China - Geostrategic & Geopolitical.

SolarWind

That's private investment. If the CCP confiscates overseas investment during a war with the US, that's tough bananas for the companies that got involved. Washington is under no obligation to follow a foreign policy that benefits specific companies, nor is there any benefit to sacrificing Taiwan just to protect investment in China. Plus if American investments in China got confiscated, you can bet China wouldn't be allowed to cash in its US T-bonds.

Or to put it another way, if Washington's top concern was the security of overseas investments it would not be following its current foreign policy.
I am tempted to agree with most of what you say, but I think you have missed my point completely. China is a rational player and may prefer economic benefits of peace to horrors of war.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am tempted to agree with most of what you say, but I think you have missed my point completely. China is a rational player and may prefer economic benefits of peace to horrors of war.
You are presuming that the Standing Committee of the Politburo of the CCP are measuring their aims in economic terms. At the present point in time the evidence suggests otherwise because of the damage that recent decisions made by the Politburo Standing Committee have caused to the economy and population.

The trade war with Australia resulting in Australian coal being banned has caused power blackouts because the PRC power generation capability is hugely dependent upon coal. As a result factories have had to reduce output or shut down completely. Whole regions have sustained electricity blackouts meaning people cannot heat their homes because electricity is the principle source of home heating. Some people have resorted to using their gas cooking appliances to try and elicit some heat, resulting in some devastating fires. Whole buildings and city blocks have been destroyed because of gas explosions. Winter is coming with snow arriving a month early in the north of the country.

Multiple sources for this are easily found.

cdxbow

Do you mean to say that they actually stopped?
I thought there has been a little decrease in the relentless belligerence and a softening in the extreme rhetoric from the PRC over the last month or so. Perhaps I was hoping too much that they would behave more civilly to their neighbours.
I was wrong. Back to business as usual for the PRC. Keep circling those wagons.

cdxbow

The disappearance of Peng Shuai after her accusation of sexual assault at the hands of a 75 yo CPC official is proving problematical for the PRC, even the UN has become involved. Peng Shuai: UN calls for proof of Chinese tennis star's whereabouts - CNN however its the WTA that may be more effective- WTA’s hardline approach to Peng Shuai presents China with new problem | China | The Guardian i think this is the first time an organization like the WTA has not kowtowed to the CPC. Let the games begin. This is a public relations disaster for the PRC, one they have handled very badly. Beijing’s propagandists flounder as the world asks, ‘Where is Peng Shuai?’ | The Strategist (aspistrategist.org.au)

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
The disappearance of Peng Shuai after her accusation of sexual assault at the hands of a 75 yo CPC official is proving problematical for the PRC, even the UN has become involved. Peng Shuai: UN calls for proof of Chinese tennis star's whereabouts - CNN however its the WTA that may be more effective- WTA’s hardline approach to Peng Shuai presents China with new problem | China | The Guardian i think this is the first time an organization like the WTA has not kowtowed to the CPC. Let the games begin. This is a public relations disaster for the PRC, one they have handled very badly. Beijing’s propagandists flounder as the world asks, ‘Where is Peng Shuai?’ | The Strategist (aspistrategist.org.au)
Time for those parasites at the IOC to take some action. Frankly the whole management of the Olympics needs a massive overhaul starting with cancellation of the 2022 games.

cdxbow

Time for those parasites at the IOC to take some action. Frankly the whole management of the Olympics needs a massive overhaul starting with cancellation of the 2022 games.
Interesting the different responses by the two thus far. I suspect the IOC will remain invertebrates. Events like this presents a challenge to the PRC in our modern information rich & connected societies, It will be fascinating to see how it plays out over the next few months. I hope she is well and remains that way.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
They won't.
Interesting the different responses by the two thus far. I suspect the IOC will remain invertebrates. Events like this presents a challenge to the PRC in our modern information rich & connected societies, It will be fascinating to see how it plays out over the next few months. I hope she is well and remains that way.
She won't be in a good place, unfortunately. The accusations that she went public with have struck to close to the heart of the CCP. The perp was a member of the Standing Committee of the Politburo and he's too well protected by whichever faction he belongs to. If he belongs to the Jiang faction then the Public Security Bureau or People’s Police will most likely have her. If he belongs to the Xi faction, who knows who has her. Whoever has her means her future's not looking good.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Wumao and 50cents are working hard on circulating that photos in many online sources and forums. So she will come out eventually after satisfying bureau of reeducation committee :cool:.

Bit disappointed that they're not trying to do the same in here. They can be entertaining .

Musashi_kenshin

As there's not really anything that can be done for Peng Shuai now, I'm rather hoping that the CCP overplays its hand such that the WTA feels it has no choice but to pull future tournaments out of China.

Reportedly the CCP's stringent border controls means that the WTA had to learn to cope without the Chinese market, so they don't have much to lose. But the global image will be of a major sporting organisation standing up to the CCP and doing well without the China market.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Interesting to see where this diplomatic Olympic boycott goes, basically a slap on the wrist. IMO the games should be canceled outright.

Notice the appeasement comment from the Canadian IOC representative in the attached link. what a complete wanker! The best thing that ever happened to Toronto was losing the 1996 Olympics bid, largely attributed to an off colour comment from the mayor at the time.

Canada in discussions with 'closest partners' on possible Olympic boycott

@John Fedup there is no need for personal abuse. 3 demerit points for 2 months.
Ngatimozart.

Last edited by a moderator:

SolarWind

The idea of the Olympics is to foster peaceful productive competition between nations in order to promote friendship, goodwill, cooperation, and deter armed conflict, which in China's case does not seem to be working. Can you foster goodwill and friendship with a bully who seems to enjoy taking advantage of you at every opportunity?

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
The idea of the Olympics is to foster peaceful productive competition between nations in order to promote friendship, goodwill, cooperation, and deter armed conflict, which in China's case does not seem to be working. Can you foster goodwill and friendship with a bully who seems to enjoy taking advantage of you at every opportunity?
The response is not specific to China, but I would suggest reconsidering the question given the history of the 20th Century included two World Wars, the rise of fascism (including the 1936 Olympics being held in Nazi Germany...) and a decades long Cold War. One of the things which occurred during various Olympic Games during (and after) the Cold War was that medal competitions between Cold War rivals in some ways served as a proxy for other types of competition between power rivals. In many respects the same is true with medal counts between various countries now.

If nations' are competing for medals, and are willing to go to extreme (not to mention questionable and/or outright dishonest) measures to 'win' such competitions, then the Olympic Games are really serving as a non-violent, proxy battlefield rather than fostering friendship, cooperation. or goodwill.

SolarWind

The response is not specific to China, but I would suggest reconsidering the question given the history of the 20th Century included two World Wars, the rise of fascism (including the 1936 Olympics being held in Nazi Germany...) and a decades long Cold War. One of the things which occurred during various Olympic Games during (and after) the Cold War was that medal competitions between Cold War rivals in some ways served as a proxy for other types of competition between power rivals. In many respects the same is true with medal counts between various countries now.

If nations' are competing for medals, and are willing to go to extreme (not to mention questionable and/or outright dishonest) measures to 'win' such competitions, then the Olympic Games are really serving as a non-violent, proxy battlefield rather than fostering friendship, cooperation. or goodwill.
When both opposing camps want it and the argument is possible to resolve via sports, it's possible like you suggest. In the Cold War, the clash was mostly about ideology, and, in part, how ideology affects the individual, and, to a lesser extent, the economy. This is no longer the case, and now it is more about nationalism and historical revanschism carried or intended to be carried out through so called "gathering of lands" either through military, diplomatic, or cultural conquest, or a combination of the above.

Last edited:

swerve

Super Moderator
China is claiming that the Chinese model of government (portrayed as selection for office on merit) is superior, & pointing to China's rise as proof. In that case, at least, there's a strong element of ideology accompanying the nationalism.

Russia, on the other hand, is becoming more & more an openly gangster-ruled state, with nothing except weaponry to boast about.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

Like I said in my previous post, she will eventually come out. After the Commitee of Reeducation Bureau satisfied enough ;).
I note that Peng Shuai's call to the IOC was "... with IOC president Thomas Bach, athletes commission chair Emma Terho and IOC member Li Lingwei, a former vice president of the Chinese Tennis Association ..." so that makes me somewhat sceptical straight away because of the presence of a PRC appointee at the IOC end of the call. The local news here said that after the call the WTA are still quite concerned about Peng Shuai's health and wellbeing, and are very sceptical of the situation surrounding the call. They haven't resiled from their position.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
so that makes me somewhat sceptical straight away because of the presence of a PRC appointee at the IOC end of the call.
Off course she will have chaperone, after all she's not done complete reeducation yet :D. It will taken more time to have her talk independently, let alone let her play outside the country again.

Anyway, Xi's now also taking more action to keep the Billioners in line.

The fines is negligible for companies that sizes. However for us in the market, it shown China Regulator now taking more steps to keep the business practices in line with new rules of games. No more free practices on certain 'golden' boys anymore. So if they can reprimanded and keep the Billioners in line, then off course 'just' an athlete has to know her/his place.