The Australia-United States Ministerial Consultations (AUSMIN) talks next week come at a time when Australia’s most important ally is reassessing its strategic policy and disposition of forces in the Asia-Pacific region. Australia’s security has long depended upon a robust US military presence in the Western Pacific. But America’s pre-eminence is under challenge with the rise of China.
This paper analyses the options for a local US military presence and the implications for Australia.
For Australia, the presence of US forces is about much more than just their physical presence. It is about declaring our strategic intent in the burgeoning Sino-US competition in the Asia-Pacific.
|Title:||Whither US Forces? US Military Presence in the Asia-Pacific and the Implications for Australia|
|File Size:||37.94 kB|
|Download Link:||Whither US Forces? US Military Presence in the Asia-Pacific and the Implications for Australia|
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Pakistan Air Force [PAF] News and Discussions
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- South China Sea News & Discussions, incl Spratly Islands News
- NZDF General discussion thread
- Russian Navy Discussions and Updates
- F-35B/C - Naval Air Discussions (USN & USMC)
- F-35 Program - General Discussion
- Indonesian Aero News
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- ADF General discussion thread
- Singapore Army Pictures
- "Across the Beach"- AAVs for the Australian Army ?
- Russian Air Force News & Discussion
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates