China - Geostrategic & Geopolitical.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
I d
I note that Peng Shuai's call to the IOC was "... with IOC president Thomas Bach, athletes commission chair Emma Terho and IOC member Li Lingwei, a former vice president of the Chinese Tennis Association ..." so that makes me somewhat sceptical straight away because of the presence of a PRC appointee at the IOC end of the call. The local news here said that after the call the WTA are still quite concerned about Peng Shuai's health and wellbeing, and are very sceptical of the situation surrounding the call. They haven't resiled from their position.

I doubt if she will ever be allowed to travel internationally again. Probably won’t see many matches either.

President Xi doing comedy routines now. Xi tells Southeast Asian leaders China does not seek 'hegemony' - CNN Even 'Dirty Harry' called him out.
I just read the article, haven’t laughed so hard in a while. I would have more respect for the CCP if they didn’t try pretend to be the good guys anymore and just speak plainly.
The way they are behaving is more akin to a hormonal 13 year old.
Hopefully they will understand soon that nothing good can become of a war between peers.

Sandhi Yudha

|"China was, is, and will always be a good neighbor, good friend, and good partner of ASEAN," Chinese state media quoted Xi as saying."|

Xi is indeed a great stand-up comedian.

|“ "We cannot afford to damage diplomatic relations over this issue,” Aluthgamage said explaining the government’s volte face. "|

You don't need to be a genius to understand that Sri Lanka is now a vassal/puppet state of china.

Another smart move of china. And this situation is caused by the acquirement of a loan in 2015 by Uganda to upgrade and expand their only international airport.

But some people in Uganda deny it.

cdxbow

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I had a giggle at this one - China’s coal trade backfires after purchasing 2.78 million tonnes of Australian coal | news.com.au — Australia’s leading news site ASPI estimating the ban on Australian coal is costing the PRC 2 billion dollars per week, because they are paying more than double the market price. It really shows how willing they are to hurt us in Oz.

I don't think it will ever be forgotten here, trust has been destroyed completely.
The article is a bit misleading when it crowed about some PRC residents losing traffic lights and phone coverage due to blackouts. That was the least of their problems. Whole cities were without heating at the onset of winter in the north with the first snows arriving a month early. Heating is by electricity and cooking is by reticulated gas. It hasn't helped that their has been a spate of unexplained gas explosions in recent weeks.

Musashi_kenshin

Whole cities were without heating at the onset of winter in the north with the first snows arriving a month early. Heating is by electricity and cooking is by reticulated gas. It hasn't helped that their has been a spate of unexplained gas explosions in recent weeks.
Chinese nationalists used to crow that the PRC's system of government was superior because it guaranteed people a good lifestyle if they worked hard. It appears that ensuring they were kept warm was not part of the deal.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Chinese nationalists used to crow that the PRC's system of government was superior because it guaranteed people a good lifestyle if they worked hard. It appears that ensuring they were kept warm was not part of the deal.
PRC nationalists never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Musashi_kenshin

Not to forget how you still can't drink tap water in China, even in first-tier cities, and it's still not clear when or if the government is going to try to fix the issue. Another thing Chinese nationalists won't talk about when they claim China will be number 1 soon.

I like the term “PRC nationalists” rather than “Chinese nationalists”, the latter is the label for the anti-Communist forces that retreated to Taiwan in 1949.
Meh, I don't know. These days the hardcore Chinese nationalists in Taiwan have mostly thrown their lot in with the CCP, as they care more about $$$ than anything else. There's not really a lot of proper Chinese nationalists left in Taiwan who believe in an independent ROC living alongside the PRC.

SolarWind

I think the drinkability of tap water should be added to official modern second vs. third world country distinguishing characteristics. With all of its ambition, the CCP still can't manage to maintain a decent standard of living for its citizens, in this regard following right in the footsteps of the late USSR. I don't know how they will motivate their army in case of war or what they can offer to their client states other than technologies the CCP coerced and stole. Of course in the case of war their $$$ won't mean much since they are highly dependent on imports for food and energy.

Last edited:

SolarWind

Is there an official list? Also, this could lead to uncomfortable questions about some more developed countries' status given their water quality issues.
These lists are not official in the sense of being backed by law or international agreements, but more in the way of terminology used in research by organizations. Several classifying/ranking term groups exist using varying criteria. Water quality already is considered to play part in classification for some defining term groups. If you want a more in depth on this topic please let me know, but I think this suffice. Honestly, I was not being entirely serious on that particular statement you quote, as I interpret a minor part of the exchange on the forum to be more in the realm of humor.

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
No one has said anything about athletes boycotting the games. It just the pollies and diplomats boycotting them.

seaspear

Its so fascinating the silence on the fate of the Uyghurs coming from nations that promote Islamic heritage
certainly, this article suggests that most Islamic countries connected to Chinas Belt and Road initiative have remained silent
it could be interesting to see which way Israel goes on this and what its neighbours say

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
No one has said anything about athletes boycotting the games. It just the pollies and diplomats boycotting them.
I understand that and I realize the mega-disappointment for young athletes who have trained so hard for the experience of a lifetime should the boycott be extended to them. As I said earlier, perhaps Omicron will make a boycott moot.