Republic of Singapore Air Force Discussions

Jezza

Come June 2008, the RSAF will replace its current batch of Marchetti S-211s with a brand new trainer aircraft - the Pilatus PC-21. The S-211 has been the RSAF's basic trainer for a good 22 years.

The RSAF awarded a service contract to Lockheed Martin Simulation, Training and Support (LMSTS) on 3 Nov to support the Basic Wings Course.

The course aims to provide pilots with the knowledge and skills of basic flying before they progress to advanced aircraft training.

LMSTS will supply and maintain a fleet of Pilatus PC-21 aircraft and a suite of ground-based training systems to 130 Squadron (130 SQN) in Pearce, Australia.

Pilatus Aircraft Ltd will supply 19 of its latest PC-21 advanced turboprop trainers, while Hawker Pacific Ltd will provide aircraft maintenance services.

Explaining the RSAF's decision to replace the Marchetti S-211 basic trainer, LTC Philip Chionh, Head Flying Training Branch, Air Training Department, said: "The S-211 is already more than 22 years old, and as a result its maintenance costs have been rising steadily.

"The RSAF has embarked on a flying training transformation to replace our ageing trainers with a more cost-effective and efficient training solution."

Real value

What is it about the PC-21 aircraft that makes it a better choice than other turboprop trainers in the market?

It was developed as a completely new training system both in terms of capability and life-cycle cost.

With its superior aerodynamic performance and a more powerful and cost-effective integrated training system, the PC-21 allows trainees to take in a larger proportion of the flying training syllabus.

The trainer plane will also incorporate avionics that allow the simulation of specific frontline missions. Pilot trainees can then develop the necessary capacity and skills with the complex systems operations and realistic tactical scenarios.

These advantages will mean substantial savings for every flying hour that the PC-21 replaces from a jet syllabus.

Expensive jet hours can now be reduced while the trainees become more proficient pilots with the focus on frontline skills. Flight safety during the realistic training scenarios will also be enhanced.

The PC-21 has been well-received by many of its customers. One of them even commented that the PC-21 is “not an off-the-shelf aircraft with an off-the-shelf avionics upgrade”.

Modern cockpit, effective training

The new basic trainer has a full glass cockpit which is fitted with three active-matrix liquid crystal displays (AMLCD). The three multi-function displays comprise a Primary Flight Display (PFD), which provides information like speed, altitude, and navigation information, and two Multi-Function Displays (MFD).

The MFDs have a large variety of page formats, including master systems pages, moving map and tactical displays.

The fully digital glass-cockpit environment of the PC-21, which mimics modern jet fighters, is capable of interacting with any frontline type and this allows trainee pilots to acquire mission management skills relevant to the frontline aircraft type and role they are selected for.

Perfect airborne classroom

Pilot trainees will also benefit from the Embedded Simulation and Training suite that comes with the PC-21 aircraft.

The aircraft software load can be modified according to the requirements of the student’s phase of training. The suite not only provides cross-platform cockpit emulation and weapon simulation, but also allows trainees to get a feel of how radar and electronic warfare is conducted and fought.

With the decoupling of the cockpit, the instructors can manipulate what can be seen on the display screen of the trainees and increase training effectiveness for each individual student.

Instructors can create simulated non-flight safety critical system failures or even data degradation. Similarly, they can also generate synthetic air-to-air radar target and electronic warfare.

Said LTC Chionh: "The new aircraft will allow us to better train our pilots to meet the demands of the increasingly sophisticated frontline aircraft, like the F-15, AH-64 and S70B, that are coming in to the RSAF inventory."

With such advanced technologies in-built, the PC-21 aircraft is certainly a cut above the rest, and subsequent batches of pilot trainees can only get more proficient and professional.

Jet real - Pilatus PC-21
(Source: Singapore Ministry of Defence; issued Jan. 11, 2007)

Absolutely an awesome aircraft
http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/pc_21/

A

Aussie Digger

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
There's some chance Australia will replace her PC-9's with this aircraft in coming years too. I wonder if RAAF and RSAF can work together on this at all and save a bit of coin?

Probably not I suspect...

chrisrobsoar

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
There's some chance Australia will replace her PC-9's with this aircraft in coming years too. I wonder if RAAF and RSAF can work together on this at all and save a bit of coin?

I’m not sure if regional cooperation is practical, but the PC-21 is the benchmark for the rest of the field to follow.

I’m pretty sure that this is the aircraft on which future UK military pilots will be trained.

As a cheap COIN platform it has merit, but I’m not sure that Oz needs this capability. However, if you are trying to train combat pilots, there is no harm in starting too soon, especially if the price is right. (I have dropped practice bombs from a Chipmunk).

Having training aircraft with a minimum level of combat capability (using instructor pilots) has benefits, reminding these pilots that they still are (or could be) in the front line and also a chance for graduating pilots to have a little fun.

Chris

Lawman

It would be nice to see the RAF getting PC-21s, and deploying them in Australia, perhaps in a three party joint training scheme, with Australia and Singapore. Training in Australia would be popular with RAF pilots, and would benefit from the good weather, rather than training in the increasingly congested UK airspace.

Jezza

Hopefully as they will be based at Pearce airbase.
The PC-21 is the benchmark for the rest of the field to follow,
usually the RAAF would want the best you would hope!!!!!!
It would fit in perfectly into the Hawk-Hornet/F111 training sceme.
Maybe even less hours on the Hawks??
We will have to wait and see.

Tasman

Ship Watcher
Verified Defense Pro

What sort of time frame are we looking at AD?

I can't find any reference to a PC9 replacement in DOD publications but I may have missed it.

Certainly the PC21 looks to be an excellent aircraft and a logical PC9 replacement for the RAAF.

Cheers

Magoo

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
What sort of time frame are we looking at AD?

I can't find any reference to a PC9 replacement in DOD publications but I may have missed it.

Certainly the PC21 looks to be an excellent aircraft and a logical PC9 replacement for the RAAF.

Cheers

Some light reading is attached for those interested as it appeared in Australian Aviation's jan 07 issue.

The BIG news out of the Singapore deal was not so much the PC21 selection, but the fact that the training of the pilots will be managed under contract by LockMart.

Cheers

Magoo

Tasman

Ship Watcher
Verified Defense Pro
Some light reading is attached for those interested as it appeared in Australian Aviation's jan 07 issue.

The BIG news out of the Singapore deal was not so much the PC21 selection, but the fact that the training of the pilots will be managed under contract by LockMart.

Cheers

Magoo
Thanks Magoo. Interesting reading. From the article it seems that the RAAF is not adverse to a similar approach. How likely do you think it is that they would contract out the pilot training at Pearce? I guess this would be a logical follow on to the CT4 contract with BAE Flying College for basic pilot training, if the airforce is happy with that program.

Cheers

Last edited:

Magoo

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Thanks Magoo. Interesting reading. From the article it seems that the RAAF is not adverse to a similar approach. How likely do you think it is that they would contract out the pilot training at Pearce? I guess this would be a logical follow on to the CT4 contract with BAE Flying College for basic pilot training, if the airforce is happy with that program.

Cheers
Hey Tas

It's not the actual pilot training that is contracted out by Singapore - that's still done by RSAF pilots. It's the aircraft, flight line ops, maintenance, course-ware, sims and CBTs, student accommodation and other training facilities etc that is contracted out, so the RSAF only needs to worry about getting trainees and trainers together.

As for the RAAF - I suspect they will be quite open to the idea. The PC-9's maintenance is already subbed out, as are many of the non-core business functions at Pearce. The syllabus is already in place and would only need massaging for the PC-21 unless they decide on a new direction.
Plus, there would be large economies of scale to he had if we were to combine ours and the RSAF's training ops, especially as the PC-21 is already looked upon favourably.

Cheers

Magoo

Iceman255

Singaporean F-15S?

Anyone know wht happened on the decision on the F-15S for the RSAF - since november i havent heard anything about the development, cost or how many F-15S's the RSAF will buy? I know the Singaporeans are secretive but what happened?

Magoo

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Anyone know wht happened on the decision on the F-15S for the RSAF - since november i havent heard anything about the development, cost or how many F-15S's the RSAF will buy? I know the Singaporeans are secretive but what happened?
They've ordered 12 F-15SGs and are holding options for eight more. First delivery is planned for mid 08.

The aircraft will likely be based at Mountain Home AFB in Idaho in the US due to airpace restrictions in Singapore.

Cheers

Magoo

akinkhoo

the korean get theirs 1st than singapore will get theirs since there is only 1 production line. :p: the main reason singapore choose F15 is to get ammo and missiles which could possibly be usable with the F16 too?

it is rumour to be based at the newly reclaimed east changi once the squadon finish learning the rope in the US (like the apaches did last year, it is not just airspace, singapore can always use the south china seas, but the experience gain from existing pilot and mature training program is very :vamp ). they sure got alot of runway in changi now, i wonder how the traffic controller feel about going to work. :shudder

Red

Design will be more of a -E version than -K version
I dont understand what you mean when you mentioned design. Is there supposed to be a difference in design of the frame? At any rate, the main distinguishing difference is the AESA radar which is not available on the K version. However, i have no doubt the Koreans will be getting those in the near future. Otherwise both the K and SG version are alike design-wise and to a large degree; capability as well. They are the most advanced versions of the F15 series.

The initial purchase is for 12 frames with 8 options. However, the upper limit as officially mentioned by the RSAF is 80(depending on how fast the JSF program goes). Admittedly, the RSAF will buy more in the long run in several batches like the F-16s. In the long run, the RSAF may just operate the F-35s and F-15SGs.

Red

I will be elated if we can get a few F-22s which could function as silver or magic bullets in the first few hours of any conflict. However, I think it is unrealistic at this juncture. Firstly, the costs of the F-22 are exhorbitant. However, I must add a qualifier of sorts. While costs do affect Singapore`s procurement of military goods somewhat, it is never really a good indicator of what Singapore really buys. For example, the purchase of the E-2C Hawkeyes for a cost of some USD 1 billion(i cant really remember the actual cost) more than 20 years ago is worth the whole financial year`s military budget in that time. Obviously, the monies came from elsewhere.

Secondly and regretably, the F-22 is no where needed in SEA as compared to perhaps Japan`s situation. The RSAF currently maintains twice as many aircrafts as compared to both Indonesia and Malaysia combined. I shall not even dwell on modern and serviceable frames. And this is even after we decommisioned into cold storage the odd 60 Super-skyhawks. The advent of the F-15s would serve to maintain RSAF`s quantitative and qualitative edge. A reasonable number of F-15s I expect Singapore to operate would be at least 40 frames. In addition, Singapore`s next jet will be the F-35 and the latter is expected to replace the 50 F-5Es and 70 F-16s*(62 blk 52/54 +)(the 8 F16 A/Bs were given to the thai air force in 2006)in due time in several stages.

Lastly, the purchase of F-22s will lead to a spiral of unnecessary purchases to restore the current balance of forces. While the balance has rocked every now and then, I think introducing a weapon like the F-22 is of an order of magnitude many times larger than what SEA countries are comfortable with. I would say another 10-20 years would be ideal. At any rate, I do expect the F-15s to be replaced by the F-22s sometime in the future; especially when the price of that bird has dropped significantly. Same with South Korea.

Last edited: