Russian Air Force News & Discussion

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had no idea the contract was already inked. They kept it on the down low. I personally expected to see deliveries in maybe 2013. Looks like RSK MiG is in better shape (production-wise) then we could expect, if they can simultaneously fullfill the Indian order for 45 aircraft and deliver to the VMF. By the way the numbers delivered total should be ~24 aircraft.

By the way this is the second serial Mi-28N crash. I have a photo of the first one, which happened due to pilot error.

EDIT: The first serial batch of Ka-52 has been delivered to Torzhok. 4 helos.

http://www.vz.ru/photoreport/467425/

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I doubt it. They will either end up at Lipetsk for a couple of years. Or maybe at some Northern Fleet training center. It will be a good 2-3 years before we have IOC of the first squadron on the Kuznetsov. Most likely they won't even see the Kuznetsov until 2017, if the plans to refit it 2012-2017 materialize.

Haavarla

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Agreed.
I guess RuNavy are to train new personel and pilots for the Mig-29K.
In the past they used a airbase for the Su-33 which i cant't remeber the name of right now, it was not Lipetsk.

Edit: Didn't the Indian Mig-29K pilots train in Russia for six month?
They mount up a skijump and wire/arrest landing etc.

Its possible that base exsist no more due to the RuAF cut down?
so it could very well end up at Lipetsk after all.

Last edited:

T.C.P

Hey since its almost confirmed that the Mig-35 is out of the race does that mean the Mig-35 will be cancelled or will Russia go for it?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agreed.
I guess RuNavy are to train new personel and pilots for the Mig-29K.
In the past they used a airbase for the Su-33 which i cant't remeber the name of right now, it was not Lipetsk.

Edit: Didn't the Indian Mig-29K pilots train in Russia for six month?
They mount up a skijump and wire/arrest landing etc.

Its possible that base exsist no more due to the RuAF cut down?
so it could very well end up at Lipetsk after all.
There is no land-based training center simulating a carrier deck. AVMF uses NITKA in Crimea. Now a facility of this sort is currently being constructed in Krasnodar. But I don't recall the completion date. It is possible that they will use the Kuznetsov up until 2012 to train the instructors and more experienced AVMF pilots to fly the MiG-29K, and then once they have squadron strength try to achieve FOC at NITKA, or possible the new facility at Krasnodar.

EDIT: To be more precise it's Krasnodarskiy kray, not Krasnodar itself.

Haavarla

Yes that is right, its located In Crimea.

Other news:
Two batch delivered to lipetsk. 4 Su-27SM and 4 Su-30M2 according to this Forum.
Comfirmed by a RuAF pilot.

Íîâûå Ñó-27ÑÌ

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes that is right, its located In Crimea.

Other news:
Two batch delivered to lipetsk. 4 Su-27SM and 4 Su-30M2 according to this Forum.
Comfirmed by a RuAF pilot.

Íîâûå Ñó-27ÑÌ
I wonder if the whole Su-27SM new build squadron has been delivered yet? Because as of right now the Su-35S is close to delivery.

Haavarla

My understanding is that all the Su-27SM, Su-30M2 and Su-35S production is running simultantiously, the Su-30M2 production is close to finnish if the deal was 5 units..

Other news:
three more Mig-31BM arrived from Sokol.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
No it's from KnAAPO! KnAAPO deveoped and manufactured the Su-30MKK and its further developed derivative the Su-30MK2 from which the Su-30M2 is derived.
Whoops. Yes my mistake.

In that case I'm not sure that the production is indeed simultaneous.

Haavarla

well the date seems to be right.
KnAAPO should not have any problem with doing all three SM's, M2 and Su-35S at the same time. They just needed some time to re-tool some of their prod-lines, which was done in 2009/2010 and They have a quite huge working staff too.

Журнал Взлёт : ВВС переданы первые новые Су-27СМ

VVS receives first new Su-27SM

In the middle of February the VVS (Russian air force) received the first four of twelve new single-seat multirole Su-27SM fighter aircraft ordered, the contract for which was signed between Sukhoi and the Ministry for Defence during the MAKS-2009 air show in August 2009. The aircraft completed the long-distance transfer flight from Komsomolsk-on-Amur to Krymsk airbase (Krasnodar Krai) to join the newly delivered Su-30M2 2-seat multirole fighters, which had arrived at the end of last year. Compared to the previous batch of VVS Su-27SM delivered in the 2003-2009 period and which are KnAAPO modernised versions of in-service Su-27 fighters – the latest machines are newly built.

These new Su-27SMs are, without doubt, produced from surplus Su-27SK airframes which were left over from the cancelled contract with the PRC. These new aircraft have been fitted with new AL-31F-M1 (AL-31F series 42) engines manufactured by MMPP Salyut, which have an increased thrust of 13,500 kgf (29,762 lb) and prolonged service life, along with new systems in equipment and armament, which are even more advanced than the systems fitted to previous Su-27SMs.

Wonder about this part though..?
Edit: And the Su-27SM3 part too?
Where did the Su-27SM2 go then:)?
Could be part of the last 12 SM's batch perhaps last delivered in 2009 me think..:confused:

Блог Pilot’а

Haavarla

Some Indo-Russia news for you.
A rather interesting upgrade, should be a nice bang for the bucks package here consider the cheap prize for the total procurment deal and upgrade.
Somehow i do not see this upgrade coming on any RuAF Mig-29's though..

MiG-29UPG is getting Thales Top Owl-F HMDS.
On February 4, 2011. on the airfield of the Flight- research institute im [M].[M]. Gromov in Moscow Zhukovskiy took place the first flight of the head modernized fighter VVS of India MiG-29UPG (identification number KBU3301). Flight continued approximately one hour and passed without the observations. Aircraft piloted the chief of flying service - senior test pilot OF [RSK] “MiG” Mikhail Belyayev. Work according to this program is accomplished by a Russian aircraft-construction corporation “MiG” within the framework the contract, concluded on March 7, 2008. and foreseeing the overall modernization of entire park of fighters MiG-29, that consist at present in the arsenal VVS of India.

62 aircraft on the whole will be subjected to modification, including several two-place combat training MiG-29[UB]. As a result of modernization they will obtain contemporary onboard equipment and extended nomenclature of armament.

Furthermore, because of the modifications of glider and power plant they will grow considerably service life and the period of service will be realized the transfer of aircraft into the operation due to the technical state. Fuel stock aboard will increase due to the application of an additional fuselage tank after the cockpit. Simultaneously aircraft [doosnashchaetsya] by the system of refueling in flight.

As a whole the concept of the modernization of Indian MiG-29 corresponds to that accepted for the fighters MiG-29[SMT], that are been located since 2009. in the arsenal VVS of Russia and already successfully mastered by Russian military pilots.

Simultaneously in composition onboard equipment and armament is ensured the high level of unification with the carrier-based fighters MiG-29[K]/[KUB], accepted for the armament the Navy of India on February 19, 2010. During the construction of the complex [BREO] of that modernized MiG-29UPG at will customer realizes the integration of the systems of the production of the different countries (the so-called “international board”). A similar experience was already obtained and recommended well itself with fulfilling of Russian- Indian contracts on the modernization of fighters MiG-21UPG Bison, development and building of fighters Su-30[MKI] and MiG-29[K]/[KUB].

The basis of control system of the armament of that modernized MiG-29UPG composes new [BRLS] “beetle -[M]2[E]” with the slot array of development and production of corporation “synchro-cyclotron -[NIIR]” and optico- locating station [OLS]-[UEM] with the laser, thermal-vision and television channels of the development by NII (Scientific Research Institute) of the semiconductor devices (analogous [BRLS] and [OLS] they are used on MiG-29[K]/[KUB]).

The information-control field of flight deck is built on the base of multifunctional colored liquid-crystal indicators. “International” segment [BREO] includes the helmet system of the aim designation of the French company of Thales, the inertial- satellite system of the navigation of French firm Sagem, and also the Indian station of electronic reconnaissance and Israeli jamming station (similar systems they adapt on MiG-29[K]/[KUB]).

Basic composition of the armament of that modernized MiG-29UPG - the same as on MiG-29[SMT] and MiG-29[K]/[KUB]: in contrast to the series MiG-29, it is supplemented with rockets “the air-to-air” of medium distance with the active radar homing heads of the type [RVV]-[AE], and also by the high-precision weapons of destruction of ground-based and waterborne targets - by rockets of the general purpose X -29[t] with the television self-homing head, the antiship missiles X -31[a] with active radar [GSN], antiradar missiles X -31[p] with passive [RGS], corrected bombs cables -500[Kr] with television homing and others Fighters MiG-29 are found in the arsenal VVS of India since 1987.

In all into this country in the period from the second-half of the 80th to the middle the 90's were set 80 such aircraft, into [t].[ch]. of approximately 70 one-place MiG-29 (version “B”) and ten two-place MiG-29[UB]. Deliveries to first party of 44 fighters began in 1987 ; the second party (26 machines) was set in 1989 ; the third (10 machines) - 1994- m. Fighters MiG-29 perform in three squadrons VVS of India: since December 1987. - in 28- y and 47- y, and since November 1989. - in 223- y. According to the data of the Indian Web site of warbirds.in, on extreme of 11 Indian MiG-29 (including one MiG-29[UB]) they were lost in the period from 1994 until 2008. in the flight accidents (known at least about four catastrophes and seven emergencies). According to the data of weekly “by Flight Of [interneshnl]”, at the beginning 2011 g. in the arsenal VVS of India were found 69 fighters of this type. In accordance with the contract, the first six Indian MiG-29 (four one-place and two “dual-control aircraft”) will undergo modification and tests in Russia, they arrived in our country from India in 2008. Remaining 56 aircraft will pass modernization directly in the territory of customer, at the production capacities of the 11th report base VVS of India, with the use of the complete sets supplied from Russia. As reported on February 9 at the airshow “aero- India 2011” in [Bangalore] Director-General - the design project leader OF [RSK] “MiG” Mikhail [Pogosyan], after the completion of tests in this year first modernized MiG-29UPG will be returned to customer.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The quote is:

«в конце сентября состоялся первый успешный пуск с поражением цели модернизированной ракетой с борта опытного самолета Су-27СМ3. Для применения этой ракеты на повышенных дальностях модернизированы антенна, передатчик и канал передачи данных радиокоррекции штатной РЛС самолета. Модернизированный Су-27СМ3 передан на государственные испытания»
In other words, the Su-27SM3 is currently undergoing testing. So we can consider the 12 new-builds to be Su-27SM2. Although even that I'm not so sure of. Maybe the SM2 is going to be the next batch of serial Flanker upgrades, and the
SM3 is currently undergoing testing.

Haavarla

Eighter way Feanor, whats more interesting to see is what kind of upgrade the SM2 and/or SM3 consist of..
The general opinion around various Aviation forums is that the new build SM's is still featuring the N-001V Radar series.. perhaps with some minor upgrade on both hardware and software .
I find it unlikely, but one can always speculate if it is something of a new radar..
Also what other new stuff might one expect to see?

Last edited:

Scorpion82

It has been suggested that the Su-27SM2 is an upgrade including technologies from the Su-35S, other sources even indicated that Su-27SM2 is just another designation for the new Su-35. It's difficult to say right now. But the fact that there appears to be something like a Su-27SM3 is interesting or is it just a typo and should instead mean SM2?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
It has been suggested that the Su-27SM2 is an upgrade including technologies from the Su-35S, other sources even indicated that Su-27SM2 is just another designation for the new Su-35. It's difficult to say right now. But the fact that there appears to be something like a Su-27SM3 is interesting or is it just a typo and should instead mean SM2?
I don't think it's a typo. I've ran across it being mentioned in other places.

The new Su-35 VVS designation should be Su-35S.