India successfully test-fired a new anti-ballistic missile on Sunday in a step towards developing a missile defence system which only an elite club of countries has built.
The test was conducted off the east coast on Sunday morning, the Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) told the Press Trust of India news agency.
“The trial was conducted successfully and all the mission objectives were met,” said DRDO spokesman Ravi Kumar Gupta.
The missile, which was tested at Wheeler Island off the coast of Orissa, is capable of intercepting targets outside the earth’s atmosphere.
India has a double-layered ballistic missile defence program which can destroy missiles at higher as well as lower altitudes.
Only a small number of countries including the United States and Russia have anti-ballistic missile systems.
India, the world’s second-most populous country, has been stepping up efforts to position itself as a strong regional power in Asia.
The nuclear-armed country has fought three wars with Pakistan and one war with China.
Related Topic Tags
Keywords:india anti bllastic misile pic
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Juan Carlos / Canberra Class LHD
- Future of the French/Russian Mistral LHDs
- New Zealand Army Organisation
- NZDF General discussion thread
- The Royal Navy Discussions and Updates
- Russian Air Force News & Discussion
- Iraq war/unrest/fighting
- Arms Race in Space
- F-35 - International Participation
- F-35 Program - General Discussion
- Possible Singaporean Aircraft Carrier
- French Armée de l'Air News & Discussion
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- RussianLand Forces Thread