Royal Malaysian Navy (RMN) update

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Which Type of Rifle Pakistan Navy is Using as compare to the Indian navy
I could be mistaken, but I believe this thread is about the Royal Malaysian Navy, not the Indian or Pakistani navies. Other than that, I would imagine the two navies make use of whatever type rifle their armies use.

-Cheers

Ding

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
hehe. that's a good one.

but seriously, what can we offer them. it's not like we have the capability of building "light patrol craft within the 30 metre class". Or maybe they want their ships back, the laksamana class? just jk

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
We still use our 23 years old warships. we barely have enough ships in our inventory and the navy are begging for more. what's left is either obsolete or transfered to our APMM. we can't afford to provide anything to Iraq.

I would like to see an upgrade to our Kasturis. Those Bofors ASW rocket launcher we can afford without and should be replace with SAM like crotale or RAM to give the ship better Anti-missile protection. There's also room behind to put the second SAM launcher, but i suggest we put a miniUAV launcher to provide the ship OTH visibility and targeting. in place of the ASW rocket, we can put 2 x B515 triple 12.75 inch torpedo launcher on both side of the ship.

Last edited:

Ding

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I concur with awang se to upgrade the kasturi class to have a capable sam. i do prefer the RAM instead of the crotale. Is it possible tu upgrade the kasturis to use the seawolf? that would be better in terms of logistics and maintenance as the lekius are already using them. Both class of frigates already have a common SSM which is the Exocet, MM38 for kasturi and MM40 for the lekius.

if RMN does that, that'll provide them with 4 capable light frigates - 2 lekius and 2 kasturis. Then plus the 4 laksamana corvettes, we'll have quite a capable force. In fact instead of purchasing another 2 lekiu class, divert the funds for the kasturi upgrading plus the kedah class upgrade to missile corvette standards. then we'll have 4 light FFG, and 10 Corvettes.

while we are on the topic of the kedah class opv's, I read that it can be outfitted with the RAM and the exocet fairly quickly as it has wiring for those systems. thing is, i did not see any upgrade options for ASW systems and armement. AFAIK, the class has no ASW systems and armament at the moment. Is it true? and also what happens if the upgarding excersice is performed? will there be no module for ASW equiptmen?

Last edited:

Tasman

Ship Watcher
Verified Defense Pro
while we are on the topic of the kedah class opv's, I read that it can be outfitted with the RAM and the exocet fairly quickly as it has wiring for those systems. thing is, i did not see any upgrade options for ASW systems and armement. AFAIK, the class has no ASW systems and armament at the moment. Is it true? and also what happens if the upgarding excersice is performed? will there be no module for ASW equiptmen?
ASW doesn't seem like a high priority for these ships. However, according to Janes Fighting Ships, 2004/05 the ships are able to embark a Super Lynx helicopter equipped with ASW torpedoes and provision has been made to fit sonar if required at a later date.

Cheers

kaybee

Having more corvettes would not take care of FFG needs. We should continue with the purchase of Batch II. What I gather from a closed forum is that the Kasturi-class SLEP program would include combat system, radar, add SAM (MBDA Tetral?), removal of Giat 100mm and add platform management system. No decision is being made on what to do with ASRL yet.

qwerty223

We still use our 23 years old warships. we barely have enough ships in our inventory and the navy are begging for more. what's left is either obsolete or transfered to our APMM. we can't afford to provide anything to Iraq.

I would like to see an upgrade to our Kasturis. Those Bofors ASW rocket launcher we can afford without and should be replace with SAM like crotale or RAM to give the ship better Anti-missile protection. There's also room behind to put the second SAM launcher, but i suggest we put a miniUAV launcher to provide the ship OTH visibility and targeting. in place of the ASW rocket, we can put 2 x B515 triple 12.75 inch torpedo launcher on both side of the ship.
Actually, the money is paid by the "United Forces", but in order to prevent money goes from "right hand to left hand" they chose a third party which happens to be Malaysia. So, obsolete 2nd hand vessel is not in their consider.

And since Italy will be providing the "big toy", I guess, compare to the size of "35 sailors", ours would be a "10sailor" petrol craft. From what I found recently, PCS do have the tech to build such a boat/craft as they already provide our coast guard few of them. While for the support vessel, "support" can also mean less requirement, our shipbuilders may have that capacity too? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Systems Adict

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I've read thru the thread and see from those who have posted comments, that, like most navies around the globe, there is a "concern" about lack of new vessels & the speed at which increasing naval force size is taking place.

As a discussion point & Hypothetically speaking...(as i don't ever see this scenario developing)

...If / When the RBN take delivery of their 3 Nakhodah Class OPV's & they decided that it would be a good idea to lease or sell one, to help the RMN build a "partner" force (being neighbouring countries), or so that the RMN could use it to "quickly advance" the 9th Plan.

Would you see this action as...

#A - A good thing. (neighbours helping each other to grow & develop in experience & stature, sharing & utilising new technologies / common equipment).

#B - A bad thing. (distracting from current doctrine, by upsetting the delicate & controlled chain of build, development & finance programmes, at a time when the RMN needs to grow at a balanced pace).

#C - Something else...?

What are your thoughts ??

Systems Adict

qwerty223

...If / When the RBN take delivery of their 3 Nakhodah Class OPV's & they decided that it would be a good idea to lease or sell one, to help the RMN build a "partner" force (being neighbouring countries), or so that the RMN could use it to "quickly advance" the 9th Plan.
Well IMO, a sell is not quite possible, a lease might have little more chance. As from the scenario, those ships are just some lost attraction toys of the sultan. They rather to let it rot in england than to do further work making use of it.

Even we did manage convince them to sail their ships, to involve in a matter of co-training would be better. Join forces make things complicate and eat up resources that are rather too much for us...

qwerty223

RP, Malaysia Navies start war games

By Joel E. Zurbano

THE Philippine and Malaysian Navies began yesterday the 10-day naval exercises in waters off Luzon and Sulu which are considered a key conduit for Al Qaida-linked militants, human traffickers and arms smugglers, officials said.

Dubbed “Malphi Laut 2007,” the exercises will involve six Navy ships and about 300 personnel and is meant to allow the two Navies to communicate faster and jointly catch pirates, suspected terrorists and other outlaws, said Navy Capt. Orwen Cortez.

“Maritime terrorism is a big problem, but it’s not the only crime being committed in the maritime environment,” Cortez told a news conference in Manila, where a ceremony marked the exercises’ start. “We have other transnational crimes such as trafficking of drugs, human beings, military hardware.”

Three Navy vessels—BRP Artemio Ricarte, BRP Bienvenido Salting and BRP Quezon, one plane and one helicopter—are set to be used in the war games by two naval special operations teams.

The Malaysian Navy has sent three ships—KD Kedah, KD Laksamana Tan Pusmah, and KD Yu—and two special operations teams.

Malaysian Navy Capt. Hadji Rusli Bin Hadji Idrus, commander of the newly established directorate for the exercise Task Group 80.2, said the event will “promote regional security and improve relationship on working together.”

“We understand each other and we speak the same language... Navy to Navy,” said the Malaysian Navy officer.

“Malaysia has been the Philippine Navy’s strong partner in the development of national security, in the sense that we share common borders where transnational crimes are becoming the modern trends among terrorist groups and pirates,” said Navy chief Vice Adm. Rogelio Calunsag. “The exercise with Malaysia will also serve to support the Navy’s efforts along with the national government’s efforts to promote peace in Mindanao.”
link to article
KD Kedah is quite active! :D

btw, May 15th~18th KD PAHANG, KD LAKSAMANA TAN PUSMAH will be taking part in the IDEX 2007 join exercise!

both meko are active lolx

Last edited:

qwerty223

Navy planning second test launch of Sea Skua missile

LUMUT: The navy plans to carry out a second test launch of the Sea Skua guided missile system, which had failed to take off last year, RMN chief Laksamana Datuk Ramlan Mohamed Ali said.

“We have identified and overcome the technical problems behind the failure of the first launch.

“The technical problem had nothing to do with the navy,” he told reporters after a parade held in conjunction with the 73rd Navy Day at the Lumut naval base on Friday.

Laksamana Ramlan said Matra BAE Dynamics, the company which supplied the navy with the missile system, had admitted full responsibility for the failure of the first test.

In March last year, the multi-million-ringgit Sea Skua missile developed technical difficulties after it was fired from the navy’s Super Lynx 300 MK100 helicopter from a height of 90m in its inaugural launch.

The missile was supposed to hit a barge about eight nautical miles away but instead sank into the Straits of Malacca after its booster rocket failed to ignite.

Laksamana Ramlan said the navy would not carry out an operation to salvage the missile as it would be a costly affair.
another news, guess not back to back post?
hope this time everything go smooth, complete our Sea Lynx 300 and move on to new project :)