Flanker Export Thread

Haavarla

"The Algerian additional order was negotiated earlier this month by Rosoboroneksport which said additional prospects for the aircraft in the region are possible"

Arabian Aerospace - Algeria orders 16 more Flankers from Rosenboronexport and Irkut

I wonder if this new Su-30MKA package will get some upgraded systems or engine?

What other current Flanker export deals have been signed?
Haven't Vietnam signed a flanker deal?
India will sign a new MKI deal if the reports are true.

Seems to me rosenboronexport with Sukhoi are doing pretty good these days.
Granted the many Flanker deals are not huge orders, it get the wheels turning and then some.

Thanks

Last edited:

Scorpion82

India intends to order another 42 aircraft (2 meant as replacement for the crashed examples). Vietnam placed an order for 12 Su-30MK2V which was confirmed in February this year (makes in total 24 for the VAF).

Awang se

Verified Defense Pro
Have anyone notice that no SU-27 or any of it's variants ever being shot down in 1 on 1 air combat?

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I once read an interesting article about the air part of the wars between Ethiopia and Erithrea. There MiG-29s and Su-27s piloted my mercenaries fought against each other. I am not sure but didn't both sides lost some of their fighters during that war?

I just can't find the article anymore... :(

Falstaff

Have anyone notice that no SU-27 or any of it's variants ever being shot down in 1 on 1 air combat?
And my Renault Clio was never beaten in a Formula 1 race. Oh wait, that's because it never took part in one :rolleyes:

Honestly, what's the point? When did Flankers ever take part in serious air combat?

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I once read an interesting article about the air part of the wars between Ethiopia and Erithrea. There MiG-29s and Su-27s piloted my mercenaries fought against each other. I am not sure but didn't both sides lost some of their fighters during that war?

I just can't find the article anymore... :(
I think there's some detail on ACIG re this. The 29's didn't fare well.
Honestly, what's the point? When did Flankers ever take part in serious air combat?
I'd be more interested in seeing what the after market versions of a Flanker would be like. The Israelis did some very speccy stuff with the Mig29 Sniper conversion, it would be interesting to see what they've done with the Flankers that they've had access to.

Haavarla

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Let us not turn this thread into a Flanker vs rest of the world.
My intension with this thread was to get a status of which reecent Flanker deals have been signed for export.
Which country, how many units etc etc.

So far we got Vietnam with 12 Su-30?
And Algeria with additional 16 Su-30MKA.

India has yet to sign any new Su-30MKI deal, which could up to 46-50MKIs.

Have all of the Su-30 deal for Vennezuela been delivered?

Thanks

STURM

I think there's some detail on ACIG re this. The 29's didn't fare well.
According to an article in AFM, the Alamo missile didn't perform well in the conflict.
A few Fulcrums were downed by Russian pilots in Flankers but no Flankers.

Off-topic but apart from a Cessna destroyed by a Cuban Fulcrum, have Fulcrums ever shot down anything in combat? If i'm not mistaken ACIG has articles of Fulcrums being shotdown in the Azeri/Armenia conflict or was it in Moldavia?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
My intension with this thread was to get a status of which reecent Flanker deals have been signed for export.

Thanks
The entire Venezuelan order was delivered. No follow on orders were made. The Algerian MKAs are a replacement for the Fulcrums which they returned (from what I understand).

Scorpion82

@Haarvala,
that's correct Vietnam recently ordered 12 aircraft, but has previously placed 2 orders (4+8) which results in a total of 24 aircraft.

@gf,
the MiG-29 Sniper was a collaborative effort between Aerostar, DASA and Elbit. It was a cockpit and avionics upgrade, but not a sensors or weapons upgrade. We see similar upgrades for eastern European countries these days.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
@gf,
the MiG-29 Sniper was a collaborative effort between Aerostar, DASA and Elbit. It was a cockpit and avionics upgrade, but not a sensors or weapons upgrade. We see similar upgrades for eastern European countries these days.
I was under the impression that Stage 2 of that upgrade included a weapons sensor update as part of the qualification for acceptance into service as a NATO certified upgrade. The romanians ran out of money so it didn't get to Stage 2, instead they went to the lancer as it was a cheaper interim solution.

Haavarla

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just read this article.

NEW DELHI: The Cabinet Committee on Security earlier this month quietly cleared one of the biggest defence orders of recent times.

The almost Rs 15,000 crore order for an additional 42 Sukhoi-30 MKI fighters would add up the total number of these modern Russian fighters for Indian Air Force to 272.

When the entire Sukhoi-30 MKIs, including the 42, are delivered to IAF by around 2018, it would become the single largest type of fighters in service, marking a huge technological transition from the dominance of MIG-21 fighters today.

A senior official said the CCS cleared the new order in the first week of June.

By the time HAL begins manufacture of the 42 aircraft sometime in 2014, each of them would cost in the range of Rs 350 crore, according to present day projections.

The new order for Sukhoi-30 MKIs comes even as attention is fully on the tender floated by the Air Force for $10 billion worth 126 MMRCA (medium multi role combat aircraft). But by the time the MMRCA enters the service, it would be the Sukhoi-30 MKI that would actually be the dominant fighter of the Air Force. And the combined contract value of SU-30 MKIs would be more than double that of the MMRCA.

The Su-30 MKI was originally contracted in 1996, when the Russian military-industrial complex was in a shambles after the Soviet Union collapsed. Its design and capabilities, however, continues to impress globally.

The initial contract was for 50 fighters, at $1.46 billion. Over the years, the numbers kept increasing. In 2000, the government contracted the licenced production of 140 of these highly advanced fighters by the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited. Then another 40 were added to the contract.

The present order for 42 fighters was originally supposed to be 40, but two more were added to the order book to make up for the two crashed fighters. A senior official said that HAL is expected to complete all the SU-30 MKI orders by 2016-17 period.

HAL has been steadily stepping up its Sukhoi-30 MKI delivery schedules. While last year it delivered 23 of these fighters, this year it is expected to produce 28. HAL has already supplied 74 of these fighters.

Rs 15,000 crore Sukhoi deal cleared - India - The Times of India

I wonder how the MKI spec requirement will look like, when HAL/IAPO starts the production in 2014.
Surly they would upgrade the BAR Radar by then.
But will they get the 117-S engines?

Thanks

Last edited:

Scorpion82

I was under the impression that Stage 2 of that upgrade included a weapons sensor update as part of the qualification for acceptance into service as a NATO certified upgrade. The romanians ran out of money so it didn't get to Stage 2, instead they went to the lancer as it was a cheaper interim solution.
Not that I know. To my knowledge the Romanians decided against the MiG-29 upgrade on grounds of operating costs and possibly numbers (only 18 MiG-29s were in service).

T.C.P

Thanks
I read that Malaysia received 18 su-30MKMs in 2008

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Su-30MKM is participating in the next Malaysian tender. So they may get more.

weasel1962

Re:

The indonesians got a few recently.

The Ugandans ordered a few recently as well...

The order biggies are still with china (speculation about carrier-based ones), india (expanded order recently) and the russkis.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Ugandan order got scrapped, instead they're overhauling their Mig-21s.