Russian Air Force News & Discussion

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
For airplanes there are several different number systems. All are either 2 or 3 digit, with different colors representing a different number. Bort 01 red and bort 01 blue, for example, are two different aircraft.

Seraph

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
For airplanes there are several different number systems. All are either 2 or 3 digit, with different colors representing a different number. Bort 01 red and bort 01 blue, for example, are two different aircraft.
Ah. So the color has no specific meaning? from various images i've looked at, it seemed that yellow, for example, features almost exclusively on planes and helos that could be broadly classified as "ground-attack". Is there any such connection?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll be honest I'm not sure. MiG-31's are often blue, the new Su-35S are gray, the SMT fleet is red. All three are fighters, Su-35S and SMT are multi-role fighters. Morever the Su-34 strike fighter is red. There are also two and three digit number systems.

Haavarla

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
How effective is this EW suite?
Quite clever design, its not reducing any hardpoints, as the missile can be mounted under the jammer.

I think its a Kazakhstan's upgraded Su-27UBM2.

Haavarla

The AL-31FM2 Engine developed and produced By SALUT is 'ready'.
I'm not sure what 'ready' exactly means.. could be ready for test flight or its ready for deliveries.
SALUT need is a jucy deal from Russian MoD to supply the VVS.

The first units to install these new FM2 engines should be the long contracted Su-34 production.

The AL-31FM2 is rated 14.500kgf at AB, same as the 117S engine by SATURN.

ÐовоÑти Aviation EXplorer: ÐПЦ "Салют" предÑтавил новые двигатели Ð´Ð»Ñ Ð¸Ñтребителей Су-27

Last edited:

Comrade69

Banned Member
Is this the final nail in the coffin for the Mig-35?
I honestly want to know whats going to Happen to this plane.

I would love to see it in action and at least 50 models built but all I heard about it is how India didn't want it and thats it.

Haavarla

Or that the Pak-Fa possible faces delay, and VVS needs adittional new fighter now.

T.C.P

Without any firm international orders, the unit price of the Mig-35 will be pretty high, this could be one reason why Russia might go for the Su-30s.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
In Russian it is Voenno Vozdushnie Sili, which translates roughly into Military-Air Forces.

Haavarla

As requested.
VVS
Voyenno-vozdushnye sily Rossii, is the air force of Russian Military.

Edit:
Dooogh, Feanor beat me to it:)

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's not the Su-30MK2 that they're buying, it's a new variant based on the Su-30MKI. It will be called the Su-30SM, apparently 12 of them will replace the Su-24M currently with the BSF. I'm guessing they will just replace all the imported gear on it with domestic analogues. This makes a lot more sense then Su-30MK2s, which is what I though they were going to get originally. They will probably fill the strike fighter niche, given the problems with Su-34 production.

Lenta.ru: Îðóæèå: ×åðíîìîðñêèé ôëîò ïîëó÷èò 12 èñòðåáèòåëåé Ñó-30ÑÌ