The Australia-United States Ministerial Consultations (AUSMIN) talks next week come at a time when Australia’s most important ally is reassessing its strategic policy and disposition of forces in the Asia-Pacific region. Australia’s security has long depended upon a robust US military presence in the Western Pacific. But America’s pre-eminence is under challenge with the rise of China.
This paper analyses the options for a local US military presence and the implications for Australia.
For Australia, the presence of US forces is about much more than just their physical presence. It is about declaring our strategic intent in the burgeoning Sino-US competition in the Asia-Pacific.Whither US Forces? US Military Presence in the Asia-Pacific and the Implications for Australia (158 downloads)
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- UFO or secret fighter jet?
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- F-35 - International Participation
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Ukranian Crisis
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- New Zealand Army Organisation
- US Navy News and updates
- Armored Vehicle Recognition Guide
- Australian Defense Forces Recruiting Foreign Military Personnel
- Land 400
- Singapore Army Pictures - 2014 Onwards
- Republic of Singapore Air Force
- Question from Military Fiction Author on bridge destruction