Flanker Export Thread

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The 50 mln each is including maintenance and spare parts contract. The whole contract is supposed to be 900 mln, with everything, possibly including the upgrade of the already delivered MKMs for Brahmos, and other unnamed stuff. So yes, if this is what the price will be then it's a great deal.

Lenta.ru: Îðóæèå: Ìàëàéçèÿ êóïèò 18 èñòðåáèòåëåé Ñó-30ÌÊÌ

Keep in mind economies of scale though. Su-27 derivatives are being pumped out to the tune of 80-90 airframes annually these days. Iirc 40+ at IAPO and KnAAPO each, plus the Fullbacks from NAPO.

Twinblade

The 50 mln each is including maintenance and spare parts contract. The whole contract is supposed to be 900 mln, with everything, possibly including the upgrade of the already delivered MKMs for Brahmos, and other unnamed stuff. So yes, if this is what the price will be then it's a great deal.

Lenta.ru: Îðóæèå: Ìàëàéçèÿ êóïèò 18 èñòðåáèòåëåé Ñó-30ÌÊÌ

Keep in mind economies of scale though. Su-27 derivatives are being pumped out to the tune of 80-90 airframes annually these days. Iirc 40+ at IAPO and KnAAPO each, plus the Fullbacks from NAPO.
Now that's a steal !! The last Indian order for 42 IAPO made Mki's was for $4.3 billion !!
India To Buy More Su-30sMKIs | AVIATION WEEK

There is something in the Indian order that doesn't meet the eye.

Haavarla

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Now that's a steal !! The last Indian order for 42 IAPO made Mki's was for $4.3 billion !!
India To Buy More Su-30sMKIs | AVIATION WEEK

There is something in the Indian order that doesn't meet the eye.
That would be due to the 'Super 30' specifications..
Some of the elevated 'cost' might be to systems still under development, new radar etc etc.
It might be IAPOs final Flanker evolution before the Pak-Fa takes over the Market..

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I doubt it's the final one. They will likely develop further upgrade packages for them.

But yes the variant that India ordered is supposed to be more advanced.

EDIT: Well it looks like the news on the Flanker purchase by Malaysia were false.

Last edited:

Haavarla

Right.
I feel that IAPO will force any other Malasian fighter tender with Typhoon etc out into the blue..

It makes no sense to invest in a new fighter type for a country like Malaysia.
IMO, in these eco-turmoil times better to go with a few more MKMs.

And hopefully IAPO will secure a Yak-130 Deal as well.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sukhoi is pretty good about spares, unlike their issues with the MiGs, and I agree with you in regards to price-performance ratio, it's definitely in favor of the MKMs. However there may be political considerations involved. Like India, they may be reluctant to put all their eggs in one basket, by going with more MKMs and the Yak-130, leaving their Hornets as their only non-Russian fighter. And with only 8 of them, they will represent a rather small part of the fleet (as opposed to 36 MKMs).

I would not be surprised to see an alternate choice.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
2011 will be an all high for Sukhoi export.. will they be able to top this in 2012?
Depends if Sukhoi can get further deal from Rusian AF, India or China. If in 2012, has to rely on smaller deal from Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam or Algier etc, and no, the 2012 can't match 2011.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well the deal for 42 more Indian MKIs hasn't been signed yet, so it should get put through next year. That would make it a winner. More contracts from Vietnam are likely, and the contract for 28 Su-30SM, with a 12 option, should get signed next year. If those three go through, they alone would make it a very very successful year.

Haavarla

Uganda and Malaysia could also order a few more in 2012.
I doubt we'll see any further Chinese order..

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Uganda and Malaysia could also order a few more in 2012.
I doubt we'll see any further Chinese order..
Malaysia currently plans to purchase fighters for the MiG-29N replacement in the 2016-2020 timeframe. However they currently have an active tender for 36 birds, and the MKM is participating in it, while Sukhoi is rushing Brahmos for them. I suppose it remains to be seen what comes of it.

As for Uganda, I have doubts they'll be able to find something to do with the 8 they already have, more would be kind of silly.

Haavarla

Wasen't there some reports of one Ugandan Su-30MK2 crashed or run off the runway a few weeks back?

Haavarla

Sorry for the short Q.
Will IAPO produce both the Su-30SM and Super MKI at the same time or..?
Isn't there allready two Su-30SM on the floor, meaning the Su-30SM production has just started?

Last edited: