Flanker Export Thread

Haavarla

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It looks like NAPO are in the prosess of turning four new Su-34 striker over to the RuAF fleet.
It should be done before the years end.

Lenta.ru: Îðóæèå: ÂÂÑ Ðîññèè ïîëó÷àò øåñòü áîìáàðäèðîâùèêîâ Ñó-34 äî êîíöà ãîäà

Google translation:

Russian Air Force will receive six Sukhoi-34 bombers until the end of the year

Sukhoi to the end of 2010 the Russian Air Force will give the second installment of the Su-34, RIA Novosti reported. It is about six such aircraft. Currently bombers undergoing flight tests at the flight-test station of the Novosibirsk Aviation Production Association named after Chkalov. Previously reported that in the first game, transferred to the military in late 2009, there were two aircraft.
To date, the Russian Defense Ministry has ordered 32 Su-34, which produces the Novosibirsk Aviation Production Association named after Chkalov. From 2007 to 2009 the Russian Air Force received four ordered the bomber, including two aircraft, the military sent for tests for combat use. It is expected that by 2015 the Russian Defense Ministry to buy 70 Su-34 bombers.

In June 2010 it was reported that in 2011, will launch upgraded versions of the Su-34. In particular, the aircraft will receive new missiles, air-to-air and air-to-surface missiles and upgraded high-turbojet bypass engines AL-31FM1. In addition, the Su-34 is supposed to set the auxiliary gas turbine power plants TA14-130-35, which will run the engine bomber on the ground without the use of ground equipment. With this modification will increase the autonomy of the Su-34 and to expand the list of aerodromes their home.

Su-34 in the long term should form the basis for front-line bombers in Russia. These aircraft are capable of speeds up to 1,9 thousand kilometers per hour and fly at a distance of up to four thousand kilometers. Combat radius of Su-34 is 1,1 thousand kilometers. Bomber armed with a 30-millimeter cannon and has 12 points of suspension for suspension of arms weighing up to eight tons.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
This should bring total numbers to ~12 aircraft. Airframes 01-05 were iirc handed over before this. I suspect we may have missed the handover of airframe 06, and these are 07-12 airframes, making the first squadron.

Haavarla

I'm not sure here..
But to me it sounds like the 'SIX' aircraft is the 04,05, which was delivered earlier and now it four more coming out aka 06,07,08,09.
The article is unclear..

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe. I thought 04 and 05 had already been handed over. The article claims 4 deliveries in the 07-09 time period. So at least a total of 10 aiframes. Additionally 04 and 05 were completed at practically the same time, which makes it highly unlikely that one of them was handed over and the other wasn't. Hence why I suspect the math in the article looks something like this: 2 in late '06, 4 in '07-'09, and 6 now. Remember these 6 have not yet been handed over. They're still due for factory testing. 04-05 was completed a long time ago.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apparently there is to be an F-X3 and the Su-35S will be in it. Only time will tell if their government will produce the funds and make a decision.

AvengingAngel

I'm a novice at this. But looking at the Flanker, doesn't it look exactly like the copy of the F-15 Eagle?

I maybe wrong. Some of the knowledgeable enthusiasts out there, please explain.

wormhole

I'm a novice at this. But looking at the Flanker, doesn't it look exactly like the copy of the F-15 Eagle?

I maybe wrong. Some of the knowledgeable enthusiasts out there, please explain.
It was designed to counter the Eagle and there are superficial similarities (eg. twin engines, twin vertical tails) but its definitely no copy.

wormhole

We can add Mexico to the list apparently.
If all they really want to do is strategic surveillance, there are a number of UAVs that can do the job better and more cheaply.
Mexico selects Sukhoi Su-27 for strategic surveillance-09/05/2006-Flight International

Mexico selects Sukhoi Su-27 for strategic surveillance

The Mexican navy has selected Sukhoi’s Su-27 over the Saab/BAE Systems Gripen to equip its first air defence unit.

Head of the service Adm Armando Sánchez Moreno says the new fleet of 10 fighters will enable the navy to carry out “strategic surveillance” over key areas of Mexico’s coastline.

Preliminary selection work was initiated in early 2005, and the navy is now entering into contract negotiations with Russia’s Rosboronexport agency for the purchase of eight single-seat Su-27s and two Su-27UB two-seat trainers. Local sources indicate that the entire package – which also includes spare parts, tools and personnel training – is worth slightly over $410 million.

AvengingAngel

It was designed to counter the Eagle and there are superficial similarities (eg. twin engines, twin vertical tails) but its definitely no copy.

No, what I meant was that the Flanker looked exactly like the F-15 Eagle because the design and technology were copied or stolen.

Any enthusiasts out there that know international trademark and copyright laws that you may think a copyright enfringement lawsuit could stand in the international court of law against countries that stole these technologies?

Scorpion82

No, what I meant was that the Flanker looked exactly like the F-15 Eagle because the design and technology were copied or stolen.

Any enthusiasts out there that know international trademark and copyright laws that you may think a copyright enfringement lawsuit could stand in the international court of law against countries that stole these technologies?
That's complete nonsense. The two aircraft are largely similar. Fuselage design, intakes, wing, stabilizers, engine separation etc. are all different. The only thing both designs have in common is that they are large, single seat, twin engined fighters with a similar airbrake position.

By the same measure you could say that the Americans have stolen the MiG-25 design...

Haavarla

I'm not sure you really mean the Su-27 design are that much alike the F-15C design..:confused:

Why don't you just copy paste a few good pics of both of them here in this thread, and point out to us all what why you think the Su-27 is a copy of the F-15C?
And pls do not try to ruin an otherwise nice thread.

One of the obvious similarity would be that both of them was intended for Air superority role and only A2A capability at the time.
The Flanker famely has gained some A2G capability, while US designed the F-15E for a Striker and left the F-15C for the same purpose to this day. And it still kicks ass with all the upgrades over the years.

Last edited:

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I'm hoping that the more senior and/or informed members bring this post back into line real soon, as the way its heading is not going to give it a long shelf life.

Others have already tried stopping the train from derailing, but this is borderline already.

It can and up as flame bait really quickly, so before its canned I'd suggest that those who want it to stay alive do some corrective surgery quick smart.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
That would be pretty smart of them. Sukhoi is fairly good about spare parts and maintenance, and this would reduce the multiple numbers of fighter types the Malaysians have in service. Also with the Brahmos, they would have significant maritime strike capability.

Haavarla

How about the $ 50M each!?

What was the F-15K price? Close to $ 100M?

If these figures stands, then it goes to show how much it cost to have a LIRP of F-15 going.. This is a robbery if we look at capability-wise..