Republic of Singapore Air Force Discussions

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Hi, I'm kinda new here, so go easy on me.

I got some questions. More like statements actually and i want to just see if they are accurate?

1. Singapore procured the four G550 CAEW. How far is the range of that radar? Is it 400km? That would be as far as KL from Singapore? So with 4 birds up in the sky, connected via datalinks, that would cover about the entire of the South China Sea?
Probably but radar range depends on altitude of the radar itself. You can be certain the real specifications of this radar are a closely guarded secret. It will no doubt cover the approaches to Singapore extremely well.

RSAF also isn't going to have all aircraft in the air simultaneously. Aircraft have to be maintained, even when relatively new. 4 aircraft would probably provide regular coverage of 2 aircraft, with a surge capability for a 3rd and the 4th to replace one of the others through the maintainance program. It's radar coverage will thus be mainly shared between it's AEW&C aircraft, maritime patrol capabilities, ground based civilian and military radar systems and sea based Naval radar systems.

2. What about ground based radars? If they're bigger, they'd have stronger transmitters and receivers, but their position on the ground instead of up in the air, would mean about a similar range?
Radar range horizons are limited by curvature of the earth regardless of where the radar is mounted. The higher above the earth the further you can see, but then you run into weight, power and cooling concerns, not to mention the mission duration the aircraft carrying them is capable of.

The only realistic way to get constant airborne radar coverage is to invest in something like JLENS.

Raytheon Company: JLENS

Ground and large sea based radars can see a long way because they are usually of very high power (for air search radar systems) but this long range is at high altitude. At lower altitudes their range is much more restricted. Physics have not yet been overcome, no matter how many fanbois like to boast about ridiculous engagement ranges for some SAM systems...

3. Somewhere earlier in this thread someone meantioned that the F-15SG's AESA Radar (or any of the other fighter's radar) would light up the sky. But would it be possible for the fighters to be more tactical by switching off its radar and operating solely from the datalink feed from an accompanying G550 or any other ground based radar? Is this also possible with the radar systems from and for other platforms like the navy's frigates?
To the F-15's, yes they could do the types of things you mention. AS to whether they can do so from other offboard sensors or radars on ships or ground-based assets, depends on a few different things.

Have they had Link 16 and VMF installed on all assets? Do you have re-trans assets available to network your force over extended ranges?

Don't know enough about SAF to determine that and that information might be classified anyway...

I'm guessing what I am saying is more or less accurate, but any confirmation or thoughts that you guys can give would be great.

Cheers.
No probs.

shihido

Thanks for your inputs!

Probably but radar range depends on altitude of the radar itself. You can be certain the real specifications of this radar are a closely guarded secret. It will no doubt cover the approaches to Singapore extremely well.

RSAF also isn't going to have all aircraft in the air simultaneously. Aircraft have to be maintained, even when relatively new. 4 aircraft would probably provide regular coverage of 2 aircraft, with a surge capability for a 3rd and the 4th to replace one of the others through the maintainance program. It's radar coverage will thus be mainly shared between it's AEW&C aircraft, maritime patrol capabilities, ground based civilian and military radar systems and sea based Naval radar systems.

Radar range horizons are limited by curvature of the earth regardless of where the radar is mounted. The higher above the earth the further you can see, but then you run into weight, power and cooling concerns, not to mention the mission duration the aircraft carrying them is capable of.

The only realistic way to get constant airborne radar coverage is to invest in something like JLENS.

Raytheon Company: JLENS

Ground and large sea based radars can see a long way because they are usually of very high power (for air search radar systems) but this long range is at high altitude. At lower altitudes their range is much more restricted. Physics have not yet been overcome, no matter how many fanbois like to boast about ridiculous engagement ranges for some SAM systems...

To the F-15's, yes they could do the types of things you mention. AS to whether they can do so from other offboard sensors or radars on ships or ground-based assets, depends on a few different things.

Have they had Link 16 and VMF installed on all assets? Do you have re-trans assets available to network your force over extended ranges?

Don't know enough about SAF to determine that and that information might be classified anyway...

No probs.
Based on the theoretical limit of the systems, is 400km about right for detection range?

Anyway, i'm just trying to wrap my head around how much notice the RSAF could possible get before staging a response. So based on that distance and the speed of the incoming aerial threat, I guess about 15-18 mins?

Anyway, in a war time scenario, what are the force projection capabilities of the RSAF. Is the aerial refueling the only capability they have currently? But that can't possibly allow the RSAF to project beyond the SEA region right?

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Thanks for your inputs!

Based on the theoretical limit of the systems, is 400km about right for detection range?

Anyway, i'm just trying to wrap my head around how much notice the RSAF could possible get before staging a response. So based on that distance and the speed of the incoming aerial threat, I guess about 15-18 mins?

Anyway, in a war time scenario, what are the force projection capabilities of the RSAF. Is the aerial refueling the only capability they have currently? But that can't possibly allow the RSAF to project beyond the SEA region right?
400k's from where? 30k feet above Raffles Hotel? Or a 500k orbit off the coast, given we're talking about a G550 airframe here with a 12500k range...

Obviously you don't really believe the G550 CAEW's just do lazy orbits directly above Singapore's main island do you?

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
11 April 2013 -- Pratt & Whitney has received a contract from the Republic of Singapore for the purchase of seven advanced F100-PW-229 EEP engines to power the Republic of Singapore Air Force (RSAF) fleet of Lockheed Martin F-16 fighters. Under the terms of this purchase, the RSAF will receive deliveries in 2013 and 2014...

...The Engine Enhancement Package (EEP) for the F100-PW-229 engine is the latest evolution of the F100 family of fighter aircraft engines. The EEP makes this extraordinary propulsion system even better by extending the depot service interval up to 40 percent, taking the average service life between overhauls from seven years to more than 10 years on average. The F100-PW-229 EEP is designed to extend the periodic engine inspection requirement from 4,300 to 6,000 cycles, eliminating one out of every three overhaul cycles...
h/t to weasel1962 for posting the news first.

RSAF is to re-engine 7 F-16s in its fleet by 2014 (with the F100-PW-229 EEP) and has awarded the contract to Pratt & Whitney. Singapore's F-16s were delivered from 1998, with the oldest around 14 years old (so they have got plenty of air frame life in them). This engine model has also been used in F-15Ks (using the F100-PW-229 EEP) delivered to South Korea.

This news comes on the heels of the company setting up a new 180,000 square foot (16,000 square meter) facility to manufacture fan blades and high pressure turbine disks for Pratt & Whitney's PurePower® Geared Turbofan™ engines (a commercial engine manufacturing facility). The ground breaking for this new Singapore facility occurred on 31 January 2013 is one of nine Pratt & Whitney businesses in Singapore. Pratt & Whitney Singapore Manufacturing will help Pratt & Whitney achieve production capacity required to meet customer demand for commercial engines.

Last edited:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
16 September 2013 -- Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen said the Republic of Singapore Air Force (RSAF) will soon acquire a new surface-to-air missile system called the ASTER-30. This missile defence system against airborne threats is used by advanced militaries such as France and Italy.

Speaking in Parliament on Monday, Dr Ng said the ASTER 30 capability is many times more potent than the current I-hawk ground based air defence system. The new system will allow the RSAF to engage multiple threats simultaneously and from a longer distance.

In addition, the RSAF will be upgrading its fighter fleet. Dr Ng said these advance capabilities have now provided confidence for the Ministry of Defence (MINDEF) and Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) to consider relocating Paya Lebar air base in the long term to meet national development needs...

<snip>
Announced today, Singapore's Minister of Defence has said that the air force will replace the I-Hawk with Aster-30 (which makes sense as the Singapore Navy is already a current user of the Aster-15 on the six Formidable class frigates). We are still awaiting further announcements on further upgrades to Singapore's IADS, possibly later in the year or early next.

MBDA ASTER 30 presentation - YouTube

This Singapore announcement comes hot on the heels of Italy formally stating on 6 September 2013 that its SAMP/T units, deployed in the army base in Mantova, reached Full Operational Capability, and were ready to take operational missions ordered by NATO or by national authorities. Below is video of the the Anti-Tactical Ballistic Missile firing with the Aster-30: ATBM firing March 6th 2013 - Vimeo

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Announced today, Singapore's Minister of Defence has said that the air force will replace the I-Hawk with Aster-30 (which makes sense as the Singapore Navy is already a current user of the Aster-15 on the six Formidable class frigates). We are still awaiting further announcements on further upgrades to Singapore's IADS, possibly later in the year or early next.

MBDA ASTER 30 presentation - YouTube

This Singapore announcement comes hot on the heels of Italy formally stating on 6 September 2013 that its SAMP/T units, deployed in the army base in Mantova, reached Full Operational Capability, and were ready to take operational missions ordered by NATO or by national authorities. Below is video of the the Anti-Tactical Ballistic Missile firing with the Aster-30: ATBM firing March 6th 2013 - Vimeo
When I read this on other forum, I thought this to augment Aster-15 in Formidable. Read somewhere, that Formidable VLS can be modified for Aster-30. If this true, will the Navy then have plan for implementing Aster-30 ?

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Read somewhere, that Formidable VLS can be modified for Aster-30. If this true, will the Navy then have plan for implementing Aster-30 ?
It depends on which source you believe and it is important to know the difference between the different types of Sylver launchers:-

(i) 1x octuple A-43 (more than 4 metres deep) = 8x Aster 15
(ii) 1x octuple A-50 (more than 5 metres deep) = 8x Aster 15 or 30​

It is confirmed that the Aster-15s on the Formidable class are stowed in 32 Sylver cells. The question is:-

How many octuple A-50 cells are there on the Formidable class?​

It has been speculated by a Singaporean blogger (YF) that Singapore’s six Formidable frigates are installed with the following:-

(a) 2x octuple-A50 modules (i.e. up to 16x Aster 30 missiles); and
(b) 2x octuple-A43 modules (i.e. up to 16x Aster 15 missiles),​

in each frigate. If what YF speculates is true, then there is no need to modify the Formidable class to accept Aster-30s.

No point having a long range Aster-30 missile on a frigate, if your radar cannot see that far. The issue with loading up the Formidable class with Aster-30s is the limited radar range of the current Thales Herakles multi-function radar. These 3,200 ton frigates have a limited radar horizon for self-protection against sea-skimming missiles; and it only makes sense to load Aster-30s, if they are being cued by an off-boat sensor net (provided by things like the Seahawks, the MPAs or the G550 AEWs). Off-boat cuing is complicated, so not sure if this issue has been or can be solved by the Singapore Navy at this time.

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group
No point having a long range Aster-30 missile on a frigate, if your radar cannot see that far. The issue with loading up the Formidable class with Aster-30s is the limited radar range of the current Thales Herakles multi-function radar. These 3,200 ton frigates have a limited radar horizon for self-protection against sea-skimming missiles; and it only makes sense to load Aster-30s, if they are being cued by an off-boat sensor net (provided by things like the Seahawks, the MPAs or the G550 AEWs). Off-boat cuing is complicated, so not sure if this issue has been or can be solved by the Singapore Navy at this time.
Ahh I see. So Herakles is not provide enough coverage for Aster-30. Well, I ask the question since there are speculations in Singapore forum or media (sorry its been quite a while, forgot exactly which one), that talking about Herakles capabilities for supporting Aster-30. Thanks for the clarification.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
...Herakles is not provide enough coverage for Aster-30.
Sorry about the gross over-simplification of the capabilities of the Thales Herakles multi-function radar (on a 3,200 ton frigate with 32 Asters). It is a very capable system on a small ship with some blind spots. Let me try to answer it differently (so as to avoid being attacked by others):

Combining volume search with other tasks in a multi-function radar can result in either slow search rates or in lower overall quality per task or taking an 'air defence light' approach in the radar fit-out.​

Another way to look at the radar issue is see how the British Navy solved the same problem of air warfare on the Type 45 (on a 8,000 ton destroyer with 48 Asters). The Type 45 has both the Sampson multi-function radar and the Alenia Marconi Systems/Signaal S 1850M long-range 3D radar. The 1850M is used for volume search (which takes a lot of radar resources). Relieved of the need for volume search, the Sampson can focus on other critical tasks like targeting. Making the Type 45 'better' at air warfare, even though they use the same Aster missiles. Further, the radar masts on the Type 45 are also much higher providing better radar horizon coverage in self defence.

David Boey said:
Analysis of the Parliamentary reply by Minister for Defence Dr Ng Eng Hen

...His statement indicates that the I-HAWKS will remain in service in the interim (a no-brainer), as no time frame was mentioned for the Aster 30s to take over from the I-HAWKS.

The 70-km range Aster 30s will give the RSAF Air Defence and Operations Command (ADOC) the reach and killing power to enlarge the sphere of contested airspace around Singapore. To this Ground Based Air Defence System, one might add the contribution of the Republic of Singapore Navy's Aster 15s - a Sea Based Air Defence System? - which could further extend the outer edge of ADOC's range rings...

<snip>
"I would like to announce today that the SAF will also be acquiring the ASTER-30 Surface-to-Air Missile System. This missile defence system against airborne threats is used by advanced militaries such as France and Italy. The ASTER-30's capabilities are many times more potent than our current I-HAWK ground-based air defence system. The ASTER will allow us to engage multiple threats simultaneously and from a longer distance. It will complement the SPYDER, which we have already operationalised - it is a mobile, shorter-range, quick reaction ground-based air defence system - and together, they will provide a layered air defence shield.

The RSAF will also be looking to upgrade its fighter fleet. We plan to upgrade our F-16s to modernise their avionics and extend their lifespan. Our F-15SGs were recently acquired and have proven themselves in recent multilateral military exercises with advanced Air Forces like those from the US and Australia during Exercise Cope Tiger and Exercise Pitch Black. Also, as announced at the Committee of Supply in March this year, we are evaluating the suitability of advanced multi-role F-35 Joint Strike Fighters in meeting our long-term security needs to further modernise our fighter fleet and replace our older aircraft...

...In 2011, MINDEF and the SAF conducted a thorough assessment of our capabilities and security threats for the long term. We satisfied ourselves that our security would not be compromised and that relocation of PLAB could take place after existing airbases at Changi East (CAB) and Tengah (TAB) have been expanded to accommodate relocated assets and facilities.

The expansion of Changi Air Base and Tengah Air Base will be necessary to house relocated fighter and support squadrons as well as accommodate facilities currently housed in PLAB. As members would recognise, this undertaking is complex but the RSAF will use this opportunity to build anew through innovative operational concepts and advanced airbase designs, and this will enhance the effectiveness and resilience of our air bases. Newly expanded and improved airbases together with advanced fighter fleets protected by a multi-layered air defence shield will ensure that the RSAF maintains its deterrent edge and continues to be an effective and formidable Air Force.

PLAB's relocation will be a long-term and complex undertaking. MINDEF will be working closely with MND on the detailed planning and implementation of the relocation over the next two decades. Thank you."

For details, see the link to the Fact Sheet on the ASTER-30 Missile System.

AFP said:
16 September 2013 -- The ASTER-30 system, used by countries like France and Italy, is expected to provide the city-state with an anti-missile and anti-aircraft range of up to 70 kilometers (43.5 miles), Singapore’s defense ministry said....

...Singapore has the largest defense budget in Southeast Asia, thanks to public funds generated by its phenomenal economic growth. It has set aside SG$12.34 billion (US$9.79 billion) for defense in 2013, up from SG$11.83 billion in 2012, according to official data...

<snip>

Last edited:

SGMilitary

It depends on which source you believe and it is important to know the difference between the different types of Sylver launchers:-

(i) 1x octuple A-43 (more than 4 metres deep) = 8x Aster 15
(ii) 1x octuple A-50 (more than 5 metres deep) = 8x Aster 15 or 30​

It is confirmed that the Aster-15s on the Formidable class are stowed in 32 Sylver cells. The question is:-

How many octuple A-50 cells are there on the Formidable class?​

It has been speculated by a Singaporean blogger (YF) that Singapore’s six Formidable frigates are installed with the following:-

(a) 2x octuple-A50 modules (i.e. up to 16x Aster 30 missiles); and
(b) 2x octuple-A43 modules (i.e. up to 16x Aster 15 missiles),​

in each frigate. If what YF speculates is true, then there is no need to modify the Formidable class to accept Aster-30s.

I beg to differ.
If you had read through several defense websites, the Formidable FFG are fitted with 32 Slyver A-50 VLs.
It was also mentioned that these Frigates are already armed with Aster 30.
The Herakles radar have a detection range of 250KM.
The French Navy selected similar radar for their FREMM frigates but with an improvement series called Herakles II which SG will likely follows.
Nonetheless, till now; both the RSN and MBDA decline to comment if the Formidable Frigates are equipped with Aster 30.
Possibly due to regional sensitivity, the RSN may instead take the announcement by SG Defence Minister to officially states that these Frigates are indeed armed with Aster 30.

Best Regards.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Further to the Minister of Defence's 2013 announcement on upgrading Singapore's Vipers, on 14 January 2014 DefenseNews reported that Singapore may spend up to US$2.43 billion to modernize its F-16 fighter jets. This upgrade has been expected since September 2013, when Singapore's Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen has said in a speech to Parliament that - among other things - Singapore will be upgrading its 60-strong fleet of Lockheed-Martin F-16C/D fighters to "modernise their avionics and extend their lifespan" (the Baseleg has more details from his 2013 discussion, here). This means that even the F-16C/Ds in US with the 425th Fighter Squadron, used for training would get the upgrades (AESA radar + JHMCS II). This provides a common support and training pipeline for all RSAF pilots and maintenance crew, which will result in cost savings in the sustain portion (of the three part raise, train and sustain equation) in the long run (see these videos for the different AESA radar solutions: [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjG6aUElwbk"]RACR F-16 Fighter Mission - YouTube[/nomedia] and [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZnrtB9rRT8"]SABR AESA Radar for the F-16 - YouTube[/nomedia]).

What is new in this US announcement is the testing and integration of the Sensor Fused Weapon, for the F-16 fleet. Other significant aspects of the upgrade package for the 60 F-16C/D/D+ planned, as reported in an announcement by the Defense Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA), includes:-

(i) AESA Radars
(ii) APX-125 Advanced Identification Friend or Foe Combined Interrogator Transponders
(iii) JHMCS
(iv) CBU-105 (D-4)/B Sensor Fused Weapons for testing and integration
(v) TGM-65G Maverick Missiles for testing and integration
(vi) GBU-38 Joint Direct Attack Munitions for testing and integration​

Thanks to DSTA, the Singapore Armed Forces has a great reputation as a discerning buyer of military equipment. Therefore it is regarded by the defence industry as an index customer (for the winner of this upgrade F-16s contract) despite its modest fleet size, when compared to other F-16 users in Asia like Korea or Taiwan, who announced upgrades to their fleet, earlier.

With respect to the air-to-air capabilities of the F-16C/D/D+ fleet, the planned upgrades with an AESA radar will increase their ability get the first shot-off with the AIM-120C7 AMRAAM (see the April 2013 DSCA announcement on this item) in beyond-visual range combat. Their capabilities at within visual range combat have also been enhanced with the new JHMCS II (that replaces the older 10 year old DASH) and AIM-9X-2 Sidewinder missile (see the April 2013, DSCA announcement on this item).

By way of background, this latest announcement of the F-16C/D/D+upgrade for Singapore comes after the April 2013 report that the RSAF will re-engine 7 F-16s in its fleet by 2014 (with the F100-PW-229 EEP). I note that Singapore's F-16C/Ds were delivered from 1998, with the oldest around 15 to 16 years old.

h/t to weasel1962 and who for posting on this news first.

Last edited:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
TheBaseLeg said:
Report: Singapore has signed for 6 Airbus A330 MRTT tanker-transports

French aviation magazine Air and Cosmos has reported that Singapore has reportedly signed for six Airbus A330 MRTT (Multi-Role Tanker Transports) in 2013. Neither Airbus Defence and Space nor Singapore have commented on the reports. If true, Singapore will become the fifth nation to operate the A330 MRTT, after the UK, Australia, UAE and Saudi Arabia. France has also been reported to be on the verge of buying the type, along with India.

There are rumours that the MoU signed between Airbus and Singapore to be conditional upon Airbus sorting out the issues with the refueling boom and mission planning system, among others. Problems with the boom have dogged the MRTT's development, and is not expected to be solved until late this year at the earliest. This has prevented the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) from declaring Full Operational Capability with the type, which operates five aircraft, known as the KC-30A in RAAF service.

<snip>
Mike has a report on his blog with regard to this latest acquisition in Singapore's search for a new tanker, which I note has not been confirmed by MINDEF. See his blog and Air and Cosmos for details.

t68

Mike has a report on his blog with regard to this latest acquisition in Singapore's search for a new tanker, which I note has not been confirmed by MINDEF. See his blog and Air and Cosmos for details.
I see that it’s conditional that Airbus sort out the problems with the boom, any idea when that is supposed to happen?

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
I see that it’s conditional that Airbus sort out the problems with the boom, any idea when that is supposed to happen?
I am not sure when the issues relating to the Aerial Refuelling Boom System (ARBS) will be resolved. The testing by Airbus for the fix for the ARBS may take sometime (i.e. I vaguely remember that it will not be fixed earlier than end of 2014). It is mission critical for the RSAF that the ARBS works as intended.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ85R_CZ2v4"]Aerial Refuelling Boom System (ARBS) - YouTube[/nomedia]

Last edited:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
It appears that Singapore has finally confirmed that it has purchased the A330 MRTT.

Singapore confirms A330 MRTT order; additional two S-70 Seahawks - by Mike Yeo

The Singapore Armed Forces: Protecting Singapore in 2030 - by David Boey
Thanks for the update and I've fixed the blog links for you.

In a speech in Parliament, at Committee of Supply Debate 2014, Dr Ng Eng Hen, Minister for Defence, announced the new A330 MRTT acquisition. Airbus Defence and Space has a press release out too: Singapore selects Airbus Defence and Space A330 Multi-Role Tanker Transport.

Would love to see you post here more often.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am not sure when the issues relating to the Aerial Refuelling Boom System (ARBS) will be resolved. The testing by Airbus for the fix for the ARBS may take sometime (i.e. I vaguely remember that it will not be fixed earlier than end of 2014). It is mission critical for the RSAF that the ARBS works as intended.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ85R_CZ2v4"]Aerial Refuelling Boom System (ARBS) - YouTube[/nomedia]
According to Airbus, work on the new control laws, known as Boom Upgrade 3, have been completed and the final certification and qualification process is underway. See the link to news report below for details.
ANDREW CHUTER said:
Airbus Defence To Test-Fly Upgraded A330 Tanker in 2016

10 June 2014 -- The military aircraft arm of Airbus Defence and Security will start test-flying an enhanced version of the A330 MRTT tanker transport in the second half of 2016 and intends to adopt the new standard with the delivery of the first platform to Singapore, its latest customer.

Updating reporters on the A330 program’s progress, Caramazana said the new package of military modifications will include upgrades to mission systems, refueling boom control laws, decluttering the boom visual systems and mission planning systems. Installation of the IFF Mode 5 will make the aircraft compatible with the civil regulations involving ADS-B.

Other upgrades relate to changes being made to computers, avionics, and the structural and aerodynamics of the basic green airframe being built by Airbus for airliner and military customers. The aerodynamic modifications relate primarily to changes to the slats and flaps on the wing. Caramazana said the wing changes will bring small but worthwhile improvements in fuel efficiency. Conversion of an MRTT Enhanced prototype is planned to start in October of next year with the flight test program getting underway in July the following year. Singapore will be the first customer for the update and all future deliveries after late 2017 will receive the new configuration.

Aircraft are in service with Australia, Britain, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates. The A330 secured a contract from Singapore earlier this year and Airbus is in final negotiations with Qatar, France and India.

... <snip>
All in all an interesting news update on the latest developments on the A330MRTT, with more information at the Defense News link provided above.

swerve

Super Moderator
Looking at the RSAF, I see it's still flying the C-130H & KC-130B/H. Are there any plans to replace them, or are they just being refurbished & kept on?

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looking at the RSAF, I see it's still flying the C-130H & KC-130B/H. Are there any plans to replace them, or are they just being refurbished & kept on?
In March 2007, ST Aerospace was awarded a contract to modernise and standardise Singapore's fleet of ten C-130 aircraft till 2014. C-130 system upgrades included newer auxiliary power units and other improvements. The first upgraded C-130 was redelivered in September 2010.

I previously posted on this in September 2010 but I have refreshed some of the prior broken links here.
In March 2007, ST Aerospace announced it was awarded a contract from RSAF to modernise and standardise its fleet of 10 C-130 transport aircraft. The contract is scheduled to be stretched over seven years, and involves the modernisation of the C130's avionic systems to meet evolving GATM requirements. Work on the second and third C130 aircraft has commenced and is currently at the modification phase. Both aircraft are expected to complete ground testing by this year.

Through this upgrade, ST Aerospace helps the RSAF keep Singapore's C-130 fleet flying for another 20 years:

1977: RSAF acquired 2 second hand C-130s from the United States Air Force
1978: 2 more second hand C-130s were acquired from the Jordanian Air Force
1980: start of the delivery of 6 new C-130Hs were ordered directly from Lockheed and RSAF's 122 Squadron was officially inaugurated
From July 2013 to 2015, a similar upgrade was also done for three C-130 aircraft from the Royal Air Force of Oman.

These modernised C-130s also have six-display digital glass cockpits, with a Rockwell Collins avionics upgrade featuring enhanced main instrument panels, hydraulic displays, ergonomic man-machine interfaces and night-vision goggle compatible lightings, plus Northrop Grumman's AN/APN-241 low-power color weather and navigation radar. The newly re-delivered C-130 aircraft are Global Air Traffic Management compliant. The service life of these upgraded aircraft was extended by another 20 years from redelivery.

Last edited:

Joe Black

Boeing completes deliveries of F-15SG jets to Singapore

Boeing completes deliveries of F-15SG jets to Singapore

"Singapore, which is very secretive regarding its military, has also not disclosed the number of F-15SGs it has acquired, although a count of the airframes seen so far would indicate that it has 40 aircraft if these latest eight are included. "

===========

I wonder if RSAF will give F-15SG a mid-life upgrade and turn them into F-15 2040C.

Would be a quantum leap for the Eagles when coupled with the Silent Eagles conformal weapon bays