New Coronavirus threat

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
It's very odd - they've gotten off on a very poor start in terms of vaccination numbers and the UK has *smashed* their numbers completely. Now, that's not a Brexit thing - local health and security matters have always been the business of the member state. They all have health care systems which are usually free at point of delivery (and certainly so for vaccination programs) - why are they making such a hash of it ?

Some of it is vaccine hesitancy and while I'd normally say "stupid gotta stupid" a lot of this does seem founded in some fairly politicised messaging on the subject of some vaccines (looking at you here, AZ)
Yes the pollies in the EU halting the AZ vaccine jabs because of some clotting problems that the regulatory authorities were quite happy because of the quite low numbers. Seems the pollies think themselves more highly qualified than the scientific experts.

DDG38

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Yes the pollies in the EU halting the AZ vaccine jabs because of some clotting problems that the regulatory authorities were quite happy because of the quite low numbers. Seems the pollies think themselves more highly qualified than the scientific experts.
And therein lies the problem with the pandemic response for a lot of countries in the past year. I've just finished reading "Unmasked : The politics of pandemics" by Bill Bowtell. Nice concise short read that shows what happens when politicians don't take scientific warnings seriously and are slow to respond. Bowtell was at the forefront of the HIV/AIDs crisis response in Australia so he knows a few things about dealing with pandemics. As he says, "nature creates viruses, politics creates pandemics".

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This article reports a number of countries have concerns over China’s lack of transparency on crucial data wrt COVID. Who would have thought? WRT a possible lab source, all lab staff were tested and results were negative. I wonder what differences there are between the current staff list and the list working at the institute 20 months ago?
14 countries accuse China of withholding data from coronavirus investigation
14 countries and WHO chief accuse China of withholding data from coronavirus investigation

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
This article reports a number of countries have concerns over China’s lack of transparency on crucial data wrt COVID. Who would have thought? WRT a possible lab source, all lab staff were tested and results were negative. I wonder what differences there are between the current staff list and the list working at the institute 20 months ago?
14 countries accuse China of withholding data from coronavirus investigation
14 countries and WHO chief accuse China of withholding data from coronavirus investigation
Yep, because of the CCP's actions around the time of the outbreak and since, the PRC cannot and will not change its story on the outbreak. It's pretty rich them accusing the WHO and others of politicising the investigation, when they themselves politicised the pandemic right from the start. Just shows you the hypocrisy.

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Yep, because of the CCP's actions around the time of the outbreak and since, the PRC cannot and will not change its story on the outbreak. It's pretty rich them accusing the WHO and others of politicising the investigation, when they themselves politicised the pandemic right from the start. Just shows you the hypocrisy.
As reported in the Oz today, the NZ government is the only one of the 5EYES partners which has refused to criticise the WHO led investigation into the pandemic. Headline “NZ Shuts it’s Eyes to appease China”
Can’t link, apologies.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
As reported in the Oz today, the NZ government is the only one of the 5EYES partners which has refused to criticise the WHO led investigation into the pandemic. Headline “NZ Shuts it’s Eyes to appease China”
Can’t link, apologies.
No probs and unfortunately that doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Was thinking of placing this in the General Aviation thread but I decided to use this thread. Currently new variants are starting to raise concerns in both NA and Europe due to increased infection rates and more severe symptoms. Any talk of reduced restrictions and talk of ending vaccine documentation at this point in time is ludicrous. For all we know, annual vaccination for emerging variants may be required and due to the severity of COVID, most nations will likely want to see both nationality and vaccine passports should this grim reality happen.

Nighthawk.NZ

No probs and unfortunately that doesn't surprise me in the slightest.
I suspect that the NZ gubberment will release it's own worded statement in the next while... but like you didn't surprise me in the slightest either...

... and for the those that didn't see any article here is one from the NewsHub website. Basically say they want a bit more time to comprehend and understand the science behind it all... even though the other countries were saying there wasn't enough info...

New Zealand absent from list of countries raising concern over World Health Organization COVID-19 origin report

Last edited:

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
For all we know, annual vaccination for emerging variants may be required
The German state i live in currently effectively assumes infection to make you immune for only 3 months where non-mainstream variants are concerned. Before British Covid spread around it was 6 months btw. The timespan is how long previous infection will exempt you from mandatory quarantine on returning from VoC high-risk countries (currently: Brazil, most countries in the South of Africa and the French department of Moselle neighboring Germany). Vaccination does not exempt you at all btw.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
The German state i live in currently effectively assumes infection to make you immune for only 3 months where non-mainstream variants are concerned. Before British Covid spread around it was 6 months btw. The timespan is how long previous infection will exempt you from mandatory quarantine on returning from VoC high-risk countries (currently: Brazil, most countries in the South of Africa and the French department of Moselle neighboring Germany). Vaccination does not exempt you at all btw.
Just further information confirming that a return to normal international travel won’t be happening soon. Commercial aviation is going to suffer for years IMO. Canadian domestic flight availability is reduced and prices are up. Zooming is looking better every day.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I suspect that the NZ gubberment will release it's own worded statement in the next while... but like you didn't surprise me in the slightest either...

... and for the those that didn't see any article here is one from the NewsHub website. Basically say they want a bit more time to comprehend and understand the science behind it all... even though the other countries were saying there wasn't enough info...

New Zealand absent from list of countries raising concern over World Health Organization COVID-19 origin report
It's more political than anything else. They don't want to upset Beijing. They're to scared to upset the apple cart and they appear to have an anti Australian foreign policy, much the same as Helen Clark had. That's going to negatively impact upon our defence and security relationship, not only with Australia, but also with the US.

recce.k1

It's more political than anything else. They don't want to upset Beijing. They're to scared to upset the apple cart and they appear to have an anti Australian foreign policy, much the same as Helen Clark had. That's going to negatively impact upon our defence and security relationship, not only with Australia, but also with the US.
Hmm maybe (although that's not the official NZG's view on Australia ... PM Ardern describes the NZ-Aust relationship as "strong" and "excellent" as per NZ media reports, which doesn't quite fit an "anti Australian" narrative. The only "anti Australian" sentiment that is obvious at NZG levels is the "501" situation, that of Australia deporting NZ born criminals which in amongst the hardened criminals appear to have been a number of people kicked out for seemingly trivial i.e. minor crime reasons, which then makes the "bleeding heart" newsheadlines and usually on cue, a "frowny faced, tilted head" PM Ardern appears, to shore up her public image as a "compassionate" PM. It's somewhat theatrical, at times, but anyway) ... or maybe instead, I'd be more inclined to agree with a variation of Hanlon's Razor which is "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence"!

According to respected political reporters inside the beltway writing for Point of Order, the (NZ) Ministry of Health is being typically slow to respond to the 15 countries’ joint statement (on the WHO Study), as they are "apparently", "focused on defeating Covid, hadn’t the chance to study the document."
Judging by the occasional odd comment on other political blogs (made by other health professionals posting anonymously) they do tend to knock the MoH as being unresponsive, reactionary, seemingly incompetent at times (eg flu vaccine shortages last year etc) and basically a nightmare to deal with.

Furthermore, presumably when MoH gets it's act together (over the "15 countries joint statement") and briefs the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Point of Order curiously mentions "we are told it takes five days to prepare and issue joint ministerial statements". Perhaps this explains the absence of a formal NZ statement being issued in a timely manner in support of the "15 countries joint statement" etc?

But wait there's more. Without wishing to denigrate our (NZ) Minister of Foreign Affairs (Nania Mahuta), there has been a fair amount of (occasional) criticism of Ms Mahuta over the years since she entered Parliament in 1996, by the Opposition (and some media commentators) so perhaps somewhat partisan, that she hadn't achieved much over these years and has been slighted as being "lazy". (To be fair I think she has been quite active within Maoridom and working on those related issues, so perhaps just not more "mainstream" issues hence the "euro-centric" criticism? It was noted however, by various media sources, total astonishment at her being appointed as Foreign Affairs Minister. (I feel it simply reflects the absence of competent MP's in the NZ Labour Party that would have normally undertaken that role, i.e. they have a shallow talent pool. Their former Foreign Minister was actually from another political party - NZ First's Winston Peters 2017-2020, who previously held that role 2005-2008, hence had previous experience).

Time will tell whether this criticism of our new FM is justified or not, but if we (NZ) keep getting on the receiving end of "Australian wrath", well hopefully these rockets up their backsides will effect some positive change?

Sorry for being "political" but people outside of NZ won't understand these internal dynamics (especially our Aussie cousins - check out Andrew Bolt's somewhat disingenuous rant in the last 24 hours! My message to him, whom I like watching, would be to refer to Hanlon's Razor)!

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
NZ will open a quarantine free two way travel bubble with Australia at 2359 NZST 18 April 2021. This is on a state by state basis so if there is a COVID-19 outbreak in one state it doesn't impact upon the bubble with the rest of Australia. Apparently the idea is in the NZ context, Australia will be treated as if it was part of NZ WRT outbreaks, so instead of being considered a national outbreak, any outbreak will be considered a regional outbreak to start with and work from there as the outbreak response progresses.

Work is ongoing to extend a two way quarantine free travel bubble with the Cook Islands and other Pacific Islands, especially ones that haven't had any COVID-19 infections.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
A bubble with ocean dividers should work. Canada’s Maritime provinces bubble was reasonably successful for awhile but land entry is easy and the resources for provincial border enforcement were extremely limited.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Wow, close provincial borders in Canada, good idea but somewhat late! The Brazilian variant seems to be significant in BC (probably for sometime now) and it is likely too late to limit its spread to eastern Canada. Slow vaccine program and pollies bending the knee to commercial interests resistant to effective lockdowns have gotten us to this point. The only thing junior got right was social distancing and masks (likely needed advisers for this).

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Considering virus been around for billions of years, and flu has been around since dawn of humanity, it'll be a while.
Who is @Claireredfil ? I've just searched and can't find that user anywhere. If this is a quote from outside these forums it is appropriate to provide a link. Otherwise you'll be accused of setting up a straw man argument. By myself, if noone else

oldsig

Preceptor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Who is @Claireredfil ? I've just searched and can't find that user anywhere. If this is a quote from outside these forums it is appropriate to provide a link. Otherwise you'll be accused of setting up a straw man argument. By myself, if noone else

oldsig
A recently created DT ID, who made a single one-liner post and got nuked, along with another also suspiciously recently created ID that made a single, one-liner post in this thread. Both ID's have been Banned and their posts deleted by the Mod Team.
-Preceptor

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

oldsig
You won't find them because I banned them for trolling, using two accounts and deleted their posts.