New Zealand Army

Nighthawk.NZ

Supacat eyes NZDF for HMT-U vehicle - Australian Defence Magazine
Supacat have announced the HMT-U as their contender for the PMCP Phase 1 requirement to replace the Unimog and unarmoured Pinzgauers.
NZDF explores C4I options for new Bushmasters

Gee I would have thought that was already sorted .... silly me for thinking that...

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

Gee I would have thought that was already sorted .... silly me for thinking that...
Yep I laughed because you're assuming that the pollies are logical. We know that ain't possible. :D

I do have copy of the RFI and the ADM doesn't add anything.
Seems kind of flawed having a vehicle with a 4 person capacity when fireteams can be u

I saw videos from the war in Afghanistan where MRAPS and Humvees would be manned with 4-5 people, a fireteam sized element. I heard about Lithuania buying 300 more JLTVs, saw videos from Ukraine of people operating from civilian vehicles, MRAPs and Humvees in groups of 4-5. Australia's introducing the Hawkei (a 4-6 seater) alongside the Bushmaster. I'm just wondering why New Zealand doesn't do that, and if there's a doctrinal reason why its not necessary or what. Something a little smaller than a bushmaster with doors for all occupants is what I have in mind. These vehicles seem to be used in frontline infantry service, not just as liason vehicles.
We do have to be careful when using the Ukrainian army's recent strategies and tactics against the Russian VDV in their eastern and southern advances. The Ukrainians are fighting a demoralised, ill-equipped, very badly lead army that has very poor logistics. So that tends to queer the pitch somewhat. Now if / when we come up against an enemy who knows what they are doing, we won't be so lucky. There are many lessons being taught by this war and we have to be careful to ensure that we learn the right ones.

At some time in the future we could end up fighting the PLA-GF and the PLAN Marines. They to will have been paying very close attention to the Russo Ukrainian War and learning lessons from it. Whilst they haven't fought a war since 1979 / 80, and they have a corruption problem, they don't have the same logistics problems that the Russians have. They also have moved from basing their formations on the Soviet model to basing them on the current US Army model. They also appear to have a stronger NCO cadre than the Russians, basing their NCOs more along the lines of western NCOs. However, they have political officers who out rank military officers of the same rank, and all soldiers are subjected to political education. The PLA is NOT the Chinese Armed Forces - it is the military wing of the CCP and always has been. It's first loyalty is always to the CCP, never to the Head Of State or the Chinese people.

In 1999 - 2000 the NZ Army has pushed towards peace keeping by Clark Labour govt at the expense of its warfighting capability. Not much has changed since then and it like the RNZN & RNZAF has suffered from significant underinvestment and reduction in capabilities. In some aspects I get the impression that the NZ Army collective mind still thinks that its chasing Rommel across the desert and Kesselring up Italy, when in fact it should be flat out preparing for Pacific maritime warfare which is amphibious. That's where our focus is now and the Army is woefully unprepared for it, like the rest of NZDF.

Saw a NZ Army Colonel in a video report on Euronaval 2022. Interesting to see an army officer especially at a naval expo. Couldn't see many other non-naval officers there. Possibly a shift in the army to focus on amphibious capabilities?

IMG_2736.jpg

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Saw a NZ Army Colonel in a video report on Euronaval 2022. Interesting to see an army officer especially at a naval expo. Couldn't see many other non-naval officers there. Possibly a shift in the army to focus on amphibious capabilities?

View attachment 49784
Haha, I saw him as well and thought well that's a waste of time :D But seriously with all the extras he's wearing he could be the London or Paris based Defence Attaché, and it would be part of his brief to go and be nosey. NZDF is quite joint in a lot of aspects so he may have some knowledge. There probably would be a RNZN officer lurking around there somewhere - I hope so. Whilst he's there maybe he should visit Slovakia and have a real nosey of their Zuzanna 2 SPG.

Haha, I saw him as well and thought well that's a waste of time :D But seriously with all the extras he's wearing he could be the London or Paris based Defence Attaché, and it would be part of his brief to go and be nosey. NZDF is quite joint in a lot of aspects so he may have some knowledge. There probably would be a RNZN officer lurking around there somewhere - I hope so. Whilst he's there maybe he should visit Slovakia and have a real nosey of their Zuzanna 2 SPG.
Yeah Defence Attaché was one of my thoughts but a bit of a waste to send him there. A naval officer would be more useful.

Any reason for preference of Zuzana over let's say CAESAR? Could be a good visit since Euronaval is being held in France. Caesar has the versatility to be carried by C-130 (not sure about Zuzana) and we can benefit from French R&D which is continually upgrading the system.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Any reason for preference of Zuzana over let's say CAESAR? Could be a good visit since Euronaval is being held in France. Caesar has the versatility to be carried by C-130 (not sure about Zuzana) and we can benefit from French R&D which is continually upgrading the system.
The French have a habit of overcharging. :D Really simple actually. The crew in the Zuzana2 are protected at all times, so don't have to be in the open to operate the gun. The 155mm x 52 cal gun on the Zuzana2 is in a turret in the centre of the truck, it carries 40 rounds and charges, and it has an automatic loader all under cover. It may be a bit big for the C-130 because it's 3.52m high and weighs 32.4 tonne. But that's not a deal breaker. We should also be looking at the Hanwha K239 Chunmoo MLRS because it offers greater versatility and VfM than the M142 HIMARS. It's also cheaper.

STURM

There is also the Slovakian Eva. A fully automatic lorry mounted system. Looks lighter and less bulkier than Zuzana. Yes the French have a habit of being expensive; not only with actual unit costs but with spares and support too.

Attachments

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
There is also the Slovakian Eva. A fully automatic lorry mounted system. Looks lighter and less bulkier than Zuzana. Yes the French have a habit of being expensive; not only with actual unit costs but with spares and support too.
The Eva defeats the purpose because the gun itself is in the open, so us susceptible to damage from flying bits of metal and debris, as well as weather.

STURM

That's true but at least the crew isn't out in the open. No doubt having a gun exposed to the elements its far from ideal but then the same would also apply to Caesar and towed arty. The question is whether the gun would have been designed in such a way if being exposed to dust, snow, rain and heat really is damaging in the short term without preventive maintenance?

For me another question is what is the likelihood of a fully automatic system breaking down and whether it can be fixed with as little grief as possible in the field.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
That's true but at least the crew isn't out in the open. No doubt having a gun exposed to the elements its far from ideal but then the same would also apply to Caesar and towed arty. The question is whether the gun would have been designed in such a way if being exposed to dust, snow, rain and heat really is damaging in the short term without preventive maintenance?

For me another question is what is the likelihood of a fully automatic system breaking down and whether it can be fixed with as little grief as possible in the field.
Yep, but I wasn't just referring to the wind blown dust and dirt, but at things like bullets, shrapnel and other nasties that fly though the air at an exceedingly high rate of knots due to something going bang. WRT quick field repairs, I presume that they would be able to do so.

recce.k1

Recent informative article by Australian Defence Magazine looking at Tranche Two of the Network Enabled Army (NEA) program. One of the requirements are for military off-the-shelf (MOTS) UAS systems.

The requirements for NEA Tranche Two demand proven, MOTS solutions that are interoperable with New Zealand’s Five Eyes partners. The aircraft will integrate into the New Zealand Army’s new battle management system (BMS) Sitaware, to which they’ll be expected to provide targeting and location information. The larger unmanned aircraft are also required to have the capability to mount a laser-designator, allowing the aircraft to lase targets in support of allied precision strike operations.

Four distinct categories of equipment are being procured through the program which will massively expand and overhaul the New Zealand Army’s UAS fleet. According to a Request for Proposal (RFP) released in May this year the program will also support other NZDF service acquisition programs. The RFP itself covers the procurement of four distinct subsystems:

Two-Four “sets” of Fixed Wing or Hybrid UAS; 30-40 Nano UAS; 18-30 Micro UAS, and 30-40 Remote Ground Sensors.
ADM then puts some potential options forward such as the Insitu Pacific RQ-21 Integrator, Textron Systems Aerosonde / Aerosonde HQ, and Shield-AI V-BAT. (The ADF is acquiring the RQ-21 so could the NZDF follow suit)?

Be curious as to how they would be allocated eg between Artillery, Infantry or presumably the Intelligence, IT and Communications Trades (also kind of curious from a recruiting perspective as with the war in Ukraine bringing UAS's into the public domain more)?

In terms of the proposed Remote Ground Systems does any know if that is meaning eg terminals or the likes of "unattended ground systems" (like this one for example)?

SP_viewer

Quick question, I haven't been able to find an answer anywhere, is the 3rd Reserve Company a reserve unit? I've been assuming it's just like the 38th CSC, but I haven't been able to find any solid evidence. Cheers for the help.

kiwi in exile

Recent informative article by Australian Defence Magazine looking at Tranche Two of the Network Enabled Army (NEA) program. One of the requirements are for military off-the-shelf (MOTS) UAS systems.

ADM then puts some potential options forward such as the Insitu Pacific RQ-21 Integrator, Textron Systems Aerosonde / Aerosonde HQ, and Shield-AI V-BAT. (The ADF is acquiring the RQ-21 so could the NZDF follow suit)?

Be curious as to how they would be allocated eg between Artillery, Infantry or presumably the Intelligence, IT and Communications Trades (also kind of curious from a recruiting perspective as with the war in Ukraine bringing UAS's into the public domain more)?

In terms of the proposed Remote Ground Systems does any know if that is meaning eg terminals or the likes of "unattended ground systems" (like this one for example)?
Releted...
the latest army news states that we are trialing a 40mm loitering munition with a range of 20kms and endurance of 40mins.
The Drone 40- and Aussie product.

htbrst

Mentioned at the end of the Prime Minister briefing today is an unusual deployment for a pair of LAVs. They are checking a flood damaged road route to Gisborne to see if it can support a larger water treatment plant too large to come via air. It’s unclear if this a different route to the one where limited truck convoys are coming though. Presumably it may require a bit of debris clearance and they will have blades fitted.

At the 9.40 mark. I haven’t seen this quoted in other media yet.

RegR

How could it be when we have none of the vehicles in country yet? We do not use the same radio systems as the Aussies so they dont come pre-fitted and so just like the pinzgauers they actually need to be here first so the team in Trentham can fit them according to other considerations unique to NZ, the other tech involved and the new vehicles. They dont just mount things willy nilly or sit them on the floor/dash/roof and gone are the days of duct tape and bungy chord soloutions.

The added fact that all army C2 capability is about to be replaced over the next few years will also complicate the process as even the basic comms set up will be different to current set up now.