Welcome to DefenceTalk.com Forum!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Royal Norwegian Navy (RNoN) News and Discussion

Discussion in 'Navy & Maritime' started by Systems Adict, Nov 8, 2018.

Share This Page

1. hauritz

hauritz Well-Known Member

I feel I am stating the obvious, but there is no way they are getting that thing back into service after 3 months underwater ... right?

I imagine just about everything will need replacing.

2. t68

t68 Well-Known Member

I imagine they can still use the hull, but would it be worth it slicing and diceing to get everything in/out

3. StevoJH

StevoJH Active Member

People/organisations can do strange things when pride is on the line. It depends on if it is looked at in purely monetary terms or not. In financial terms, they would presumably be better off ordering a new ship if the requirement exists.

4. t68

t68 Well-Known Member

Yep it would be like 100% Reno on a house after a major flooding, most likely cheaper to knock down and build new, actually was for me

5. StingrayOZ

StingrayOZ Well-Known Member

I would imagine you would have to basically take everything out, inspect/clean/test and then refit.
    Would be cheaper to build a new ship.

Might be more reasonable if they decide to "upgrade" a lot of the equipment. Engines, radar, computers, electrics etc. I thought the way that Norway crewed these, they could get by without this ship quite easily and it could be used for spares/parts.

6. Redlands18

Redlands18 Active Member

And the class was built between 2003-11 so not exactly brand new, so even if you decide to build a new one it’s going to be 20 years older then the first of Class Fridtjof Nansen so you are going to end up with a Ship that is an half Sister at best.

7. Systems Adict

Systems Adict Defense Professional Verified Defense Pro

The UK Royal Navy faced a similar dilemma back in the early 00's with HMS Nottingham ran aground. Her crew fought valiantly & saved the ship, but only just.
    The ship was brought back, stripped / repaired & put back to sea after some time, at a cost of over 30 millions of pounds, but it is obvious she was never the same & the details in the link below show that major damage to an older warship are likely to mean that unless it is essential to maintain your fleet, it's better to scrap the ship & start again...

HMS Nottingham (D91) - Wikipedia

8. swerve

swerve Super Moderator

Helge Ingstad was built 2006-9, so is just coming up to 10 years old.

9. StevoJH

StevoJH Active Member

Right, but Nottingham didn't spend 3 months completely underwater. And presumably much of the electronics would have been above the maximum water level.

swerve and Cadredave like this.