New Zealand Army

RegR

Mentioned at the end of the Prime Minister briefing today is an unusual deployment for a pair of LAVs. They are checking a flood damaged road route to Gisborne to see if it can support a larger water treatment plant too large to come via air. It’s unclear if this a different route to the one where limited truck convoys are coming though. Presumably it may require a bit of debris clearance and they will have blades fitted.

At the 9.40 mark. I haven’t seen this quoted in other media yet.

Route recce has civilian applications, handy. Ive seen a video of them rolling through rural HB, the locals were surprised to say the least due to no comms with the outside world at that stage but very appreciative.

Bloke

Interesting to see the Unimogs still doing their thing. Saw an image the other day of with the old black number plates out delivering aid or doing rescues. That would be one of the first ones delivered in '83 or '84. 40 years ago! That was a year or so before I got out. They've certainly provided vfm, more so than I ever did.
I'm feeling old.

RegR

Interesting to see the Unimogs still doing their thing. Saw an image the other day of with the old black number plates out delivering aid or doing rescues. That would be one of the first ones delivered in '83 or '84. 40 years ago! That was a year or so before I got out. They've certainly provided vfm, more so than I ever did.
I'm feeling old.
So much for their replacements, at this rate the replacements will need replacing. Funny thing is they're not getting any younger.

By all accounts the "new" HXs are still not as capable for this type of work as the old mogs, testament to their uniqueness. I'm sure/hope when they finally, FINALLY, do replace the remaining unimogs (@200) with the GATS project they give a few to some strategically placed councils around the country as emergency response vehicles, better yet justify some new builds. An awesome vehicle that just keeps on keeping on and proving it's worth and yes VFM!

Bloke

So much for their replacements, at this rate the replacements will need replacing. Funny thing is they're not getting any younger.

By all accounts the "new" HXs are still not as capable for this type of work as the old mogs, testament to their uniqueness. I'm sure/hope when they finally, FINALLY, do replace the remaining unimogs (@200) with the GATS project they give a few to some strategically placed councils around the country as emergency response vehicles, better yet justify some new builds. An awesome vehicle that just keeps on keeping on and proving it's worth and yes VFM!
Those MHOV seem notable for their absence alright. Perhaps they're too precious to use, might get dirty or scratched..

RegR

Those MHOV seem notable for their absence alright. Perhaps they're too precious to use, might get dirty or scratched..
Apparently just cannot handle the water features as well. Bit like my old 4x4, I would happily take into water and happily let the water ride over the bonnet, I am less courageous in my new wagon. KISS comes to mind and the newer gear has all the bells and whistles that makes everything else a dream, they're just adverse to getting swamped upto the hilt.

recce.k1

Route recce has civilian applications, handy. Ive seen a video of them rolling through rural HB, the locals were surprised to say the least due to no comms with the outside world at that stage but very appreciative.
NZDF has released a video of the LAV's going off-road (and on some former hillside roads that now look uncomfortably narrow and somewhat unstable)!

Edit: Also demonstrates the practicality of having "light" vehicles in the Army's inventory (weight wise, relatively speaking), when operating in confined spaces.

Last edited:

recce.k1

Have copied NG's post from the current British Army thread.
By all accounts its an ideal weapons system even if it's aging. It mightn't be able to take out modern MBTs but it still can incapacitate them, knockout structures , knock holes in buildings, machine gun nests etc. The NZ Army has both it and Javelin.
Curious fact, although it doesn't show up in public information (eg NZDF websites etc) the NZ Army also operates the M72A6 LAW (apparently same variant as our Australian Army cousins).

Someone OIA'ed this (and as per NZ Govt directives details of weaponry within the NZDF are deliberately scant i.e. "Quantities of weapons and ammunition held by the NZDF, and specific information that would provide insight of the capability of the NZDF , are withheld in full to avoid prejudice to the security and defence of New Zealand in accordance with section 6(a) of the OIA. Information that may be available on Wikipedia may be provided through a number of sources and is not endorsed by the NZDF".

However the Army has shown it during training practices!

Shanesworld

Have copied NG's post from the current British Army thread.

Curious fact, although it doesn't show up in public information (eg NZDF websites etc) the NZ Army also operates the M72A6 LAW (apparently same variant as our Australian Army cousins).

Someone OIA'ed this (and as per NZ Govt directives details of weaponry within the NZDF are deliberately scant i.e. "Quantities of weapons and ammunition held by the NZDF, and specific information that would provide insight of the capability of the NZDF , are withheld in full to avoid prejudice to the security and defence of New Zealand in accordance with section 6(a) of the OIA. Information that may be available on Wikipedia may be provided through a number of sources and is not endorsed by the NZDF".

However the Army has shown it during training practices!
Yeah m72is still an important tool. Every soldier will get a go on at least 1 or a couple sub calibre training rounds during basic.

Whereas the 84mm was not for the last ten years or so. The sub cal round on the 84 is pretty much a rifle round and not as..... Emotional as the real thing. But the 72 sub cal. is a lot closer to a real 72.

M72's are more for structures or light vehicles or you just dont have any thing else.

Never been close to a javelin firing so dont know anything there. Just used the sim and didnt know what i was doing.

recce.k1

Any thoughts from anyone on this new plan?

Australia, New Zealand sign army cooperation deal Australia, New Zealand sign army cooperation deal.
Some more info here:

Talking about better interoperability where are the Bushmaster PMV's? Originally slated for Dec then March/April delivery.

Unless the new DefMin is going to surprise us next week (ANZAC Day) bursting onto the scene in one Rambo styles posing with the .50cal on the roof hatch (well it is a true fact that his msm nickname is "Angry Andy" I could almost picture it if he got wound up). :D

Shanesworld

Some more info here:

Talking about better interoperability where are the Bushmaster PMV's? Originally slated for Dec then March/April delivery.

Unless the new DefMin is going to surprise us next week (ANZAC Day) bursting onto the scene in one Rambo styles posing with the .50cal on the roof hatch (well it is a true fact that his msm nickname is "Angry Andy" I could almost picture it if he got wound up). :D
Pmv- late may/early june i think. First 6 or 12. Cant remember the story but something like that.

Lucasnz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Confirmation that the Mistral system has been completely disposed of: ODT Information request. Short sighted decision that was representative of the issues facing procurement at the time of acquistion. Guess they'll have to reinvent the wheel given the learnings from Ukraine.

recce.k1

Confirmation that the Mistral system has been completely disposed of: ODT Information request. Short sighted decision that was representative of the issues facing procurement at the time of acquistion. Guess they'll have to reinvent the wheel given the learnings from Ukraine.
So retired in August 2012 ... can kind of see back then (post Defence White Paper 2010, RAMSI Solomon Islands peace keeping, supporting ISAF in Afghanistan, pre-the joint ANZAC commitment to training Iraqi troops against ISIS etc) that conflicts of the time didn't involve countering air threats.

But that was then and this is now and the world is now a much different place and will continue to be so including the need to counter air threats (which come in various forms to NZ's interests, let alone now including ubiquitous UAV's and loitering munitions etc)!

So would expect then to see this reassessed in some form, surely, as part of the defence review (the reference in the article "No alternatives or replacements for the Mistral were being investigated" appears to be past-tense i.e. post the Mistral disposal period)?

I guess this also answers the question that pops up from time to time on "we should be" sending our (non-existent) Mistral stocks to Ukraine ...

recce.k1

First Bushmaster NZ5.5s have arrived in Trentham.

Like the contrast with the smaller Pinzgauer they are replacing!

IIRC a respected Australian DefPro here has recently clarified they are not actually C-130 transportable due to weight distribution issues? Which may prove problematic deploying them rapidly to a South Pacific trouble spot (civil unrest). If so I suggest NZG is in a bit of a quandary here in terms of their Pacific focus (let allow something else in the wider Indo-Pacific region). Perhaps unless yet another protective vehicle is obtained that is slightly smaller and C-130J transportable (and how practical is that to keep procuring new vehicle capabilities and supporting yet another type)?

It feels like the Boeing 757 replacement project is currently described as a like-for-like replacement and is too far away in the future, ideally its scope needs to be widened to also include two types of replacement aircraft, ramped and non-ramped, or better still instigate a (second) new project for a larger ramp type aircraft (eg C-2 or A400M) and bring that project forward of the Boeing 757 replacement project asap (this will also be a good indication of the effectiveness of the Defence Review if it recommends this or not). Otherwise we may repeat the previous C-17 acquisition fiasco (trying to make a ramped replacement aircraft fit into the need to also retain a non-ramped pax/cargo capability which Treasury/NZG were reluctant to support). Basically the ADF did this, their C-17 acquisitions came about from replacing their older ramped C-130's (and had nothing to do with the Boeing 707 replacement project with the A330 MRTT).

Anyway perhaps I shouldn't be sidetracking the good news, the Bushmasters are a welcome and timely addition to the NZ Army!

Redlands18

IIRC a respected Australian DefPro here has recently clarified they are not actually C-130 transportable due to weight distribution issues? Which may prove problematic deploying them rapidly to a South Pacific trouble spot (civil unrest). If so I suggest NZG is in a bit of a quandary here in terms of their Pacific focus (let allow something else in the wider Indo-Pacific region). Perhaps unless yet another protective vehicle is obtained that is slightly smaller and C-130J transportable (and how practical is that to keep procuring new vehicle capabilities and supporting yet another type)?

It feels like the Boeing 757 replacement project is currently described as a like-for-like replacement and is too far away in the future, ideally its scope needs to be widened to also include two types of replacement aircraft, ramped and non-ramped, or better still instigate a (second) new project for a larger ramp type aircraft (eg C-2 or A400M) and bring that project forward of the Boeing 757 replacement project asap (this will also be a good indication of the effectiveness of the Defence Review if it recommends this or not). Otherwise we may repeat the previous C-17 acquisition fiasco (trying to make a ramped replacement aircraft fit into the need to also retain a non-ramped pax/cargo capability which Treasury/NZG were reluctant to support). Basically the ADF did this, their C-17 acquisitions came about from replacing their older ramped C-130's (and had nothing to do with the Boeing 707 replacement project with the A330 MRTT).

Anyway perhaps I shouldn't be sidetracking the good news, the Bushmasters are a welcome and timely addition to the NZ Army!
Thales Australia: Well if the Bushmasters won't fit on the C-130s, can we interest you in a 100 or so Hawkeii's.

swerve

Super Moderator

... a larger ramp type aircraft (eg C-2 or A400M) ...

I have no idea whether the reported problem with transporting them by C-130 is real, but another possible alternative transport is the C-390. It's not in the same class as C-2 or A400M, but Embraer says it can carry more than the C-130, & it may not have the same weight distribution issues.

Not proposing it as the solution to the RNZAF's needs, just as something probably cheaper to buy & operate than C-2 or A400M which might possibly worth looking at if there's a need that the C-130J doesn't meet. IF.

Gibbo

A good look inside the new Bushmasters.

Our DefMin "Angry" Andy seems very contented (must be thinking about what he could do to his detractors with one of these??)!

Source.

(See, he can pop out of the hatch with the MG "Rambo styles")!
Crikey looking at the bods to the side they are quite a large vehicle...I guess they're truck height after all. Interesting that the Comms weren't ordered as an integral part of the purchase <sigh> & that this cost is now another $80 odd million... for 43 units that's almost $2m per unit... wow! Still... finally Army getting the right kit... even though not a 1:1 replacement as is always the case. Good purchase!

RegR

Crikey looking at the bods to the side they are quite a large vehicle...I guess they're truck height after all. Interesting that the Comms weren't ordered as an integral part of the purchase <sigh> & that this cost is now another $80 odd million... for 43 units that's almost $2m per unit... wow! Still... finally Army getting the right kit... even though not a 1:1 replacement as is always the case. Good purchase!
Comms never usually are in fleets like this as that is something fitted in country with country specific kit ie we do not use the exact same kit as even Australia WRT communications. Also considering army is currently going through a refresh in this whole arena it would potentially end up being replaced anyway so ultimately a waste of money.

We have options for 15 more bushmasters which would have been good to exercise for added/expanded options but I also still feel we need a type in the hawkei (size) range, not nesscessarily the hawkei itself as apparently it's still having a few issues, even now, but something at least similar for weapons carriers, liaison, scout etc. Also the bonus would be definately fitting inside the hercs, in pairs even.