Royal Norwegian Navy (RNoN) News and Discussion

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Yes, saw that and a RCN vessel had a fire a little earlier. Luckily no deaths in either incidents. Another naval captain probably facing a career change regardless if he and his watch were not at fault.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I know that this isn't exactly RN related, but as one of the NATO allies involved in the Trident Juncture exercise in Norway, there were a few RN vessels that took part. It's a sad end to the exercise....

Norway warship collides with oil tanker
Glad no fatalities and hope the injuries are minor but that is going to be very very expensive. Those ships are very similar to the F-100 and the Hobarts, I wonder if there are any design issues that contributed to the catastrophic damage or whether it was just the physics of the collision.

Redlands18

Yes, saw that and a RCN vessel had a fire a little earlier. Luckily no deaths in either incidents. Another naval captain probably facing a career change regardless if he and his watch were not at fault.
At least he had the calmness of mind to order its Beaching or it would be sitting on the bottom of the Fjord.

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I know that this isn't exactly RN related, but as one of the NATO allies involved in the Trident Juncture exercise in Norway, there were a few RN vessels that took part. It's a sad end to the exercise....

Norway warship collides with oil tanker
That’s a catastrophic situation and will result in a lengthy time out of service.
I understood that the Norwegian Navy commissioned only two or three of the five frigates at any one time keeping the others in reserve. If that’s the case this incident should have minimal effect on the navy’s operations.

hauritz

Glad no fatalities and hope the injuries are minor but that is going to be very very expensive. Those ships are very similar to the F-100 and the Hobarts, I wonder if there are any design issues that contributed to the catastrophic damage or whether it was just the physics of the collision.
It looks like it would have sunk if it was in open water.

You can get a glimpse of the damage here. It looks pretty extensive.

Norwegian frigate takes on water after collision with oil tanker

KiwiRob

That’s a catastrophic situation and will result in a lengthy time out of service.
I understood that the Norwegian Navy commissioned only two or three of the five frigates at any one time keeping the others in reserve. If that’s the case this incident should have minimal effect on the navy’s operations.
That's because the Norwegian govt never purchased a spare parts package for the vessels, one of the frigates Otto Sverdrup is basically a parts hulk, she's been stripped of parts to keep the others running. Now there will only be 3 functional Nansens, I guess they will have to work out which one to reactivate, the partially sunk one or the parts hulk.

FormerDirtDart

It looks like it would have sunk if it was in open water.

You can get a glimpse of the damage here. It looks pretty extensive.

Norwegian frigate takes on water after collision with oil tanker

Looks like she's settled a bit. Weather is likely to make recovery a serious challenge, if the massive hole sliced in her starboard side weren't enough already

Chris Cavas on twitter
@CavasShips
Media allowed a look today (Mon) at half-sunk #Norwegian #frigate #HELGE INGSTAD F313 - note ship has settled a bit more over the past couple days. Salvage work has not yet begun, but #Navy plans to raise the ship and take her to Haakonsvern for repairs. Norwegian frigate takes on water after collision with oil tanker
INGSTAD F313 -1.jpg INGSTAD F313 -2.jpg INGSTAD F313 -3.jpg INGSTAD F313 -4.jpg

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
It seems the watch crew behaved much like the USS Fitzgerald as the tanker made repeated warnings that didn’t get acted upon. Situation awareness, apparently not. Lots of bizarre comments at other sites including the Norwegian frigate was moored and my favourite, Chinese and Russian agents are convincing tanker crews to collide with Western naval ships, preferably at port entrances.

Warnings and confusion preceded Norwegian frigate disaster: here’s what we know

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Why is a discussion about the Royal Norwegian Navy on the (UK) Royal Navy thread?

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Got started at #12421 probably because there isn't a Royal Norwegian Navy thread. The ship has now sunk so if further discussion is to be made, the next poster should create one.

New Photos Show Shipwrecked Norwegian Frigate Sinks Further After NATO Drills
Those pics show that it will be unlikely for the ship to ever re-enter service, I suspect they’ll write her off. The cost of refit could possibly exceed the new build cost despite the Norwegian shipyards being very capable.
One Aegis system written off and unlikely to be replaced even if they do salvage her.

Last edited:

hauritz

Those pics show that will be unlikely for the ship to ever renter service, I suspect they’ll write her off. The cost of refit could possibly exceed the new build cost despite the Norwegian shipyards being very capable.
One Aegis system written off and unlikely to be replaced even if they do salvage her.
Surely a write off. I can't imagine much of the machinery or electronics would be salvageable.

This ship is also based off the F-100 so I wonder if there are any concerns about this design. We have recently seen two Arleigh Burkes take massive hits and they survived.

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Surely a write off. I can't imagine much of the machinery or electronics would be salvageable.

This ship is also based off the F-100 so I wonder if there are any concerns about this design. We have recently seen two Arleigh Burkes take massive hits and they survived.
But the ABs machinery spaces weren’t catastrophically breached.

Redlands18

I don't think there can be any comparison between the Ingstad and the 2 Burkes, the Ingstad was hit in close proximity to shore and the crew was able to Beach her before she sank. The Burkes were in open Ocean and while they suffered severe damage they weren't in danger of Sinking, I think if the Ingstad had been hit in the open Ocean then she would probably be sitting on the Ocean Floor.
I suspect her future is salvage anything usable and she goes to the Breakers