Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates

weegee

I found this on Reuters today:

https://af.reuters.com/article/commoditiesNews/idAFL1N1OC150

They are stating that the deal for the used planes is worth C$500Mil

In anycase its not a bad little top up to the government coffers!
Better this than what we did to the F111's. I don't know what everyone else thinks but i always think its a bit sad to just dig a hole and bury the planes like we did. Same with scrapping a ship its always a bit sad seeing something that was maintained with love and care for so long then being ripped and cut apart on some beach somewhere.

Clueless

"The offer follows an expression of interest from the Canadian Government received in September. The sale of the aircraft and associated spares remains subject to final negotiations and Country of Origin export approvals"

And that part right there is the issue I raised last week, so don't count the chickens yet, there is a lot of domestic political pressure in the US on this one, wait and see ?

Cheers
Sorry, I had included the disclaimer in the RCAF post I made but forgot to include it here.

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I found this on Reuters today:

https://af.reuters.com/article/commoditiesNews/idAFL1N1OC150

They are stating that the deal for the used planes is worth C$500Mil

In anycase its not a bad little top up to the government coffers!
Better this than what we did to the F111's. I don't know what everyone else thinks but i always think its a bit sad to just dig a hole and bury the planes like we did. Same with scrapping a ship its always a bit sad seeing something that was maintained with love and care for so long then being ripped and cut apart on some beach somewhere.

Disposal of the F111 was always going to be tricky given these were originally designed to deliver nuclear weapons and there were no states that wanted them or that we could send them to under the ITAR requirements. Hence the hole.

hairyman

Re the RAAF handing over 18 of our original F18-C's to Canada, can we afford to do this? Or is it going to occur after we have received sufficient F35's to form a squadron'. which will probably be a few years away yet.
I see they initially want two.

Joe Black

I do hope that Australian govt will gift New Zealand the same number of F-18s to help them re-establish their fast jet capabilities.

Some of them could also be sold to Draken International (i suppose). :)

Last edited:

vonnoobie

Re the RAAF handing over 18 of our original F18-C's to Canada, can we afford to do this? Or is it going to occur after we have received sufficient F35's to form a squadron'. which will probably be a few years away yet.
What they want initially and what we are willing to part with initially I think you will find are two very different things. Canada would likely have wanted them all in one go, Australia however is timing the release of them with the introduction of the F-35 ensuring there is no reduction in active airframes for the RAAF.

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I do hope that Australia govt will gift New Zealand the same number of F-18s to help them re-establish their fast jet capabilities.

I'd imagine they'd be happy to sell them on the same basis as to Canada, whose "gift" will be costing them $500M if reports are accurate (for aircraft, spares and support equipment)

oldsig

hauritz

Australia will probably have enough F-35s by 2019 to at least form a squadron ... IOC is another matter.

Given that there is nearly always a shortage of trained fighter pilots there probably wouldn't be enough pilots to fly the F-18A anyhow.

t68

I'd imagine they'd be happy to sell them on the same basis as to Canada, whose "gift" will be costing them $500M if reports are accurate (for aircraft, spares and support equipment)

oldsig
Well I for one don't mind if wee gift the aircraft to NZ, after all its not like we don't gift equipment to others.

A gift to NZ will strategically help in our immediate sphere of influence being close partners with our Kiwi mates, if gifting them gets them over the line I'm all for it. Canada on the other hand are just playing silly buggers its not re-establishing a capability its kicking the can down the road.

vonnoobie

Just to play the realist (Odd considering the fantasy land I lived in when I first joined) gifting them to NZ would never happen. There are a few points that would make it a pointless gift such as said aircraft being so old they are only of use to nations already using them, the cost of NZ operating them would probably be better spent elsewhere or said cost would come at the reduction or straight out destruction of capabilities else where, Even if NZ could afford them, said aircraft could be useful for more then a few years and it didnt come at the cost of anything else withing the NZ military what use would they serve to a nation further away from any threat then Australia. Selling, Gifting or parting out to Canada, Malaysia, America, Finland, Switzerland and Spain would be the actual practical approach with the first 3 nations being the main ones within our interests.

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
A fleet of F18 F,s would be nice to see with Kiwi roundels on em.
Or say 12F,s and 6G,s, but I think I am dreaming, as the cost would restrict other areas of need for the NDF.
Realistically, I think I would rather see P8,s or P1,s in good numbers, A400,s or or C2,s and a fleet of 4 frigates and Bay class or similar, and at least 4 more NH90,s.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
I do hope that Australian govt will gift New Zealand the same number of F-18s to help them re-establish their fast jet capabilities.

Key questions would be, just how many of the RAAF Hornets have potential for continued flight service, and at what cost?

The RAAF at present has 71 A/B models currently still in inventory, and operates these aircraft via a pool. What that means is that not all 71 aircraft are necessarily currently available for service. A number of them could currently be 'down' for prolonged maintenance and inspection.

With the RCAF possibly in a position to receive 18 ex-RAAF Hornets, the ones the RCAF gets would likely be either the aircraft in the best shape, or most suitable for use as a source of parts.

At present, it looks like the Hornet will be out of RAAF service by 2023 but the question would remain on just how many would be flyable at that point, and at what cost or what sort of effort would be required to keep them in flying condition. The US has managed a programme to extend the airframe life to 8k fly-hours and possibly as much as 10k. However, the US has a large Hornet inventory which it can go over to determine just how many airframes are potentially suitable for such an extension.

Hornets (as opposed to Super Hornets) in Kiwi service is something which could easily become a white elephant. An expensive undertaking to keep up and maintain, yet not something able to be utilized due to limitations imposed by operating concerns.

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Sorry, I had included the disclaimer in the RCAF post I made but forgot to include it here.
All good, did actually see it after I had posted here, was just a general comment that this still needs to go through a few hoops yet, and was not intended to be directed at you :)

Cheers

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
A fleet of F18 F,s would be nice to see with Kiwi roundels on em.
Or say 12F,s and 6G,s, but I think I am dreaming, as the cost would restrict other areas of need for the NDF.
Realistically, I think I would rather see P8,s or P1,s in good numbers, A400,s or or C2,s and a fleet of 4 frigates and Bay class or similar, and at least 4 more NH90,s.
The RAAF F-18F and F-18G are going nowhere until the vicinity of 2030. The 72 F-35 are slated to replace the classic Hornets and the 28 "options" on F-35 have been pushed out until we see what comes next - in other words, will the USA have a new strike aircraft more suitable, or cheaper or perhaps unmanned by that time, to replace the strike wing.

Until then, at least the G models and the F+ will probably have a home right here

oldsig

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I never suggested that NZ have our F18F/G,s ,, just that I would like to see them operate them, rather than 30 yo legacy hornets, just for the same of having something.
By NZ having F/G,s they have commonality with the RAAF, and very useful platforms for a long time, and platforms that are more than useful for a coalition contribution, particularly the G,s.

Stampede

A well done on the professional work by the RAAF in Iraq.
With the last mission flown in Iraq I wonder about a similar mission conducted closer to home.
One of the features of the operation was distance to target and sustainment over the area of operation
Our tanker MRTT fleet performed very well but it begs the question as to how we would conduct a similar task closer to home.
Would we replicate the tanking of Hornets over our maritime environment from our northern air fields or would we seek other option.
Could our maritime patrol craft be used as long distance bomb trucks assuming a permissive air environment.

Would the navy have a place with deployable land attack missiles or do we use the tigers or there replacement for land attack keeping a presence up close with a quick response time......

Any suggestion as to other options as this may be a realistic situation and challenge in the years ahead.

Regards S

hauritz

A well done on the professional work by the RAAF in Iraq.
With the last mission flown in Iraq I wonder about a similar mission conducted closer to home.
One of the features of the operation was distance to target and sustainment over the area of operation
Our tanker MRTT fleet performed very well but it begs the question as to how we would conduct a similar task closer to home.
Would we replicate the tanking of Hornets over our maritime environment from our northern air fields or would we seek other option.
Could our maritime patrol craft be used as long distance bomb trucks assuming a permissive air environment.

Would the navy have a place with deployable land attack missiles or do we use the tigers or there replacement for land attack keeping a presence up close with a quick response time......

Any suggestion as to other options as this may be a realistic situation and challenge in the years ahead.

Regards S
I actually read an article about the possibility of using the P8A as a bomber.

Bomber Close Air Support for the Australian Defence Force? The Case for a Land Strike Capability for the P-8 Poseidon - SGT G.

It would be a very expensive asset to risk on a bombing mission even if it was retrofitted with the necessary equipment but in theory, it would be possible.