The new members introduction thread.

benherrmann

Hello all - from Central North Carolina, USA

By way of introduction, my name is Ben Herrmann and I'm a retired US Marine Corps veteran (26 years of active service). I was also born in Germany in 1949 and am the son of a former WW II Panzer Officer (now deceased). We emigrated to the US in the mid 1950's and subsequently became naturalized citizens.

Looking forward to posting here....and I have just one question? In which forum does one post about the German Bundeswehr, in particular, their contemporary low standards in personal appearance, dress, and physical fitness?

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
By way of introduction, my name is Ben Herrmann and I'm a retired US Marine Corps veteran (26 years of active service). I was also born in Germany in 1949 and am the son of a former WW II Panzer Officer (now deceased). We emigrated to the US in the mid 1950's and subsequently became naturalized citizens.

Looking forward to posting here....and I have just one question? In which forum does one post about the German Bundeswehr, in particular, their contemporary low standards in personal appearance, dress, and physical fitness?
Welcome to the forum Ben. The most appropriate forum for that would be under Army & Security Forces, I am not sure that there's a Bundeswehr thread already in there but a search should turn one up if there is. If you have things to say on the topic then by all means bring the thread back to life or, if you prefer, start a thread all of your own, to better concentrate on your specific interest. There are a few German members on the forums who may participate in such a thread.

In addition due to your service, after some time here we may ask you if you want a blue handle, denoting the poster has worked in a real life military context. Normally we ask for some proof of this, but it is best discussed later, as we tend to give people some time to get them used to the forums and for us to get used to their posting behaviour. I'll give you the heads up at an appropriate time. Other than that, welcome. :)

White Water

Greetings! I am a retired engineer (MS deg.) from the US. (currently in Far East). I worked in commercial side. I did a lot of dead reckoning from an unknown point in my career. I am interested in world affairs and defense matters. No military nor defense experience.
So, I will probably just look around a lot, unless some comments start defy elementary physics!

Jay R

Introduction

Hello all,

I am here to improve my knowledge on aviation. I am willing to have a career in Air Force. Hope I will improve my knowledge here!

Thanks.

Pirilampo

Hi, I am Matheus, I am a brazilian marine, I am here for upgrade my english knowledge and learn about military experiences and news of another countries.

Boagrius

Hi all,

Longtime reader of both this site and T5C. Work as a Science Teacher full time in Sydney and have had a lifelong interest in Defence matters. Also a milsim enthusiast in my spare time. Looking forward to participating some more!

paul.branon

Hello, (psych?) intro and a bit of a mixed bag.

Hello, Paul here,

This is my first post, which comprises a little of everything. I'm not quite sure where the best place is for it. I believe it's psychological, more than military. But., I'm not entirely sure. The issue has to do with retreating.

Once, many years ago, a wing commander at karate class gave me some advice about advancing under fire. I expect that I was interested in regard to the Territorial Army. Anyhow, his recommendation was, in general, go forward. It puts me in mind of Wellington's phrase they came on in the same old way.

My query, which is a general one, has to do with going backwards. I'm mindful that some of the worst disasters have happened to footsoldiers fleeing in disorder; they've been cut to pieces. I know nothing about mounting a rearguard action. But, I'm guessing that, without one, you run the risk of being annihilated.

I didn't ask the wing commander what he meant, exactly. But, I suspect he had something similar in mind. It's advice that has resonated with me and served me in good stead for many years. I haven't actually fought battles, well, not military ones. But, from time to time, I wonder if avoiding chaotic disaster could have been at the heart of what he meant.

Sorry, if none of this makes any sense.

Regards and thanks,

Paul B.

Rising Eagle

Long time lurker of the news portion of this site, finally decided to sign up for the forum.

Put you guys on adblock exclusion.

Redrighthand

Another lurker who's decided to throw in. I'm a long time reader of military history, and a wargamer, and obviously interested in the current state of affairs. There's some really interesting discussion here. Just a quick question, though, are possible political resolutions discussed here, or is the focus on the "last argument of kings", as it were?

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another lurker who's decided to throw in. I'm a long time reader of military history, and a wargamer, and obviously interested in the current state of affairs. There's some really interesting discussion here. Just a quick question, though, are possible political resolutions discussed here, or is the focus on the "last argument of kings", as it were?
We try to keep political discussion to a minimum, as previous experience has shown us that such things can quickly derail a thread into arguments that have little to do with the topic so much as they do personal opinion. Thus, although it can sometimes be highly relevant, we try to reign such things in before they go too far.

Beyond that, welcome to the forums and I hope you enjoy your stay. Take a look at the forum rules when you get a chance.

Belesarius

Hi.

Belesarius here.

Canadian Defense enthusiast who looks for all sorts of interesting stuff from all over the web. Thanks to a couple of folks in the Naval discussion posting information about the new Canadian frigate I'm out of lurking. Hoping to find this a useful source of information and discussion. I'm hoping to be able to contribute here as well.

Sarkknight

New guy

Hello people I am Sarthak or Sark a 16 year old chap from India and a fellow defence enthusiast. I am in High school and I have my own blog at Defence-blog . I love to read ,write,watch anime and listen to music. I up for a good debate on International politics and weapons and trust me I won't disappoint you. Feel free to message me :D

Mr.Volt

Greetings.
I'am a military enthusiast and collector.
I highly appreciate this forum for it's balanced discussions and as a database for valuable information and documents.
I hope to contribute in the development of such a great resource.

Looking forward to find like-minded people here.

Dave__

Hello everyone,

My name is David, I am from the country of Georgia. Have international relations/security/geopolitics background.