The Australia-United States Ministerial Consultations (AUSMIN) talks next week come at a time when Australia’s most important ally is reassessing its strategic policy and disposition of forces in the Asia-Pacific region. Australia’s security has long depended upon a robust US military presence in the Western Pacific. But America’s pre-eminence is under challenge with the rise of China.
This paper analyses the options for a local US military presence and the implications for Australia.
For Australia, the presence of US forces is about much more than just their physical presence. It is about declaring our strategic intent in the burgeoning Sino-US competition in the Asia-Pacific.Whither US Forces? US Military Presence in the Asia-Pacific and the Implications for Australia (178 downloads)
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- US Attacks Syria footage
- Australian Army Discussions and Updates
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- Iraq war/unrest/fighting
- Surface Warfare Training
- Ukranian Crisis
- Indonesian Aero News
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Aviation maintenance school | Aviation maintenance training
- Indonesia: 'green water navy'
- Russian Air Force News & Discussion
- Royal Canadian Navy Discussions and updates
- Battle of the Tuetoberg Forest
- F-35B/C - Naval Air Discussions (USN & USMC)
- Russian Navy Discussions and Updates