Russian Navy Discussions and Updates

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Новый боевой корабль будет компромиссом между БДК и вертолетоносцем

Baltic and Admiralty have good records in producing reasonably on time ships for the Russian Navy. There could be designs for lhd among other large combatants. Russia is upgrading most of the equipment of all of it's service branches. Russia has one of the largest defence weapons procurement budgets in the world, and strategic weapons are being favored at this time.
Russian shipbuilding is in poor shape though. Typically they can produce, once they get going, but every new project takes a long time to get started, partially due to design issues that have to be worked out, partially due to difficulties working out supply chains with sub-contractors. Once a project enters production, it is vastly easier to keep it going. Look at how long it took to get the 20380 corvettes going. And now they can be put out at a decent pace, at separate yards even. Look at the 11356 vs the 22350 frigates. True the former is a simpler design, but not that simpler. An LHD is a vastly more complex ship then a corvette. If they begin construction next year, when will the first ship enter service? 2025 would be an optimistic timeframe. 2030 a more realistic one. Meanwhile they can get a number of 11711s up and running long before then, and supplement the larger ships for many years to come.

KiwiRob

Новый боевой корабль будет компромиссом между БДК и вертолетоносцем

Baltic and Admiralty have good records in producing reasonably on time ships for the Russian Navy. There could be designs for lhd among other large combatants. Russia is upgrading most of the equipment of all of it's service branches. Russia has one of the largest defence weapons procurement budgets in the world, and strategic weapons are being favored at this time.
Baltic are you kidding, they haven't built a vessel for the Russian navy for a very long time, they have no navy orders at the moment, when most other Russian yards do. Admiralty are building conventional submarines not surface warships, although they do have 2 x 23550 artic patrol vessels under construction. Severnaya, Yantar and Amur are the main builders of major surface combatants for the Russian navy, smaller missile, patrol and other non combatants are built in yards all over Russia, the most productive being Almaz, Vympel, Zelenodolsk, Pella and ZNT. For some daft reason reason (political??) they are also loading Zaliv in Crimea with orders, 2 x 21131 tankers, 5 x 19910 hydrographic boats, 2 x 22160 patrol boats and 2 x 15310 cable layers.

Severnaya could built lhds after it's upgrades over the next few years. Yantar yard max ship capacity is 14,000 tons. (to small for Mistral sized lhd). I don't know Amur's max ship capacity. Again, Baltic built half of the second Russian Mistral, so they have experience building lhds.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Severnaya could built lhds after it's upgrades over the next few years. Yantar yard max ship capacity is 14,000 tons. (to small for Mistral sized lhd). I don't know Amur's max ship capacity. Again, Baltic built half of the second Russian Mistral, so they have experience building lhds.
Your own link talked about a displacement of 8000 tonns... but again, you're missing the point. They all could build it, the same way that Sevmash could refit the Gorshkov aircraft-carrying cruiser into the Vikramaditya aircraft carrier. The price tag and timeframes are the issues.

The 8,000 ship most likely will be a San Giorgio class type ships. They would be good ships for reenforcing the places mention in the article. Civil transports have been doing most sealift work in Syria, so big amphs is not needed for spaces relatively close to Russia.

Sandhi Yudha

Until the Russian shipyards have developed a large LPD/LHD, the Russian Navy could order LPDs from loyal costumers of Russian defence products. For example, Russia could order a small number of Makassar Class LPDs under a barter trade with Indonesia for additional Su-35s....

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Until the Russian shipyards have developed a large LPD/LHD, the Russian Navy could order LPDs from loyal costumers of Russian defence products. For example, Russia could order a small number of Makassar Class LPDs under a barter trade with Indonesia for additional Su-35s....
I imagine the sheer embarrassment would prevent it. Though it's not a bad idea in essence.

Годовой отчет Северной верфи за 2017 год

Most of amph fleet will last on until 2030. Russian shipbuilders are going be making ship much more sopshicated than amph in the future; the current gov has spent much money shipyard modernization to let Indonesia build Russian naval vessels. The Star shipyard modernization will be completed in 2000, four years ahead of schedule.

The Russian navy's most pressing need is modern middle to long range aaw vessels.

KiwiRob

Годовой отчет Северной верфи за 2017 год

Most of amph fleet will last on until 2030. Russian shipbuilders are going be making ship much more sopshicated than amph in the future; the current gov has spent much money shipyard modernization to let Indonesia build Russian naval vessels. The Star shipyard modernization will be completed in 2000, four years ahead of schedule.

The Russian navy's most pressing need is modern middle to long range aaw vessels.
I’ve been to at least half the shipyards in Russia with the exception of Pella I wouldn’t consider any of them to be modern shipbuilding facilities.

The one I would like to visit is Zvezda but they are a commercial yard who aren’t building naval vessels. They have had a lot of help from the Koreans and Damen to set up a modern shipbuilding facility. It’s the only yard in Russia with a Goliath crane.

KiwiRob

New state-of-the-art shipbuilding facility laid down at Severnaya Verf in Saint-Petersburg (photo)

Severnaya Verf had plans of installing a Goliath crane. Zvezda is upgrades 2 Oscar class subs, so are not just a commerical shipyard. Zvezda will have two Goliath cranes. Repair yards are building ships for Russian navy.
They have installed 3 Goliath cranes, one 1000 ton and two 320 ton cranes. Apart from playing around with two old subs the yard has been set up to build commercial vessels, mainly tankers, the big problem they will have is buying propulsion plants for them, the yard is sanctioned, and Russia doesn’t build prime movers for large vessels.

One of the big problems facing Russian
Shipbuilding is USC ownership, it needs to be broken up, it’s also under heavy sanction, USC owned yards can’t buy a lot of equipment which isn’t made in Russia. Yards not owned by USC don’t have this problem.

Zezvda will add another 1000+ crane and a drydock. Todsay, this shipyard is only candidate to build a aircraft carrier. The Oscars are old, but they will give the Russians a massive just in firepower and other upgraded Soviet era vessels.

Western sanctions haven't crippled the Russian economy along with the help of low oil and natural gas prices. Russia had positive growth the last five years combined. The are hurting USC they will sell foreign assets. China supplied the cranes. China will be bigger factor in USC survival. The U.S. massive sanctions on China will not happen because they will cost the U. S. to much money.

Last edited:

KiwiRob

China builds engines under license from MAN and Wartsila they don’t build there own, and where did I say sanctions were hurting Russia as a whole, what they are hurting is the shipbuilding industry, an industry which I’ve been working in Russia for 11 years. With Russia it’s always talk and very little action, like moving the yards out St Petersburg to Kotlin Island, it’s been talked about for years, the land where Admirality and Baltisky are located on is far more valuable than the shipyards on them.

I don’t believe Russia will ever build another aircraft carrier.

China builds engines under license from MAN and Wartsila they don’t build there own, and where did I say sanctions were hurting Russia as a whole, what they are hurting is the shipbuilding industry, an industry which I’ve been working in Russia for 11 years. With Russia it’s always talk and very little action, like moving the yards out St Petersburg to Kotlin Island, it’s been talked about for years, the land where Admirality and Baltisky are located on is far more valuable than the shipyards on them.

I don’t believe Russia will ever build another aircraft carrier.
You have point about the engines. I'm guessing USC has backup solution. The Admiralty move was part of Mistral deal with France. The most powerful block in Russia is military, and they will get their carriers.

Sandhi Yudha

I
Probably don't need to, if Russia really wants an aircraft carrier, get China to build one and do a barter deal with jets or other stuff China wants.
I think it will be better if Russia orders aircraft carriers from India, as their most loyal costumer. Also a more reliable one, those Chinese have the habit to reverse engineer and copy everything...

Portofranko

Zezvda should will win the Leader contract. It has the new modern shipyard which will build Leader faster and cheaper than Baltic. Sechin is very close friend to Putin. He is a ( new oligarch ) people like him, the heads of Rostec, and Gazprom can do whatever because they are very close Putin. Sechin had non kremlin loyalist billionaire arrested a few weeks ago. This could be good for Russian Navy. Baltic could then build Lider class destroyers. Severnaya Verf is constructing to many different designs.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve been to at least half the shipyards in Russia with the exception of Pella I wouldn’t consider any of them to be modern shipbuilding facilities.
One of my biggest problems with the USC is that it creates a powerful barrier to entry. If it weren't for them, Pella could probably buy one of the larger yards, that's in worse shape, and make something of it. As is, they're building a new yard from scratch in the Far East.