South Africa had purchased nine dual seat and seventeen single-seat aircraft from Sweden in 2008 out of which all the dual seat Gripens and 13 single seat Gripens have already been delivered.
The final four aircraft were retained in Sweden to take part in Exercise Lion Effort in May this year. The aircrafts were towed by road from Kungsängens airport to the port of Norrköping on August 29.
They were loaded on the Aarchangelgracht cargo ship at the Norrkoping port. The ship is due to arrive in Table Bay Harbour, Cape Town in mid-September, from where the aircraft will be towed to the nearby Ysterplaat airforce base.
Related Topic Tags
Keywords:defence talk africa
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- F-18 Advanced Hornet
- RAAF Stand-off Missiles Fire and Forget?
- Russian Air Force News & Discussion
- US Navy News and updates
- Indonesian Aero News
- The Indonesian Army
- F-35 - International Participation
- Drones attacks by the US
- Ukranian Crisis
- RussianLand Forces Thread
- Battlefield communications in high radiation environments
- Opinions on military and strategy games
- Singapore Army Pictures - 2014 Onwards
- Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates
- Republic of Singapore Air Force