Russian Navy Discussions and Updates

kev 99

Some updates.

Two new ship models surfaced at the recent display in St. Petersburg. One is a new 1980 tonn displacement corvette with allegedly 24 UKSK cells and a separate SAM VLS for 16 longer range and 32 short range missiles. The other looks like an upsized 22350. While there is a 22350M project in the works, the previous renders depicted a different design. It's supposed to be bigger by 2000 tonns. If this project goes ahead, then it could effectively replace the destroyers as the main blue-water combat vessel for the VMF. Personally I think this is a much more reasonable and realistic proposition then the ridiculous nuclear battlecruiser under OKR Lider.
That would be a great deal more sensible, the mock up looks like a pretty decent destroyer design, ossibly with a radar upgrade or at least a higher mast.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh, I see. Thanks!
Here a remarkable report.
Russian MoD Approves Project 23560 Leader-class Nuclear-Powered Destroyer Preliminary Design

But still I can't believe that the program of 12 cruisers will become reality..
What you told us about an enlarged 22350 has much more chance to be that.
The total proposed number of ships was cut down to 8, allegedly. Also with the current budget cuts they might end up choosing the smaller and lower-end version of this project, with gas-turbine plants. Things are kind of in flux right now.

Tsavo Lion

Banned Member
The newest Russian Navy destroyer "Leader" will be nuclear powered
http://www.ng.ru/news/586620.html?print=Y
New super icebreaker:
..the “Lider” will be 205 meter long and have a deadweight of at least 55,000 tons. It will have a nuclear powered engine based on two new-model RITM-400 with an effect of at least 110 MW. https://thebarentsobserver.com/en/a...ys-new-monster-icebreaker-will-become-reality
For comparison, the reactors on the Nimitz class CVNs have 104MW output https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A4W_reactor
So, Russia will have these or similar reactors for her future nuclear a/c carriers.

Ranger25

Staff member
The newest Russian Navy destroyer "Leader" will be nuclear powered
http://www.ng.ru/news/586620.html?print=Y
New super icebreaker:

For comparison, the reactors on the Nimitz class CVNs have 104MW output https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A4W_reactor
So, Russia will have these or similar reactors for her future nuclear a/c carriers.
Looks like more in the 17,500 tons range. 55,000 would be larger than WWII battleships.

The new warship is classified as a destroyer but will displace 17,500 metric tons, with a length of 200m (656.2ft) and a beam of 20m (65.6ft)—making it larger than most World War II-era heavy cruisers. Indeed, the Leader-class—which is expected to be armed with no fewer than 200 missiles—will be the second largest modern surface combatants built after the four massive 28,000-ton nuclear-powered Project 1144 Orlan battle-cruisers (better known as the Kirov-class).

No doubt a relevant and much needed class for the Russian Navy but continues to slip further behind schedule

Russian Navy Project 23560 Leader-class Nuclear-Powered Destroyers to Slip Behind Schedule

Russia's Plans for New Nuclear Carriers And Destroyers Delayed Indefinitely - The Drive

Redlands18

Looks like more in the 17,500 tons range. 55,000 would be larger than WWII battleships.

The new warship is classified as a destroyer but will displace 17,500 metric tons, with a length of 200m (656.2ft) and a beam of 20m (65.6ft)—making it larger than most World War II-era heavy cruisers. Indeed, the Leader-class—which is expected to be armed with no fewer than 200 missiles—will be the second largest modern surface combatants built after the four massive 28,000-ton nuclear-powered Project 1144 Orlan battle-cruisers (better known as the Kirov-class).

No doubt a relevant and much needed class for the Russian Navy but continues to slip further behind schedule

Russian Navy Project 23560 Leader-class Nuclear-Powered Destroyers to Slip Behind Schedule

Russia's Plans for New Nuclear Carriers And Destroyers Delayed Indefinitely - The Drive
More Russian Paper designs, they are very good at that, building them, not so much. If the Russians had built every ship they had released as a intended "project" the Russian Navy would dwarf the USN.:smilie

The Russians use universal mobile masts and elevated SAM towers for enhanced low altitude radar coverage, so the current design fits Russian military doctrine.
All the talk about Russian military finances is basically hot air. The Chinese natural gas pipeline and several Russian LNG, natural gas, and oil projects will start increasing production over coming years. Unless the energy market collapses, the Russians will be in better financial situation in the future. The Russian nuclear forces moderization should be completed will before 2025. Starting in 2025, I think Lider production would have ramped up, to meet the decommising of several Russian major combatant types in the early 2030s. The costs of the U.S. nuclear moderization plans are staggering. So most of the drop in defense spending could be natural or it could be the fianacially based, but I highly doubt that scenario.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Russians use universal mobile masts and elevated SAM towers for enhanced low altitude radar coverage, so the current design fits Russian military doctrine.
All the talk about Russian military finances is basically hot air. The Chinese natural gas pipeline and several Russian LNG, natural gas, and oil projects will start increasing production over coming years. Unless the energy market collapses, the Russians will be in better financial situation in the future. The Russian nuclear forces moderization should be completed will before 2025. Starting in 2025, I think Lider production would have ramped up, to meet the decommising of several Russian major combatant types in the early 2030s. The costs of the U.S. nuclear moderization plans are staggering. So most of the drop in defense spending could be natural or it could be the fianacially based, but I highly doubt that scenario.
What exactly OKR Lider will produce remains to be seen. Speculation now ranges from a nuclear battlecruiser to a medium destroyer with a gas-turbine plant. I think 11356s and 22350s are the future of the Russian Navy, with an up-sized 22350M that might fill in the destroyer role.

USAF77

Banned Member
Don't be silly. Russia and China are nowhere near that close.
LOL They probably both saw it as an opportunity to observe, and maybe steal, tech from each other. They are big competitors in the same export market and China has made the game interesting with their recent round of systems. Most of all aircraft, even civilian aircraft, and missilery.

ChrisLee1971

Northern Fleet’s voyage to the Baltic.

In case anybody is still unaware, warships of the Northern Fleet are heading to the Baltic to take part in the Navy Day celebration in Saint-Petersburg. And the mass media started to report on Russia’s plans in February 2017.

No sooner had the omnipresent Russian battlecruiser Pyotr Velikiy and destroyer Vice-Admiral Kulakov finished their mission in Syria than they were scheduled to sail to the Baltic Sea. But what really deserves attention is that they take along the nuclear ballistic missile submarine Dmitriy Donskoy.

It seems to me that the sub is chosen to perform as a leading actor in the play staged by the Kremlin. But wouldn’t it be challenging for the organizer to find enough room on stage for such an actor?

Measuring 574-foot in length, Dmitriy Donskoy is the world’s largest nuclear ballistic missile submarine. And one of the most feared, too. The massive sub is big enough to hold a crew of more than 160. She has six torpedo tubes and is able to carry an arsenal of 200 weapons on board including 20 nuclear missiles.

I guess, this time Dmitriy Donskoy is set to serve as a reminder to the Baltic region about Russia’s nuclear prowess.

Enzo1982

In case anybody is still unaware, warships of the Northern Fleet are heading to the Baltic to take part in the Navy Day celebration in Saint-Petersburg. And the mass media started to report on Russia’s plans in February 2017.

No sooner had the omnipresent Russian battlecruiser Pyotr Velikiy and destroyer Vice-Admiral Kulakov finished their mission in Syria than they were scheduled to sail to the Baltic Sea. But what really deserves attention is that they take along the nuclear ballistic missile submarine Dmitriy Donskoy.

It seems to me that the sub is chosen to perform as a leading actor in the play staged by the Kremlin. But wouldn’t it be challenging for the organizer to find enough room on stage for such an actor?

Measuring 574-foot in length, Dmitriy Donskoy is the world’s largest nuclear ballistic missile submarine. And one of the most feared, too. The massive sub is big enough to hold a crew of more than 160. She has six torpedo tubes and is able to carry an arsenal of 200 weapons on board including 20 nuclear missiles.

I guess, this time Dmitriy Donskoy is set to serve as a reminder to the Baltic region about Russia’s nuclear prowess.
Well, mate, I guess this time everything is less complicated than you think. You’re talking about “Russia showing its muscles again”, but I’m sure the country is actually showing its flag. And it’s natural to do so when you’re celebrating your Navy Day!

The fact that “the feared massive sub” is heading toward the Baltic, doesn’t mean any military campaign there. The Northern Fleet sends its warships, including Dmitriy Donskoy, to support the Baltic Fleet to make the parade more spectacular.

What exactly OKR Lider will produce remains to be seen. Speculation now ranges from a nuclear battlecruiser to a medium destroyer with a gas-turbine plant. I think 11356s and 22350s are the future of the Russian Navy, with an up-sized 22350M that might fill in the destroyer role.
I cannot wait tell GPV 2018-2025 is unveiled to the public. The Russian Navy wants to build a nuclear destroyer and 22350M. It makes since the Lider is supposed to operate navalized S-500. We don't know if the 22350M can deploy S-500 in decent numbers? Russia will be building 12+ nuclear civilian vessels in coming next two decades. The 11356 and 22350 are good ships, but they are limited platforms. The Type 26s, 24 strike vls load should be standard for a modern highend frigate. (8 LAM, 8ASuW, and 8 ASROC type weapons)

Planned Nuclear vessels
LK-60Ya (currently Building)
Lider Class icebreakers LK-110Ya
Floating Nuclear Powers Stations
Replacements for current nuclear icebreaker fleet (expect for 50 Let Pobedy)

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I cannot wait tell GPV 2018-2025 is unveiled to the public. The Russian Navy wants to build a nuclear destroyer and 22350M. It makes since the Lider is supposed to operate navalized S-500. We don't know if the 22350M can deploy S-500 in decent numbers?
I don't think the 22350M will carry anything AA-wise other then the Poliment-Redut combo and CIWS possibly of the Patsyr variety.

Russia will be building 12+ nuclear civilian vessels in coming next two decades. The 11356 and 22350 are good ships, but they are limited platforms. The Type 26s, 24 strike vls load should be standard for a modern highend frigate. (8 LAM, 8ASuW, and 8 ASROC type weapons)
The 22350M will likely carry a somewhat larger combat load. So it might be exactly what you're talking about. That having been said, the vessel has yet to be built. Right now the 22350s look like they're picking up speed. 4 of them will give a much needed boost to the northern fleet. A battle group consisting of an 1155 destroyer, 22350 frigate, and a nuke sub, with support vessels, would be more impressive then most VMF deployments, and relatively available too.

Planned Nuclear vessels
LK-60Ya (currently Building)
Lider Class icebreakers LK-110Ya
Floating Nuclear Powers Stations
Replacements for current nuclear icebreaker fleet (expect for 50 Let Pobedy)
Floating nuke plants are really ships, though. There are two series of the new icebreakers planned, namely 3 of the smaller and 3 of the larger nukes, with the Lider class icebreakers under some serious question, and the LK-60Ya are getting delayed. And they are the replacement for the current fleet.

Floating nuke plants are really ships, though. There are two series of the new icebreakers planned, namely 3 of the smaller and 3 of the larger nukes, with the Lider class icebreakers under some serious question, and the LK-60Ya are getting delayed. And they are the replacement for the current fleet.
The Floating nuclear power station is a non-self propelled vessel. It's not surpising the Lider class icebreakers will be delayed. The LK-60ya is delayed because of Ukrainian sourced equipment (thats Russian Governement line). In the winter months the LK-60ya main job will be breaking ice for middle sized LNG carriers from Sabetta, Russia. The LK-110ya are for opening Northern Sea Route to large container and tanker ships. The LK-60ya can replace two classes of icebreakers, but only 3 are currently planned.The North Sea is Either, additional LK-60ya will be built to replace current operational nuke icebreakers or a cheaper and smaller class is going to be built. I doubt Russia nuclear icebreaker fleet is stay its current size with increased use of Northern Sea Route.

https://www.newsdeeply.com/arctic/c...l-eye-on-russias-northern-sea-route-ambitions

This is a very good article. The Chinese have backed Northeast Passage "Ice Silk Road" But the Northern Sea Route could be a money pit for Russia.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Floating nuclear power station is a non-self propelled vessel. It's not surpising the Lider class icebreakers will be delayed. The LK-60ya is delayed because of Ukrainian sourced equipment (thats Russian Governement line). In the winter months the LK-60ya main job will be breaking ice for middle sized LNG carriers from Sabetta, Russia. The LK-110ya are for opening Northern Sea Route to large container and tanker ships. The LK-60ya can replace two classes of icebreakers, but only 3 are currently planned.The North Sea is Either, additional LK-60ya will be built to replace current operational nuke icebreakers or a cheaper and smaller class is going to be built. I doubt Russia nuclear icebreaker fleet is stay its current size with increased use of Northern Sea Route.

https://www.newsdeeply.com/arctic/c...l-eye-on-russias-northern-sea-route-ambitions

This is a very good article. The Chinese have backed Northeast Passage "Ice Silk Road" But the Northern Sea Route could be a money pit for Russia.
Given the budgetary constraints, I doubt we will see that much of an expansion. That having been said, it will probably depend on how the Russian economy does in the next 5 years. Also It's very possible that the LK-110ya get cut, and instead we see a bigger series of the LK-60ya.

Given the budgetary constraints, I doubt we will see that much of an expansion. That having been said, it will probably depend on how the Russian economy does in the next 5 years. Also It's very possible that the LK-110ya get cut, and instead we see a bigger series of the LK-60ya.
Russia has much less public debt than Western economies, and the Saudis cannot afford to play with energy markets anymore. China, India, and the rest Asia energy needs will be increasing in the future. The Russian budget deficit is not huge. It's impossible for LK-60ya to do LK-110ya job, so they will not be cut. Large tankers and container ships need, a nuclear icebreaker with a similar beam, cutting a path for them through Artic ice. If the Russian intend for Northern East Route, to become a major trade route, they will probably need a much larger number of LK110ya than currently planned.