South Africa had purchased nine dual seat and seventeen single-seat aircraft from Sweden in 2008 out of which all the dual seat Gripens and 13 single seat Gripens have already been delivered.
The final four aircraft were retained in Sweden to take part in Exercise Lion Effort in May this year. The aircrafts were towed by road from Kungsängens airport to the port of Norrköping on August 29.
They were loaded on the Aarchangelgracht cargo ship at the Norrkoping port. The ship is due to arrive in Table Bay Harbour, Cape Town in mid-September, from where the aircraft will be towed to the nearby Ysterplaat airforce base.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- Future of the French/Russian Mistral LHDs
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- F-35B/C - Naval Air Discussions (USN & USMC)
- F-35 - International Participation
- New Zealand Army Organisation
- Indonesia: 'green water navy'
- Iraq war/unrest/fighting
- Flanker Export Thread
- North Korean Military.
- Underwater UFO at Sweden
- Brazilian Air Force News and Discussion
- Iran Inaugurates Production Line of HAFEZ Radar System
- Royal Canadian Navy Discussions and updates
- Royal Air Force [RAF] discussions and updates
- Indian Navy Discussions and Updates