Russian Air Force News & Discussion

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The word "new" here means "not very old".

I suspect these "new" Su-24M are either coming out of storage, or will come out of Baltimore, West MD, as the first Su-34 sq will be formed.

Either way the BSF AVMF is in shambles. This is a much needed addition. It's not the pilot issue that I would worry about, its the slow pace of Su-34 production.

Haavarla

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Obviously the latest Fencer is the Napo upgrade Su-24M2, which in any case is allready handed over the Voronezh i think.

NAPO got Su-34 to focus on from now on, but they have to do better than four Su-34 units per year..

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are the Su-24M2 at Voronezh? I thought they were at East MD.

Also iirc they put out 6 this year with planned production increases between 9-12 airframes next year. Also they only have a contract for 32 aircraft. Beyond that nothing is certain at this point.

Haavarla

Su-24M2 are probably stationed on both bases.
Anyway, i think we have seen the last upgrade done on the Fencers by now.
As the Su-34 prod is building momentum, and i think NAPO will get further order from Russia MoD in the next two years.
Anything else is riddicules, since RuAF maintains a large fleet of old Su-24M which will have to be replaced some day.
No logic in capping the Su-34 production at 32 units.

On the same note, It would be interesting to see the operation cost on both the Su-24M and Su-34.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I recall that 2 squadrons were at East MD. I thought that's all the upgraded Fencers there were. I wasn't aware NAPO had another upgrade contract...

In terms of capping production, I agree it would not be a good thing, but it may be a necessary thing, if tomorrow (or next year) the Russian economy tanks, and the budget simply can't afford new Su-34s. It certainly wasn't a good thing to cap Tu-160 production in the early 90s, as it forced many older Tu-95s to remain in service, and limited the size of the Long Range Aviation bomber fleet. But it wasn't exactly avoidable.

Haavarla

You are right, Voronezh have Su-24M.
No i do not think there are more than two squads of upgraded M2's.
But i'm not sure on the exact numbers here..
Was it total 24?

Haavarla

Any news on the AL-31FM2 engines?

This is from Apr 28, 2010
"He also says that in order to minimize technical risks, Salut is already testing the element of the future engine during modernization of the Al-31F series powerplants.

The first stage of this modernization, the AL-31FM1 with a new compressor, was shown at the Engines 2010 exhibition here this month. This engine has a thrust of 27,000 lb., interval between overhauls of 1,000 hr. and service life of 2,000 hr., compared to 25,000 lb. thrust, 500 hr. between overhauls and 1,500 hr. of service life for the serial AL-31F. According to Eliseev, the AL-31FM1 already powers modernized Su-27SM Russian air force fighters. He adds that it has also been approved for installation on Su-34 bombers.

A further development, the AL-31FM2, is being bench-tested, according to the Salut CEO. This engine has a new combustor chamber and turbine and reached 29,200 lb. thrust. “If we receive funding, we are ready to start serial trials of this engine in the next year,” says Eliseev.

Also on display at the exhibition was a new KND-924-3 low-pressure compressor that, together with a new six-stage high-pressure compressor, will be used for the AL-31FM3 modification. This version is expected to have a thrust of about 30,000 lb. Eliseev stresses that all the modifications retain the size of the serial Al-31F and can be installed in versions of the Su-27 in service.

The cooperation between Salut and UEC is underpinned by the anticipated merger between the two manufacturers. Eliseev was appointed deputy head of the corporation two weeks ago. According to UEC executives, the merger with Salut will start after the latter completes its consolidation with Omsk Baranov Production Co."

Rivals Join For Next Stage Of PAK FA Engine | AVIATION WEEK

Scorpion82

Those thrust figures doesn't add up. 25000 lb = 11363 kg, 27000 lb = 12272 kg, 29200 lb = 13272 kg. The stock AL-31F is already rated at 12500 kg (27500 lb) and the AL-31F-M1 is reportedly rated at 13500 kg (29700 lb). Are they talking about installed thrust?

Haavarla

Those thrust figures doesn't add up. 25000 lb = 11363 kg, 27000 lb = 12272 kg, 29200 lb = 13272 kg. The stock AL-31F is already rated at 12500 kg (27500 lb) and the AL-31F-M1 is reportedly rated at 13500 kg (29700 lb). Are they talking about installed thrust?
Yes perhaps installed thrust.
If Sukhoi has long term prospect for further Flanker export, then MMBPP Salut should by all means be given the need funding for the AL-31FM2 engine testing into production.
14.200kgf of thrust should be a given on the next MKI upgrade proposal, aka golden MKI.

Haavarla

A Sukhoi vid of the second Pak-Fa first flight. 03.03.11

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUZwLLA2cbM&fmt=18"]YouTube - Second PAK FA Prototype Flies[/nomedia]

Shouldn't it be hauled to Zhukovsky by now?

Haavarla

Looks like the newly build Su-27SM3 will be stationed at air base in Krymsk.
Which is about 640 km NW from Tiblisi.

"The composition of the same air base in Krymsk in February 2011 received the first four fighters of the new building of the Su-27SM3 taken the Air Force in December (hull numbers from "51 red" to "54 red"). Earlier, the Russian Air Force modernized in the years 2003-2009 55 of their combatant Su-27 variant of the Su-27SM. In contrast to those of the Su-27SM, Su-27SM3 new aircraft are a new building (constructed on the basis of backlog of Su-27SK, previously destined for delivery as assembly kits in China). On-board equipment of the Su-27SM3 undergone regular upgrades, and these aircraft are capable of using the new missiles RVV-SD air-to-air medium-range, and also have a "glass cockpit". It is expected that the remaining eight Su-27SM3 contract in 2009 will be manufactured in 2011 and also received a Krimsk."

ÂÂÑ Ðîññèè ïîëó÷àþò ïîïîëíåíèå - Íà÷àëîñü äàâíî îáåùàííîå ïåðåâîîðóæåíèå àâèàöèè

Haavarla

Google is my friend.:)

I just came accross a very nice read up about the ongoing re-structur of the RuAF.
This is from Millerovo air field(2 Sq Mig-29, mod 9-13)) which now is part of 6972nd air base.
Krymsk airfield(Su-27SM/SM3) is also part of 6972nd airbase.

Many of the Mig-29 have been transfered from four different airbases..
Atleast now we know there are four active Sq of Mig-29 in the VVS, if we count the Mig-29SMT..
Also now we know more about how VVS does DACT training excercises like BFM etc..
Well you can read for your self.

19.GvIAP

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Makes sense. The Backfires AShM mission is supposed to be universalized. I.e. they plan on using the Tu-22M3s as cruise missile platforms on air and sea.

Haavarla

The Tu-22M3 would make up for lots of other Naval assets missing in the Russian Navy, that much is clear.

But how many Backfire will be operational in the next decade?
Is there some upgrade deal on the horison?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is an upgrade planned, the Tu-22M5 upgrade. New targetting systems for the Tu-22M series was tested iirc last year.