Royal Norwegian Navy (RNoN) News and Discussion

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
I don’t understand why the AIS was turned off while approaching a port in home waters in the dark with commercial traffic around. Probably some changes for the Norwegian vessel traffic management team are in order as well.

High operation tempo, training, and crew experience, all important considerations for the RAN and RCN with all the new vessels planned for the 2030s. The RAN also has the huge huge crewing challenge for the SSN fleet.

Redlands18

Norway Seeks International Partners for Future Frigate - Naval News
Norway has announced it is in the very early stages of looking for International partners for acquiring 6 new Frigates to replace the 4 remaining Fridtjof Nansen class. Though AAW and ASuW will be important, ASW will be the primary role. They are looking at possibly joining an existent production line with limited changes. The RNoN has only just over 4000 personnel so I would expect lean crewing to be a major factor. This could be a fiercely fought competition with a number of contenders with hot production lines of vessels that fit the bill.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Norway Seeks International Partners for Future Frigate - Naval News
Norway has announced it is in the very early stages of looking for International partners for acquiring 6 new Frigates to replace the 4 remaining Fridtjof Nansen class. Though AAW and ASuW will be important, ASW will be the primary role. They are looking at possibly joining an existent production line with limited changes. The RNoN has only just over 4000 personnel so I would expect lean crewing to be a major factor. This could be a fiercely fought competition with a number of contenders with hot production lines of vessels that fit the bill.
They should consider partnering with Poland on their AH140 program.

swerve

Super Moderator
Timing? When does NZ want its ANZAC replacement to enter service? The Dutch/Belgian frigates are expected to commission after 2030, I think.

Redlands18

Timing? When does NZ want its ANZAC replacement to enter service? The Dutch/Belgian frigates are expected to commission after 2030, I think.
Dutch Navy's ASW Frigates to enter service in 2029 - Naval News
Netherlands 2029, Belgium 1 year later and the other 2 after that. Certainly looks on paper to suit both Norway and NZ, timing wise, Norway is replacing the current fleet of 4 (but current requirement is for 5 vessels) with 6 new ships, so lead ship will probably be a replacement for the Helge Ingstad.

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Perhaps the question should be when does Treasury want a replacement as they seem to be able to screw any defence procurement proposed by a NZ GoD.
Treasury will want to replace them with Cook Strait ferries or similar.
When it comes to defence , they have no idea. Some time ago I was talking to one of the RNZN persons who was part of the procument team for the ANZAC's and he told me that they wanted to delete the gas turbine from the design. When it was pointed out that this would make them slower than a modern container ship, treasury insisted that they get certified confirmation from the shipping companies to confirm this, before they would accept it. Every one knew this was true, eccept treasury. :rolleyes:

Meriv90

French sensors, are they going to embark on design modification? Both Thales for the Polish and Benelux frigates.
Probably biased, but considering the Nansen class mounts US sensors and Mk.41, having the local Shipbuilder (VARD) inside Fincantieri group, the ASW optimization. They will probably aim at the Constellation class.

Redlands18

French sensors, are they going to embark on design modification? Both Thales for the Polish and Benelux frigates.
Probably biased, but considering the Nansen class mounts US sensors and Mk.41, having the local Shipbuilder (VARD) inside Fincantieri group, the ASW optimization. They will probably aim at the Constellation class.
How does a Navy with 4000 people crew 6x8000t Frigates with a crew requirement of over 180 each? They currently man 4 Frigates with crew requirements of 114 each. Constellation looks great until you look at the crewing requirements, which requires a quarter of the fleet to man the Frigates only. The natural successor to the Nansen's would be the F110 from Navantia, but as to whether Norway wants to go back there again, is anyone's guess.
The Benelux Frigates while using French CMS and sensors are carrying the same weapon systems as the Nansen so will already be integrated including the NSM. Operating the same vessels as 2 NATO allies who are geographically very close would-be a plus. Norway has said they want to buy into an existing build with minimum change, to do that you have to accept compromises and in this case they are probably going to have to accept a major change in either sensors or weapons and the Constellation class have far newer generations of Spy radars and AEGIS than the Nansen's.

Meriv90

Thanks for the correction, the crew requirements didn't cross my mind.

Taking a look at this report.

They could be operating under the assumption of a personel increase

Redlands18

Norway has released a Defence plan for the period 2025-2036, with the Navy being the biggest winner.

Submarines
Five U212CD to be ordered and an option for a sixth.
Frigates
Five new ASW frigates to be ordered from an existing line, with the first to be delivered by 2029. Interestingly Naval News has suggested, the Type 26, F-126, FDI, F-110, Constellation and the Dutch/Belgian ASWF may be the contenders.
Helicopters
No official announcement but having the Norwegian Coast Guard just start operating the MH-60R, it would have to be favourite.
Standardisation of Minor Warfare and Coast Guard vessels.
PBs, Corvettes, MCM and Auxiliaries will be condensed into two designs, a medium size vessel for coastal work and a large size vessel for ocean work.
Air Force
A long-range maritime surveillance drone for use in the high North.

Norway plans to increase Defence spending to 3% of GDP by 2036.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member