New Coronavirus threat

swerve

Super Moderator
Some negative news about the AstraZenaca vaccine. Given the number of successful vaccinations in the UK, this clotting problem may be a problem with the particular batch and not the vaccine itself. Nevertheless, along with the over 65 issue, this could hinder vaccination efforts in many regions due to people losing confidence.
Denmark suspends use of AstraZeneca vaccine as 'precautionary measure'
Denmark suspends use of AstraZeneca vaccine as 'precautionary measure'
Or it could be pure coincidence. something that would have happened anyway.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
Seems perverse - the european lead for progress in vaccination has managed to deliver 23 million doses, mainly composed of a large dollop of the AZ vaccine with a slightly smaller portion of the Pfizer vaccine vs Denmarks 800K totals.

I'm definitely starting to see a pattern here and it's of countries with low rollout totals deciding the AZ vaccine is a problem. Based on sod all evidence.

Very strange.

swerve

Super Moderator
While the WHO, EMA etc. say it's fine, no problems, & when politicians listen to their medical advisers they reverse the suspensions.
AstraZeneca vaccine: Germany rejects blood clot risk | DW | 12.03.2021
Germany, others stick with AstraZeneca vaccine as some pause

As the AP article points out, the people vaccinated so far are in high-risk groups, many of who already have medical problems. The anaphylaxis risk is real, but not specific to the Oxford/Astrazeneca vaccine. After I got my first dose of the BioNTech/Pfizer vaccine I had to sit & wait for a while in case of anaphylaxis, because there's a known risk with that vaccine. But in the UK it's been less than one in every 100,000 Astrazeneca vaccinations, & all have been treated successfully.

I doubt Sweden will object to it.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
And they've gone and done it again - AZ on hold for France and Germany. If they put their vaccination programs any further back, they'd have to go an un-vaccinate people.

swerve

Super Moderator
One of the scientific talking heads on the Beeb today said that given how many people had been given the AZ vaccine (an eight figure number), & the dates of their vaccinations, the reported rate of deaths from blood clots among them was lower than the population average, & gave the statistics underlying that.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reading it now, they're stating 37 incidences out of 17m doses. I Have no idea how that can be significant statistically.

Reading it now, they're stating 37 incidences out of 17m doses. I Have no idea how that can be significant statistically.
I think it’s more related to the fact all the vaccines are still operating under emergency approvals. From what I understand, given there’s still so many “unknowns” with any of the vaccines, events like this require investigation. And in the EU sense, a “pause” while they do that.

But yes, I’ll agree the EU seems to be (in a bad way) all over the slightest issue with the AZ vaccine. Their media coverage hasn’t been helpful to the cause of getting as many people vaccinated as possible!!

CJR

One of the scientific talking heads on the Beeb today said that given how many people had been given the AZ vaccine (an eight figure number), & the dates of their vaccinations, the reported rate of deaths from blood clots among them was lower than the population average, & gave the statistics underlying that.
The issue appears to be a comparatively high incidence of a certain type of of thrombosis (venous sinus thrombosis... clot in the brain just asking for a stroke) in the younger vaccinated cohort, rather than the rate of all thromboses, which appears to be at or below normal levels.
Per www.sciencealert.com:
According to the regulatory agencies of the countries involved, it comes down to a rare but serious type of blood clot in the brain called venous sinus thrombosis. These have mostly been in quite young people (aged 20-55) which is part of the reason that there is a cause for concern.

The German public health agency has published their findings, showing that there were a total of seven cases of these blood clots in the vaccinated population of 1.6 million people aged 20-55 when they would've expected only one by chance.

swerve

Super Moderator
The issue appears to be a comparatively high incidence of a certain type of of thrombosis (venous sinus thrombosis... clot in the brain just asking for a stroke) in the younger vaccinated cohort, rather than the rate of all thromboses, which appears to be at or below normal levels.
Per www.sciencealert.com:
Seems to be over. EMA says that despite more cases than expected of particular, rare, thromboses, it's safe. A possible minor increased risk in one area is greatly outweighed by massively reduced risks elsewhere. It's the difference between a one in a million chance & one in a hundred.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Apparently Canadian delivery guarantees for vaccine were based on quarter. Therefore, along with Biden’s offer to release 1.5 million surplus AZ doses, April will be a big month for vaccinations if vendors meet the quarterly requirements. I would prefer the mRNA version but something is better than SFA.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, follow up on my AZ shot, about 24 hours later, came down with a headache and fever, took some ibuprofen and felt fine.

We've predominantly used AZ in the UK, vaccination program has been aggressive and swift, and our R number is below 1. A bit more of this and we can take off our dunces cap and come out of the international crayon eating corner.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Frankly I am surprised it took this long to announce this decision wrt to international fans entering Japan for the games this summer. I am sure Europe and NA would have come to the same conclusion. Screw the IOC and wouldn’t be disappointed with everyone boycotting the 2022 games in China.

International spectators will be refused entry into Japan for Tokyo 2020
International spectators will be refused entry into Japan for Tokyo 2020

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Well it appears that the EU is going to ban AZ vaccine exports because of slow deliveries to the EU. They are filthy that AZ have delivered fully to the Poms and drip fed the EU. However considering that the EU nations stuffed up their individual COVID-19 prevention precautions methinks that the EU is somewhat hypocritical.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Well, follow up on my AZ shot, about 24 hours later, came down with a headache and fever, took some ibuprofen and felt fine.

We've predominantly used AZ in the UK, vaccination program has been aggressive and swift, and our R number is below 1. A bit more of this and we can take off our dunces cap and come out of the international crayon eating corner.
I would check the info on the vaccine before taking any more fever-reducer or NSAID's. Some of the info I have come across advises against doing so, at least with certain vaccines/doses and patients in certain criteria.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well it appears that the EU is going to ban AZ vaccine exports because of slow deliveries to the EU. They are filthy that AZ have delivered fully to the Poms and drip fed the EU. However considering that the EU nations stuffed up their individual COVID-19 prevention precautions methinks that the EU is somewhat hypocritical.

On the subject of vaccine exports, I'm baffled as to why the EU is looking to prevent exports of vaccines to the UK when they've done everything possible to prevent or discourage administration of the AZ vaccine, and that's been the bulk of shots administered in the UK.

Just sayin'

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would check the info on the vaccine before taking any more fever-reducer or NSAID's. Some of the info I have come across advises against doing so, at least with certain vaccines/doses and patients in certain criteria.
I couldn't find anything specific and wasn't given any direct advice at the time of my shot - so, I went to the usual solutions.

I've just googled a bit and there's not much to assist here.
I feel fine right now so no harm done I guess.

Link ?

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
On the subject of vaccine exports, I'm baffled as to why the EU is looking to prevent exports of vaccines to the UK when they've done everything possible to prevent or discourage administration of the AZ vaccine, and that's been the bulk of shots administered in the UK.

Just sayin'
Your guess is as good as mine. The EU hierarchy, both political and bureaucratic, appears to be at a loss at what to do so it is retreating into itself and falling back on the French, German and Italian SOP. Bureaucracy and orders.

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your guess is as good as mine. The EU hierarchy, both political and bureaucratic, appears to be at a loss at what to do so it is retreating into itself and falling back on the French, German and Italian SOP. Bureaucracy and orders.

It's very odd - they've gotten off on a very poor start in terms of vaccination numbers and the UK has *smashed* their numbers completely. Now, that's not a Brexit thing - local health and security matters have always been the business of the member state. They all have health care systems which are usually free at point of delivery (and certainly so for vaccination programs) - why are they making such a hash of it ?

Some of it is vaccine hesitancy and while I'd normally say "stupid gotta stupid" a lot of this does seem founded in some fairly politicised messaging on the subject of some vaccines (looking at you here, AZ)