Republic of Singapore Air Force Discussions

SGMilitary

For what I foresee, the RSAF may eventually procured up to 62 F-15SG

similar to F-16C/D block 52/52+.

RSAF operates 24 jets for each fighter squadron.

As such, the number may reach 62.

That could be the same number for JSF if the weapons suite for this aircraft

suits RSAF requirements.

According to aviation news, RSAF is procuring several SAM system in 2008.

Does anyone have any information?

Thanks and regards.

Tracer

Singapore has requested :

200 AIM-120C Advanced Medium Range Air-to-Air Missiles (AMRAAM) and 6 CATM-120C AMRAAM Captive Air Training (CAT) Missiles.

200 AIM-9X Sidewinder Missiles; and 24 AIM-9X Sidewinder Captive Air Training and Dummy Missiles.

50 MK-82 GBU-38 Joint Direct Attack Munitions (JDAM) w/BLU-111 warhead; plus 100 KMU-556 GBU-31 JDAM Tail Kit Assemblies, that can turn regular bombs into Global Positioning System guided JDAMs.

30 AGM-154A-1 Joint Standoff Weapons, and 30 AGM-154C Joint Standoff Weapons.

44 AN/AVS-9(V) Night Vision Goggles.

300,000 20mm Practice Round Cartridges.

4 MK-82 and MK-84 "dumb" bomb practice trainers

SGMilitary

RSAF capabilites

Dear All,

Anyone have any updates on the development of Republic of Singapore Airforce?

What are the latest progress on her procurement for the following?

1. Advanced jet trainers
2. Possible replacement for Fokker 50 MPA
3. Possible replacement for AS332M Super Puma
4. Possible procurement for C17 Globe Master
5. Additional procurement for S70B ASW/ASUW helicopters
6. Possible replacemnet for I.HAWK, RBS70, RAPIER 2000
7. Additional procurement for SHORADS
8. What is the actual status of G550?4 aircraft or 6....conflicting reports online
9. Will RSAF procure more F-15SG?

How capable is RSAF combat capabilities in South East Asia and Asia Pacific?

Thanks & regards.

Mod edit:

I've just merged a heap of Singapore Air Force threads. Most of the answers you seek are contained within these existing threads...

See how easy it is people? The answers are generally already here...

Regards

AD

Last edited by a moderator:

F-15 Eagle

I'm surprised that singapore is going for the F-15 and not the F-35. The F-35 carries a slightly bigger weapons payload than the F-15, and has stealth. Stealth is a important factor in the 21st century, plus I don't know how good a F-15 will do against a Su-30 or Su-35. The F-35 seams to me like a better option to deal with those threats than a F-15.

DefConGuru

I'm surprised that singapore is going for the F-15 and not the F-35. The F-35 carries a slightly bigger weapons payload than the F-15, and has stealth. Stealth is a important factor in the 21st century, plus I don't know how good a F-15 will do against a Su-30 or Su-35. The F-35 seams to me like a better option to deal with those threats than a F-15.
Do you see any F-35's flying around yet? Still a long way to go till production, I assume Singapore needed the best quick fix available, and an F-15 with AESA is a capable craft no doubt. F-35 is still possible in the distant future.

F-15 Eagle

Do you see any F-35's flying around yet? Still a long way to go till production, I assume Singapore needed the best quick fix available, and an F-15 with AESA is a capable craft no doubt. F-35 is still possible in the distant future.
Well then maybe the F-15 can be a stop gap aircraft until the F-35 goes into full production. Well I already know the F-15 is a good jet, but when the USAF and India held a military excersie together it was shown that the F-15 was slightly inferior to the more modern Su-30 and SU-35. The F-35 seams to be the answer to this problem. The F-35 is much more capable than the F-15 in air to air and air to ground combat as well as SEAD and recconesense missions, it is second only to the F-22.

A

Aussie Digger

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well then maybe the F-15 can be a stop gap aircraft until the F-35 goes into full production. Well I already know the F-15 is a good jet, but when the USAF and India held a military excersie together it was shown that the F-15 was slightly inferior to the more modern Su-30 and SU-35. The F-35 seams to be the answer to this problem. The F-35 is much more capable than the F-15 in air to air and air to ground combat as well as SEAD and recconesense missions, it is second only to the F-22.
For god sakes no it wasn't. Cope India was a SCRIPTED air defence exercise where the USAF F-15's were outnumbered 4 to 1, not allowed any force multplier assets, were not allowed an AMRAAM capability and didn't even take AESA equipped fighters. On top of which, the USAF fighters were flying scripted profiles to simulate a potential enemy, they were not flying and fighting as the USAF would.

NO inference can be drawn from that exercise whatsoever about the relative merits of the SU-30 and the F-15.

ROCK45

F-15

F-15 Eagle
I agree with Aussie Digger not a true test at all and taking away the AMRAAM capability. Imagine a good boxer with a long reach and solid punch then put him in the ring and tell him fight but you can't throw long punches. In basic terms it's kind of like that and the Su-30 K/MKI is a little newer design as well not by much but little. India's Air Force doesn't have Su-35 as you mention Russia might have a few Su-35s flying in a testing state. Full production of Su-35 hasn't begun yet I think because of lack of funding, maybe somebody knows better. Not to take anything away from the Flanker it is a very good platform and has a very powerful radar. And for a large fighter (bigger then an F-14) it's very good turner at low speeds as well.

I to would pick the newer designed F-35 over buying F-15s but the F-35 is still years away like another poster said. I still think Boeing throwing away a mid to small market by not producing a like "Block-II" Eagle. I know it's better to move forward and not backwards but there's still another 300 to 600 aircraft 4th generation fighter market out, why throw it away. Some countries can't buy F-35s, some can't afford them? etc. I know stealth is better but why throw away sales to Typhoon/Flankers for another five years?

Red

Heya F15,

The F15 isnt a stop-gap measure aircraft. It is being purchased to replace the Super-skyhawks which is a strike aircraft. However, I have no doubt it will perform both strike and interdiction roles at the same time depending on the mission requirements. When it was selected, it was deemed to be the most appropriate aircraft for the RSAF for a number of reasons; most important of all is its ability to go toe to toe with modern fighters like the Sukhois.

Singapore is going to buy the F-35s. Singapore and Israel are Security Cooperative Participation partners; the lowest tier in the international program. That did not come free. :) Singapore`s and Israel`s F-35`s configuration should be ready by now as it was reported that it would be ready by the end of last year. It would most likely be similar to Israel`s F-35 with a lot of Israeli systems added in; which is how our F-16s and F-15Sgs are widely speculated to be like. ;)

In fact, the RSAF is considering whether to purchase more F-15SGs or F-35s currently though I feel that the answer is already known(Flight International If i can recall). The F-35s will not be coming so soon and the RSAF would have to buy the F-15SGs instead in a 3rd or possibly 4th batch. I think a good number would be around 40-60 F-15SGs purchased in total between now and 2011 where they will replace all the skyhawks and perhaps one squadron of F5 S/T.

RSAF would then replace the remaining F-5S/Ts with F-35s in stages followed by the F-16s.But it all depends on the status and availability of the F-35s. You would probably see 3 aircrafts post 2013; F-15SGs, F-35s and F-16s blk 52/52+ with the F-16s slowly being phased out(to a training role ala Super Skyhawks with a secondary combat option perhaps ?) for more F-35s.

Last edited:

Red

Well I already know the F-15 is a good jet, but when the USAF and India held a military excersie together it was shown that the F-15 was slightly inferior to the more modern Su-30 and SU-35.
What Aussie Digger wrote ^. It was a Dact exercise which is not intended to prove which jet is better. The home Indian press would understandably run a different story and people who use Russian jets :).

Contextually, the RSAF and even the RAAF down south would have no problems in ensuring aerial superiority in thier respective area of operations in our region. They outnumber thier neighbours in modern air frames and weapons and most importantly are superior in over-arching systems (current and future ones).

Modern air combat is not just about how good a certain jet will perform against another jet. Calculations for modern day air combat is not made along such linear lines. You would need to take into account the entire system of sensors and shooters a country has when she brings her air force to the fore against an enemy state. In this regard, the RSAF and the RAAF have an overwhelming advantage over everybody else in the region. These same systems would allow a modest F-5S/T(in Singapore`s case) to shoot down a Sukhoi-30 at bvr ranges.

DefConGuru

Why would India conduct one sided exercises for its air force with the US? Why would the U.S. waste its time likewise? Or do one sided joint exercises happen all the time? :confused:

ROCK45

exercise

It's an exercise and a great learning process for both sides. Both sides learn and gain by it. I'm sure on the Indian side the k or MKI didn't even light up it's big radar just like against the Typhoon's. The Indian Flanker is a great platform there's no taking away from that but both side held back and both sides had a set of rules to follow. I'm a aviation fan too and would love to know which is better 1 vs 1 or 2 vs 2, but that's not going to happen in a friendly prearrange exercise.

http://www.defencetalk.com/forums/images/smilies/a1.gif
:)

Red

I think maybe when comparing aircraft for aircraft, the typhoon can possibly be regarded as a better aircraft. The F15s are old. I just bought Battlestar Galactica 1980 and there's footage of F15s in it. But when the whole package is considered, I can understand why the F15 was chosen.
The sukhois are not too far behind either in terms of age as well.

But the F-15SGs and the latest incarnation of the Sukhois are new air frames with modern systems on it. And while these aircrafts are a legacy of the cold war, can one possibly say that their designs are impotent? I do not think so. They can go toe to toe with newer designed fighters. And in Singapore`s and South Korea`s case, the potency of thier F-15s is magnified by the integrated networked systems they use.

So `old' is just a point of view.

Red

Extending another 24 options will be a smart marketing move. The SG Govt is facing budget surpluses. Once this goes into reserves, its less likely to be spent so the Govt may decide instead to avoid the budget restraint and future budget crunches. The additional 4 that it chose to procure should be an indication.
Yeah, 16-24 more frames is likely too in my opinion. The upper limit for the NGF programme is 80 fighters. I feel that they might make a bid for Slam-ers or Jassm as well in the near future.