Royal Malaysian Navy (RMN) update

Ding

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
On a whole new direction here. Last night i couldnt sleep, so i went through my old collection of local defence mags. I was reading an article about amphibs (the Singapore's LSTs). So i was thinking would those kind of ships fit into the structure of the RMN and if so, how or what kind of capability expansion does it offer the RMN in regards to supporting the malaysian armed forces.

I believe that amphibs will have a tremendous impact to help the deployment of forces between east and west malaysia. this will almost certainly hold true when the army starts to receive the pt91 mbts. Then we come to the next question, if it's needed and budget permiting, what kind of amphibs do RMN need in order to fulfil it's requirement.

swerve

Super Moderator
I think dedicated LSTs would be a waste of money. Singapore requires transports because of its diverse training areas in Australia, Taiwan, Thailand etc. Accordingly, having dedicated transports would save money (instead of leasing commercial transport).

Cheaper for Malaysia just to base tanks in west Malaysia and transport these to east Malaysia in peacetime using commercial shipping. In wartime, Singapore is not going to deny Malaysia (FPDA still in effect) the use of its transports so that'd save a bomb.

btw, Najib suggested that MY and IN personnel be allowed to operate terminals in AEWs/MPA RSAF aircraft as part of the "eyes in the sky" programme.

LSTs are just going to be sitting in docks most of the time which is a waste of money and personnel. Construction LSTs are not expensive but maintenance eg personnel costs, repairs, fuel etc will be.
Commercial transport has drawbacks. Suitable ships may not be available when wanted. But amphibious ships aren't the only alternative. Consider the RNs ro-ro deal: 6 ro-ro transports built to navy spec (actually a standard commercial design with minor modifications), operated by a commercial shipping company. The navy has two permanently assigned, & the rest are available for commercial charter, with a recall clause in the contracts so that if needed, the navy can get 'em back fast. This arrangement keeps the ships busy & brings in revenue to help defray their costs.

The recall clause makes 'em a bit less attractive to commercial customers, but that can't be helped, & in any case, the army has had more use for them (e.g. transporting armoured vehicles to Iraq) than forecast, & they've become the preferred ships for government contracts, which has taken up the slack. Overall, a very good deal for the British armed forces.

It strikes me that Malaysia, with its widely separated territories, probably has regular government use of commercial transports. A couple of ro-ros tailored for military use like our Point class & available for charter when not needed by the military might be very handy. Cheaper than LSTs, & charter fees should cover much of the operating costs.

Note: having them operated by a commercial firm is important. A government agency is not going to run a charter operation efficiently.

swerve

Super Moderator

In Malaysia's case, I think 1 RO-RO vessel may be sufficient.
For routine military use, probably. But there might be enough government business to make two worthwhile, & it'd guarantee one being available for military use when needed (ships need repair occasionally), & provide a surge capacity in emergency.

SGMilitary

RMN New weapons fit

I've read the same article couple of weeks ago.

It's good to see that all the various ASEAN countries are modernising

their ARMED FORCES.

It does contribute to regional power balance especially with the growing influence of India and China.

I'm very sure that the RSN will be the 1st in ASIA to showcase PAAMS system

when she re-equipped her Formidable with Aster15/30 missiles.

Cheers to ASEAN!

dreamwarrior73

I've read the same article couple of weeks ago.

It's good to see that all the various ASEAN countries are modernising

their ARMED FORCES.

It does contribute to regional power balance especially with the growing influence of India and China.

I'm very sure that the RSN will be the 1st in ASIA to showcase PAAMS system

when she re-equipped her Formidable with Aster15/30 missiles.

Cheers to ASEAN!
not the 1st in Asia. the 1st in SEA yes.

p/s: please feel free to gloat some more.

wzhtg

Sub training

Submarine crew to get US training

PORT KLANG: The Royal Malaysian Navy (RMN) is negotiating with its US counterparts to have its submarine crew undergo training onboard American submarines.
Assistant Chief of Staff Planning And Operations Laksamana Pertama Datuk Jamil Osman said the two parties were working out details on the types of training.
“Our submarines will be ready in 2009 and we are hoping to make use of the US Navy’s 60 years of experience in operating submarines to train our crew on operational and safety aspects,” he said during a press conference here yesterday.
Also present during the press conference was Commander of Submarine Group Seven Rear Admiral Doug McAneny.
Laksamana Pertama Jamil said the RMN was looking at getting formal as well as on-the-job training for its personnel who would placed onboard the two Scopene submarines being built by a joint-venture firm comprising French company DCN and Spain’s Navantia.
Malaysia bought the two submarines in 2002 which will be commissioned into the navy’s fleet in 2009.
Among the topics of discussion were ways to strengthen bilateral ties through discussions at the working level of both navies, learning and understanding strategies, and future directions and cooperation in operation of submarines. He said the RMN also raised issues like exchange of personnel, planning of operations and exercises aimed at increasing interaction and inter-operability between the two navies, and current issues that needed joint solutions or need help in terms of expertise, experience or information.

SGMilitary

Singapore Navy

Hey manz...good to be back!

Once the Singapore navy re-equipped her Formidable frigate with Aster15/30,

she will be the 1st in ASIA to have PAAMS capabilities.

In fact, as of now only RSN operate the Aster 15 missile in ASIA.

The Formidable frigate is equippped with Herakles phased array radar

which was also selected by French navy to equip her FREMM frigates.

But I strongly believe that the current modernisation trends of ASEAN

armed forces is beneficial to this region.

Cheers!

contedicavour

Submarine crew to get US training

PORT KLANG: The Royal Malaysian Navy (RMN) is negotiating with its US counterparts to have its submarine crew undergo training onboard American submarines.
Assistant Chief of Staff Planning And Operations Laksamana Pertama Datuk Jamil Osman said the two parties were working out details on the types of training.
“Our submarines will be ready in 2009 and we are hoping to make use of the US Navy’s 60 years of experience in operating submarines to train our crew on operational and safety aspects,” he said during a press conference here yesterday.
Also present during the press conference was Commander of Submarine Group Seven Rear Admiral Doug McAneny.
Laksamana Pertama Jamil said the RMN was looking at getting formal as well as on-the-job training for its personnel who would placed onboard the two Scopene submarines being built by a joint-venture firm comprising French company DCN and Spain’s Navantia.
Malaysia bought the two submarines in 2002 which will be commissioned into the navy’s fleet in 2009.
Among the topics of discussion were ways to strengthen bilateral ties through discussions at the working level of both navies, learning and understanding strategies, and future directions and cooperation in operation of submarines. He said the RMN also raised issues like exchange of personnel, planning of operations and exercises aimed at increasing interaction and inter-operability between the two navies, and current issues that needed joint solutions or need help in terms of expertise, experience or information.
Good for them. I'm just a bit surprised the Malaysian crews aren't trained by the French and Spanish navies... after all the Scorpene comes from there ! Also, the new SSKs will perform mostly coastal ASW and ASUW missions. With all due respect I'm not sure the USN is the best suited for coastal missions with nimble small SSKs ;)

cheers

qwerty223

Good for them. I'm just a bit surprised the Malaysian crews aren't trained by the French and Spanish navies... after all the Scorpene comes from there ! Also, the new SSKs will perform mostly coastal ASW and ASUW missions. With all due respect I'm not sure the USN is the best suited for coastal missions with nimble small SSKs ;)

cheers
IMO, they do so cause US Navy may have more experience in SEA water.

contedicavour

Quite a number of years back at the height of the cold war, there were a number of studies on ASW capability due to the high rates of Russki submarines detected traversing the straits of malacca.

One of the nightmare scenarios has always been hostile subs eg Chinese subs blockading the straits.

As a consequence, littoral nations around the straits have attempted to beef up ASW capabilities. These includes patrol vessels eg RSN's Fearless class and F27 ASW a/c, Malaysia's wasp helo followed by the S.Lynx and consequently Malaysia & Singapore's submarine purchase.

Like tanks, the best weapon against a sub is another. That's probably the main mission.
Thks so priority is coastal ASW to prevent the Malacca straits from being blockaded. This type of activity is almost surely hardly practiced by the USN SSNs, and it would better be left to France, Germany, Sweden and Italy who have always used their SSKs (France handed over its last SSKs to Malaysia) for coastal ASW interdiction of small and dense (with traffic) waterways.

cheers

Ding

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Heh? RMN naval destroyers? What now we have destroyers I don't know about? What going on here? :unknown

Sorry couldn't help but make a mockery of the bernama news. KD Gempita, KD Ganyang, KD Perkasa and KD Pendekar are FACS. Hehe sorry. Nothing important to write:)