The formal decision to participate in the UN mission was taken by the Swedish Parliament at the beginning of April 2011 and the first mission over Libya was flown on 8 April.
After a successful operation comprising 650 combat missions, almost 2,000 flight hours and more than 150,000 reconnaissance photos, the Swedish contribution ended on 24 October.
In total, 140 people participated in the operation based at Sigonella, Sicily, Italy. The five pilots have flown their final surveillance missions and are back in Sweden. The remaining personnel will return home this weekend.
Related Topic Tags
Keywords:Gripens over Libya, swedish gripen lybia
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Indian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Indian Army News and Discussion
- RussianLand Forces Thread
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Iraq war/unrest/fighting
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Ukranian Crisis
- PC GAMES (Defence/Military, Strategy)
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- Compact Fusion Reactor
- Brazilian Air Force News and Discussion
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Indonesian Aero News
- New Zealand Army Organisation
- Future of the French/Russian Mistral LHDs