US Navy News and updates

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
h/t to Steve Timble who has a scoop — the LSRS AAS has reached Milestone C.
This LSRS AAS radar pod is a double sided AESA array for scanning, mapping, tracking and classifying targets that can track high value targets, follow their vehicles, map the locations they frequent for movement, and make it impossible to hide — converting the MPA into a spy plane. For details see: Exclusive: P-8 Poseidon Flies With Shadowy Radar System Attached

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

They talking here about "a threat-representative Intercontinental Ballistic Missile (ICBM) target" and "ICBM-class target". Its quite confusing, do they really used an ICBM, an other kind of missile pretending to be an ICBM, or was it a computer simulation?

Boagrius

I suspect it would be a target missile designed to replicate specific ICBM behaviour rather than an actual ICBM. AFAIK both NG and Aerojet Rocketdyne provide MDA with their target missiles.

Sandhi Yudha

I suspect it would be a target missile designed to replicate specific ICBM behaviour rather than an actual ICBM. AFAIK both NG and Aerojet Rocketdyne provide MDA with their target missiles.

Thank you.

On this link they also tell that its a real-life test, not just a simulation. But also here no details about the target.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Just add article from Navy Times on USN decision to scrap Bonhomme Richard. One point that I found interesting is from 10 LHA/LHD only half being prepared for F-35B operation, and that includes Bonhomme Richard.

For me it's interesting, since F-35B supposed as Harrier replacement. If all those 10 can operate Harriers, why only half being prepared for F-35B? I know there'll adjustments on Flight decks heat resistance and other supporting facilities for F-35B, but why only prepared for half on 10 large amphibious ? I thought that all Harriers being prepared to be phased out soon. Am I missing something ?

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

Just add article from Navy Times on USN decision to scrap Bonhomme Richard. One point that I found interesting is from 10 LHA/LHD only half being prepared for F-35B operation, and that includes Bonhomme Richard.

For me it's interesting, since F-35B supposed as Harrier replacement. If all those 10 can operate Harriers, why only half being prepared for F-35B? I know there'll adjustments on Flight decks heat resistance and other supporting facilities for F-35B, but why only prepared for half on 10 large amphibious ? I thought that all Harriers being prepared to be phased out soon. Am I missing something ?
My understanding of that link is that only 4 Amphips + BHR have been converted to 35B so far.
I assume the other conversions will follow in due course.

swerve

Super Moderator
Four converted - but what about Tripoli? Wouldn't she have been built F-35B ready? Commissioned this year!

So, does the USN now have four converted plus one purpose-built, leaving four awaiting conversion, or did someone include a ship built for F-35B when they said "converted"?

The contract to convert USS Boxer was signed about 6 months ago, so she's not done yet. Wasp & Essex have deployed with F-35B - converted. Ditto America. Which others, if any?

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Four converted - but what about Tripoli? Wouldn't she have been built F-35B ready? Commissioned this year!

So, does the USN now have four converted plus one purpose-built, leaving four awaiting conversion, or did someone include a ship built for F-35B when they said "converted"?

The contract to convert USS Boxer was signed about 6 months ago, so she's not done yet. Wasp & Essex have deployed with F-35B - converted. Ditto America. Which others, if any?
I assume the America and Tripoli are purpose built and Essex and Wasp are converted, that must be the 4
Then Bougainville is the next America class (1)
Leaving Bataan, Iwo Jima, Kearsage and Makin Island (4) waiting for conversion.
Total 9 x Amphibs leaving one short (BHR) of the planned 10

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Perhaps for time being they can cross decking with both RN Carriers. Considering UK will also take time to equip each carrier with 2 Sq F-35B as plan. This's until USN able to replace Bonhomme Richard and back to 10 Large Amphibs.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Perhaps for time being they can cross decking with both RN Carriers. Considering UK will also take time to equip each carrier with 2 Sq F-35B as plan. This's until USN able to replace Bonhomme Richard and back to 10 Large Amphibs.
Or cross deck with Canberra and Adelaide? A long shot I know, but they are in the right region and the basic design should be upgradable for F-35B.

swerve

Super Moderator
I assume the America and Tripoli are purpose built and Essex and Wasp are converted, that must be the 4
Then Bougainville is the next America class (1)
Leaving Bataan, Iwo Jima, Kearsage and Makin Island (4) waiting for conversion.
Total 9 x Amphibs leaving one short (BHR) of the planned 10
I did some searching. Apparently America wasn't F-35B-ready when commissioned. By the time details of what was needed were finalised it would have caused a delay in construction, & it was reckoned it'd be easier to build her, then convert, than do changes while building. But the changes (now done) were less than needed for the Wasp-class.

swerve

Super Moderator
Or cross deck with Canberra and Adelaide? A long shot I know, but they are in the right region and the basic design should be upgradable for F-35B.
Basic design was done with F-35B in mind, but IIRC (don't hold me to it, though - I'm not completely sure) some work would still be needed. Deck heat treatment? Deck strengthening? I can't remember.

swerve

Super Moderator
USS Bougainville (the third America-class, which'll have a dock) is building, laid down 14th March 2019

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
A lot to be done even to just lily pad them; the decks would need treating etc. And, if you wanted to support them for any length of time during operations there would be AVCAT and munitions storage issues I suspect. Plus it might suggest that the RAAF should acquire some F35Bs of its own, and we can't have that, can we?

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
A lot to be done even to just lily pad them; the decks would need treating etc. And, if you wanted to support them for any length of time during operations there would be AVCAT and munitions storage issues I suspect. Plus it might suggest that the RAAF should acquire some F35Bs of its own, and we can't have that, can we?
Just suggesting that we should be a good Ally and make the offer. Of course the US would have to pay for the design changes, certification and training, but that's only fair as we are providing the platform.

If at the end of it all some in the RAAF think they might like to fly Bs off decks, that's an entirely different matter to be looked at when it arrives.;)

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just suggesting that we should be a good Ally and make the offer. Of course the US would have to pay for the design changes, certification and training, but that's only fair as we are providing the platform.
If that was the outcome, the fire investigators would be casting an eye to an Australian mastermind, maybe a member of the Navy league of Australia.

If your talking about coincidence, we have a Canberra in dry dock, undergoing long maintenance. And it would appear the US could do with another platform to train from. If a request was put through I think it would be seriously considered.
Basic design was done with F-35B in mind, but IIRC (don't hold me to it, though - I'm not completely sure) some work would still be needed. Deck heat treatment? Deck strengthening? I can't remember.
Last it looked like at least deck heat treatment and thermal management. But this is a known thing now, there is loads of experience and solutions. The JC1 was designed with the weight in mind so deck strength and lifts and dimensions shouldn't be an issue, the Spanish have also had a good go at burning the deck with the Harrier, to no damage.

It would be brilliant experience to have. Real up close assessment on the capabilities. However, LHD are busy ships.