India successfully test-fired a new anti-ballistic missile on Sunday in a step towards developing a missile defence system which only an elite club of countries has built.
The test was conducted off the east coast on Sunday morning, the Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) told the Press Trust of India news agency.
“The trial was conducted successfully and all the mission objectives were met,” said DRDO spokesman Ravi Kumar Gupta.
The missile, which was tested at Wheeler Island off the coast of Orissa, is capable of intercepting targets outside the earth’s atmosphere.
India has a double-layered ballistic missile defence program which can destroy missiles at higher as well as lower altitudes.
Only a small number of countries including the United States and Russia have anti-ballistic missile systems.
India, the world’s second-most populous country, has been stepping up efforts to position itself as a strong regional power in Asia.
The nuclear-armed country has fought three wars with Pakistan and one war with China.
Related Topic Tags
Keywords:which sequrity agence protect indoan mesile
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal Air Force [RAF] discussions and updates
- RussianLand Forces Thread
- Juan Carlos / Canberra Class LHD
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Russian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Ukranian Crisis
- Some newer stuff from me...so far
- Singapore Army Pictures - 2014 Onwards
- How truly capable is the United States Navy?
- US Navy News and updates
- Singapore Navy
- Merkava for Singapore ?
- Indonesia: 'green water navy'