Russian Air Force News & Discussion

Haavarla

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here is some official news on the Striker assets and airbases structure in RuAF.

Журнал Взлёт : В Липецк прибыли четыре новых Су-34

As stated by September 1, 2010 during a trip to Voronezh, Russian Air Force Commander Col. Gen. Alexander Zelin, the new aircraft entered service in Voronezh Air Base (airfield, "Baltimore"), currently operating the front-line bombers of the previous generation Su-24M. As part of the reorganization of the Air Force, resulting in reduction of regiments on the ground "Shatalov" and "Buturlinovka in Smolensk and Voronezh region, Voronezh will form one of the nation's largest air bases, armed with which, in addition to the Su-34 and Su-24M, will be reconnaissance planes of the Su-24MR and MiG-25RB, and Su-25 - only about a hundred aircraft.

Relocation of four new Su-34 from the Lipetsk, in Voronezh is scheduled for 2011, when the run out repair work on the airfield and will be signed by an act of the State joint tests of the Su-34.

Full cycle of the State joint tests of the Su-34 in glycerol in Akhtubinsk scheduled for completion in early 2011 - there were just a few flights, after which performance and execution of necessary documents the first four Su-34 is expected to put into service the first drill Air Force Base. In the future rate of annual issue of the Su-34 in Novosibirsk will be increased: at last year's show in Farnborough, head of the company "Sukhoi" Mikhail Pogosyan said that eventually it will increase to 12-20 aircraft per year.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like Baltimore will be the central airbase for strike and recon birds for all of West MD.

Haavarla

How far inside Russia is Baltimore located?
Ok, just checked my Google Earth, looks like its covering the whole Caucasus region and beyond too if one think about the mission Range on the Su-24M2 and Su-34.

Its about 1180,00km distant from Voronezh Airbase to say T'bilisi inside Georgia.
Could be done with some aerial tankers at least.

Haavarla

Right.
Is there anything news on the RuAF Tanker shortage status?
Given the Situation, one would think MoD or RuAF have a procurment program in store..:confused:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nope. As is ~20 tankers in service no replacement or new buys in sight.

Now, granted, the Il-78 is based on the Il-76. And with the take-off of the Il-476 program, nothing really stops them from ordering some tankers. But that's years away. The first Il-476 deliveries start in 2012, and no tanker variant is in sight.

dragonfire

Hi Feanor, has the Mig-35 received any orders from the Russian Air Forces. Is it an aircraft being considered for induction in large numbers.

Thanks in advance
DF

Haavarla

Nope. As is ~20 tankers in service no replacement or new buys in sight.

Now, granted, the Il-78 is based on the Il-76. And with the take-off of the Il-476 program, nothing really stops them from ordering some tankers. But that's years away. The first Il-476 deliveries start in 2012, and no tanker variant is in sight.

How old is those 20 tankers in service.
Perhaps they are slated for some upgrade, like new engines and cockpit upgrade?

Edit:
Looks like the Su-35 '902' has gotten rid of some of the antennas.
This is something new, prior to earlier photos..

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showpost.php?p=1709066&postcount=86

Wonder if this is some RCS reduction at work?
Can't wait to see the first serie prod Su-35S.

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
How old is those 20 tankers in service.
Perhaps they are slated for some upgrade, like new engines and cockpit upgrade?
I'm not sure, but they are of Soviet vintage. Modernization is possible, in fact likely, but new purchases are a ways away.

Hi Feanor, has the Mig-35 received any orders from the Russian Air Forces. Is it an aircraft being considered for induction in large numbers.

Thanks in advance
DF
No publicly stated orders, but it's more then likely. Especially given the MiG-29K production run for the AVMF.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
As an example, 412th AirBase, East MD has 6 squadrons. 1-2nd fly Su-25 3-4th MiG-29 9-12 and 9-13 series, 5th Mi-24 6th Mi-8.

The Su-25s are occasionally used as aggressors for the MiG-29. I'm not sure what the practice is more broadly, but I'll see if I can find out more on other airbases. I strongly suspect that it's on an ad hoc basis using whatever happens to be available.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Apart from lessons about how to protect friendly forces from enemy CAS/interdiction isn't a Su-25 a rather bad agressor plane?

I would have thought that MiG-29s, MiG-31s and Su-27s form the bulk of the ad-hoc agressor forces with Su-24s, Su-25s and Tu-22Ms being only used for special training sessions.

Haavarla

That is my thought too, i'm not that sure RuAF has the same aggressor structure within their airforce like we see in the USAF.

RuAF got their Lipetsk training center for training tactics and and forming new aircraft into their service.
But as far as a static aggressor unit, i not familiar with such approach..:confused:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apart from lessons about how to protect friendly forces from enemy CAS/interdiction isn't a Su-25 a rather bad agressor plane?

I would have thought that MiG-29s, MiG-31s and Su-27s form the bulk of the ad-hoc agressor forces with Su-24s, Su-25s and Tu-22Ms being only used for special training sessions.
When I mean ad-hoc I literally mean they train against whatever aircraft they happen to have available. I'm sure the MiG-29s train against each other. I don't know of any dedicated aggressor units.

Mindstorm

Banned Member
Something i always wondering about..
How is the RuAF aggressor units and airbase structured today?

Here is some info on Soviet Aggressor units back in the days:
Sadly in Russian, i will not use any google translate, cause it sucks..

Haavarla on its " Mikoyan Mig -29 " (pag 230 -233) Yefim Gordon provide a good account of the Russian "Aggressors" and theirs typical modus operandi .

In 1989 the two squadrons of Aggressors was formed by 24 MIG-29C all piloted by 1th class and "sniper" pilots ,part of 1521st at Maryy-1 AB .
The aircraft commited to those squadrons had not only a typical red tactical code number and some modification to camouflage useful at render them more similar to USAF F-15C but also some characteristic special marching and nose arts (allowed just for the mimicry of NATO aircrfat ) like the famous sharkmouth and the "brandy stripe" (kon'yachnaya polosa).

E. Gordon apparently mention that after end of '90 years their role was taked by some specialized squadron of Su-27s ....Tomorrow ,after work , i will search something on that on its book on Su-27 Flanker (i have readed it several years ago and not remember if that info on an aggressor unit was present).

Best regards

Haavarla

Haavarla on its " Mikoyan Mig -29 " (pag 230 -233) Yefim Gordon provide a good account of the Russian "Aggressors" and theirs typical modus operandi .

In 1989 the two squadrons of Aggressors was formed by 24 MIG-29C all piloted by 1th class and "sniper" pilots ,part of 1521st at Maryy-1 AB .
The aircraft commited to those squadrons had not only a typical red tactical code number and some modification to camouflage useful at render them more similar to USAF F-15C but also some characteristic special marching and nose arts (allowed just for the mimicry of NATO aircrfat ) like the famous sharkmouth and the "brandy stripe" (kon'yachnaya polosa).

E. Gordon apparently mention that after end of '90 years their role was taked by some specialized squadron of Su-27s ....Tomorrow ,after work , i will search something on that on its book on Su-27 Flanker (i have readed it several years ago and not remember if that info on an aggressor unit was present).

Best regards
Thx a lot Mindstorm.

I have a few Yefim Gordon Aviation books.
But I'm more interesting to learn about the current and future planned RuAF structure and how RuAF go about training their units.
I think they make training sessions more on the run from different airbases, than designated aggressor squadrons.. but i could be wrong.
Very hard to come by anything info in RuAF.. still we find out more now than earlier days:)

Haavarla

Second T-50 made first flight.
10:47 local time. Not sure if this was yesterday or to day, time zone..?

Второй образец иÑÑ‚Ñ€ÐµÐ±Ð¸Ñ‚ÐµÐ»Ñ 5 Ð¿Ð¾ÐºÐ¾Ð»ÐµÐ½Ð¸Ñ ÑƒÑпешно Ñовершил первый полет | Оборона и безопаÑноÑÑ‚ÑŒ | Лента новоÑтей "Ð*ИРÐовоÑти"

Èñòðåáèòåëü Ò-50 âíîâü ïîäíÿëñÿ â*íåáî âèäåî — Íîâîñòè@Mail.ru

Sukhoi into a program of flight tests of the second PAK FA

Moscow, March 3. Today in Komsomolsk - on - Amur hosted the first flight of second prototype of the fifth generation aviation complex. The plane was piloted by distinguished test pilot of the Russian Federation Sergey Bogdan. The aircraft spent in the air 44 minutes and landed on the runway factory airfield. The flight was successful, in full accordance with the flight plan. The mission was carried out evaluation of aircraft systems, the stability of the power plant. The aircraft proved itself well in all phases of the planned flight program.

"Tests on the PAK FA program is in accordance with the approved program. Currently, completed a set of preliminary ground and flight operations that were involved in all three prototypes, which were bench strength tests, ground tests of fuel systems and other work. The first flight took place on the PAK FA January 29, 2010 in Komsomolsk-on-Amur. Acceptance test flight model have been completed at the end of March. April 8 fighter first flight model and comprehensive ground stand on which is carried out working out the equipment and systems to provide flight test program, were brought into the territory of the flight test base Sukhoi Design Bureau in Zhukovsky near Moscow. After completion of the required volume of preliminary tests on the stands of systems and components, including static strength tests of the sample, ground tests aircraft stand and flight model, April 29, began flying the aircraft on the program of preliminary tests. In support of flight test program on the first flight model 36 sorties.

Compared with previous generations of fighters, the PAK FA has several unique features, combining the functions of attack aircraft and fighter. Fifth-generation aircraft is equipped with a fundamentally new avionics, the integrating function of the e-pilot ", and promising radar with a phased array. This greatly reduces the load on the pilot and allows you to concentrate on the implementation of tactical tasks. On-board equipment of the new aircraft can exchange data in real time as a land management systems, and within the aviation group. The use of composite materials and innovative technology, aerodynamic design aircraft, measures to reduce the visibility of the engine provides unprecedented low level of radar, optical and infrared visibility. This allows us to significantly improve the combat effectiveness of the work, both by air and ground targets at any time of day, and adverse weather conditions."

http://sukhoi.org/news/company/?id=3939

No vids published yet, but should arrive shortly.