Royal Canadian Navy Discussions and updates

Pusser Tas

Posted information on this new mast some time back and received some interesting replies. From memory (not the best) the theory behind the non-penetrating mast was first developed by a German academic in the late 1800's.

Have no further offerings.

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Posted information on this new mast some time back and received some interesting replies. From memory (not the best) the theory behind the non-penetrating mast was first developed by a German academic in the late 1800's.

Have no further offerings.
Good day

My question related to this comment in your post.

It is well known that the the 'Attack Class' will have a new periscope that does not have to penetrate the surface.

That appears to suggest the surface of the water not hull penetration. For the mast to achieve most of its objectives it will need to pop the optronic sensors or lens above the surface of the water .... unless there is technology I am unware of.

So I was suggesting that you are referring to non-penetrating masts such as those discussed in the Defence Connect magazine. These are coming into common use for all masts (not just the periscope) to reduce hull penetrations. As an example the Virginia Class has two phototronic masts.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Some more of the usual political bullshit wrt the CSC program. A conservative pollie bitching about naval personnel dumping on the PBO, pretty pathetic considering the Conservative party pushed for the CSC project and had no complaints about the T26 choice. This will just make it easier for junior to cut or change the program, a move that will save SFA on the overall cost and result in a less effective capability. If the PRC had a political $hit show like Canada, the world wouldn’t have to worry about the PLAN!

Pusser Tas

Good day

My question related to this comment in your post.

It is well known that the the 'Attack Class' will have a new periscope that does not have to penetrate the surface.

That appears to suggest the surface of the water not hull penetration. For the mast to achieve most of its objectives it will need to pop the optronic sensors or lens above the surface of the water .... unless there is technology I am unware of.

So I was suggesting that you are referring to non-penetrating masts such as those discussed in the Defence Connect magazine. These are coming into common use for all masts (not just the periscope) to reduce hull penetrations. As an example the Virginia Class has two phototronic masts.
I have a brain tumor & thus do not know . I think that my post referred to a mast that did not penetrate the surface. Cannot locate the article that led to my original post.

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I have a brain tumor & thus do not know . I think that my post referred to a mast that did not penetrate the surface. Cannot locate the article that led to my original post.
Fair enough, we will consider this one closed. Take care.

John Newman

The Bunker Group
Some more of the usual political bullshit wrt the CSC program. A conservative pollie bitching about naval personnel dumping on the PBO, pretty pathetic considering the Conservative party pushed for the CSC project and had no complaints about the T26 choice. This will just make it easier for junior to cut or change the program, a move that will save SFA on the overall cost and result in a less effective capability. If the PRC had a political $hit show like Canada, the world wouldn’t have to worry about the PLAN!
It always amazes me that nearly all Canadian defence related articles (for all three services), focus so heavily on money.

Money, money, money!!

The articles always focus on the estimated project cost being twice as much or more than the original estimate, but forgetting that Canadian Defence projects are usually delayed for decades and the original project estimate dates back to when Noah was a boy!!

Will anything change? Don’t think so.

Cheers,

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Yep, endless delays inflate costs on every DND program. What really pisses me off is this opposition member moaning over a $70 billion expenditure that spans 30 plus years yet this fool doesn’t question how junior has run up a $250 billion deficit in 12 frigging months!

John Newman

The Bunker Group
Yep, endless delays inflate costs on every DND program. What really pisses me off is this opposition member moaning over a $70 billion expenditure that spans 30 plus years yet this fool doesn’t question how junior has run up a $250 billion deficit in 12 frigging months!
John, mate, you’re a Canuck, you know asking sensible ‘why’ questions will get you no where.

Just give up and move here to Oz!!

Cheers,

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Hard to believe your bad luck, the country with one of the lowest COVID rates manages to send over one of their few infected citizens.
No,no. They still have her. We just banned the whole country on principle when they found her. They are Kiwis, after all.

oldsig

John Newman

The Bunker Group
Hard to believe your bad luck, the country with one of the lowest COVID rates manages to send over one of their few infected citizens.
Mate, the borders are locked tight, and not just to our Kiwi cousins across the ditch.

Anyone who does arrive is automatically put into 14 days quarantine, and tested regularly during quarantine.

Last figures I saw showed that across the country there are less 150 active cases, about 30 in hospital, and 0 cases in ICU.

All new cases appear to be with people returning to Oz, who automatically go into quarantine.

Hope things are improving for you guys.

Cheers,

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Mate, the borders are locked tight, and not just to our Kiwi cousins across the ditch.

Anyone who does arrive is automatically put into 14 days quarantine, and tested regularly during quarantine.

Last figures I saw showed that across the country there are less 150 active cases, about 30 in hospital, and 0 cases in ICU.

All new cases appear to be with people returning to Oz, who automatically go into quarantine.

Hope things are improving for you guys.

Cheers,
Going from bad to worse, much like Europe. Another complication is vaccine production cutbacks in Europe which is effecting Canada’s vaccination efforts. All vaccines are Euro sourced as the US isn’t exporting to Canada except for a limited shipment of the Moderna vaccine.

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Going from bad to worse, much like Europe. Another complication is vaccine production cutbacks in Europe which is effecting Canada’s vaccination efforts. All vaccines are Euro sourced as the US isn’t exporting to Canada except for a limited shipment of the Moderna vaccine.
OT
Is that a US embargo or was the govt slow/inactive in ordering?

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
OT
Is that a US embargo or was the govt slow/inactive in ordering?
The US is basically forcing Pfizer’s US plant to supply the US only, the same likely applies to Moderna although they have shipped some doses. The government did place significant orders with both companies prior to vaccines being approved. Our Pfizer vaccine comes from Europe and the company claims capacity had to be reduced in order to revamp the facility for increased production or so they claim. Orders were also placed for other vaccine candidates including AstraZenaca.

swerve

Super Moderator
Yes, the Pfizer factory in Belgium, which supplies the UK & other European countries, is cutting production for a while while modifying the plant to increase production capacity. Looks like bad planning to me. They're telling customers they're going to have to wait for ordered vaccines to be delivered, which is making a lot of governments very annoyed. With orders on the books, why wait until now to boost capacity? Why not months ago? Why not find a new site instead of disrupting production at an existing one? I'm sure governments would be eager to facilitate that.

AstraZeneca also has a delivery problem, though I think that the reason is different. Its Belgian & Dutch factories haven't been able to expand production as much as planned*, & is telling the EU it can't deliver as many doses as promised in the next two months. Its British production facilities seem to be successfully increasing production, but AstraZeneca says that was all booked by the UK before the EU contract was signed.

*Apparently they're getting lower than expected yields of the adenovirus that's used as a vector. Until that's sorted out their vaccine production will be less than promised. Yields at the UK factory (factories?) are much better, up to target. Somebody's got to find the difference in what they're doing & fix it.

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
We may be in a better position in Australia as we have set up production in country with CSL and the AstraZeneca vaccine has been in production for some time after the government stumped up 1.7 billion for the capability. It looks like Novavax may also be made by CSL but there is the normal political game play around that.

More vaccines could be made in Australia – but not for months (thenewdaily.com.au)

Australia have ordered Pfizer vaccine and it was supposed to be rolled out next month but, noting the issues in Europe, it will be interesting to see how that goes.

As an aside .... I think we are OT.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Another media report on the CSC program along with some comments from former Admiral Norman. He seems to be reconciled that costs are going to effect the program. The only positive is his favouring a reduction in the number as opposed to a less expensive substitute design (which in the end wouldn’t be less expensive), in other words he favours quality over quantity. I have always expected the 15 ship number would be a variable. The government will blame COVID and hype the fact the RCN only has 12 frigates currently. Similarly the 88 new fast jets will become 65 again (maybe even less). These measures will be politically safer than any drastic changes or cancellations although these remain a possibility given junior’s irresponsible spending.