New Coronavirus threat

swerve

Super Moderator
The issue appears to be a comparatively high incidence of a certain type of of thrombosis (venous sinus thrombosis... clot in the brain just asking for a stroke) in the younger vaccinated cohort, rather than the rate of all thromboses, which appears to be at or below normal levels.
Per www.sciencealert.com:
Seems to be over. EMA says that despite more cases than expected of particular, rare, thromboses, it's safe. A possible minor increased risk in one area is greatly outweighed by massively reduced risks elsewhere. It's the difference between a one in a million chance & one in a hundred.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Apparently Canadian delivery guarantees for vaccine were based on quarter. Therefore, along with Biden’s offer to release 1.5 million surplus AZ doses, April will be a big month for vaccinations if vendors meet the quarterly requirements. I would prefer the mRNA version but something is better than SFA.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, follow up on my AZ shot, about 24 hours later, came down with a headache and fever, took some ibuprofen and felt fine.

We've predominantly used AZ in the UK, vaccination program has been aggressive and swift, and our R number is below 1. A bit more of this and we can take off our dunces cap and come out of the international crayon eating corner.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Frankly I am surprised it took this long to announce this decision wrt to international fans entering Japan for the games this summer. I am sure Europe and NA would have come to the same conclusion. Screw the IOC and wouldn’t be disappointed with everyone boycotting the 2022 games in China.

International spectators will be refused entry into Japan for Tokyo 2020
International spectators will be refused entry into Japan for Tokyo 2020

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Well it appears that the EU is going to ban AZ vaccine exports because of slow deliveries to the EU. They are filthy that AZ have delivered fully to the Poms and drip fed the EU. However considering that the EU nations stuffed up their individual COVID-19 prevention precautions methinks that the EU is somewhat hypocritical.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Well, follow up on my AZ shot, about 24 hours later, came down with a headache and fever, took some ibuprofen and felt fine.

We've predominantly used AZ in the UK, vaccination program has been aggressive and swift, and our R number is below 1. A bit more of this and we can take off our dunces cap and come out of the international crayon eating corner.
I would check the info on the vaccine before taking any more fever-reducer or NSAID's. Some of the info I have come across advises against doing so, at least with certain vaccines/doses and patients in certain criteria.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well it appears that the EU is going to ban AZ vaccine exports because of slow deliveries to the EU. They are filthy that AZ have delivered fully to the Poms and drip fed the EU. However considering that the EU nations stuffed up their individual COVID-19 prevention precautions methinks that the EU is somewhat hypocritical.

On the subject of vaccine exports, I'm baffled as to why the EU is looking to prevent exports of vaccines to the UK when they've done everything possible to prevent or discourage administration of the AZ vaccine, and that's been the bulk of shots administered in the UK.

Just sayin'

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would check the info on the vaccine before taking any more fever-reducer or NSAID's. Some of the info I have come across advises against doing so, at least with certain vaccines/doses and patients in certain criteria.
I couldn't find anything specific and wasn't given any direct advice at the time of my shot - so, I went to the usual solutions.

I've just googled a bit and there's not much to assist here.
I feel fine right now so no harm done I guess.

Link ?

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
On the subject of vaccine exports, I'm baffled as to why the EU is looking to prevent exports of vaccines to the UK when they've done everything possible to prevent or discourage administration of the AZ vaccine, and that's been the bulk of shots administered in the UK.

Just sayin'
Your guess is as good as mine. The EU hierarchy, both political and bureaucratic, appears to be at a loss at what to do so it is retreating into itself and falling back on the French, German and Italian SOP. Bureaucracy and orders.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your guess is as good as mine. The EU hierarchy, both political and bureaucratic, appears to be at a loss at what to do so it is retreating into itself and falling back on the French, German and Italian SOP. Bureaucracy and orders.

It's very odd - they've gotten off on a very poor start in terms of vaccination numbers and the UK has *smashed* their numbers completely. Now, that's not a Brexit thing - local health and security matters have always been the business of the member state. They all have health care systems which are usually free at point of delivery (and certainly so for vaccination programs) - why are they making such a hash of it ?

Some of it is vaccine hesitancy and while I'd normally say "stupid gotta stupid" a lot of this does seem founded in some fairly politicised messaging on the subject of some vaccines (looking at you here, AZ)

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
It's very odd - they've gotten off on a very poor start in terms of vaccination numbers and the UK has *smashed* their numbers completely. Now, that's not a Brexit thing - local health and security matters have always been the business of the member state. They all have health care systems which are usually free at point of delivery (and certainly so for vaccination programs) - why are they making such a hash of it ?

Some of it is vaccine hesitancy and while I'd normally say "stupid gotta stupid" a lot of this does seem founded in some fairly politicised messaging on the subject of some vaccines (looking at you here, AZ)
Yes the pollies in the EU halting the AZ vaccine jabs because of some clotting problems that the regulatory authorities were quite happy because of the quite low numbers. Seems the pollies think themselves more highly qualified than the scientific experts.

DDG38

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Yes the pollies in the EU halting the AZ vaccine jabs because of some clotting problems that the regulatory authorities were quite happy because of the quite low numbers. Seems the pollies think themselves more highly qualified than the scientific experts.
And therein lies the problem with the pandemic response for a lot of countries in the past year. I've just finished reading "Unmasked : The politics of pandemics" by Bill Bowtell. Nice concise short read that shows what happens when politicians don't take scientific warnings seriously and are slow to respond. Bowtell was at the forefront of the HIV/AIDs crisis response in Australia so he knows a few things about dealing with pandemics. As he says, "nature creates viruses, politics creates pandemics".

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
This article reports a number of countries have concerns over China’s lack of transparency on crucial data wrt COVID. Who would have thought? WRT a possible lab source, all lab staff were tested and results were negative. I wonder what differences there are between the current staff list and the list working at the institute 20 months ago?
14 countries accuse China of withholding data from coronavirus investigation
14 countries and WHO chief accuse China of withholding data from coronavirus investigation

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
This article reports a number of countries have concerns over China’s lack of transparency on crucial data wrt COVID. Who would have thought? WRT a possible lab source, all lab staff were tested and results were negative. I wonder what differences there are between the current staff list and the list working at the institute 20 months ago?
14 countries accuse China of withholding data from coronavirus investigation
14 countries and WHO chief accuse China of withholding data from coronavirus investigation
Yep, because of the CCP's actions around the time of the outbreak and since, the PRC cannot and will not change its story on the outbreak. It's pretty rich them accusing the WHO and others of politicising the investigation, when they themselves politicised the pandemic right from the start. Just shows you the hypocrisy.

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Yep, because of the CCP's actions around the time of the outbreak and since, the PRC cannot and will not change its story on the outbreak. It's pretty rich them accusing the WHO and others of politicising the investigation, when they themselves politicised the pandemic right from the start. Just shows you the hypocrisy.
As reported in the Oz today, the NZ government is the only one of the 5EYES partners which has refused to criticise the WHO led investigation into the pandemic. Headline “NZ Shuts it’s Eyes to appease China”
Can’t link, apologies.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
As reported in the Oz today, the NZ government is the only one of the 5EYES partners which has refused to criticise the WHO led investigation into the pandemic. Headline “NZ Shuts it’s Eyes to appease China”
Can’t link, apologies.
No probs and unfortunately that doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Was thinking of placing this in the General Aviation thread but I decided to use this thread. Currently new variants are starting to raise concerns in both NA and Europe due to increased infection rates and more severe symptoms. Any talk of reduced restrictions and talk of ending vaccine documentation at this point in time is ludicrous. For all we know, annual vaccination for emerging variants may be required and due to the severity of COVID, most nations will likely want to see both nationality and vaccine passports should this grim reality happen.

Nighthawk.NZ

No probs and unfortunately that doesn't surprise me in the slightest.
I suspect that the NZ gubberment will release it's own worded statement in the next while... but like you didn't surprise me in the slightest either...

... and for the those that didn't see any article here is one from the NewsHub website. Basically say they want a bit more time to comprehend and understand the science behind it all... even though the other countries were saying there wasn't enough info...

New Zealand absent from list of countries raising concern over World Health Organization COVID-19 origin report

Last edited: