New Coronavirus threat

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Western people are obsessed with the single origin theory. Such as. Single origin of mankind in Africa. Single origin of universe with a big bang. Single origin of COVID-19 in China. Single origin of this. Single origin of that. We Chinese people do not believe in single origin. It is highly likely COVID-19 originated in many countries over a number of years considering how many variants it has.
Then you don't understand science and are just showing your ignorance. AFAIK the CCP line on science is very strong. I believe it is also a part of Xi Jinping thought which you should be conversant on by now.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well it appears vaccine nationalism is further along, Moderna is reducing supply to Canada with no explanation provided. An explanation isn’t really required, you look after your own first. Canada, as one of the few countries seriously affected by SARS almost 20 years ago had a red fag to address vaccine production in Canada. SFA was done, our pollies probably thought it was an option DND expense.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/covid-19-vaccine-deliveries-1.59008531612474577536.png

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
An interesting article from Foreign Policy discussing the idea that paranoid island nations have done well coping with the COVID-19 pandemic. It seems that my own country, NZ along with Australia & Singapore are paranoid. Not sure how to take that :D

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Paranoid is good thing during this pandemic, this will trigger early on sense of crisis. Islands will not help that situation if sense of crisis did not trigger early on. Don't have to see UK and Ireland, that sprawling Archipelago north of Australia is the proof of inept reaction from combination lack of crisis and simply denial for the first three months of 2020. It's also combine with Population that half of them still think COVID 19 is part of Business conspiracies.

Jokowi's claim already secured 420 million vaccine doses. However he admitted that the time table when the most of the vaccines come, still need to be fight on. However if I talk with Health Professional from Doctors to Hospital administrator, how we're going to vaccinate population outside Big Metropolitan areas. They simply said, we'll see that after the Vaccines available.

420 Mio doses in paper will be enough to vaccinate 190 - 200 Mio population as targeted. How to do it, seems still many officials avoid talking it in public.

An interesting article from Foreign Policy discussing the idea that paranoid island nations have done well coping with the COVID-19 pandemic. It seems that my own country, NZ along with Australia & Singapore are paranoid. Not sure how to take that :D
A good article. At least providing a good round up of the various island nation’s fairing reasonably well during COVID.

However this article highlights one of the huge issues I have with Australian media/government in particular, the obsessive comparisons with “UK and USA”.

“The alternative to the rules for your benefit is..... USA/UK”

Reality is, the ONLY countries that Australia should be comparing itself to is all the ones listed in that article. Especially when it comes to the international border and allowing citizens access to their own country, Australia doesn’t have to look far to find better options (NZ for starters).

spoz

The Bunker Group
Why? Australia’s response has been a pretty good one so far. 1.15% of the population have have caught it, and of those that have 3% have died. Too many of course but far better than it could have been. Take out Victoria, and it has been shading on excellent; and even the Vics are doing better than most of the rest of the world.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Why? Australia’s response has been a pretty good one so far. 1.15% of the population have have caught it, and of those that have 3% have died. Too many of course but far better than it could have been. Take out Victoria, and it has been shading on excellent; and even the Vics are doing better than most of the rest of the world.
I agree. Here is an "interesting" set of statistics for people to consider, and then compare responses to. I currently reside in a US state with a population of ~5.1 mil. people. Per data from the state department responsible for public health, as of 23:59 20 Feb. 2021 there have been 437,018 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the state, another 68,571 probable cases, with 7,417 confirmed deaths and 915 probable deaths.

Now for some comparison. Australia is ~5x the population of the state I live in, yet the much smaller population of the state has/had 15x the number of cases. That suggests, strongly, that steps take in Australia to contain or mitigate risk of viral spread has been more effective, to the tune of an order of magnitude, than steps taken in the US.

Side note: My info suggests that ~29k Australians have or have had COVID-19, which would be more like 0.115% of the population.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I agree. Here is an "interesting" set of statistics for people to consider, and then compare responses to. I currently reside in a US state with a population of ~5.1 mil. people. Per data from the state department responsible for public health, as of 23:59 20 Feb. 2021 there have been 437,018 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the state, another 68,571 probable cases, with 7,417 confirmed deaths and 915 probable deaths.

Now for some comparison. Australia is ~5x the population of the state I live in, yet the much smaller population of the state has/had 15x the number of cases. That suggests, strongly, that steps take in Australia to contain or mitigate risk of viral spread has been more effective, to the tune of an order of magnitude, than steps taken in the US.

Side note: My info suggests that ~29k Australians have or have had COVID-19, which would be more like 0.115% of the population.
The population of NZ is 5 million. We have had 2331 confirmed cases and 26 deaths. There is 1 new community case today, however that person was already in self isolation at home and is part of the recent cluster.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group

The province of British Columbia has roughly the same population as your state, 5.07 million and to date has 76,000 cases. It is one of the better performers in Canada. Ontario, with a 14. 57 million population, has had 293,086 cases. Lockdowns and mandatory masking/social distancing likely explain the difference between your state and BC.

spoz

The Bunker Group
Oops, misplaced a decimal point again. 0.115 of course, Better not to do that at work!

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
The province of British Columbia has roughly the same population as your state, 5.07 million and to date has 76,000 cases. It is one of the better performers in Canada. Ontario, with a 14. 57 million population, has had 293,086 cases. Lockdowns and mandatory masking/social distancing likely explain the difference between your state and BC.
That and the degree to which people actually follow pandemic mitigation and control efforts, as opposed to believing it all a hoax, or treating the measures as a sort of litmus test to show partisan political support, or...

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I currently reside in a US state with a population of ~5.1 mil. people. Per data from the state department responsible for public health, as of 23:59 20 Feb. 2021 there have been 437,018 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the state, another 68,571 probable cases, with 7,417 confirmed deaths and 915 probable deaths.
I live in a state in Germany with a population of 11.07 million. As of the exact same timestamp we had 310,795 cases and 7,923 deaths - i.e. 28% of your caseload, with a higher death rate (that at 2.5% is in line with typical numbers globally).

Measures included some of the harder ones for lockdowns in Germany, including daytime mandatory-travel-only restrictions and nighttime curfews.

However with the mutations we're now switching over into third wave - with R values slightly above 1 again, and new infections rising again after leveling at a plateau of around 44-45 cases in last rolling 7 days per 100,000 people coming out of second wave .
In the last three weeks - since they started sequencing all positive samples on Jan 30th - about 19% of all cases have been mutated variants-of-concern with higher infectiousness. Patient Zero with British variant B1.1.7 entered the state on Dec 20th (identified Dec 24th), Patient Zero with South-African variant B.1.351 on Dec 13th (only identified on Jan 12th). Haven't seen any reports on infection vector for Brazilian B.1.1.28/P1, but it's in the state too in low numbers (about 0.3% of VOCs during the first week of full sequencing).

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
More bad news about emerging mutations in the US. The huge pool of infected patients will lead to more variants. Enhanced transmission and a more serious consequence, more serious symptoms. I fear by the time Canada gets its vaccination efforts underway, some vaccines may no longer work against new strains.
Researchers find worrying new coronavirus variant in New York City
Researchers find worrying new coronavirus variant in New York City

Covid cases in Ontario are overwhelmingly concentrated in the GTA where population is about 3 million. There are currently 0.3 million cases in Ontario. So roughly 1 in 10 diagnosed positive with it in the GTA. The rural areas of Ontario may also have a lot of cases but there are very few facilities in rural areas for testing so most people in rural areas of Ontario never get tested.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
The GTA includes York, Halton, Durham and Peel regions as well as Toronto itself. The population is over 6 million whereas the Ontario population is over 14 million. Currently there are 303,000 cases reported for Ontario since the pandemic start. Some GTA numbers, Toronto Public Health, 94,600 cases, Peel, 61,000, York, 28,000, Durham, 12,000 and Halton, not sure but likely much less than 20,000.

The GTA includes York, Halton, Durham and Peel regions as well as Toronto itself. The population is over 6 million whereas the Ontario population is over 14 million. Currently there are 303,000 cases reported for Ontario since the pandemic start. Some GTA numbers, Toronto Public Health, 94,600 cases, Peel, 61,000, York, 28,000, Durham, 12,000 and Halton, not sure but likely much less than 20,000.
The number of people diagnosed positive is obviously far fewer than the number of people infected. I would wager the vast majority of people shy away from testing because of the negative consequences of a positive test result.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
The number of people diagnosed positive is obviously far fewer than the number of people infected. I would wager the vast majority of people shy away from testing because of the negative consequences of a positive test result.
@supersupersoldier, you are given notice to stop posting in this thread for 48 hours — as you have consistently failed to provide sources in any thread you post in, including this one. Posting is a privilege and the Moderators will progressively revoke this privilege by editorial control of threads.

Failure to heed to red text warning will result in an immediate ban. No reply to this final warning is necessary.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Some negative news about the AstraZenaca vaccine. Given the number of successful vaccinations in the UK, this clotting problem may be a problem with the particular batch and not the vaccine itself. Nevertheless, along with the over 65 issue, this could hinder vaccination efforts in many regions due to people losing confidence.
Denmark suspends use of AstraZeneca vaccine as 'precautionary measure'
Denmark suspends use of AstraZeneca vaccine as 'precautionary measure'

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
this clotting problem may be a problem with the particular batch
The same clotting problem previously already occured in Austria (including a death) - which is why Austria and Italy benched a particular batch of it that both countries were using.

With regard to confidence, that's already well shot out the window outside of the UK to an extent that's likely completely unrecoverable. Link with some numbers from YouGov, released this week.
  • About 41% in Germany and France respectively consider AstraZeneca unsafe to use, compared to 5% in the UK.
  • In the two countries 42% "do not trust" the manufacturers of the AstraZeneca vaccine (UK: 9%).
  • Among those willing to be vaccinated at all 42% would reject a jab with AstraZeneca and wait until a different vaccine becomes available (UK: 4%).
While in other European countries the number are still lower (at about 50-60% of that in this regard) they trend towards catching up to the Franco-German lead there.