The new members introduction thread.

Hi everyone,

I am from Singapore and I am in my mid-30s. I am not in the defence industry but rather in Public Healthcare. I have zero experience in private defence and security industry. I have an interest in military history. I only have very rudimentary understanding of military technology and weapon platforms. I have been lurking around here for quite some time and do feel very intimidated by the level of knowledge here. But I do hope to be able to contribute soon.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to DefenceTalk! Don’t worry about your lack of understanding of military technology, as we are all here to learn from each other. Thanks for posting as a new member, instead of just lurking. Do tell your friends about Defencetalk and come chat with us.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Lone Ranger, a warm welcome to DefenceTalk!

Don’t worry, just be open and receptive to comments and approach discussions as a chance to learn from others. I take corrections as a learning opportunity and not a pissing contest — I have done fine, so far.

Welcome to DefenceTalk! Don’t worry about your lack of understanding of military technology, as we are all here to learn from each other. Thanks for posting as a new member, instead of just lurking. Do tell your friends about Defencetalk and come chat with us.
@OPSSG, thank you very much for the warm welcome! I hope to learn from fellow members in this forum.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
@traveller29071985 & @Lone Ranger , welcome aboard. Nice to see another two Singaporean posters here. @OPSSG will be pleased to have some more of his countrymen here. Please take the time to read the rules because it means knowing them will lessen your chances of encountering grumpy Moderators. We look forward to your posts on here and no question asked once is a stupid question. You will most definitely learn things here, but also we will most likely learn things from your posts as well, so it's a two way street.

@traveller29071985 & @Lone Ranger , welcome aboard. Nice to see another two Singaporean posters here. @OPSSG will be pleased to have some more of his countrymen here. Please take the time to read the rules because it means knowing them will lessen your chances of encountering grumpy Moderators. We look forward to your posts on here and no question asked once is a stupid question. You will most definitely learn things here, but also we will most likely learn things from your posts as well, so it's a two way street.
Thank you very much. From my perspective, I can only hope to contribute as a conscript soldier, although there are clear limits to what I can say and what I cannot say. There will be issues that I will not comment on.

I have some practical experiemce, but limited,on vehicle repair and maintenance and have work experience in the oil and gas industry.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Thank you very much. From my perspective, I can only hope to contribute as a conscript soldier, although there are clear limits to what I can say and what I cannot say. There will be issues that I will not comment on.

I have some practical experiemce, but limited,on vehicle repair and maintenance and have work experience in the oil and gas industry.
We understand OPSEC because some of us are either ex or serving military. Most of the Moderators fit that category and we do take OPSEC very seriously.

AustinPowers

Hello. I am new member from Canada, Ontario. Good to join the board. I will make good contributions. Hope I make new friends here. Cheers.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
The forum welcomes logical members who are here to make friends and learn from others. Please read the Forum rules, before posting. This includes rules 14, 15 and 23, as follows:
14. You must post source of your information/articles ( link, website, book, magazine, etc.).
15. You must have fun and let others do the same.
23. There is both an expectation and requirement that members will put some effort into what they post with research, providing facts and links where appropriate and associated posting behaviors, to maintain the quality and level of discussion on DefenceTalk

@AustinPowers you are not here to make friends. Congrats on ignoring multiple Mod Team warnings before being awarded a permanent ban within the same day. This is fact based, moderated forum.
Hello. I am new member from Canada, Ontario. Good to join the board. I will make good contributions. Hope I make new friends here. Cheers.
I don’t think you are suitable to be a member of this forum, as you are disagreeable to kind guidance by other senior forum members who provided factual replies to you — that you have ignored or replied with counter-factual posts — with the Mod Team having to issue a source challenge, or delete some of your posts that are calculated to cause offence to others.
Obviously. COVID-19 will eventually infect hundreds of millions as did H1N1. Those who are released from hospital are carriers who in turn infect others upon returning home.

Mod edit: Again, provide proof of the claim that people released from hospitals after being diagnosed and treated for COVID-19 are carriers who then infect others. At present there have been reports of some patients in S. Korea who were re-tested and came back positive following release but that doesn't support the blanket claim being made.
-Preceptor
Idiots like you are the biggest threat to human lives during a pandemic.
Would you rather tank the economy and have millions laid off instead of letting nature do its job? You can't stop nature. You can't stop virus. Let nature do its job and let people live their normal lives. Lift the curfew.
You are much worse than those socially irresponsible idiots. In this group I include those who go out drinking at bars or insisting on attending concerts during a pandemic, or the entitled anti-Vaxxers, like Edwin Tamasese, in Samoa, who was arrested for claiming that a vitamin mix sent from overseas anti-vaxxers will save children from measles (see: Anti-vax groups swamp Samoan government's online pages during massive vaccination campaign). I note that some members of the press engage in some level of fear mongering and the forum is intended to provide a sanctuary for informed members to share and learn from each other.
What does not kill you makes you stronger. Virus is necessary for evolution. Virus kills the weak and retains the strong. Without virus the gene pool will become weak over time. Virus is nature's maintenance of balance. Nature has balance. Humans are the worst creation of nature. They destroy. They plunder. They multiply. They damage the planet's wildlife. They pollute. They consume without self control.
Why would you say humans = pests, during a pandemic?

You are more like those counter-factual people with an agenda, like Eduardo Moreno in the US (who crashed a train in his attempt to impede the arrival of a hospital ship).

Last edited:

Redlands18

The forum welcomes logical members who are here to make friends and learn from others. Please read the Forum rules, before posting. This includes rules 14, 15 and 23, as follows:

14. You must post source of your information/articles ( link, website, book, magazine, etc.).

15. You must have fun and let others do the same.

23. There is both an expectation and requirement that members will put some effort into what they post with research, providing facts and links where appropriate and associated posting behaviors, to maintain the quality and level of discussion on DefenceTalk

@AustinPowers you are not here to make friends. Congrats on ignoring multiple Mod Team warnings before being awarded a permanent ban within the same day. This is fact based, moderated forum.

I don’t think you are suitable to be a member of this forum, as you are disagreeable to kind guidance by other senior forum members who provided factual replies to you — that you have ignored or replied with counter-factual posts — with the Mod Team having to issue a source challenge, or delete some of your posts that are calculated to cause offence to others.

Idiots like you are the biggest threat to human lives during a pandemic.

You are much worse than those socially irresponsible idiots. In this group I include those who go out drinking at bars or insisting on attending concerts during a pandemic, or the entitled anti-Vaxxers, like Edwin Tamasese, in Samoa, who was arrested for claiming that a vitamin mix sent from overseas anti-vaxxers will save children from measles (see: Anti-vax groups swamp Samoan government's online pages during massive vaccination campaign). I note that some members of the press engage in fear mongering and the forum is intended to provide a sanctuary for informed members to share and learn from each other.

Why would you say humans = pests, during a pandemic?

You are more like those counter-factual people with an agenda, like Eduardo Moreno in the US (who crashed a train in his attempt to impede the arrival of a hospital ship).
I have to admit the name this person chose immediately threw up a red flag for me, if you are not aware of it, Austin Powers is a comedic Spy spoof of the James Bond Movies starring Mike Myers.

Last edited by a moderator:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have to admit the name this person chose immediately threw up a red flag for me, if you are not aware of it, Austin Powers is a comedic Spy spoof of the James Bond Movies starring Mike Myers.
Big fan of the Austin Powers series. It is a well loved movie franchise in Singapore.

Let me share a bit of trivia — In Austin Powers in Goldmember (3rd movie and the least funny), the Japanese bad guy (aka the Roboto Industries security guard) carried a SAR-21 and also in the Austinpussy segment of the start of the film, Mini Me (being played by Danny DeVito in a cameo appearance) is seen firing a Ultimax 100 Mk.3 light machine gun fitted with a 100 round drum magazine.
The above video clip opens with a self-parody of the Austin Powers film series called Austinpussy, that is directed by Steven Spielberg, also staring Tom Cruise (as Austin Powers), Gwyneth Paltrow (as Dixie Normous), and Kevin Spacey (as Dr. Evil). But the funniest in the series was the second movie, The Spy who Shagged Me.

Last edited:

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Mike Myers should be our PM, even if he only does a marginally better job than junior...at least he’ll be more entertaining.

ELSS_26

hi guys, i am from singapore. Been reading you guys posting for couple of years before decided to be member. I am not in the defence industries but my passion started when SAF was having AMX13 and M113, Air force were just A4 skyhawks and hawker Hunter while our RSN strike craft were MGB sea lion, Sea dragon. There was very limited information on these during those days. i remembered hiding in MPH at stamford road reading books on "Armed Forces of the World", "Air Forces of The Word" etc. Just to find out how many fighter/bomber aircrafts, tanks Singapore own. haha....
Really enjoyed reading you guys write out, really informative. Keep it up! Thanks!!

DAVID DUNLOP

Hello AustinPowers! Good to hear from a fellow Canuck! I'm a "BLUE NOSER" but don't let that scare you and don't let some members "get to you". They are just trying to have fun with you. Just follow the rules and remember to validate everything that is factual and you will get along fine. Trust me, I have learned from experience. Ha! Cheers!;)

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hello AustinPowers! Good to hear from a fellow Canuck! I'm a "BLUE NOSER" but don't let that scare you and don't let some members "get to you". They are just trying to have fun with you.
Just a quick note to let you know that AustinPowers will not be able to reply. To maintain forum hygiene and given his refusal to heed multiple warnings, AustinPowers has been banned and a number of his more offensive posts deleted.
Just follow the rules and remember to validate everything that is factual and you will get along fine.
This is a point we can agree on. Thank you for guiding new members.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
i remembered hiding in MPH at stamford road reading books on "Armed Forces of the World", "Air Forces of The Word" etc. Just to find out how many fighter/bomber aircrafts, tanks Singapore own. haha....
I was doing the same thing at MPH at Stamford Road, when I was in primary school.
Really enjoyed reading you guys write out, really informative. Keep it up! Thanks!!
There are a number of threads related to AirPower that may be of interest to you:
Please feel free to share your thoughts or ask any questions about the SAF in the following threads:
After you are done with reading a post, you can react to it (by liking or choosing another reaction to it). This gives valuable feedback to the writer and we are grateful to the Webmaster for this upgrade to the forum.

Last edited:

DAVID DUNLOP

Just a quick note to let you know that AustinPowers will not be able to reply. To maintain forum hygiene and given his refusal to heed multiple warnings, AustinPowers has been banned and a number of his more offensive posts deleted.

This is a point we can agree on. Thank you for guiding new members.
Sorry OPSSG. Didn't realize AustinPowers fate had been sanctioned. Cheers!o_O