Republic of Singapore Air Force Discussions

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I don't think this decision should be interpreted in that light. The document specifically mentions that the decision will not negatively impact on our two countries "strong bilateral relationship" so I think it the decision was made in close consultation with Singaporean officials, and our relationship remains strong.

I personally would have loved to see fast jet's return to NZ skies, and I hope that alternative arrangements can be made. After reading the document I can understand why they made the decision they did though.
I very much read it in a similar light to @OPSSG and @MrConservative. To me it's a Claytons - the drink that you have when you don't want a drink.

ADDON. If push came to shove and there was to many conflicts with aircraft, they could've moved flying training, both fixed and rotary wing, to Woodbourne making WB the main and sole training base of the RNZAF and returning Ohakea to its previous role of an operational base. WB was used as a flying training base during WW2 and no real reason why it can't now.

milliGal

The F-15SG's would have complied with Manawatu District Plan which was tested in the Environment Court in December 2016 following the NZDF notifying Change 55.

The runway extension should be happening anyway due to the P-8A's requirements. So on one hand it is fine to utilise an operational Kiwi aircraft on a runway that needs another 300m in length to operate at a rarely required MTOW but now the opposite with respect to the F-15SG is used as an argument not too. Basically the GOTD does not want to spend the money to do that.

Furthermore the alleged crowding of the base is over-cooked. The Footprint of a air combat squadron is less than the previous base expansion proposal which was to essentially house 1 BDE at OH alongside air operations under the auspices of a NZDF Joint Base.

They also use the transfer of 3 Sqd to OH not generating huge gains as the baseline to argue that long term economic benefits wont be sustained post construction. I would say better than 3 Sqd what with 500 people permanently entering the community. The local government sector got a different viewpoint from their case studies regarding the local benefits to the economy.

Sound decibels - were within district plan limits. Sanson is a tiny village population 500 2km's south the Air Force has been close by for 80 years. If you don't want to live near a military base you should not have moved there. Fine sound proof the local school and some houses. We are talking about in effect just 8 aircraft on a normal flying day for a few minutes mostly around mid morning or afternoon - entering finals just north of the village for a few minutes if they followed the same TOAL pattern of the A-4's. $24m to sort the problem out including at OH itself.

Fuel trucks will need to bring in more fuel? A couple more tankers trucks a day going down SH1. Oh Please - and that is a drawback.

As for the lack air bases - what about WB - an airbase with a under utilised runway and available space that could quite happily have the T-6C's based there. OH is not a busy base even if flight movements doubled. Back in the 1970-1990's it coped with 55 aircraft and frequent overseas visitors on a regular basis. There are joint mil-civ bases world wide with a far greater range of aircraft types and daily movements that cope fine. I have visited JASDF, USMC and USAF bases they cope fine with a variety of aircraft with a far greater operational tempo.

As sharing airspace - just go back to the stricter NOTAM regime pre 2001. There are also still gazetted low flying zones in NZ. Notifying them again. It worked before when there were over 40 fast jets in the air and more aerial top dressing aircraft operating then now.

This was only ever about the fact that this was going to cost NZ a bit of money - money that the last government had set aside $1.7B to utilised within updated Defence infrastructure and was very keen to follow through with according to very senior people I have spoken too.

If we had a proper mature and normal approach to Defence we would be seizing on the opportunity to move back into multi-role fast air ourselves by partnering with Singapore as much as we could. At least on the establishment of infrastructure.

The canning of the project wont negatively set back the relationship but if it had gone ahead it would have certainly deepened it far more than the limited imaginations of the people who wrote, approved and released this report.
I bow to your superior knowledge @MrConservative, consider my mind changed back the other way.

Woodbourne does seem under-utilised at present, but the trend over the last few decades seems to be towards consolidation at Ohakea and I would be surprised to see that change. Do you think there is anything to the statements towards considering alternative arrangements, or is the proposal effectively dead now?

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Increasingly, I suspect that without modification, the JMMS specs is not intended as a F-35B carrier - the flight deck is too short for F-35B operations (550ft/168m being the minimum for F-35B operations on a conventional flight deck) or the addition of a ski jump which would reduce the F-35B's take off distance to 450ft/137m. It is important not to trigger an arms race in Southeast Asia, as one of our objectives. We want to avoid too much attention on proposed capability and only add limited capability in small increments.
OPSSG, it's interesting to me that Dr Ng put the range of USD 90 mio to USD 115 mio of F-35 procurement cost. 90 mio if not mistaken is A cost and 115 is B cost.

Is Singapore wants to procure both A and B just like Japan do ? or just B as so far the Media told that's where Singapore interest is.
It's no wonder Singapore announced in March 2019, that Singapore would buy 4 with an option for 8. This makes sense, as Mindef would only exercise the option, if the the price is right (as visibility on this reduced price was not certain, at that time).

Incredible, the flyaway price of the F-35A will drop below US$80 million one year earlier than planned. On 10 June 2019, Pentagon acquisition czar Ellen Lord announced a US$34B agreement for F-35 Low Rate Initial Production Lots 12-14 that will see the delivery of 478 F-35 aircraft, including 157 for Lot 12 (see: $34B = Biggest Procurement In History As Lockheed, DoD Handshake Deal for 478 F-35s). Lord said in the statement that the Pentagon will reap an estimated 8.8 percent in savings from Lot 11 to Lot 12 for F-35A’s, and an average of 15 percent reduction “across all variants from Lot 11 to Lot 14.” This price is only possible with Tokyo adding 63 F-35A models, as well as 42 F-35B models, for a total of 147 F-35 fighters in Dec 2018. This large order in 2018 makes Japan second to the US in terms of procured F-35s, with the UK (138 total fighters) now third.

Last edited:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
According to Defense News report of 19 July 2019, Singapore is looking at ways dispose of its fleet of Boeing KC-135R tanker aircraft as deliveries of its new Airbus tankers continue. In response to queries about what Singapore was going to do with the four Republic of Singapore Air Force (RSAF) KC-135R planes that were retired in July, the defense ministry said that “the disposal plans are being worked out and relevant approvals will be sought as required.” Defense News understands from various sources at least one potential operator has expressed an interest in the RSAF aircraft with an eye on potentially buying them.

Last edited:

Redlands18

According to Defense News report of 19 July 2019, Singapore is looking at ways dispose of its fleet of Boeing KC-135R tanker aircraft as deliveries of its new Airbus tankers continue. In response to queries about what Singapore was going to do with the four Republic of Singapore Air Force (RSAF) KC-135R planes that were retired in July, the defense ministry said that “the disposal plans are being worked out and relevant approvals will be sought as required.” Defense News understands from various sources at least one potential operator has expressed an interest in the RSAF aircraft with an eye on potentially buying them.
Omega Air refueling Services would probably at least have a look at them as they are already operating 707s in that role but they are getting very long in the Tooth and wouldn’t be cheap to operate.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
DefenseNews Backgrounder on the RSAF modernisation in Feb 2018, including Lockheed Martin’s upgrading of the fleet of 60 F-16s under a contract signed in 2014. They will be fitted with the Northrop Grumman AN/APG-83 Scalable Agile Beam Radar, which is an active electronically scanned array radar, and Link 16 data links. The F-16s will be expected to serve until the 2030s. See: Singapore shops for new platforms as part of Air Force transformation
Airbus has now delivered 41 A330 MRTTs of 60 currently on order for 13 nations. Since 2018, deliveries (to France, Korea, and Singapore) have been of the latest Weight Variant 80 version of the A330-200. This has a number of improvements, including an enhanced vision system for refueling and improved cargo loading system. The wing pods have been improved, and the aircraft has new flap-track fairings and reshaped leading-edge slats. The avionics computers are upgraded, and a new mission-planning system significantly decreases planning time and facilitates inflight replanning. A new set of refueling boom flying control laws was approved for service in early 2019, development of which was spurred by the heavy workload encountered while refueling the F-15 Eagle, which is the primary fighter of three A330 MRTT operators (Korea, Saudi Arabia, and Singapore).

DefenseNews reports that Airbus has developed changes to the software that controls the A330 tanker boom specifically for midair refueling of F-15s. The modification, known as boom flight control law, was coded in response to difficulties encountered during flight trials. This software modification for the A330 MRTT’s aerial refueling boom system, called Update III Loop 6.1, was certified in 2018 following flight tests between the MRTT and an unidentified operator’s F-15s during the development and certification phases to assess and validate the behavior of the new boom control laws.

An unclassified Republic of Singapore Air Force document seen by Defense News noted that during flight tests with its F-15SG aircraft, the receivers experienced “a left roll tendency was observed in the center and right side of the boom envelope” and that when the boom was disconnected between tanker and receiver, the fighter jet “may yaw left (up to approximately 2 [degrees]) into the boom as the boom was flying up and away from the receptacle”. The standards-related document also said aircrew “qualitatively assessed that the workload was minimal to moderate and was manageable,” adding that the F-15’s tendency to roll while on the MRTT’s boom meant that it required “a slight constant right aileron and/or rudder inputs to maintain in position.”

Singapore’s F-15SGs have received category 3 clearance for refueling from the MRTT, though some restrictions still apply, including that the MRTT ARBS version “must be or later than Upgrade III Loop 6.1” and the F-15SG “shall not carry stores” on the two forward left weapons stations, known as LC3 and LC6. Category 3 clearance is the highest of three levels between tanker and receiver aircraft, and it is considered a low-risk clearance due to comprehensive compatibility testing between both aircraft. See: Has Airbus fixed midair refueling problems with the F-15 jet?

Last edited:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Singapore’s long term overseas training detachments being slowly increased

1. On 7 Dec 2019, it was announced that Singapore and the US have agreed to set up a Republic of Singapore Air Force (RSAF) fighter training detachment in Guam, its fourth such detachment on US territory. This Memorandum of Understanding lays out the framework for the RSAF's detachment in Guam, covering the deployment of the RSAF's F-15SG and F-16 fighter aircraft and other supporting assets such as the Gulfstream 550 – Airborne Early Warning (G550-AEW) to Andersen Air Force Base.
  • Guam at 4,700km away from Singapore, will be the RSAF’s fourth detachment and nearest fighter detachment on US territory, after the Peace Carvin II F-16 fighter detachment at Luke Air Force Base (425 Fighter Squadron) in Arizona, Peace Carvin V F-15SG fighter detachment at Mount Home Air Force Base (428th Fighter Squadron) in Idaho and Peace Vanguard AH-64 Apache helicopter detachment at Silverbell Army Heliport in Marana, Arizona.
  • The Memorandum of Understanding on basing a RSAF fighter training detachment in Guam was signed by Singapore Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen and his US counterpart, Secretary of Defense Mark Esper, while Dr Ng is in the US from 6 to 8 December 2019 (SG time) to attend the 7th Reagan National Defense Forum, held in Simi Valley, California. Dr Ng, spoke at the 7th Reagan National Defense Forum Panel Session "Advancing Us National Defense: Working With Allies And Partners".
2. By 2026, the RSAF will have to stand up a detachment in the US, to train its F-35 pilots — it has been suggested Singapore will buy the Lot 15, Block 4 F-35 (with those jets to be delivered in 2023) in its initial order of 4 (with an option for 8 more fighters). See: Singapore’s careful F-35 fighter aircraft purchase
  • Fundamental to Block 4 is the upcoming “Tech Refresh 3” package of IT upgrades, including a new integrated core processor with greater computing power, a panoramic cockpit display and an enhanced memory unit. The Block 4 software suite for the jet includes 53 improvements to advanced air- and ground-based threats. None of the changes will affect the exterior of the jet; the mods will instead focus on software updates to be rolled out in stages.
  • Some of the modifications that could become available in Block 4 include capabilities like conformal or external fuel tanks that could extend the jet’s range by more than 40 percent, or the auto-ground collision avoidance system. By the time of Lot 15 production, Lockheed aims to increase the internal weapons bay capacity from four to six missiles and integrate new weapons into the aircraft. JPO expects more updates to follow-on after the Block 4 upgrades are complete, with a Block 5 likely in about 2028.
3. The search for more to overseas training locations is inevitable as by 2030, the RSAF will be closing Paya Lebar Airbase; as a result of which the expansion of Tengah Air Base, to house the relocated squadrons from Paya Lebar is necessary. The presence of more relocated squadrons will affect the air space of RSAF’s UAV command, at Murai Camp, which is in the vicinity of Tengah. Murai Camp has a runway on its premises for its UAVs and these flights will affected.

4. Diverse relationships lend diplomatic diversity, if not redundancy, designed to maximise Singapore’s options, thus avoiding the patron-client trap of less proactive small states. The NZ Cabinet documents on the rejection of the proposal to base Singaporean F-15s at Ohakea, demonstrate the importance of building strong and wide ranging defence ties with multiple parties (see: Singapore Proposal to Base F-15 Fighter Jets at Ohakea Base – rejected). The RSAF also has training detachments in Oakey Army Aviation Centre (for Chinook & Super Puma training), Flying Training Institute Detachment in Pearce, Western Australia, and at the Air Grading Centre in Tamworth, New South Wales and Cazaux, France (150 squadron).
  • Almost every RSAF pilot and Weapon Systems Officer has to walk the hallowed halls of the Flying Training Institute Detachment at Pearce for their 30-week long Basic Wings course, before they are streamed to different platforms such as Fighter Wings Course, Rotary Wings Course or Transport Wings Course for more training.
  • Those RSAF pilots destined for the Fighter Wings Course are sent to Cazaux which operates the M-346 Advanced Jet Trainer aircraft which closely mimics the flight performance of fighters.

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Singapore gets the green light to buy F-35s

Seems according to this, Singapore will go for F-35B. Not surprising in my opinion. I do recalled long way back in 90's on BAE effort to offer VTOL Harrier in the region. Seems if not mistaken RSAF and TNI-AU shown some interest on Harrier before choosing F-16.

Now F-35B can provide what Harrier still lacking.
Good. The DSCA notifciation has been published, Singapore – F-35B Short Take-Off and Vertical Landing (STOVL) Aircraft, with a bit more info.

Stampede

Good. The DSCA notifciation has been published, Singapore – F-35B Short Take-Off and Vertical Landing (STOVL) Aircraft, with a bit more info.

With Singapore having a significant defence presence in Australia, we may very well see their F 35 B's flying locally in OZ.
What with the US marines also equipped with the B, this aircraft will be well tested and assessed in what it brings to the battle space for this part of the world.
An interesting development.

Regards S

t68

US approves $2.75b fighter jet sale to Singapore

$ 2.750.000.000 for just 12 JSFs/F-35....even with all the spareparts, GSE and training, thats quite a lot in my opinion.

That’s about par for the course, don’t forget the RAAF’s first lot of SH in 2007 was 6billion for 24 aircraft, The $6 billion cost of the Super Hornet program includes "aircraft, weapons, initial training, spares, facilities, program management, personnel and support costs," according to Defence. Singapore will also need all that

Defence Business: $6B for Super Hornet - Australian Defence Magazine

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
US approves $2.75b fighter jet sale to Singapore

$ 2.750.000.000 for just 12 JSFs/F-35....even with all the spareparts, GSE and training, thats quite a lot in my opinion.
Perhaps half that is the likely the "flyaway" purchase cost. IIRC the latest LRIP 10 for the F-35B was USD$122 mil. per aircraft for the "flyaway" cost. I suspect it has since dropped, much like it has for the F-35A (though not necessarily by as much).

The rest of the costs are likely related to training, spares and support. Since I am uncertain how Singapore records certain defence acquisitions I do not know if that pricing might also cover modifications and/or expansions to current Singaporean defence infrastructure (hangars, heat treatments for runways/landing pads, etc.)

Redlands18

Perhaps half that is the likely the "flyaway" purchase cost. IIRC the latest LRIP 10 for the F-35B was USD$122 mil. per aircraft for the "flyaway" cost. I suspect it has since dropped, much like it has for the F-35A (though not necessarily by as much).

The rest of the costs are likely related to training, spares and support. Since I am uncertain how Singapore records certain defence acquisitions I do not know if that pricing might also cover modifications and/or expansions to current Singaporean defence infrastructure (hangars, heat treatments for runways/landing pads, etc.)
And lets not forget Trg includes going from conventional Jets to VSTOL Jets so in more ways than usual a very different Beast to what Singapore has operated before. We are not just talking about introducing a 5th Gen Fighter here but one with an extra unique capability as well.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Post 1 of 3: Roadmap for improving RSAF’s capabilities

1. Singapore joined the JSF Security cooperation programme in Feb 2003. But Singapore JSF programme went under the radar until around 2013 (when Dr Ng Eng Hen said in Parliament that his ministry was in the final stages of the evaluating the F-35) and the Jan 2020 approval by the US State Dept for the sale of up to 12 F-35Bs.
Perhaps half that is the likely the "flyaway" purchase cost...

The rest of the costs are likely related to training, spares and support.
2. There will be costs incurred in the US associated with reprogramming center access, tanker support and setting up another RSAF fighter detachment in the US and this may be a factor in the ‘price’. Given that the infrastructure, such as simulators and other support equipment at bases like US Marine Corps Air Station (MCAS) Beaufort in South Carolina or MCAS Yuma in Arizona (where the US Marines base F-35Bs) will be specific to the aircraft to be acquired, the case for the RSAF setting up a training detachment at one of these bases is strong. The RSAF’s fifth detachment is likely to be there.

3. Training may also involve partnership programmes with friendly air forces that have purchased the F-35B variant – which on top of the US (353 F-35B) and UK (138 F-35B), include Italy. Italy will order 30 F-35Bs, which will be evenly split between the navy and air force.

4. In addition:
  • Norway and Italy stood up a software lab at Eglin Air Force Base, Florida, allowing the two nations to manage its mission data separately from the US military. Italy was also working on hardware and software that would filter out sensitive F-35 data and keep it from being sent to the US.
  • The F-35B and F-15SG both carry about the same amount of internal fuel — 13,326 lbs vs 13,550 lbs. But the F-15SG with CFT fitted have a fuel capacity of around 23,000 lbs before any optional external drop tanks are added. This F-35B acquisition gives the RSAF a Mach 1.6 (1,200 mph; 2,000 kph) STOVL fighter with an impressive range (when compared to the F-16C/D it replaces for the RSAF) before optional external drop tanks are added or taking into consideration, air-to-air refuelling.
Since I am uncertain how Singapore records certain defence acquisitions I do not know if that pricing might also cover modifications and/or expansions to current Singaporean defence infrastructure (hangars, heat treatments for runways/landing pads, etc.)
5. For land-scarce Singapore, merging three fighter airbases into two in the near future, this added capability provided by the F-35B will give the country a needed boost in its air power generation capabilities. Base improvement costs incurred in Singapore will not be published as declassified figures — as the project to close Paya Lebar Air Base at about 2030 and beyond, is well advanced in planning and upgrade works at Tengah Air Base ongoing. The SAF’s current military airbases are located close to neighbouring states. For example, Tengah airbase is located only 6 kilometres from Malaysia and is vulnerable to attacks by swarms of drones, missiles or artillery fire. The successful attack on a Saudi Arabian oilfield by drones and cruise missiles in Sep 2019 highlights the vulnerability of Singapore’s airbases. According to Mike Yeo:

“Singapore’s air bases will also change with the arrival of the F-35 in Singapore. This goes beyond the base realignment that has already been announced so far, which will see Paya Lebar Air Base close in the 2030s to free up land for other uses and the aircraft, equipment and personnel moved to the expanded Tengah and Changi East airbases.​

Work at whichever base(s) the RSAF’s F-35s will be stationed at will also need to take into account US security requirements for F-35 basing. Essentially, an extra layer of fencing will need to be built around all F-35 parking areas, along with additional security arrangements. These include limiting access to these areas only to personnel specially cleared to enter, essentially turning it into an airbase within an airbase.​

Another upgrade would entail the building of landing pads to allow F-35B pilots to conduct vertical landing training and operations on. These pads would need to be specially reinforced to withstand the intense downward heat generated by the F-35B’s powerful engine as it lands vertically.”​
And lets not forget Trg includes going from conventional Jets to VSTOL Jets so in more ways than usual a very different Beast to what Singapore has operated before. We are not just talking about introducing a 5th Gen Fighter here but one with an extra unique capability as well.
6. Agreed.

7. Singapore’s forward defence strategy has now shifted focus to the maritime domain. A F-35B acquisition will eventually enable the 21st Division and its 7th Singapore Infantry Brigade (7 SIB), as an infantry formation specializing in heliborne and amphibious operations, supported by the future Joint-Multi-Mission Ship (JMMS) to operate more like a mini Marine expeditionary brigade (MEB) of the US Marines with its aviation combat element. Details of the JMMS are currently sketchy, but they will reportedly have double the capacity of the current Endurance Class vessels. The 7 SIB comprises of the Army Deployment Force, 1st Guards, 3rd Guards Battalions and a specialist C4I battalion — C4I stands for Command, Control, Communications, Computers, Intelligence Battalion. This was formed through the merger of Signals units and Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) units of Army Intelligence. Over time SAF will declassify more of 7 SIB’s military capabilities with its spectrum of ISR capabilities and operations that include Operations Other than War. It will all become much clearer to both you and me — but I caution that a MEB has more assets than a heliborne and amphibious Singapore Brigade, so they will never be equivalent.

8. With regard to the JMMS (if it is based on the Endurance 160 design), Mike Yeo has suggested the length of the flight deck is too short for F-35B operations (550ft/168m being the minimum for F-35B operations on a conventional flight deck) or the addition of a ski jump which would reduce the F-35B's take off distance to 450ft/137m. The distances may be shorter as the F-35 Selected Acquisition Report 2018 states that the F-35B demonstrated 471ft/144m short take-off on flat deck (with 2 x AIM-120 + 2 x 1000lb JDAM) with fuel for combat radius of 450nm. The initial development objective was 600ft ( LHA/LHD ) and 450ft ( UK STOVL ) with above parameters.
9. Artillery threats, be they shells, mortars and rockets against the Singapore main island has been around before Singapore gained her independence and during WWII, the crown colony was shelled by the Japanese Imperial Army. It is not something new and the SAF’s force structure is designed for forward defence to manage this threat. Learning from the US Marine Corps, dispersion of forward deployed Singapore forces via an Expeditionary Advance Base for the STOVL F-35Bs, is possible using Naval and Air Force logistics capability present in Endurance class LPDs (to replaced by the Joint-Multi-Mission Ship), Chinooks (eg. logistics and munitions lift) and the 6 A330 MRTT to sustain air patrols of the F-35Bs. A squadron of STOVL aircraft ensures that the RSAF can keep up combat air operations even in the event of it's runways being out of action, even for a short period of time. Knowing that the RSAF retains an air combat capability even without runways in operation would complicate any adversary's calculations in attempting a first strike to negate Singapore's defences. Dispersion enables Singapore to utilise alternative airfields (eg. Pulau Sudong, Seletar Airport or Sembawang helicopter base) that were previously unsuited for fighter aircraft due to the limited runway length. This allows RSAF aircraft to conduct flight operations for several days from numerous sites like stretches of highway, or expeditionary airfields using matting (eg. San Carlos Harrier FOB, built by the British in 1982 on the Falkland Islands - the runway length was 260m long).

10. The 2 RSAF fighter bases located in the rear (at Tengah and Changi in Singapore) would provide logistical and maintenance support for ongoing operations and subsequent overhauling and repairing of aircraft. Since only some of the surveyed sites would be occupied, enemy targeting would be reduced to a complicated shell game. It is clear, the SAF is keen and capable of learning from the US Marines, their concept of operations and strive to inter-operate with them at a joint service level (eg. on 9 February 1991, US Marines AV-8B Harriers operated out of a forward site at Tanajib, less than 40 miles from ground operations, to support Operation Desert Storm; Tanajib was an oil field support base that had an airstrip but this was expanded by the use of matting for taxiways and aircraft parking).

Last edited:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Post 2 of 3: Learning and collaborating with others

11. Just as the Singapore Army has learnt from the US Army’s conduct of the Thunder Run, the SAF is learning from the US Marine Corps’ Expeditionary Advance Base Operations (EABO) concept of operations. The 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) and Wasp Amphibious Ready Group (ARG) in 2019 demonstrated two long-range expeditionary capabilities that provide a glimpse into how future warfighting could be conducted in littoral areas:
  • Reconnaissance Marines with the 31st MEU’s Amphibious Reconnaissance Platoon conducted a high altitude low opening (HALO) parachute jump onto the Ie Shima island to conduct reconnaissance and surveillance of the area.
  • After the reconnaissance team finished surveilling the airfield, Marines with Echo Company, Battalion Landing Team, 2nd Battalion, 1st Marines vertically inserted via MV-22B Osprey tiltrotor aircraft from the USS Wasp(LHD-1) more than 250 miles away, rapidly seizing the objective in just over an hour.
  • After perimeter security was set at the airfield, a CH-53E Super Stallion heavy-lift helicopter delivered three crates with the Helicopter Expeditionary Refueling System equipment to establish a Forward Arming and Refuelling Point (FARP).
  • Marines from I Marine Aircraft Wing, Marine Medium Tiltrotor Squadron 265 (Reinforced) and Echo Company moved the gear from the drop zone and began setting up the FARP. From delivery to completion, the FARP – which consisted of 5,500 pounds of fuel delivered by an MV-22B – was set up in four and a half hours.
  • With the airfield seized and the FARP established, the MEU demonstrated a long-range casualty evacuation with its KC-130. The U.S. Air Force 353rd Special Operations Group (SOG) medical technicians helped conduct the CASEVAC during this exercise. The Marine Air Traffic Control Mobile Team on the ground helped direct the KC-130 to land within Echo Company’s security cordon.
I would prefer B only purchase - not sure what the SG Government would do in the end. That way the 6 A330 MRTTs can focus on supporting F-15SGs and other aircraft during a conflict. We need all the tankers up and flying to support the required air tasking - to service the number of targets we need to hit with each wave of strike aircraft. With Bs, an enemy can’t hope to shut down the Republic of Singapore Air Force through even an air field denial exercise. Too many basketball courts - which can serve as landings spots (for vertical landing).

My preference is not to have a mixed fleet of As and Bs for the F-35s, as we are only replacing 3 squadrons of F-16s, if price is not the only concern.
12. Diplomacy and deterrence is not about being nice, polite or agreeable (see: The best strategy to defending Singapore Island). It is more fundamentally about protecting and promoting the country's interests, preferably by being nice but if necessary by other appropriate means. If the use of other appropriate means to promote Singapore’s interests arise, especially against non-state actors, a detachment of 4 to 6 F-35Bs deployed at an EABO with 7 SIB, will be a powerful tool of persuasion, even if the F-35B is only used as as ISR asset. The 2017 Battle of Marawi in the Philippines also demonstrated that it takes night fighting equipment, a high standard of C3, combat trauma management and interoperability with supporting arms (such as, precise joint fires and armoured engineers) to fight and win against ISIS in the urban environment — where the SAF's assistance included sending a C-130H to transport humanitarian supplies, use of the SAF's urban training villages for AFP troops, and a detachment of UAVs to assist in providing ISR to the Philippines. See: Full Frame: Singapore To Acquire F-35B. Further, on a 10 Jan 2020 reply to a media query, MINDEF has said:

On 5 April 2019, MINDEF submitted a request to purchase F35Bs from the US - to acquire four planes with an option of an additional eight more, subsequently. The Congressional Notification (CN) of Singapore's request of purchase adheres to the formal requirement within the US for possible sale of military equipment to foreign countries. It is routine and Congress has 30 days to respond to the CN. The CN is not a formal contract of purchase. If the CN passes, formal terms will be negotiated for the Letter of Offer and Acceptance.
13. Speaking to the media ahead of SAF Day on 1 July 2014, Dr Ng said Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines underlined the need for a Joint-Multi-Mission Ship (JMMS): "A larger JMMS would be able to carry more helicopters or have more helicopters operating. When we responded to Typhoon Haiyan...basically, the typhoon was so devastating that comms and communication were knocked out. There was no centralised ability for command and control of the airspace. In that context, a ship like the JMMS would have been very useful." However, the centre should not simply respond when a crisis hits, he said. Instead, it should build networks – similar to United Nations agencies and voluntary welfare organisations – and pre-position them so that countries know where these resources are. Learning from its previous HADR missions, the SAF realised the value of having larger naval vessels which could act as springboards for extended helicopter operations, said Dr Ng. While the Endurance Class have served the SAF well, a larger JMMS that would have greater capacity and greater range to respond.

14. If ST Marine is able to win the New Zealand contract in the mid-2020s for an additional sealift vessel (likely based on the JMMS design), it would lower the cost of introducing a new class of vessel. Given the build time frame, one of these designs (be it the Endurance 160 or 170 design concepts) might be a potential fit for NZDF requirements, under points 69 to 72, in the just released 2019 Defence Capability Plan. Let me extract parts of the 2019 DCP, below for ease of reference:

“....Recognising the high value of sealift to humanitarian and disaster relief, and the sustain-ment of deployed forces, in the mid-2020s an additional sealift vessel will be acquired. Operating alongside HMNZS Canterbury, this acquisition will provide two sealift vessels, and will greatly improve the effectiveness of the Defence Force, and the resilience of the nation, and the region.
  • The enhanced sealift vessel will have greater lift capacity than HMNZS Canterbury. The capability will provide a highly flexible military asset, including hospital facilities, planning spaces, and self-defence capabilities. It will also provide support for the deployment of a range of capabilities, including Special Forces, Unmanned Aerial Vehicles and NH90 helicopters. The enhanced sealift capability will also improve the New Zealand Defence Force’s amphibious operations. Through the provision of a well dock, it will be able to conduct operations in a wider range of sea conditions, and will have the size and capacity to carry large equipment, and sufficient aviation capacity to allow extended, long duration operations. Its size will also provide for the transport of a larger number of personnel, allowing for the value of the increased size of the New Zealand Army to be realised.
15. On 2 July 2018 IHS Janes reported and other members have noted earlier in the RSN thread and this NZ Navy thread, that the Singapore Navy plans to eventually retire its Endurance class LPDs and replace these with the JMMS. Raises my hand, again, on the hope of a joint JMMS buy by the NZ and Singapore navies, in the early 2020s. Tick the box for HADR, a well dock to launch FCUs, ability to transport NH-90 helicopters (and Chinooks for the Australians), along with lean manning for a small navy. When compared to the Endurance Class 140, the "Joint Multi Mission Ship" built for NZDF will:
  • Be even more versatile when configured with standardized mission modules to take on a wide spectrum of operations, including additional modules to support search-and-rescue operations or be deployed with unmanned systems for surveillance or mine countermeasure operations;
  • Improve efficiency in logistics and engineering support. In "designing the support", the JMMS' operational readiness will be enhanced as less time will be required for maintenance of the ships;
  • Re-use and improve the sense-making and decision support systems used in other classes of RSN ships, like the LMV or MCRV, and also complemented by the already high levels of automation in Singapore ships. This will enhance situational awareness and accelerate decision making, and
  • Be equipped with advanced integrated communication and network system that includes tracking of the ship's equipment and logistics status as well as crew movement.
See also: Nighthawk.NZ - Why do I think the Endurance 170 LHD is a good choice for the RNZN.

Last edited:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Post 3 of 3: Providing Context

16. Acting Secretary of the United States Navy (USN) Thomas B. Modly, visited Singapore for a working visit from 14 to 15 Jan 2020. The visit underscores the strong bilateral relationship. This visit by Modly, comes after the 9 Jan 2020 approval by the US State Dept for the sale of up to 12 F-35Bs to Singapore. Singapore's selection of the F-35B demonstrates that above all, it values the STOVL capability and the basing flexibility and operational flexibility it brings. It is even willing to trade physical attributes like range, payload and agility for the inclusion of STOVL, which in retrospect makes a lot of sense. The greatest strength of the F-35 is not about its absolute speed, rate of climb, range on internal fuel, sustained turn rate, maximum payload or maximum g-rating. The real value of the F-35 is its survivability in an access denied high threat environment and its superior networking capability thanks to its VLO technology, all-encompassing sensors, organic self-protection mechanisms and connectivity.

17. Singapore may have deliberately timed its F-35 purchase to coincide with the end of low rate initial production (LRIP) and the beginning of full-rate production (FRP).
  • A new phase known as Initial Operational Test And Evaluation ( IOT&E ) has began. The successful conclusion of the IOT&E, initially due in Jul 2019 but currently delayed by problems relating to the Joint Simulation Environment facility, will pave the way for the commencement of FRP.
  • Production numbers are peaking with a record number of 134 F-35s delivered in 2019 and that figure is expected to be surpassed in 2020. The combined all variants production numbers have reach 491 aircrafts by December 2019. The unit cost of all variants have continued to fall for the past few years and the latest LRIP Lot 14 F-35B for delivery in 2022 has a unit cost of US$101.3 million.
Since current LRIP Lot 12 to Lot 14 for delivery between 2020 and 2022 are likely to have been fully allocated, the assembly of Singapore's initial four F-35B could be assigned to later production lots like LRIP Lot 15 / FRP. Whichever production lot they come from, Singapore is likely to receive the F-35B Block 4 with the latest software upgrades and enhanced warfighting capabilities. The 4 initial F-35B ordered by Singapore (with an option for 8 more) are likely to end up at Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort in South Carolina where all international F-35B pilots and maintainers are trained. They will form a training detachment where the first batches of RSAF pilots and ground personnel will undergo training with their USMC counterparts from the Marine Fighter Attack Training Squadron 501 ( VMFAT-501 ) and other foreign entities from the UK, Italy and Japan. See: Full Frame: Gimme STOVL : Singapore Decides On The F-35B

18. As the above blog notes, “Singapore does not have any territorial disputes with China and China is also one of Singapore's largest trading partners. But it does have a vested interest in ensuring its sea lines of communication remains secure and open so that trade flows are not disrupted. The notion that Singapore can work together with the other F-35 operating countries in the Asia Pacific, namely Australia, Japan and South Korea, to contain China is also without merit. Why would Singapore want to get involved with the squabbles between China and each of these countries? Has it not had enough of its own problems? Therefore this F-35 acquisition is just another routine force renewal exercise aimed at replacing the ageing F-16 fighters which have been in service with the RSAF since 1998. Nobody should really read too much into it or worry about it .... at least until the Joint Multi-Mission Ship is constructed.”

Last edited:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lockheed-Martin was awarded a US$914 million DoD contract in December 2015 to perform the Singaporean F-16 upgrade and a further $27 million supplemental contract was issued in November 2016 for Lockheed-Martin to exercise “four options” in support of Singapore’s F-16 upgrade program, along with another $67.6m fixed price modification to the original contract awarded on 17 Feb 2020. This contract is expected to be completed by 30 June 2023, and is a Foreign Military Sales acquisition. The Air Force Life Cycle Management Center, Wright Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio, is the contracting activity (US DoD). Singapore expects to have its first upgraded F-16 roll off the line sometime next year, with its air force chief confirming that work will be carried out locally.

Addressing written questions put to him by Defense News prior to the Singapore Airshow, Major-General Kelvin Khong wrote that prototyping work in the United States, led by F-16 manufacturer Lockheed-Martin, is ongoing. He also confirmed that serial production has commenced locally on the project, with ST Engineering Aerospace undertaking the effort with the first upgraded aircraft “expected to be rolled out around 2021."

The U.S. $2.43 billion upgrade package includes the Northrop Grumman AN/APG-83 active electronically scanned array radar, mission computers, helmet mounted sights and integration of new weapons such as the GBU-38 Joint Direct Attack Munition (JDAM), GBU-49/50 Enhanced Paveway II dual-mode guided bombs, and CBU-105 Sensor-Fuzed Weapon. The request also included the integration of the AIM-9X Sidewinder agile dogfight missile and Joint Helmet Mounted-Cueing System (JHMCS). The latter will replace the Israeli Elbit DASH (Display and Sight Helmet) currently in use by the RSAF’s Vipers. Singapore is one of three Asian nations currently upgrading its F-16 fleet to a roughly similar standard, with Taiwan and South Korea the other two.

Last edited:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Boeing sees an opportunity for its AH-64E Apache Guardian attack helicopter in the Asia-Pacific market, with a senior company representative telling Jane's that follow-on and new orders are likely. Singapore, an operator of the AH-64D-model Apache, has expressed an interest in remanufacturing 12 of its 20 helicopters to the AH-64E-standard.

CAE announced at the Singapore Airshow that its upgraded CH-47 Chinook helicopter Full-Mission Simulator has now been put into service for training by the Republic of Singapore Air Force (RSAF). The newly delivered CH-47 Chinook Full-Mission Simulator for the RSAF was recently upgraded by CAE and is now delivering enhanced crew training to maintain a high state of mission readiness. Upgraded simulators by CAE for the CH-47 also feature a new or refurbished six-degree-of-freedom motion system and the implementation of a digital automatic flight control system (SAS Daily News). CAE also provides technical support services for training systems such as the Super Puma and S-70B Seahawk full-mission helicopter simulators operated by the RSAF.

Last edited:

Gambit79

Lockheed-Martin was awarded a US$914 million DoD contract in December 2015 to perform the Singaporean F-16 upgrade and a further $27 million supplemental contract was issued in November 2016 for Lockheed-Martin to exercise “four options” in support of Singapore’s F-16 upgrade program, along with another $67.6m fixed price modification to the original contract awarded on 17 Feb 2020. This contract is expected to be completed by 30 June 2023, and is a Foreign Military Sales acquisition. The Air Force Life Cycle Management Center, Wright Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio, is the contracting activity (US DoD). Singapore expects to have its first upgraded F-16 roll off the line sometime next year, with its air force chief confirming that work will be carried out locally.

Addressing written questions put to him by Defense News prior to the Singapore Airshow, Major-General Kelvin Khong wrote that prototyping work in the United States, led by F-16 manufacturer Lockheed-Martin, is ongoing. He also confirmed that serial production has commenced locally on the project, with ST Engineering Aerospace undertaking the effort with the first upgraded aircraft “expected to be rolled out around 2021."

The U.S. $2.43 billion upgrade package includes the Northrop Grumman AN/APG-83 active electronically scanned array radar, mission computers, helmet mounted sights and integration of new weapons such as the GBU-38 Joint Direct Attack Munition (JDAM), GBU-49/50 Enhanced Paveway II dual-mode guided bombs, and CBU-105 Sensor-Fuzed Weapon. The request also included the integration of the AIM-9X Sidewinder agile dogfight missile and Joint Helmet Mounted-Cueing System (JHMCS). The latter will replace the Israeli Elbit DASH (Display and Sight Helmet) currently in use by the RSAF’s Vipers. Singapore is one of three Asian nations currently upgrading its F-16 fleet to a roughly similar standard, with Taiwan and South Korea the other two.
Aside to that, unsure what’s the plan for Fokker 50 MPA/C-130 Transport since CAF mentioned that RSAF will continue to operate these type of aircraft for many years to come.What’s your take? Will be another 10-15 years? Will these aircraft rendered obsolescence? Will the airframe be able to operate the harsh external environment? What about safety of her Pilots and Crew? What about the technological / armament aspects when compared to other MPAs in the region? What about procuring more S-70B Sea Hawks? There is lacking of affirmation from the RSAF.