Royal Malaysian Navy (RMN) update

paskal

just wanna ask.
Has the meko been equipped with the mm-40 exocet blockII missles?
The meko is capable of doing that right?

wzhtg

Malaysia's first submarine

Some good news about out submarines =)

First space, now nation to launch first sub
By CHOI TUCK WO

PARIS: Just two days after Ma-laysia’s Angkasawan returned safely to Earth, another record is being set, this time it's underwater. The nation’s first Scorpene submarine will be launched today.
From space to sea, Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak flew here to attend the unveiling of the vessel, just hours after witnessing the historic mission at Moscow’s Mission Control Centre.
The Deputy Prime Minister’s wife Datin Seri Rosmah Mansor will perform the symbolic launch, followed by the official naming of the state-of-the-art underwater vessel.
The ceremony will be held at the DCNS dockyard in Cherbourg, about 400km from here, witnessed by senior Malaysian and French officials.
By January 2009, the Scorpene is expected to cruise home, manned by the country’s first submarine crew, while the second vessel is scheduled for delivery by October that year.
Equipped with torpedoes, sub-surface to surface missiles and sea mines, the 67.5m submarine is manned by only a 31-member crew due to its high level of automation.
The two submarines are being jointly built by DCNS of France and Navantia of Spain. A total of 142 Malaysians are undergoing training at the DCNS naval base in Brest, about 500km from here,
The submarine launch is the highlight of Najib’s four-day working trip to France which began yesterday.
Malaysian Ambassador to France Datuk S. Thanarajasingam said Najib’s visit was the first by a top Malaysian leader since the new government of President Ni-colas Sarkozy was formed in May. The visit will enable the Deputy Prime Minister to engage the leaders of the new administration and to further strengthen bilateral relations between the two countries, he told Malaysian journalists.

paskal

Some good news about out submarines =)

First space, now nation to launch first sub
By CHOI TUCK WO

PARIS: Just two days after Ma-laysia’s Angkasawan returned safely to Earth, another record is being set, this time it's underwater. The nation’s first Scorpene submarine will be launched today.
From space to sea, Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak flew here to attend the unveiling of the vessel, just hours after witnessing the historic mission at Moscow’s Mission Control Centre.
The Deputy Prime Minister’s wife Datin Seri Rosmah Mansor will perform the symbolic launch, followed by the official naming of the state-of-the-art underwater vessel.
The ceremony will be held at the DCNS dockyard in Cherbourg, about 400km from here, witnessed by senior Malaysian and French officials.
By January 2009, the Scorpene is expected to cruise home, manned by the country’s first submarine crew, while the second vessel is scheduled for delivery by October that year.
Equipped with torpedoes, sub-surface to surface missiles and sea mines, the 67.5m submarine is manned by only a 31-member crew due to its high level of automation.
The two submarines are being jointly built by DCNS of France and Navantia of Spain. A total of 142 Malaysians are undergoing training at the DCNS naval base in Brest, about 500km from here,
The submarine launch is the highlight of Najib’s four-day working trip to France which began yesterday.
Malaysian Ambassador to France Datuk S. Thanarajasingam said Najib’s visit was the first by a top Malaysian leader since the new government of President Ni-colas Sarkozy was formed in May. The visit will enable the Deputy Prime Minister to engage the leaders of the new administration and to further strengthen bilateral relations between the two countries, he told Malaysian journalists.
yeah man.....Malaysia has just received their first sumbarine named KD TUNKU ABDUL RAHMAN.
Theres one thing that i heard that took my ears.
Our minister of defence Najib has invited the frENCH DEFENCE INDUSTRY TO ESTABLISH FACILITIES IN MALAYSIA .
If thats happen ill bet it will start an era of malaysians creating their own war ships.
I heard this in the NEWS STRAITS TIMES on wednesday october 24.

Gripenator

Banned Member
Submarine crew to get US training

PORT KLANG: The Royal Malaysian Navy (RMN) is negotiating with its US counterparts to have its submarine crew undergo training onboard American submarines.
Assistant Chief of Staff Planning And Operations Laksamana Pertama Datuk Jamil Osman said the two parties were working out details on the types of training.
“Our submarines will be ready in 2009 and we are hoping to make use of the US Navy’s 60 years of experience in operating submarines to train our crew on operational and safety aspects,” he said during a press conference here yesterday.
Also present during the press conference was Commander of Submarine Group Seven Rear Admiral Doug McAneny.
Laksamana Pertama Jamil said the RMN was looking at getting formal as well as on-the-job training for its personnel who would placed onboard the two Scopene submarines being built by a joint-venture firm comprising French company DCN and Spain’s Navantia.
Malaysia bought the two submarines in 2002 which will be commissioned into the navy’s fleet in 2009.
Among the topics of discussion were ways to strengthen bilateral ties through discussions at the working level of both navies, learning and understanding strategies, and future directions and cooperation in operation of submarines. He said the RMN also raised issues like exchange of personnel, planning of operations and exercises aimed at increasing interaction and inter-operability between the two navies, and current issues that needed joint solutions or need help in terms of expertise, experience or information.
Interesting-but why would the USN allow non UK/AUS/CAN/NZ/NATO personnel to cross train aboard their SSNs, especially considering the RMN operates French hardware and systems?

caksz

The 3rd ship of Meko 100 OPV being launch today ... the 4th ship will be launch during LIMA 2007 on December and the 5th and 6th ship by 2009.

qwerty223

MYT 7:02:41 PM

Navy to get more offshore patrol vessels

By CLARA CHOOI

LUMUT: More offshore patrol vessels (OPVs) will be built for the Royal Malaysian Navy after they have taken delivery of the initial six craft by 2009, said Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak.

However, he said, the vessels would be built in stages and in accordance with the Government’s financial means.

“We will continue with the programme as many of the navy ships are uzur dan usang (old and rundown),” he told reporters after launching and naming ceremony of the third patrol vessel at Boustead Naval Shipyard here Monday.

Najib, who is also the Defence Minister, said the initial plan was to build 27 of such new generation patrol vessels to ensure the navy has an able fleet to carry out its duties.

“When the time comes, the Government will decide on the continuation of the project.”

Boustead Naval Shipyard Sdn Bhd, a subsidiary of Boustead Holdings Bhd, currently has an OPV contract with the Government to design, construct and deliver six vessels to the Navy.

The first two vessels – KD Kedah and KD Pahang – were delivered to the RMN last year. The third vessel was named KD Perak and launched by the Raja Permaisuri Perak Tuanku Bainun on Monday.

The third vessel was the first to be fully constructed at the Lumut naval base using local manpower and expertise.

“The fourth vessel is expected to be ready around the same time as the Langkawi International Maritime and Aerospace (Lima) 2007 exhibition in December while the last two should be ready by the end of 2009,” said Najib.

He said the construction cost for all six vessels was estimated over RM6bil.
Its not in this article, but the 4th will come on 6 DEC

TimmyC

The article states the initial plan was to build 27 such new generation OPV's. How does this compare to it's current fleet? 1 for 1 or increase/decrease? Also RM6 Billion for 6 vessels, thats nearly £1 Billion, realising nothing more has been confirmed but is it expected / hoped any more further orders will be MEKO 100 based?

qwerty223

The article states the initial plan was to build 27 such new generation OPV's. How does this compare to it's current fleet? 1 for 1 or increase/decrease? Also RM6 Billion for 6 vessels, thats nearly £1 Billion, realising nothing more has been confirmed but is it expected / hoped any more further orders will be MEKO 100 based?
It is a 20 years long term plan. Not to expect all 27 will in service with the navy, most probably the older batch will be transfer or back to the second line. They are also come in batch. Each batch are also expected to be different from the other. It is however to say it is based on MEKO100 but to be responsible, the variation may far vary from what we see now.
The 6 Bil is mostly for establishing the whole industry as we had never had the capability to build a ship of that size, not to mention we actually bought the whole technology in a glance. Although I never went detail what will be the cost if we figure it out ourselves step by step, by my estimate, the price is OK, just OK.

Systems Adict

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
It is a 20 years long term plan. Not to expect all 27 will in service with the navy, most probably the older batch will be transfer or back to the second line. They are also come in batch. Each batch are also expected to be different from the other. It is however to say it is based on MEKO100 but to be responsible, the variation may far vary from what we see now.
The 6 Bil is mostly for establishing the whole industry as we had never had the capability to build a ship of that size, not to mention we actually bought the whole technology in a glance. Although I never went detail what will be the cost if we figure it out ourselves step by step, by my estimate, the price is OK, just OK.
As stated in your comments, it's a long term goal of sustaining the RMN, while helping build up an industrial base so that you can design manufacture & assemble the ships yourself, in the future. A bold & sensible thought !!

27 vessels is a little more than 1 for 1, if my memory serves me well...

However, the prospect of having 4 or 5 variants of the same hull is a bit perplexing to the layman, I know though that it is yet another wise move, as it allows for incremental technological updates (a very similar format to that used by the US in their CVN programme!).

This process leaves certain things like "hotel" fixtures, light fittings, power sockets, etc, as a standard type throughout each variant, but allows for Weapons equipments to be different / an upgraded model of the previous batch. This approach makes common sense with costing (through life support / spares commonality between new build & refit vessels), & also due to the fact that most equipment by the time it gets fitted to the ship is nearly 2-3 years out of date with up to date / state of the art technology !

Systems Adict

qwerty223

As stated in your comments, it's a long term goal of sustaining the RMN, while helping build up an industrial base so that you can design manufacture & assemble the ships yourself, in the future. A bold & sensible thought !!

27 vessels is a little more than 1 for 1, if my memory serves me well...

However, the prospect of having 4 or 5 variants of the same hull is a bit perplexing to the layman, I know though that it is yet another wise move, as it allows for incremental technological updates (a very similar format to that used by the US in their CVN programme!).

This process leaves certain things like "hotel" fixtures, light fittings, power sockets, etc, as a standard type throughout each variant, but allows for Weapons equipments to be different / an upgraded model of the previous batch. This approach makes common sense with costing (through life support / spares commonality between new build & refit vessels), & also due to the fact that most equipment by the time it gets fitted to the ship is nearly 2-3 years out of date with up to date / state of the art technology !

Systems Adict
certainly not 1 to 1 replace. 27 is almost the total of the current fleet.

TanaTana

In the January 08 issue of the Perajurit magazine there is an article saying that RMN may be choosing ESSM as its SAM system for the Batch 2 Frigates. However in the January 08 issue of Tempur magazine mentioned that RMN had chosen Aster 15 and SeaWolf as its SAM systems.

Can anyone verify which system does RMN actually will be using? Or everything is still a rumour....

Mr Ignorant

A question.

What if, the Defence Minister Najib, agreed to implement a plan to bolster the RMN Air fleet by moving the RMAF F/A 18Ds to the RMN?

This is purely for feedback on this idea. All opinions welcome.

A

Aussie Digger

A question.

What if, the Defence Minister Najib, agreed to implement a plan to bolster the RMN Air fleet by moving the RMAF F/A 18Ds to the RMN?

This is purely for feedback on this idea. All opinions welcome.
Does the RMN have to provide the support infrastructure, training resources, pilots etc for this move? Or will the entire capability as it currently exists under RMAF simply be transferred to RMN, along with the budget provision to support the capability?

If not, I fail to see the point of what is essentially an "administrative" move only. How is the Malaysian Defence Forces as a whole going to benefit from this?

To me it seems that existing support, infrastructure and training resources will end up becoming duplicated. Hardly a worthwhile proposition in of itself in a force where the major complaint is the duplication of roles that are covered by multiple aircraft types...

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Ignorant

Does the RMN have to provide the support infrastructure, training resources, pilots etc for this move? Or will the entire capability as it currently exists under RMAF simply be transferred to RMN, along with the budget provision to support the capability?

If not, I fail to see the point of what is essentially an "administrative" move only. How is the Malaysian Defence Forces as a whole going to benefit from this?

To me it seems that existing support, infrastructure and training resources will end up becoming duplicated. Hardly a worthwhile proposition in of itself in a force where the major complaint is the duplication of roles that are covered by multiple aircraft types...
The issue of duplication was one which I wanted to discuss. Assuming that all Pilots are trained centrally in the Air Force and then those who are aptly considered would be selected for the Navy, where this stream would feed personnel for Navy postings. How does the Australian Navy for instance recruits it's pilots?? For the moment I've been trawling the net to see if a similar recruitment model is in place, but it is worth I belief looking into how the RN, RAN and USN brings pilots to it's formations. I belief there is some point of reference there and maybe the answers are there too.

On the MAF, a fleet air arm capable of deploying Hornets and related Harpoon Missiles, is for the moment in my mind a novelty, but one which has been raised and composed before in the Royal Navy, and the Royal Australian Navy, albeit with different aircraft types, rather than the Hornets that I am thinking of.

Would it duplicate the Air Force role? Personally in my mind, I don't think the split would be divisive, resulting in duplication. The Navy would have the benefit of employing a fleet air arm effectively covering disputed territories (Spratly Islands comes into mind) on it's missive independently of the Air Force, complementing the use of frigates, patrol craft and submarines that would form it's near future service.

But, the creation of a new fleet air arm of Hornets would create some issues in terms of training, setup, logistics, supply and maybe even simplification. The RMAF may not take to the view, but with Ministerial approval it can tow the line.

Last edited:

nevidimka

How would navy's mission be more effective if they have planes? Will thier reaction to incident be more swift? Will it pack more a threst by employing an air wing for a given situation? Also does any other SEA nation have an air wing for thier navy? Also will the planes needs to be moved to navy base for swifter reaction times n longer operating time/range considering the short legged of hornets.

Also i belive if the Navy s allowed to have an air wing, it will stretch its budget or the budget for the navy will have to be increased.

but it will be interesting though if we have a navy complete with air wing.

Mr Ignorant

Off course the RMN's budget will increase commensurate with the induction of new patrol vessels, frigates and submarines, but in theory the move of F/A 18s into the fleet air arm would increase the budget but not by much compared to the other acquisitions.

In the future, the Spratly Islands, and Ambalat would continue to be an issue for Malaysia. The building of new sally ports, new navy bases, new airfields should strengthen the Navy's force capability, primarily in the Celebes Sea, the Sulu Seas, and the South China Sea. Sabah is the new frontier where the MAF will enforce it's presence compared to in the past, where the area was considered to remote and economically underdeveloped and inactive to warrant a substantial military presence. Oil, and increasing trade and labour movement changed all that. It doesn't help either when China, Vietnam, the Phillipines and Indonesia all stake spurious claims on our territorial waters. A fleet air arm in that area would enhance our presence.

Last edited: