South Africa had purchased nine dual seat and seventeen single-seat aircraft from Sweden in 2008 out of which all the dual seat Gripens and 13 single seat Gripens have already been delivered.
The final four aircraft were retained in Sweden to take part in Exercise Lion Effort in May this year. The aircrafts were towed by road from Kungsängens airport to the port of Norrköping on August 29.
They were loaded on the Aarchangelgracht cargo ship at the Norrkoping port. The ship is due to arrive in Table Bay Harbour, Cape Town in mid-September, from where the aircraft will be towed to the nearby Ysterplaat airforce base.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Indian Navy contemplating CVN. Folly or Vision?
- Iraq war/unrest/fighting
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates
- US Navy News and updates
- Ukranian Crisis
- Russia's Arctic Expansion
- Australian Army Discussions and Updates
- Indonesia: 'green water navy'
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- Philippine Navy @ Janes Fighting Ships 2014-2015
- F-35 - International Participation
- ASEAN (and ADMM Plus) Military Exercises
- Assad's strategic options
- Indonesian Aero News