What gun do you carry?

Abraham Gubler

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I am curious about .357 SIG, necked down .40 cal case with a 9mm projectile, I believe it is still legal under the our firearms laws where .40cal has been effectively banned.
.357 SIG is still legal in Oz. So is .45 but only in single action "Cowboy" sports shooting.

Eeshaan

I'm kind of ashamed to say it, but all I have is a Walther PP in .22LR. :bum

This exact model :

It's a ladies' weapon, but that's the best I could get LEGALLY.

I've wanted to own a Kimber 1911 .45 ACP, but it's not possible with the gun laws over here.

Last edited:

GI-Gizmo

Carry Firearms Response . . .

Smith & Wesson M&P

The most important thing to do before acquiring a firearm to carry is to educate
yourself about firearm safety, operations, mechanics and laws. Carrying a firearm should be viewed as a serious responsibility. In reality, it is taking on the awesome responsiblity to have the power to disable and destroy life with the movement of your finger. Handguns differ greatly in a host of different manners. There are different actions, calibers, sizes, etc. In my opinion the best handgun is the Smith & Wesson M&P series. It just feels right in your hands. It has a polymer frame, is ambidextrous for most functions, has scalloped serations for a great slide grip, comes with 3 interchangable grip sizes and has picatinny rails and tactical sights. It is an all around great, dependable and advanced pistol for all uses. It comes in 9mm, .40 S&W, .357 SIG and .45 ACP calibers.

I'm kind of ashamed to say it, but all I have is a Walther PP in .22LR. :bum

This exact model :

It's a ladies' weapon, but that's the best I could get LEGALLY. I've wanted to own a Kimber 1911 .45 ACP

Concealed carry is not legal here in the peoples Republic of Illinois, but open carry is legal in the country side. If I'm running around the family farm hunting killer Morels, I usually carry a Springfield Armory Loaded Stainless in 45 acp, it is very accurate out to at least 50yds with iron sights. Handgun hunting is legal during firearms deer season and centerfire handgun cartridges with at least 500 ft lbs of energy, of .30 caliber or greater are legal, as are shotgun slugs and blackpowder rifles. Handguns must be single shot or revolver, and I have taken Whitetail deer out to 85 yds with an iron sighted Smith and Wesson model 27 or 29, on the N frame. Your PP is actually a very practical concealed carry weapon, and in the .22 caliber you can practice enough to get good, the only caveat I would offer is that many .22 hollow points may not feed well through your Walther, and I would recommend a high velocity ball type ammo, and preferably between 300-500 rounds down range without malfunction. I carry 1 or 2 less rounds than my Beretta 70s will hold in the magazine, because that guarantees 100% functioning. I carry Hornady 200 gr JHP, which feed well from my Springfields with the 7 round Metalform magazines. I don't own an 8 round 45 magazine, because they may or may not feed reliably? Cheers Air Force Brat

Incidentally, Skeeter Skelton, Texas Lawman, and gunwriter who normally favored a 5" Smith and Wesson Model 27, carried a Walther PP in .22 Lr for backup, and was quite fond of it. I contemplated a PP in .32 caliber several days ago, but I would prefer the .22LR. Big bore handguns are a blast to shoot, and I enjoy all of mine, I particularly like N frame Smiths and the Colt 1911 style, although my .45s are Springfield Armory.Sounds like you already know about magazine springs, I would also recommend a spare recoil and firing pin spring, to hopefully keep your weapon up and running in field conditions, and do keep it clean and lightly lubed.

Last edited:
So, which gun do you conceal carry? This question may pertain more to the US users as we wide range of laws allowing users to carry concealed weapons with permit.

The state where I live, requires a permit to carry but you can own and keep a gun in your house and in your car (not sure about if its needs to be in locked compartment, I don't think so) without any permit/license. Which is great!!!

I always have a knife (spyderco tenacious) on me for last year or so but now thinking about getting concealed carry permit to carry a gun. I've got a Glock 19 9mm, great gun, but carrying that on daily basis is bulky in my opinion. There are number of options that I am considering, like the 9mm Karh PM9 or Ruger LC9, both subcompact guns and really easy to carry and conceal, especially in everyday work attire.

On the other hand, there are those people who carry guns like 1911 and Glock 17s on daily basis, I don't know how they do it.

So, what gun do you carry?
My son has a little stainless Kahr 9mm, which I have found very reliable and handy, I do wear a large ugly cheap S&W combat folder, and for nice I wear a Benchmade Griptillian with the axis lock, which works very well for one handed opening and closing, I carry the smaller one which is hardly noticable. I would recommend going to the range with friends, and shooting as many suitable weapons as possible, like bicycles and sportbikes, fit is highly personal, and vitally important if you want to hit what you are aiming at. Most importantly learn the manual of arms of your particular weapon, and never let the muzzle cover anything you do not intend to kill, and keep your finger off the trigger and alongside the trigger guard until you are ready to fire.

And don't forget a good carry rig, it is embarrasing to have to dig your .45 out of the back of your pants trying to imitate Magnum PIs, SOB tuck in jeans, and don't even think about carrying that way in the front fearless leader. Oh, and operationally nothing smaller than a .44 when troll hunting, they are highly aggressive when wounded?

Eeshaan

Your PP is actually a very practical concealed carry weapon, and in the .22 caliber you can practice enough to get good, the only caveat I would offer is that many .22 hollow points may not feed well through your Walther, and I would recommend a high velocity ball type ammo, and preferably between 300-500 rounds down range without malfunction. I carry 1 or 2 less rounds than my Beretta 70s will hold in the magazine, because that guarantees 100% functioning.
Thanks. Actually, ballpoint ammo is the only one avaliable here for the Walther PP. Problem is that alot of ammo and gun spare parts avaliable here are poor quality and/or cheaply replicated ones. It's hard enough to get reliable (original, made by known gunmakers such as Walther, Colt etc.) magazines and spare parts. The original ones are very expensive though.

I am able to jam up to 8 rounds in my mags, but I keep it at 7 ( + in in chamber) for reliability, as the locally made mags have very shoddy springs.

The gun laws here are absolute shit BTW. 9mm, .45 etc. is banned. Don't even think about owning an assault rifle, SMG, high-caliber hunting rifle etc. unless you have VERY GOOD political links.

Last edited:
Thanks. Actually, ballpoint ammo is the only one avaliable here for the Walther PP. Problem is that alot of ammo and gun spare parts avaliable here are por quality and/or cheaply replicated ones. It's hard enough to get reliable (original, made by known gunmakers such as Walther, Colt etc.) magazines and spare parts. The original ones are very expensive though.

I am able to jam up to 8 rounds in my mags, but I keep it at 7 ( + in in chamber) for reliability, as the locally made mags have very shoddy springs.

The gun laws here are absolute shit BTW. 9mm, .45 etc. is banned. Don't even think about owning an assault rifle, SMG, high-caliber hunting rifle etc. unless you have VERY GOOD political links.
Well it sounds like you are already on the right track, here in America we have been protected by the second amendment to the constitution, which is found in our bill of rights, but we still must fight the liberal onslaught of gun haters. I have a Beretta model 70s which I also load down one round for reliability, it is very accurate and even my aftermarket mag so loaded is reliable. That first round off the top often misfeeds, so one up the pipe and 7 in the magazine is a great plan.
So remember, the first rule of gunfighting is to have a gun.

It is always prudent to practice muzzle control, never allow your weapon to point at anything you don't intend to shoot, and if you have children, be sure and keep your weapon in a safe place and unloaded, if you must leave it at home. Cheers Brat

Last edited:

sgtgunn

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
When I do carry a firearm (which isn't that often) I carry a Walther PPS in .40 usually in a leather in the waistband holster. It's very small, very light and very flat. I used to carry a Para Ordnance Warthog in .45 but its profile was a bit on the thick side and despite my love of all things 1911 I never really felt 100% comfortable carrying "condition one" (cocked and locked). Great shooting gun though. Ironically as a Soldier I can't carry "on duty" lol. Though I do know many recruiters do anyways.... I do carry my issued Gerber automatic knife everywhere, as well as my leatherman (when I haven't lost it, that is. I should by stock in the leatherman co. Probably Oakley too)......

Adrian

When I do carry a firearm (which isn't that often) I carry a Walther PPS in .40 usually in a leather in the waistband holster. It's very small, very light and very flat. I used to carry a Para Ordnance Warthog in .45 but its profile was a bit on the thick side and despite my love of all things 1911 I never really felt 100% comfortable carrying "condition one" (cocked and locked). Great shooting gun though. Ironically as a Soldier I can't carry "on duty" lol. Though I do know many recruiters do anyways.... I do carry my issued Gerber automatic knife everywhere, as well as my leatherman (when I haven't lost it, that is. I should by stock in the leatherman co. Probably Oakley too)......

Adrian
Roger that Sgt, it does seem to be hard to hang on to all those goodies, I had my first Swiss army recruit for ten years, and I've lost four in the last two years, I do agree that carrying condition one requires a serious need, in fact the Israeli's carry their 45s in condition three and teach a sling shot move to rack the slide as you draw and lock on. I use the Chapman modified Weaver, and practice locking on to my front sight as I draw. Around the farm, I carry in condition three, the Springfields, Hi-Power, and Beretta 70s, are all single action and may be carried in condition one. My wife prefers a Smith and Wesson k-17, .22 Lr revolver for simplicity, and she is able to use it to advantage. My son in law is also an Army recruiter, but preparing to deploy to Germany. Brat

PCShogun

Thanks. Actually, ballpoint ammo is the only one avaliable here for the Walther PP. Problem is that alot of ammo and gun spare parts avaliable here are poor quality and/or cheaply replicated ones. It's hard enough to get reliable (original, made by known gunmakers such as Walther, Colt etc.) magazines and spare parts. The original ones are very expensive though. .
If hollow point .22 is not banned, I find that JACKETED hollow points will cycle fine in my Walther P22. The lead nosed hollow points tend to hang on the fee ramp and sometimes require a little extra umph with your thumb on the back of the slide to get it all the way into battery. Also, try high velocity rounds (not max or extreme velocity) rather than standard velocity. It causes just a tad more wear on the weapon but cycles the slide more reliably.

Eeshaan

Oh BTW I was wondering, are fully automatic and burst-fire pistols like the Glock 19 and Beretta 93R legal for civillians in USA ?

And are law enforcement officials and/or ex-military defense contractors ( PMCs) in countries like UK & Australia permitted to own burst/full-auto HANDGUNS ?

Last edited:

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Oh BTW I was wondering, are fully automatic and burst-fire pistols like the Glock 19 and Beretta 93R legal for civillians in USA ?
Fully automatic weaponry can be legally owned by civilians within the US, provided the proper licenses and paperwork is completed. However, in order for a fully automatic weapon to be legal, it needs to be properly registered (usually referred to as "papered"). IIRC the last time the registration was opened for automatic weapons was in 1968, which means newer full autos would not be registered and therefore not legal to own. There might be some exploitable loopholes where a LEO/mil. personnel could purchase/own a newer full auto, and then register that due to their status, and then have the weapon enter circulation... That honestly though one would need to carefully take up with a lawyer specializing in firearms law and/or BATFE.

-Cheers

Eeshaan

Thanks Toddjaeger.

And I think the gun laws in UK & EU, Australia etc. are a bit harsher than USA ? As in, harder for an LEO/private contractors to purchase an automatic/burst firearm ?

Edit : I meant EX-servicemembers & private military contractors/consultants etc., NOT non-active duty personnel such as army reserves etc. in my previous post. Edited that now.

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Thanks Toddjaeger.

And I think the gun laws in UK & EU, Australia etc. are a bit harsher than USA ? As in, harder for an LEO/private contractors to purchase an automatic/burst firearm ?

Edit : I meant EX-servicemembers & private military contractors/consultants etc., NOT non-active duty personnel such as army reserves etc. in my previous post. Edited that now.
No-one in Australia is allowed to privately own an operable automatic weapon of any kind and even semi-automatic weapons are highly restricted. The military, Police Tactical Teams and some other Government organisations (Customs, etc) are the only legally authorised persons to use automatic weapons in the course of their duties in this country.

We don't have a constitutional right to bear arms in the manner that the US does and I for one am VERY thankful for that!

What anyone in civilian life needs an automatic weapon for, is completely beyond my powers of comprehension, I'm afraid.

Eeshaan

I agree with you there, sir. Semi-automatic weapons such as pump-action shotguns and Rifles, pistols etc. are adequate for home-defense in civilian hands. RESPONSIBLE civilian hands.

But I think it's the people in high-risk jobs, such as law enforcement officials in less-than-safe countries like Mexico, Colombia etc. or retired servicemen who served in high risk units such as Special Forces etc., who should be allowed to carry automatic or burst fire CONCEALABLE weapons ( such as a Glock 19 or mini-Uzi), ONLY IF they feel their lives are at risk due to their service history, or dangerous living environment.

Last edited:

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
What anyone in civilian life needs an automatic weapon for, is completely beyond my powers of comprehension, I'm afraid.
Seagulls mostly, flying rats, kill them all!!!!

Sorry for the one liner but I couldn't help myself.:eek:hwell

Todjaeger

Potstirrer

If you wish to see rats with wings, take a look at NYC pigeons. There have been times when I have been in the city wished for an AA-12. And pigeons generally have been blamed for some of the decay noted in steel structures, bridges in particular. IIRC one of the interstate highway bridges which collapsed a few years ago and fell into the Mississippi River was partially blamed on accelerated corrosion due to pigeon guano.

-Cheers

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I agree with you there, sir. Semi-automatic weapons such as pump-action shotguns and Rifles, pistols etc. are adequate for home-defense in civilian hands. RESPONSIBLE civilian hands.
I've no beef with that mindset at all, I heartily agree. I might argue that military based semi-automatic weapons (M4's etc) are pushing the boundary of what ANYONE "needs" in life, but I don't begrudge anyone who wants one and is lawfully entitled to own one (or more).

But I think it's the people in high-risk jobs, such as law enforcement officials in less-than-safe countries like Mexico, Colombia etc. or retired servicemen who served in high risk units such as Special Forces etc., who should be allowed to carry automatic or burst fire CONCEALABLE weapons ( such as a Glock 19 or mini-Uzi), ONLY IF they feel their lives are at risk due to their service history, or dangerous living environment.
Some LEO and obviously military forces need automatic weapons of course as part of their duties.

Why a retired Special Force type would require automatic weapons or indeed even the right to usually carry them in daily life, I'm not quite getting.

If their life is at risk because of their former occupation, then they need more then a concealed carry automatic weapon to protect them.

Salman Rushdi has had some issues I understand, due to his former occupation. It hasn't been his carriage of automatic weapons that has protected and prolonged his life however...

People who do dangerous (or even just famous) things for a living and attract people who may want to do them harm, have to live by certain means and take certain precautions in their daily life.

I'm not sure concealable, 9mm automatic (or any other calibre) weapons is necessarily the answer though.

Whilst these people "might" be responsible, I just don't see it as necessary.

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

A .22 semi-auto with birdshot would be more appropriate...

Speaking of which, back in my uniform days I went to a job once, where a pest controller was tasked with clearing out a massive Sparrow infestation at a major suburban shopping centre.

His solution? Start blazing away with said .22 semi-auto rifle in a public place, without telling anyone, heedless of the public, the law and so on...

Good times...

:D