The Australia-United States Ministerial Consultations (AUSMIN) talks next week come at a time when Australia’s most important ally is reassessing its strategic policy and disposition of forces in the Asia-Pacific region. Australia’s security has long depended upon a robust US military presence in the Western Pacific. But America’s pre-eminence is under challenge with the rise of China.
This paper analyses the options for a local US military presence and the implications for Australia.
For Australia, the presence of US forces is about much more than just their physical presence. It is about declaring our strategic intent in the burgeoning Sino-US competition in the Asia-Pacific.Whither US Forces? US Military Presence in the Asia-Pacific and the Implications for Australia (177 downloads)
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Russian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- Ukranian Crisis
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Where are the Russian weapons in Syria?
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal Canadian Navy Discussions and updates
- The Indonesian Army
- Poland plans to purchase heli platform
- Naval Exercises
- Singapore Army Pictures - 2014 Onwards
- Iraq war/unrest/fighting
- New Zealand Army Organisation
- RMAF Future; need opinions
- [ List of "Active" Military Aircraft ] All Nations