Republic of Singapore Air Force Discussions

knightz33

Should Singapore purchase more f-15s or the new jsf???

Mod edit: I think you should stop opening poinless threads. If you want to discuss Singaporean F-15 threads, go to one of the many that already exist. Likewise, bag the F-35 but do it in one of the threads that already exist.

First OFFICIAL warning.

AD.

SGMilitary

Rsaf F-15sg

They've ordered 12 F-15SGs and are holding options for eight more. First delivery is planned for mid 08.

The aircraft will likely be based at Mountain Home AFB in Idaho in the US due to airpace restrictions in Singapore.

Cheers

Magoo
I'm not surprised if RSAF has 32 F-15SG.

It was reported that RSAF will eventually procured 80 F-15SG and 10 more

F-16D Block 52+ to add on to it's current inventory of 62 F-16 C/D Block

52/52+.

Tebuan

The numbers of F16 C/CJ, D/DJ Block 50/52 procured during the period 1994-1995 is listed in SIPRI data base is 62 as well. This does not take into account of deliveries of earlier F 16 A/B which were later upgraded nett the the Thai transfers. So the numbers of F16s in service should be upwards of 70-80 airframes.
Also think RSAF is not likely to buy very large numbers (beyond 2 squadrons??) of F-15s as the cost will be very high. They are likely to continue watching developments on the JSF and acquire them later in next decade as some older F-16s have to be replaced. They are already minor partners in the program.
Anyone knows if the F-15SGs are closer to F-15I or F-15Ks?

SGMilitary

F-15sg

Thanks for the link page.

It was stated in SIPRI arms transfer data base that Singapore received 2

S70B helicopter in 2002.

I wonder if it is already been operated by RSN if not where is this chopper?

With so much delay about JSF, I think the RSAF will procured more F-15SG.

Anyone knows of other modernisation plans?

What about the anti-ballistic missile programme?

Ozzy Blizzard

I appoligise in advance for what may be a stupid question but....

Why does the RSAF operate 4 squadrons of frontline fighters when you dont have the basing or airspace to actually house or use them in Singapore????? Wouldn't that make them kind of useless in a conflict???? Why not spend that money on an IADS or shore based SSM batteries that you can man and keep in singapore itself?????

Tasman

Ship Watcher
Verified Defense Pro
Technically, the Singapore air force has 7 squadrons of frontline fighters. Currently 3 are equipped with the F16. 3 more with the F5S/T. The last is converting to the F15.

In addition to the 7, there are 2 more squadrons based in the US (Luke and Cannon AFB) which operates another ~24 F16s (which may explain the discrepancy bet 62 and 94. There is a further training squadron in Cazaux, France.

In terms of basing, that's not a problem (due to the British investment in WW2). Airstrips exist at several locations including Tengah, Seletar, Paya Lebar and Changi. In fact, in the 70s and 80s, it used to temporarily house the RAAF Mirages as well. I believe existing bases can support further numbers if required. The USAF achieved greater concentration in Saudi Arabia during desert storm.

Airspace is tight but the numbers allow concentration in times of conflict.

IADS does appear to receive significant investment and regular exercises under the FPDA tests its effectiveness. The Singapore Air Force used to operate bloodhound SAMs (with 70km range). This was replaced by a battalion of I-hawk SAMs (which recently got upgraded with multiple engagement capabilities). Other SAMs used include Rapiers (which were also upgraded), Russian Iglas, Swedish RBS-70s and French Mistrals. That's a lot of SAM concentration for an island 40kms wide and 26 kms deep. There were reports that the military was looking into longer ranged sams as well (eg Patriots or SA-10s). This is also supplemented by the Fleet's Aster and Barak SAMs.

The navy has significant investments in maritime defence with FFGs and FACs that are equipped with Gabriel and long ranged Harpoon SSM. Hence, shore based SSMs do not appear to be needed. The fleet is also supplemented by Apaches with hellfires to deal with pesky small craft and harpoon-equipped Fokker F50s to deal with larger vessels. Since shore line is >40km wide, any craft equipped with harpoons will already be able to cover the entire coastline thus making shore based SSMs irrelevant. Worst case scenario, there's always shore based artillery.

Hope this answers the question....
This is a very powerful force for a small island and it includes a lot of modern equipment. I guess the problem with basing all the squadrons at home in peacetime is not so much the base problem but the airspace problem for training. In times of conflict civilian air traffic could be reduced, or even stopped, if necessary.

Cheers

Red

Why does the RSAF operate 4 squadrons of frontline fighters when you dont have the basing or airspace to actually house or use them in Singapore????? Wouldn't that make them kind of useless in a conflict???? Why not spend that money on an IADS or shore based SSM batteries that you can man and keep in singapore itself?????
Errr..we are not that small an island with about 5 million in population. Hmm, half of Singapore is still jungle. The government now wants to hit 6.5-7 million in Singaporean population size. Plenty of air-bases around to store more planes than we currently have. In fact, there are plenty of US aircraft here as well though officially the air-bases are ours where ownership is concerned.

But you`re right in saying there`s not much airspace to train. They train over the seas of the South China sea in addition to training areas in other countries.

Weasel, the F16 numbers have never been released officially. But most of us here in Singapore think that the Blk 50/52s/52+ numbers are in 60+ to 70+ range. That`s what our friends in the RSAF tell us. The techy dudes who get to work on the planes. Not too sure how many more are based in the US or whether we lease any more for training with buy options.

I think Singapore will settle for around 40-50 F-15SGs eventually. The F-5Es and F-16s will be replaced by the F35s in stages. Somehow and somewhere in the future, i guess we`ll get the F-22s to replace the F-15SG when the US is comfortable with it.

Cheers !!:)

Schumacher

700 sq kms with a 40km frontage is quite small by military standards :) Israel is like 30+ times the physical land area but I hardly think they have 30+ times the military size. Most would already consider Israel a small country...
Yeah, it's fortunate that it's separated by waters from far larger neighbours, alleviating much of the military disadvantage of being so small.

Red

Either delivery is not made yet or the planes have not been imported into the country. Either way, the RSAF will get or already has 94. Just a question of where and when....
hmmm...Well, we do have forces spread out all over the world so Id admit it is not easy to count those in. The F16 training are conducted not just in the US. I have heard that we do it in the middle east as well :) Some friends we have there :)

At any rate, what an annoying site for saying so much. :(

700 sq kms with a 40km frontage is quite small by military standards :) Israel is like 30+ times the physical land area but I hardly think they have 30+ times the military size. Most would already consider Israel a small country...
Ah well, I was talking about space for planes. That we have.

Red

By the way, what do you think of a possible procurement of C-17s by Singapore soon :) ? The Charlies are getting long in the tooth and I do not think we like the A400 very much.

Red

There was indeed a report recently about Singapore being interested in the C17. I cannot remember if it came to the point of sharing technical details. This comes at a point in time when the C17 production line is in limbo. It is already known that Boeing is looking for more C17 buyers to sustain the C17 production line. Hence, I am intrigued by the silence that has come since then. We do know that the RSAF plans her procurement properly.

The RSAF has done an excellent job of sustaining the C130s. Sometimes, I think they look brand new when I see them flying around near where Im staying. But we cannot possibly wait till they start falling from the skies could we? There were some upgrades recently but that will conceivably be the last one. I guess that is to sustain the Charlies while we get new transport planes and train our pilots to fly them.

The A400s will take too long in my opinion. So, the choice has to be either the C130Js or C17s.

The C130Js would not be so much a gaint leap from the current Charlies.
Also, im not so sure if they have much in the way of commonalities with our present Charlies. If the the RSAF is to get the C130Js, the RSAF would be better off waiting a few more years to get the A400 given that the
A400 would be slightly better in terms of carriage(?). So it may not be prudent to buy the C-130Js as opposed to the A400s. But we may not have time enough to wait for the A400s.

Conversely, the C17s are so much better in terms of load carriage when compared to both the C-130Js and A400s. The load-factor of the C17s would enable them to carry any equipment the SAF currently has; including the Bionix and the leopard 2s. Like the C130Js, they are readily available now. Add that to Boeing`s desire to sell, marketing ingenuity and strengths, I think it is likely that the C17s will be the RSAF`s latest transport plane. But what do i know :) ?

gary1910

Singapore is getting another 12 F-15SG

Singapore Exercises Option for Additional F-15SGs
Posted: 22 Oct 2007, 1400 hours (Time is GMT +8 hours)

In December 2005 the Ministry of Defence announced the purchase of an initial 12 Boeing F-15SG fighter aircraft to replace the Republic of Singapore Airforce (RSAF)'s A-4 Skyhawk fighters. The Ministry of Defence has, on 22nd October 2007, exercised the option to purchase eight more F-15SG fighters which was part of the original contract signed in December 2005. Along with this buy, an additional order for four F-15SGs was made.

This acquisition of 12 more F-15SGs is part of the RSAF's continuing effort to renew its fighter fleet. The additional F-15SGs, which will be equipped with sophisticated avionics and weapon systems, will be delivered from 2010.

http://www.mindef.gov.sg/imindef/news_and_events/nr/2007/oct/22oct07_nr.html

It is well known that we buy a/c by batches, 24 F-15SG may not be the final number.