Russian Navy Discussions and Updates

KiwiRob

Also It's very possible that the LK-110ya get cut, and instead we see a bigger series of the LK-60ya.
From what I've heard two more LK-60 vessels are to be ordered, I was told it will most likely be announced at NEVA in September.

Kramnik says subs awaiting modernization, but money being cut, costs of moderization are reaching new build.

https://lenta.ru/articles/2017/07/15/notenoughmoney/

There might be small cuts to the Russian defense budget. The Russian Defence ministry, state and private defense companies combined employ millions of people, so I think major cuts are non starter. I guess Putin wants starting investing more money into social spending. Russia is in a good position for the short and long term.

Tsavo Lion

Banned Member
Don't be silly. Russia and China are nowhere near that close.
Not yet, but they now practice their interoperability in different seas around Eurasia. It's their answer to India, Japan, SK & USA combined exercises. http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/1...ndia-us-japan-hold-exercises-under-china.html
http://www.hindustantimes.com/india...e-concludes/story-4nTW5lmHQHsC8i0nwz760J.html
A Russian-Chinese Naval Partnership?
Russian Navy to use hypersonic missiles and robots after 2025

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thank you for sharing!
Its very hard to get information on the internet about these projects.
I only wonder if the Status-6 media leak from November 2015 about these extremely secret projects, is an 'accidently leak on purpose' or pure stupidity.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was done on purpose.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
Twin island layout, shades of the QE there - in the QE's case, each island has a GT underneath it for survivability, presumably they're just going tor distribution of function here.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Twin island layout, shades of the QE there - in the QE's case, each island has a GT underneath it for survivability, presumably they're just going tor distribution of function here.
It's just a paper project for now. It's not clear that it will ever get built. So far the biggest problem with large warships hasn't been the ship itself but the systems integration. It's what has kept the Gorshkov under construction and in trials for this long. I wouldn't read too much into current models.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some interesting news. There's an upgrade project for the 1155 fleet, with Admiral Shaposhnikov being the first. It appears they will replace the Rastrub with X-35 launchers, and replace one of the 100mm turrets with 16 UKSK cells, giving it a half-decent cruise missile capability. It's unclear what, if any, upgrades the sensors will get. Honestly this is a much needed upgrade for the VMF workhorse.

При модернизации на БПК "Маршал Шапошников" уÑтановÑÑ‚ два Ð¼Ð¾Ð´ÑƒÐ»Ñ Ð£Ð’ÐŸÐ£ 3С-14 - nortwolf_sam

Also a look at Severanaya shipyard, note the high state of completion on both the second 22350 and the first 20385.

ПÐО СудоÑтроительный завод "Ð¡ÐµÐ²ÐµÑ€Ð½Ð°Ñ Ð²ÐµÑ€Ñ„ÑŒ" ÑÐµÐ³Ð¾Ð´Ð½Ñ - bmpd

EDIT: The 6th Buyan-M is undergoing degaussing in Novorossiysk. Currently 3 ships of the type serve in the Caspian flotilla and 2 are in the Baltic fleet. I think it's very likely it will begin service in the Black Sea Fleet, make a trip or two to the Mediterranean with the new traditional cruise missile strike into Syria, and then it will join the Baltic Fleet like the previous two ships.

https://sdelanounas.ru/blogs/96986/

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

Thanks for sharing.
In the article about 20385 and 22350, they also talk about Project 18280 Ivan Khurs, what are they telling about it?

Sandhi Yudha

They mention it's nearing completion.
Thank you.

Here an article from 30-08-2017 about the new Project 22160 with a nice photo of it.
https://bmpd.livejournal.com/2818298.html

I was thinking about this:
The 800 tons 65 meters long Project 22800 Karakurt corvettes (with a range of 4600 km and an endurance of 15 days) are intended to be a more seaworthy, blue water complement to the 949 tons 75 meters long Buyan-M class corvettes (range 4300 km, endurance 10 days), which had been designed for the littoral zone. And then we have the 1500 tons 94 meters long Project 22160 patrol boats with an endurance of 60 days.....
That doesnt make sense to me, Project 22160 makes Project 22800 quite useless in my opinion....

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thank you.

Here an article from 30-08-2017 about the new Project 22160 with a nice photo of it.
https://bmpd.livejournal.com/2818298.html

I was thinking about this:
The 800 tons 65 meters long Project 22800 Karakurt corvettes (with a range of 4600 km and an endurance of 15 days) are intended to be a more seaworthy, blue water complement to the 949 tons 75 meters long Buyan-M class corvettes (range 4300 km, endurance 10 days), which had been designed for the littoral zone. And then we have the 1500 tons 94 meters long Project 22160 patrol boats with an endurance of 60 days.....
That doesnt make sense to me, Project 22160 makes Project 22800 quite useless in my opinion....
The 22160 is essentially a patrol boat rather then a full fledged combat vessel. It can potentially be utilized as a Kalibr-carrier, but it has weaker AA, while carrying a helicopter and a considerable fuel supply for it. Basically it's a perfect vessel for things like anti-piracy missions, with a secondary capability of carrying extra Kalibr missiles. It's also bigger, has more autonomy, and is more expensive. While 22800s are just extra Kalibr tubes, and extra CIWS, to reinforce a VMF taskforce.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some footage from Baltic Fleet exercises. It should be noted that the X-35U has been battle-tested against land targets in Syria, and can presumably be used from the same launchers. Which means all the 20380s and Bal AShM units now have LACM capabilities with a range of ~260 kms.

https://nortwolf-sam.livejournal.com/2036261.html

It appears that later project 22800s will carry additional radars as well as the Pantsyr-S.

https://sdelanounas.ru/blogs/98121/

OKR Lider has been officially confirmed as nuclear.

https://ria.ru/arms/20170831/1501443365.html

Ivan Gren at de-gaussing, again.

https://mil-avia.livejournal.com/441870.html

New boilers for the Admiral Kuznetsov.

nortwolf-sam: Ðовые котлы Ð´Ð»Ñ Ð¢ÐВКР "Ðдмирал флота СоветÑкого Союза Кузнецов"

New upgrades for the Shaposhnikov, two UKSK modules (16 cells) and X-35 launchers. The Rastrub launchers have been removed so the most logical location for the X-35 is in their place, but also a crane assembly has been removed, which means they might be putting the X-35s in that location, with something else to go in place of the rather gigantic Rastrub.

Метаморфоза "Шапошникова" - Флот открытого океана: Ñ‚Ñ€ÐµÑ‚ÑŒÑ Ð¿Ð¾Ð¿Ñ‹Ñ‚ÐºÐ°

And it appears that the UKSK cells on the 21631 and 11356 can not carry the Onyx/Yakhont missiles. Only the Kalibr family. This is a strange and unfortunate stcoming.

КБСМ: УКСК Ñ "ОникÑом" и без - Флот открытого океана: Ñ‚Ñ€ÐµÑ‚ÑŒÑ Ð¿Ð¾Ð¿Ñ‹Ñ‚ÐºÐ°

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Updates.

The third 11356 has officially been handed over. The ship was completed back in 2016 but has spent over a year doing trials for a new SAM. Meanwhile the 22350 has been delayed until the next year due to MoD requirement of repeated testing of all systems. The second 22350 nears completion in the meantime.

Подписан приемный акт на фрегат "Адмирал Макаров"
Сдача фрегата "Адмирал Флота Советского Союза Горшков" перенесена на 2018 год

Two project 12341 missile boats of the Pacific Fleet are going to be re-armed with the X-35 missile. The VMF currently has plans to retain at least one small missile boat with the X-35 in each fleet, to serve as a practice target launcher, but this may go beyond that as larger ocean-going vessels are delayed and even the 22800s for the Pacific Fleet are still some time away.

МРК проекта 12341 будут перевооружены на Ракетный комплекс "Уран"

Another Ka-29 helo returns to service. The type was almost completely out of action only a few years ago with only 4 flying helos, but now the number of flying helos is somewhere between 15-30, with more coming online.

Отремонтированный вертолет Ка-29 на Балтийском флоте

Two small hovercraft have been ordered for the VMF, for use on Arctic patrol vessels.

Для ВМФ России заказаны два катера на воздушной подушке типа "Манул" проекта 23321

Haavarla

Thanks for the update Feanor.
I guess we can say the Lider project will be a paper project atleast out this Decade. Its just to expensive at the moment. And Russia have signaled a reduction of its defense budget over the next 4 years period.

But lets give credit where credit's due, i kind of like(respect) the Kalibr'zation of the RuNavy we are seeing now. It is a truly Game changer with the regards of power projection and balance of regional firepower as a whole. The Kalibr'zation of RuNavy will have a huge impact on many other segments, like the INF treaty etc.
As we know from history, the intent and purpose of INF treaty gained US a lot more than it did Russia. This due to the AEGIS and Cruise missile capability of US Navy, and the lack of it in the RuNavy. IMO the Navy was not part of the INF treaty.

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the update Feanor.
I guess we can say the Lider project will be a paper project atleast out this Decade. Its just to expensive at the moment.And Rusia have signaled a reduction of its defense budget on the next 4 years period.

But lets give credit where credit's due, i kind of like(respect) the Kalibr'zation of the RuNavy we are seeing now. It is a truly Game changer with the regards of power projection and balance of regional firepower as a whole. The Kalibr'zation of RuNavy will have a huge impact on many other segments, like the INF treaty etc.
As we know from history, the intent and purpose of INF treaty gained US a lot more than it did Russia. This due to the AEGIS and Cruise missile capability of US Navy, and thereof the lack of it in the RuNavy. IMO the Navy was not part of the INF treaty.
I think the VMF will primarily have to make due with a handful of new frigates and upgraded 1155s. The 1155.1 that was in repairs is now also slated to be upgraded, possibly with the same refit as the Shaposhnikov. OKR Lider will possibly be laid down next decade, hopefully in a more reasonable and downsized form.