New Zealand Army

steve33

Insurgent leaders admit they were in Afghanistan village raided during NZ SAS's Operation Burnham

You can see why the villagers pulled out of the inquiry a few days ago the whole thing is starting to unravel.

The military and New Zealand government have known since 2010 who killed Lieutenant O,Donnell it's a shame they didn't keep the NZSAS on the hunt i wouldn't have stopped until i had nabbed them.

I remember reading a report where the New Zealand defense force said they used loud speakers to warn the villagers of the raid because they wanted to avoid civilian casualties and you never hear the critics of the NZSAS acknowledging that.

The insurgents are running their mouths about how they got away because they know how to escape the reality is if the NZSAS had not used the loudspeakers there is a good chance those insurgents would have been in the bag.

How often would you see special operations forces use loud speakers out of concern for avoiding civilian casualties giving away the element of surprise the NZSAS have had their name dragged through the mud by certain individuals and it is good to finally see a more balanced story of what actually happened.

40 deg south

http://army.mil.nz/downloads/pdf/army-news/armynews503.pdf

The June issue of Army News now out.

Interesting small article on p17 about some new equipment for beach landings. NZDF appears to have invested in a couple of Caterpillar loaders, and a British roll-out roading system for getting across soft sand.

There is also mention of planning to receive some 'beach preparation and recovery vehicles' - almost certainly what the civilian world calls a 'bulldozer'.

I suspect there are a lot of smallish projects like this that would greatly increase the effectiveness of the NZDF, but somehow rarely get the priority they deserve. It's tempting to blame Treasury, but (as an occasional public servant) I suspect a lot of it comes down to questionable decision-making within NZDF and the MOD. A glamour project like 'Let's give everyone a new unique-to-NZ uniform' sucks attention and dollars away from more prosaic 'let's buy some well-proven civvy earth-moving equipment so our guys don't half kill themselves digging vehicles out of soft sand'.

Gough Cat

Over The Shore | FAUN Trackway

The specific items are linked above, as far as I can tell.

Cadredave

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
http://army.mil.nz/downloads/pdf/army-news/armynews503.pdf

The June issue of Army News now out.

Interesting small article on p17 about some new equipment for beach landings. NZDF appears to have invested in a couple of Caterpillar loaders, and a British roll-out roading system for getting across soft sand.

There is also mention of planning to receive some 'beach preparation and recovery vehicles' - almost certainly what the civilian world calls a 'bulldozer'.

I suspect there are a lot of smallish projects like this that would greatly increase the effectiveness of the NZDF, but somehow rarely get the priority they deserve. It's tempting to blame Treasury, but (as an occasional public servant) I suspect a lot of it comes down to questionable decision-making within NZDF and the MOD. A glamour project like 'Let's give everyone a new unique-to-NZ uniform' sucks attention and dollars away from more prosaic 'let's buy some well-proven civvy earth-moving equipment so our guys don't half kill themselves digging vehicles out of soft sand'.

Gough Cat

Over The Shore | FAUN Trackway

The specific items are linked above, as far as I can tell.
It has taken 5 Movt Coy along time to understand what is required from them as a part of CAN team previously 25ESS provided the front end loader beach layer capability you can imagine the internal politics between 2Engr Regt & Logistics Comd. New capability like this does not grow over night everyone is learning as we have never had a amphibious ship before I can only see it growing as I believe NZDF are still in the crawl phase regarding CAN. IMO it will change again when the extra LPD or LPH is brought into service and new learnings require new projects to purchase the correct equipment. New uniforms don't cost that much compared to the justification for 5 Movt Coy to be issued new equipment to assist them on board CAN for a role they and Navy are still coming to terms with.

Novascotiaboy

Excellent news. I like the reference to casualty evacuation.

A mix of Bushmasters and Hawkeis will enhance interoperability with Oz. The Polaris vehicles are amazing in their utility and ruggedness.

Another tip of my hat to Minister Marks.

Redlands18

Defence minister says $18m all-terrain vehicles approved

Light utility vehicles similar to the Polaris MRZR approved by cabinet, to replace quadbikes in service
and plan for replacement for the Pinz and Unimogs to be presented next year, possibility of used and new equipment. (refurbished bushmasters from aus like fiji got perhaps?)
Australia would probably have some low Mileage Bushmasters if they are interested, with over 1000 delivered there would nearly have to be some in storage. Probably get Mates rates.

Novascotiaboy

I am still of the mind that a number of existing NZLAVs should be de-turreted and repurposed as infantry section carriers, mortar carriers, command and ambulances. These would fit in a C130 and be of benefit in operations where 25 mm cannon is over kill. HMG and 40 mm GMG are more than capable of defeating any local armament in the hands of regular or irregular forces in the SP.

These along with the planned PMVs would significantly increase the flexibility of the NZ Army.

MrConservative

Super Moderator
Staff member
Defence minister says $18m all-terrain vehicles approved

Light utility vehicles similar to the Polaris MRZR approved by cabinet, to replace quadbikes in service
and plan for replacement for the Pinz and Unimogs to be presented next year, possibility of used and new equipment. (refurbished bushmasters from aus like fiji got perhaps?)
Going on what other comprehensive contracts the MRZR has completed recently that $18.6m should least get around 200+ examples.

Novascotiaboy

Is there a possibility that the DAGOR could be amongst the offerings in addition to the smaller MRAZ?

Canadian special forces JTF2 has acquired a significant number of these as well as the MRAZ.

KiwiRob

Going on what other comprehensive contracts the MRZR has completed recently that $18.6m should least get around 200+ examples.
The US Marines bought 144 MRZR-Ds for $2.5m USD, $18.6m NZD would almost be enough for one MRZR for each infantryman. The $18.6m must also include the 43 Protected Vehicle Mediums.

MrConservative

Super Moderator
Staff member
The US Marines bought 144 MRZR-Ds for $2.5m USD, $18.6m NZD would almost be enough for one MRZR for each infantryman. The $18.6m must also include the 43 Protected Vehicle Mediums.
Lativa paid $500000 for the first tranche of 18 with the spares, support, training, manuals, misc equipment etc over 5 years and will spend Eur 6.8m for 130. Note the phrase "comprehensive contract" in my #1649 post. Are you certain that even as a MDE article only Polaris sold the MRZR-D for just $17K per unit. That would be an interesting contract to dig deeper into if that was the case.

40 deg south

Is there a possibility that the DAGOR could be amongst the offerings in addition to the smaller MRAZ?

Canadian special forces JTF2 has acquired a significant number of these as well as the MRAZ.
Anything is possible, I guess. The Minister's release only talks of vehicles 'like' the MRZR.

It's an interesting change in approach - the previous government would only put out a media release once the contract was signed and sealed, e.g. the LMT rifles, T-6 aircraft etc. The current incumbent has gone public with a statement of intent on the C-130Js and now light transport vehicles before any paperwork has been done. Have to hope it doesn't screw up out bargaining position in price negotiations.

As per Mr C and others, the NZ price will almost certainly include a whole-of-life support contract, which could well exceed the actual per-unit cost of the vehicles.

pea032

My understanding is the $18.6 million is for the purchase of High Mobility Utility Vehicles and the risk trials and risk reduction work to support future Protected Mobility procurements - how much that last part is the question

milliGal

The July edition of Army News has a pretty comprehensive breakdown of the new kit in their soldier modernisation programme.

It also has a small piece on the first phase of the Protected Mobility Capability project. The Polaris MRZR is confirmed as the HMV-L option, though they don't detail platform numbers. For the PV-M option they are looking at acquiring up to 43 vehicles with Bushmaster-like capability, but they have not made a final decision on platform yet.

It was also interesting to see they are trialing some micro/nano UAV options (the RQ-20B Puma and the R70 SkyRanger) to provide ISTAR capabilities, which will presumably be deployed at company to section level. These are planned to be rolled out in full as part of NEA tranche 2.

Last edited:

Norm

Light Mortars update.

In the March Army News page 17 there is a good run down on the light mortars project.Three hand held mortars per company with a further 4 Bipod mortars in each Infantry Battalion.Interestingly the moneys in the ammunition with rounds costing similar to the 81mm mortar. The ammunition supply ship post Skyhawks,4 Frigate Navy & GFC only visits our shores once or twice a year is a constraint..Manufacture of the systems and ammo takes a year.No indication on quantities , so Im not sure if TF battalions included.:)
http://army.mil.nz/downloads/pdf/army-news/armynews480.pdf
That took a while but July Army News has a little piece on page 6 that they have arrived and operational release will be by the end of the year.
http://army.mil.nz/downloads/pdf/army-news/armynews504.pdf

40 deg south

The July edition of Army News has a pretty comprehensive breakdown of the new kit in their soldier modernisation programme.

It also has a small piece on the first phase of the Protected Mobility Capability project. The Polaris MRZR is confirmed as the HMV-L option, though they don't detail platform numbers. For the PV-M option they are looking at acquiring up to 43 vehicles with Bushmaster-like capability, but they have not made a final decision on platform yet.
Unless I misread the article, the graphic for the protected Vehicle Vehicle - Medium included the line 'ADF and Industry engagement started'. This makes it sound like the Bushmaster is pretty much a foregone conclusion, as it is hard to see why they would be consulting ADF about any other option.

Redlands18

Unless I misread the article, the graphic for the protected Vehicle Vehicle - Medium included the line 'ADF and Industry engagement started'. This makes it sound like the Bushmaster is pretty much a foregone conclusion, as it is hard to see why they would be consulting ADF about any other option.
With over 1000 Delivered to the ADF i suspect that there is a lot of very low Mileage Vehicles sitting in storage and the 2016 DWP does include a Bushmaster replacement in coming years.

Gibbo

With over 1000 Delivered to the ADF i suspect that there is a lot of very low Mileage Vehicles sitting in storage and the 2016 DWP does include a Bushmaster replacement in coming years.
Yes I noticed that too & came to the same conclusion... quite happy as they are a very good vehicle and there's obviously huge cost & logistical / support benefits of us having literally exactly the same PMV as the ADF (as well as NZSAS already using them).

Can't help looking at the latest variant of the Bushmaster with a glint in my eye though!Bushmaster MR6 Multi-Role Armoured Vehicle - Army Technology

I guess if we had the MR6 it'd be like the ADF LAV-25 versus the NZDF LAV3... whilst of the same family they are effectively very different vehicles that offer only limited logistical / support crossover benefits.

TheRedDwarf

Hello all.

'Australian and New Zealand defender magazine' appear to have evidence that would confirm our suspicions.

Follow the link, fifth item down. Behind a pay-wall, as you might expect, so might be a maliciously disguised press release.

On the off chance that a subscriber to the publication resides on this thread, perhaps they might care to furnish us with any details?

Regards,

Red.