South Africa had purchased nine dual seat and seventeen single-seat aircraft from Sweden in 2008 out of which all the dual seat Gripens and 13 single seat Gripens have already been delivered.
The final four aircraft were retained in Sweden to take part in Exercise Lion Effort in May this year. The aircrafts were towed by road from Kungsängens airport to the port of Norrköping on August 29.
They were loaded on the Aarchangelgracht cargo ship at the Norrkoping port. The ship is due to arrive in Table Bay Harbour, Cape Town in mid-September, from where the aircraft will be towed to the nearby Ysterplaat airforce base.
Related Topic Tags
Related Defense, Military & Aerospace Forum Discussions
- South Korean Navy
- Australian Army Discussions and Updates
- Republic of Singapore Air Force
- NZDF General discussion thread
- Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates
- North Korean Military.
- Principles of Strategy and Tactics
- Chinese 'air defence identification zone' in East China Sea
- Implications of Scottish Independence
- US Navy News and updates
- Iraqi Air Force and Air Defense
- Indian Military Aviation; News, Updates & Discussions
- Singapore Army Pictures
- F-18 Advanced Hornet
- Stealthiest yet : RQ-180 Revealed