Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates

hairyman

we only have eleven Growlers now. That one looks a write-off.
That being the case we should get another F-18'F from the US and turn one of the 12 fitted F-18/F's into a Growler.
Personally I would try for five and build our Growler fleet to 16.

John Newman

The Bunker Group
we only have eleven Growlers now. That one looks a write-off.
That being the case we should get another F-18'F from the US and turn one of the 12 fitted F-18/F's into a Growler.
Personally I would try for five and build our Growler fleet to 16.
As long as the crew are all ok, that's the main thing.

From the photo above, the airframe appears to be intact, but certainly blackened by the fire.

As to a possible replacement, it's way too early to speculate, repairable? Maybe not, or if possible, probably take a long time too.

If the Government wants to ensure a full compliment of 12 airframes, probably easier to seek a similar aged Growler airframe from the USN as an attrition replacement or seek a new build from Boeing.

As to the incident itself, I would assume that the RAAF's remaining Growlers may not continue to participate in the Red Flag exercise until a cause is known, better to ground them and be safe than sorry.

Last edited:

t68

As long as the crew are all ok, that's the main thing.

From the photo above, the airframe appears to be intact, but certainly blackened by the fire.

As to a possible replacement, it's way too early to speculate, repairable? Maybe not, or if possible, probably take a long time too.

If the Government wants to ensure a full compliment of 12 airframes, probably easier to seek a similar aged Growler airframe from the USN as an attrition replacement or seek a new build from Boeing.

As to the incident itself, I would assume that the RAAF's remaining Growlers may not continue to participate in the Red Flag exercise until a cause is known, better to ground them and be safe than sorry.
Crickey glad to see that no one was hurt, agree on grounding but I imagine that will also effect the F fleet here in AU as well until a finding takes place

John Newman

The Bunker Group
Crickey glad to see that no one was hurt, agree on grounding but I imagine that will also effect the F fleet here in AU as well until a finding takes place
Depending on what investigators initially find as the cause (or don't find), it may not just be the RAAF's Supers and Growlers that face a potential temporary grounding, it could also be the USN's Super and Growler fleet too.

I'm sure the USN will be paying very close attention to this incident as well as the RAAF.

hauritz

I am hoping it might be burning brakes or maybe a contained engine fire ... but that does seem like a lot of smoke.

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I am hoping it might be burning brakes or maybe a contained engine fire ... but that does seem like a lot of smoke.
Unfortunately any significant heating of an aluminium airframe usually means that it is a right off, as it does not take very high temperatures to affect the heat treatment in high strength aluminium alloys and destroy the overall strength of the aircraft. There may be no direct fire damage or indications of fire damage for this to happen.

Milne Bay

The aircraft experienced its incident on take-off, presumably with plenty of fuel on board.
What is surprising is that the fire was restricted from consuming the whole aircraft.
MB

SpazSinbad

Fire Crews are renowned mostly for getting on scene quickly to douse those flames. BZ fire crews. They appear out of nowhere. Honest. After landing on empty A4G drop tanks, short field arresting at NAS Nowra at night (wheels broken - a long story), a great whoosh of very bright flame could be seen in my mirrors and generally around the aircraft in the dark gloom. Stepping out of the cockpit (no ladder required) I was hotfooting (waddling quickly really with all the personal safety equipment carried) it across and down the runway to get away from what I thought was a beginning conflagration (I did not bother to look back & 'turn into a pillar of salt'). :) A fireman caught up to me & said something funny & I stopped - exhausted. :) The residual fuel fumes in the drop tanks had ignited during the runway scrape arrest. I also like drop tanks. :) One year on the A4G was back flying (slightly bent-rampstrike).

Last edited:

hauritz

The aircraft experienced its incident on take-off, presumably with plenty of fuel on board.
What is surprising is that the fire was restricted from consuming the whole aircraft.
MB
That is why I remain optimistic that it wasn't a complete write off. Had the fuel tank exploded there would be nothing left.

SpazSinbad

I'm no repair expert however - to me - this looks like expensive repair especially for toasted need to be replace avionics. Good airframe back home for learning how to repair damaged airframes I guess: https://i.imgur.com/lhKnsdN.png We'll find out in due course with some detail I hope about what went wrong etc.

John Newman

The Bunker Group
I'm no repair expert however - to me - this looks like expensive repair especially for toasted need to be replace avionics. Good airframe back home for learning how to repair damaged airframes I guess: https://i.imgur.com/lhKnsdN.png We'll find out in due course with some detail I hope about what went wrong etc.

Spaz,

Agree, from the other side she didn't look so bad, from the right hand side, she looks like a 'crispy critter'. (This same photo has now appeared on the Australian Aviation website too):

New images shows extent of fire damage to RAAF Growler | Australian Aviation

Must have been some serious heat levels to 'melt' the rear end, and that's just externally too, I would imagine inside the airframe, its far worse.

Time to have a chat with our friends in the USN and see if they will part with an attrition Growler airframe of similar build time, or put an order in with Boeing for a new replacement (and hopefully they can salvage enough undamaged systems to go into the spares pool too).

t68

Spaz,

Agree, from the other side she didn't look so bad, from the right hand side, she looks like a 'crispy critter'. (This same photo has now appeared on the Australian Aviation website too):

New images shows extent of fire damage to RAAF Growler | Australian Aviation

Must have been some serious heat levels to 'melt' the rear end, and that's just externally too, I would imagine inside the airframe, its far worse.

Time to have a chat with our friends in the USN and see if they will part with an attrition Growler airframe of similar build time, or put an order in with Boeing for a new replacement (and hopefully they can salvage enough undamaged systems to go into the spares pool too).
I don't see them opening the check book for a new build replacement, once we have 12x F35A my guess is they will start to pull thru some of the pre-wired jets thru 4/6

hauritz

I don't see them opening the check book for a new build replacement, once we have 12x F35A my guess is they will start to pull thru some of the pre-wired jets thru 4/6
We do still have a dozen SuperHornets that have been wired to accept a Growler upgrade. It wouldn't surprise me if a few of them were eventually upgraded to EA - 18G configuration.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
We do still have a dozen SuperHornets that have been wired to accept a Growler upgrade. It wouldn't surprise me if a few of them were eventually upgraded to EA - 18G configuration.
This would seem to be a better solution, especially since F-35s are starting to arrive.

vonnoobie

It all depends on what went wrong, Fault could lay anywhere between the RAAF and Boeing. If RAAF I do see it being hard to get another Growler without the USN assisting however if Boeings fault then should be covered under warranty in which case they likely to just give us a new bird and part this one out. Wouldnt want to fix this one with out a serious going over, Might be cheaper actually salvaging what they can off this bird, Fitting them to one of the wired super hornets and ordering a new SH.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Assuming no warranty offset, wouldn't converting a prewired SH into a Growler and not replacing the SH make more sense. Why bother replacing it as it will probably cost almost as much as extra F-35 being ordered?