The new members introduction thread.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
former military armorer.
curious on your background. small arms or heavy?

the reason I ask is that I have a vested interest. my daughter is a small arms arnourer and is about to go off and work on a few movies in ireland and morocco as the films asst armourer. I've also been involved with small arms projects in an earlier life...

Spetsznaz

Hello, thank you for joining, if you could it would be nice if you could provide a little bio, about yourself. Just for everyone to get know you a little better.

TuefelHundenIV

curious on your background. small arms or heavy?

the reason I ask is that I have a vested interest. my daughter is a small arms arnourer and is about to go off and work on a few movies in ireland and morocco as the films asst armourer. I've also been involved with small arms projects in an earlier life...
A bit of both. Ive done common assault rifles, almost all M-16's Ar-15, M-4's, Machine Guns light Medium and heavy, mortars, rocket launchers, and one type of anti-material rifle. Almost forgot shotguns, Grenade Launchers, and pistols. These could either be vehicle mounted versions or crew served weapons or individual arms.

We were unofficially shown the basics of recoiless rifle too. Those things are cool.

Kilo 2-3

Introduction

My name is Kilo 2-3. As you may have guessed, I'm new to Defence Talk.

I currently reside in the United States, where I have lived my entire life, outside of some long travels to Africa, S. American, etc. I'm mostly interested in military history, although I have an expanding interest in more modern military affairs, military aviation, and naval warfare.

I'm not a military or defense professional, and my knowledge in some areas is somewhat limited, however, I will do my best to learn from my mistakes and to debate with frankness and respect.

Spetsznaz

My name is Kilo 2-3. As you may have guessed, I'm new to Defence Talk.

I currently reside in the United States, where I have lived my entire life, outside of some long travels to Africa, S. American, etc. I'm mostly interested in military history, although I have an expanding interest in more modern military affairs, military aviation, and naval warfare.

I'm not a military or defense professional, and my knowledge in some areas is somewhat limited, however, I will do my best to learn from my mistakes and to debate with frankness and respect.
Hi, I hope you like DT, its always great to hear from new members, part of the reason DT is awesome is because unlike other Military forums it has a large number of active "Personnel"

Bigfella69

Hi All

Yet another Aussie. Directed here by one of your mods who I met on the rapidly dying StrategyPage (don't worry, I'm housetrained). I mostly post on World Affairs Board where the broader focus on politics & history suits my interests, but I'm always interested in up to date & quality info on military affairs. Attempting to complete a PhD on media & the Vietnam War (with limited success). I'll probably limit my posting to such political forums as exist, but I might chime in here or there if I think I have something to say.

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Hi BigFella,

Welcome to DefenceTalk mate! Since you made it here, make sure others know the way as well. ;)

Enjoy!

Herodotus

Hello

Hello All:

I found this forum's link posted on a strategypage forum and thought it looked interesting. I hope you don't mind. :) Anyway a bit about myself: I have posted on strategypage and world affairs board where I have met bigfella and have read gf-aust.

My educational background is more broadly focused on the poltiics and history of international relations from the macro level, but looking for a fourm that focuses on the micro level of defense issues specifically weapons platforms, what they do, how they work, etc.

I have next to no knowledge on platforms so I will be asking more questions than answering them. Anyway this forum looks like the place for military talk, and miltary talk that does not devolve into political talk and inevitable partisanship, as I have seen on other forums.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
welcome all to SP.

for those that know me, my apols in advance if you don't see me for the next week or so. I'm about to head off to a naval conf so won't be back on here until the start of next week.

I trust you enjoy yourselves and look forward to catching up with you at some time.

for those who have PM'd me about tech issues etc.. again my apols for my absence but things have been a tad hectic.

Next week should be better...

A

Aussie Digger

welcome all to SP.

for those that know me, my apols in advance if you don't see me for the next week or so. I'm about to head off to a naval conf so won't be back on here until the start of next week.

I trust you enjoy yourselves and look forward to catching up with you at some time.

for those who have PM'd me about tech issues etc.. again my apols for my absence but things have been a tad hectic.

Next week should be better...
Welcome all to DT... :p:

dylan.howorka

Hi everyone.
My name is Dylan and i currently attend College in Tasmania, Australia. I intend on pursuing a career in the Australian Defence Force at the end of the year. I thought i would learn as much as military life before hand and thought this would be the best place to learn from someone with more knowledge than myself! Enjoying the site a lot.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hello All:

I found this forum's link posted on a strategypage forum and thought it looked interesting. I hope you don't mind. :) Anyway a bit about myself: I have posted on strategypage and world affairs board where I have met bigfella and have read gf-aust.

My educational background is more broadly focused on the poltiics and history of international relations from the macro level, but looking for a fourm that focuses on the micro level of defense issues specifically weapons platforms, what they do, how they work, etc.

I have next to no knowledge on platforms so I will be asking more questions than answering them. Anyway this forum looks like the place for military talk, and miltary talk that does not devolve into political talk and inevitable partisanship, as I have seen on other forums.
Welcome to a place with a slightly more polite crowd. Glad to see you here. Hope to read more of your posts. :D

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi everyone.
My name is Dylan and i currently attend College in Tasmania, Australia. I intend on pursuing a career in the Australian Defence Force at the end of the year. I thought i would learn as much as military life before hand and thought this would be the best place to learn from someone with more knowledge than myself! Enjoying the site a lot.
Good luck. Remember to run more in your spare time and take care of your knees and ankles, when running - warm up and warm down so that you are well conditioned when you enlist. As a conscript in the late 1980s, I lost 5-8kg in basic training.