The Swedish Defence Material Administration signed a contract with Diehl Defence to deliver IRIS-T SLS surface-to-air missile (SAM) systems for the country’s armed forces.
The new units comprising the IRIS-T missile, missile launching station and fire control system are to improve the national air defence by protection against air attacks from a large variety of threats including missiles, helicopters and aircraft.
Following deployment, the mobile system allows fully automatic operation 24 hours a day. The Swedish Army will operate the SAM fire units, together with a new Command and Control System as well as modernized sensors from Saab.
IRIS-T SLS employs the standard IRIS-T air-to-air missile and is the short-range complement to the medium-range IRIS-T SLM ground-based air defence system of Diehl Defence.
With the IRIS-T SLS/SLM ground-based air defence systems, Diehl is setting new standards in open system design architectures providing maximum flexibility for new weapon systems as well as for the modernization/upgrade of legacy equipment. IRIS-T SLM is based on the SAM system development in Germany for national air defence.
Delivery of the first IRIS-T SLS systems is scheduled to commence in 2016. As partner of the European missile program, Sweden has already introduced the IRIS-T air-to-air missile for its Gripen fighter aircraft.
Related Topic Tags
Keywords:Iris-T SLM, iris t slm, iris t sls, ISRI-t missile
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Singapore Navy
- Ukranian Crisis
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- APC BTR -80 Overhauling /servicing WORKSHOP
- Royal Air Force [RAF] discussions and updates
- US Navy News and updates
- F-35 Program - General Discussion
- Royal Canadian Navy Discussions and updates
- Republic of Singapore Air Force
- Т-35A Up and Running
- F-35 - International Participation
- China invasion of Johnson Reef of Vietnam on March 14th 1988
- Australian Army Discussions and Updates
- Republic of Singapore Air Force Discussions