Royal Canadian Navy Discussions and updates

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
At the end of the day we are talking about a very complex product required by a single customer (RCN) that will be managed by a bureaucracy that has really smart people for the most part but who can be screwed over by pollies depending on the political weather. Then there is the ship builder and the supply chain and possible mission changes during the build. Nothing easy about this and let’s face it, despite best intentions and capabilities, “stuff” will happen.

Black Jack Shellac

Never seen a private company game contracts to squeeze more money out? Or do stupid things like getting rid of workers in fits of machismo, then have to hire freelancers or subcontract out work at higher cost? I recall one such case where a firm lost a big contract because in the process of cutting headcount to meet apparently arbitrary requirements it had got rid of people whose skills were needed to support it, & another where a friend of mine spent a day - what was supposed to be a one hour meeting taking six - managing to get a proposal which was about to be approved casually to be costed. The finance & legal people assumed that skilled technical staff were replaceable without significant cost, & they could switch technology more or less overnight for the cost of hardware & software licenses.

All private companies.

I've also seen government employees worrying about cost because they felt responsible to taxpayers.
Well, I could argue everyone of your statements on the government side. I have seen no level of incompetence unrewarded by our federal government. Just look at Canada's defence procurement history to get an idea of what we are dealing with here.

With proper oversight, I would trust a private company any day over a Canadian government run company.

And I have never seen any gov't employee worry about taxpayer money, only thing they worry about is their pension. And I have dealt with plenty. Mostly they just joke about how much money they are wasting.

I guess we just have different experiences.

Calculus

Never seen a private company game contracts to squeeze more money out? Or do stupid things like getting rid of workers in fits of machismo, then have to hire freelancers or subcontract out work at higher cost? I recall one such case where a firm lost a big contract because in the process of cutting headcount to meet apparently arbitrary requirements it had got rid of people whose skills were needed to support it, & another where a friend of mine spent a day - what was supposed to be a one hour meeting taking six - managing to get a proposal which was about to be approved casually to be costed. The finance & legal people assumed that skilled technical staff were replaceable without significant cost, & they could switch technology more or less overnight for the cost of hardware & software licenses.

All private companies.

I've also seen government employees worrying about cost because they felt responsible to taxpayers.
As a general rule, private, for-profit motivated entities are more efficient than non or not-for-profit entities. That is an unassailable fact. It's called the profit motive. Can there be exceptions? Of course, but if I had to wager on a government-run shipyard or a privately-run shipyard for maximum efficiency, I'd wager on the private one every time. I realize now, after some education by @Mikeymike, that Osborne is a bit of a hybrid, so that model may well work, but as a general rule, private beats public every time for controlling costs.

Pusser Tas

I realize now, after some education by @Mikeymike, that Osborne is a bit of a hybrid, so that model may well work, but as a general rule, private beats public every time for controlling costs.

That's why Ansett had to screw TAA in an aircraft swap in order to survive. TAA had 3 plane types, Ansett had over 10 with the resultant problems with maintenance and pilot training.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I realize now, after some education by @Mikeymike, that Osborne is a bit of a hybrid, so that model may well work, but as a general rule, private beats public every time for controlling costs.

That's why Ansett had to screw TAA in an aircraft swap in order to survive. TAA had 3 plane types, Ansett had over 10 with the resultant problems with maintenance and pilot training.
Then Air NZ came along and really screwed the dingo.

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Then Air NZ came along and really screwed the dingo.
Not really, due to their lack of good due diligence Air NZ were the ones that got screwed in the purchase of what was already a dog that was so close to death that it stunk to high heaven. Ansett was costing Air NZ about a million a day after the take over and would have destroyed both airlines had not Air NZ not put Ansett into liquidation and then been bought out by the NZ government of the day. Basically the Australian owner ( from memory it was News Corp) had asset stripped Ansett and used them as a debt sinkhole, saw Air NZ come along with blinkers on and stars in their eyes and took full advantage of them .

John Newman

The Bunker Group
You say that as if it's a good thing. When has ownership by government ever been more efficient than private ownership? Private ownership virtually guarantees regular updates of equipment and processes in order to gain efficiencies. These efficiencies will help to reduce costs and increase the profit margin to the shipyard from a fixed-price contract. This should also limit project overruns. That incentive is simply not there with governments. I see more likelihood that a privately owned shipyard will control costs than a government owned shipyard. That does not seem like a terribly great decision to me. I'm genuinely curious as to what the motivation was for this approach?
Mate, yes I do say it’s a good thing, a very good thing. But I don’t think you quite understand why.

We are talking about two separate things working together, on the one side is the Australian Government (via ANI Pty Ltd), as the builder, provider and owner of the infrastructure (probably the most modern naval shipyard infrastructure in the world).

And on the other side, for the Hunter class build, the private company BAE Systems, building those ships.

It is not a Government ‘controlled’ build process, the process of building the ships is in the hands of BAE Systems.

Do you some how believe that ‘every’ private company in the world owns every single building or site they operate on? No they don’t.

I’ve worked for numerous ‘private’ companies that ‘lease’ the site they operate on, why does it matter ‘who’ owns the site or infrastructure you are operating on?

Should BAE Systems also own the roads that lead to the shipyard? Should they own the water and electricity supplies that comes to the shipyard? Where do you draw the line?

When the Hunter class build ends the next project is the replacement DDGs, then it will start over again for a replacement for the Hunter FFGs, and on and on.

The Government plan is for ‘continuous’ naval shipbuilding.

The replacement DDGs might or might not be a BAE Systems design, it could be an Australian design, a Spanish design, Italian design, etc, etc. The one constant will be the modern Government owned shipyard infrastructure.

If BAE Systems wins the next contract, they’ll stay on site, if they don’t, they’ll pack up their desks and move out, and the next builder will move in, utilise the shipyard workers and the infrastructure provided.

I don’t see the problem.

Cheers,

swerve

Super Moderator
As a general rule, private, for-profit motivated entities are more efficient than non or not-for-profit entities. That is an unassailable fact. It's called the profit motive. Can there be exceptions? Of course, but if I had to wager on a government-run shipyard or a privately-run shipyard for maximum efficiency, I'd wager on the private one every time. I realize now, after some education by @Mikeymike, that Osborne is a bit of a hybrid, so that model may well work, but as a general rule, private beats public every time for controlling costs.
As a general rule - but that's not what you said. "When has ownership by government ever been more efficient than private ownership? " strongly suggests that private ownership is always more efficient, & that can easily be demonstrated to be false, especially when private businesses are working on government contracts (as in what's being discussed here), or in highly regulated industries. Productivity on the railways in the UK fell after the state sold them, off, for example.

Handing government work over to privately owned businesses & expecting it to be automatically better & cheaper is extremely naive. The right conditions have to be created first. Adequate oversight - but not so much that complying with it requires suppliers to pad contracts to cover oversight costs (my stepfather remembers that from when he worked on missile guidance systems for a firm which also had civil business: the extra markup on government work to keep the profit margin the same as on the civil products). Skilled contract negotiators. Technical skills retained so buyers understand what they're buying. Lots & lots of stuff!

Get it wrong & you end up with suppliers which emphasise skill in gaming government contracts, not quality or cost control, so they're efficient at extracting the maximum amount of money from taxpayers.

swerve

Super Moderator
Not really, due to their lack of good due diligence Air NZ were the ones that got screwed in the purchase of what was already a dog that was so close to death that it stunk to high heaven. Ansett was costing Air NZ about a million a day after the take over and would have destroyed both airlines had not Air NZ not put Ansett into liquidation and then been bought out by the NZ government of the day. Basically the Australian owner ( from memory it was News Corp) had asset stripped Ansett and used them as a debt sinkhole, saw Air NZ come along with blinkers on and stars in their eyes and took full advantage of them .
Ferranti was broken by a deal a bit like that. Bought a US defence company which looked good on paper - until its assets disappeared & cash flow dried up as soon as Ferranti became the owner.

wowu5

Ultra contracted for the VDS of the CSC, which in other words meant that Ultra's towed sonar solution will replace the Thales Type 2087/CAPTAS 4 of the UK/AUS Type 26 frigate?

Calculus

Mate, yes I do say it’s a good thing, a very good thing.
A "very good thing." That's a bit hyperbolic isn't it? I don't see it as good or bad. It's at best neutral. I am curious, however, how exactly this arrangement benefits the taxpayer?

Do you some how believe that ‘every’ private company in the world owns every single building or site they operate on? No they don’t.
Perhaps I'm being overly sensitive, but that is a bit condescending. I'm quite aware that not every private company owns the infrastructure in which they conduct operations. In fact, there are very good reasons to lease rather than own, depending on the business you are in, the expected duration of your business endeavour, and even the jurisdiction. But I'm quite certain that given a 20+ year build contract, BAE would have built a facility in Australia, or purchased and refurbished the facility at Osborne. Irving did that here in Canada, and that was even before getting the CSC. They did it so as to be able to bid for the CSC work, and they did it on their own dime, to the tune of $350 million. And they have already sunk an additional $75 million since to upgrade the computerized plasma cutting technology and introduce other improvements in the shipyard, as a result of lessons learned from the AOPV project. As a direct result from these additional investments, the labour hours for AOPV 3 are said to be substantially less than those for AOPV 1. I have seen estimates as much as 40% less. This represents additional profit to the corporation as they are in a fixed-price contract for the AOPV. That is the point I was trying to make about private versus public. Private will always seek ways to maximize profit. Unless there is some strategic reason for government ownership of Osborne, I don't see any advantage to either the government or the taxpayer of public ownership of this facility.

Should BAE Systems also own the roads that lead to the shipyard? Should they own the water and electricity supplies that comes to the shipyard? Where do you draw the line?
A private company will own whatever is required to own in order to efficiently conduct its business. And nothing more.

The replacement DDGs might or might not be a BAE Systems design, it could be an Australian design, a Spanish design, Italian design, etc, etc. The one constant will be the modern Government owned shipyard infrastructure.
How modern will that shipyard still be in 20 years? Will the government step up to modernize it for the next "tenant". Will the government step up to pay for improvements and modernizations during the Hunter build? A private entity, working under the terms of a fixed-price contract, will be motivated to improve machinery and processes in order to maximize profit. I don't see the same motivation for government. Why would it? Under any fixed-price contract, it would simply be enriching the builder at its expense.

I'm not trying to start a war here, and if I touched a nerve I did not do so on purpose, but I just don't see the benefit to Australia of this approach.

Calculus

Ferranti was broken by a deal a bit like that. Bought a US defence company which looked good on paper - until its assets disappeared & cash flow dried up as soon as Ferranti became the owner.
I was not familiar with Ansett, and have a passing familiarity with Ferranti as they had a substantial presence here in Canada. However, the reasons for their bankruptcies seem to me to be more a failing of the parent companies to exercise proper due diligence, and not an indictment of private ownership. From what little I have read of both, the shriveled gray hand of government was hovering in the background in both cases. So if anything, these examples further solidify for me that government involvement at best is inefficient, and at worst an utter disaster.

I think now it's time to return to RCN topics...

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
As a general rule - but that's not what you said. "When has ownership by government ever been more efficient than private ownership? " strongly suggests that private ownership is always more efficient, & that can easily be demonstrated to be false, especially when private businesses are working on government contracts (as in what's being discussed here), or in highly regulated industries. Productivity on the railways in the UK fell after the state sold them, off, for example.

Handing government work over to privately owned businesses & expecting it to be automatically better & cheaper is extremely naive. The right conditions have to be created first. Adequate oversight - but not so much that complying with it requires suppliers to pad contracts to cover oversight costs (my stepfather remembers that from when he worked on missile guidance systems for a firm which also had civil business: the extra markup on government work to keep the profit margin the same as on the civil products). Skilled contract negotiators. Technical skills retained so buyers understand what they're buying. Lots & lots of stuff!

Get it wrong & you end up with suppliers which emphasise skill in gaming government contracts, not quality or cost control, so they're efficient at extracting the maximum amount of money from taxpayers.
Just for historical context.... in Britain leading up to WW1 the naval dockyards were significantly faster in producing ships that the private yards in building large warships. This is not to suggest that the same conditions exist now but it is an interesting historical note.

And I agree. .... it is time to return to talking about the RCN

John Newman

The Bunker Group
Perhaps I'm being overly sensitive

I'm not trying to start a war here, and if I touched a nerve I did not do so on purpose, but I just don't see the benefit to Australia of this approach.
Touched a nerve? Not at all.

Well I can’t speak for yourself, but I can certainly speak for myself, I’ve got a rather thick skin, not a problem, no skin off my nose.

Anyway, this has become a rather circular discussion, an ever decreasing circle too.

Time will tell how both the Australian and Canadian approach to Naval Shipbuilding infrastructure pans out.

Last edited:

swerve

Super Moderator
I was not familiar with Ansett, and have a passing familiarity with Ferranti as they had a substantial presence here in Canada. However, the reasons for their bankruptcies seem to me to be more a failing of the parent companies to exercise proper due diligence, and not an indictment of private ownership. From what little I have read of both, the shriveled gray hand of government was hovering in the background in both cases. So if anything, these examples further solidify for me that government involvement at best is inefficient, and at worst an utter disaster.

I did not suggest that the fate of Ferranti was anything to do with public/private ownership differences, & I'm only answering this to correct this misapprehension. Though, now that you bring it into that discussion, it is a good illustration of the folly of assuming that privately owned businesses are necessarily better run than public enterprises. As I said, that's a naive assumption.

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

Air NZ was a private company at the time of the Ansett shambles as the government had sold it's shareholding some years previously and only stepped in again when bankruptcy became inevitable, buying a 83 % stake at the time which I think has now been reduced to 51% controlling interest, the airline quickly regained profitability and has been a better than average performer ever since. An other local tale would be Kiwi rail which when past to private ownership was asset stripped and slowly faded away until there was government intervention. Both private and public ownership have their failures and this shows to me that we still have a long way to go before we find the best options to achieve the best outcome as a single style of control is unlikely to cover all contingencies.

Vanquish

I just wanted to share this in regards to the CSC. Under the section "Combat Capability Packed Into Ship". I know there are all kinds of different standards for measuring displacement of ships but I was quite surprised to read McCoy a former USN Admiral suggest the Type 26 proposed for Canada could weigh in now as much as 9,400 tonnes. I know that would be max all in weight with paper clips included but I was just surprised to see how heavy the Type 26 for Canada has gotten.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group

I just wanted to share this in regards to the CSC. Under the section "Combat Capability Packed Into Ship". I know there are all kinds of different standards for measuring displacement of ships but I was quite surprised to read McCoy a former USN Admiral suggest the Type 26 proposed for Canada could weigh in now as much as 9,400 tonnes. I know that would be max all in weight with paper clips included but I was just surprised to see how heavy the Type 26 for Canada has gotten.
A similar story about Australia’s Hunter class suggested a displacement approaching 10,000 tons. Both Canada and Australia are adding different kit to their respective T26 versions due to different requirements and supply chain preferences. Thus displacement differences are to be expected. Until the CSC design changes and kit configuration are finalized along with a cost/benefit analysis of the extra weapons kit, everything is presently is speculation.