Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates

SpazSinbad

The F-35A also has an emergency tailhook too, as do the other aircraft mentioned, F-16 etc etc

The F-35A has started tailhook testing at Edwards AFB

Cheers
Yes and before that the first F-35A did dry/wet brake testing and emergency hook testing at Edwards AFB as mentioned above. As one may imagine given my background and interest in Naval Aviation which includes this shore based arrestor gear I have accumulated a lot of information about 'arresting systems' both at sea and ashore. You can look at this free material in PDF format in several places - Microsoft OneDrive is onesuch: Auto Carrier Land & Deck / Land Arrest Gear Info - Google Drive

70Mbs of arrestor gear goodness PDF up to 2015: Land Arrest Gear ONLY 09oct2014 pp127.pdf

When the PDF opens look in the top right menu to see a 'download' button - download the PDF to view it with the latest version of Adobe Reader suitable for your OS.

Just for history sake F-35A AA-1 tested the emergency hook at Edwards AFB in Feb 2010 - that info in PDF above.

Last edited:

SpazSinbad

I know (having worked on both) of two airframes that had warranty periods. Depending on the part it was 3 / 6 / 12 months and a specific hour limit (think 3 yr / 10 000km warranty for cars). On a couple of occasions there was a very short period between expiry and U/S that meant late hours to pull the part off and package it up. I even know of at least one part that was replaced 'under warranty' despite being years out.
It would be helpful if you name the aircraft and the air arm that operates them.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
It would be helpful if you name the aircraft and the air arm that operates them.
Dont know about the specifics on aircraft warranties as I haven't worked with any aircraft that new but I do know there is on naval ships, major and minor and was even involved in discussions on whether opening FMS equipment for inspection and where required, in store maintenance, would kick off the warranty period or whether it would start upon installation.

When I was young and stupid I had the pleasure of a flight in a, then very new Blackhawk, and we were told that the doors had to be closed in flight as a condition of the still active warranty.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
'Volkodav' to me that comment "close the doors" sounds like an order disguised as a joke for youse civvies. No? :)
Nah, sadly no, I was a choco back then so not quite a civie and it was a genuine thing they apologised for as the Hueys usually flew the same with the troop compartment doors open.

ozrock62

Have a question for the Group. Been keeping an eye on Red Flag 18-01. After the Growler incident, did the remainder fly during the exercise? I saw photos and videos of the P-3 and Wedgetail flying but none of the Growlers. Were they grounded for the remainder of the exercise?

hauritz

Have a question for the Group. Been keeping an eye on Red Flag 18-01. After the Growler incident, did the remainder fly during the exercise? I saw photos and videos of the P-3 and Wedgetail flying but none of the Growlers. Were they grounded for the remainder of the exercise?
RAAF fighters make spectacular return to sky after Growler fire

There is also a confirmation that it was engine failure that caused the problem.

No mention as to the eventual fate of that aircraft. I don't know if there ever will be an announcement of what will be done with it. I suspect it might be just locked in a hanger along with the MH-60R that was banged up a few months ago and just forgotten about.

SpazSinbad

I'm glad "the US Air Force decided to share the Growler with us" for fsake. Thank goodness we wuz spared 'punching above our weight' for once.

Last edited:

t68

There is also a confirmation that it was engine failure that caused the problem.

No mention as to the eventual fate of that aircraft. I don't know if there ever will be an announcement of what will be done with it. I suspect it might be just locked in a hanger along with the MH-60R that was banged up a few months ago and just forgotten about.
got a chuckle at the end when they said only "Only the RAAF and Britain’s RAAF were invited to take part in this exercise." a typo but put a smile on my dial

SpazSinbad

RAAF Super Hornets & Growlers also have' bugalugs' :) issues - I mean OBOGS - whilst they are keenly interested in ongoing USN efforts to solve these hypoxic-making issues. US Navy Hornet oxygen issues persist – RAAF managing risk Andrew McLaughlin
"...“Australian F/A-18F Super Hornet and EA-18G Growler aircrew have experienced events known as physiological episodes. The Royal Australian Air Force continues to exercise a risk management plan for both the Super Hornets and Growlers.

“In line with this risk management plan, Defence has established a program to reduce the occurrence and severity of physiological episodes, which includes:

in-aircraft incorporation of a breathing air purification system
increase of emergency oxygen supply to assist in aircrew recovery should an issue arise.

“Defence has supported US Navy reviews into physiological episode management and investigation with a NASA independent review team hosted at RAAF Base Amberley in May 2017. “Defence also has an engineer embedded full time in the US Root Cause and Corrective Action Integrated Project team.”
US Navy Hornet oxygen issues persist – RAAF managing risk 19 Feb 2018

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

I suspect that wil not be the case. If it is a write off it will be reduced to spares. If not it will be repaired. The assessment may take some time. The question is will they replace the aircraft if it is a write off

hauritz

I suspect that wil not be the case. If it is a write off it will be reduced to spares. If not it will be repaired. The assessment may take some time. The question is will they replace the aircraft if it is a write off
They do have 12 Rhinos pre-wired as Growlers. I wonder if it would be possible to rebirth one of them as a Growler with the parts from the damaged aircraft.

south

I don’t know but there is always potential the buy allowed for attrition. In which case it’s unlikely they will change aircraft from regular Super to Growler, or get an additional aircraft.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
I would think as F-35s come on line, converting a SH to a Growler, if needed, makes more sense than purchasing a new Growler.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Except that the F-35 is a replacement for our classic Hornets,not the Supers.

oldsig
Sort of yes, and sort of no. The current plan is to replace the Classics with F-35 and then make a decision in the late 2020's IIRC about what the replace the Super Hornets with, additional F-35's being an option.

Given that the degree of overlap between what an F-35 can do, and what Classic and Super Hornets can do then IMO it would make sense to convert a pre-wired Super Hornet into a Growler. From my POV it is more likely that the RAAF will keep Growlers in service once the F-35 orders have been placed & filled than retaining Super Hornets to provide a multi-role/strike capability.

t68

Sort of yes, and sort of no. The current plan is to replace the Classics with F-35 and then make a decision in the late 2020's IIRC about what the replace the Super Hornets with, additional F-35's being an option.

Given that the degree of overlap between what an F-35 can do, and what Classic and Super Hornets can do then IMO it would make sense to convert a pre-wired Super Hornet into a Growler. From my POV it is more likely that the RAAF will keep Growlers in service once the F-35 orders have been placed & filled than retaining Super Hornets to provide a multi-role/strike capability.
Agree, depending on EW capabilities compare between F35 and EA-18G once the 72 F35A are here they may convert remaining F's to G's