US Navy News and updates

Systems Adict

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Just going through the various blogs I read every couple of days & found this snippet.

I was 'shocked;, but can understand some of the reasoning, as I've been following the down & dirty on LCS since 2001...

"As per NAVADMIN 187/20, the first four LCS; USS FREEDOM (LCS 1), USS INDEPENDENCE (LCS 2), USS FORT WORTH (LCS 3) and USS CORONADO (LCS 4) are all being decommissioned on 31 MAR 2021.

That is roughly 12.5 years, 10 years, 8.5 years, and 7 years of commissioned service
. "

LSC: Underperforming Even My Expectations

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
That is roughly 12.5 years, 10 years, 8.5 years, and 7 years of commissioned service. "

LSC: Underperforming Even My Expectations
This is really old news, so the reason why they're decommissioning them may not be clear. The first two of each type have been used for development and testing. They are bitzers, so hacked about as to hardly be sister ships of later vessels. Given the cost of supporting them, and the state of the hulls they're more expensive to keep than to replace. Off they go.

oldsig
(Edit...typo)

JohnJT

Just add from Xavier's Site. According to Naval News they will still have 32 Mk41 VLS (despite some speculation it will be only 16), and also with Aegis based sensors and enough range to do independent job. That's in my opinion mean it will still a capable Frigates that can do relative more expectations than OHP during it's time.
There are so many things to love about this design. The best thing for me about adopting the European design is it doesn't have the COGAG propulsion of most US combat ships. Thirsty GTs requiring heavy refueling support. Now we get CODLAG, quiet for ASW operations, long cruising range, but still having that GT kick of power when needed.

Fincantieri Wins $795M Contract for Navy Frigate Program - USNI News
The detail design and construction contract covers one ship in the current Fiscal Year 2020 and options for as many as nine more ships, for a total value of $5.58 billion if all options are exercised.
$5.58 billion for ten ships. Considering that includes design costs, that seems rather cheap for such a capable ship. The ten ship Italian FREMM project was budgeted at €5.9 billion (US$6.6 billion) back in 2013. The US ships will be larger and arguably more capable.

Does that price include the Government furnished equipment?

At that price there is bound to be a lot of foreign interest.

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Got this picture from Naval Recognition, in which the picture shown more detail projection ON FFGX weapons and sensors suit.
Based on that, well it's basically smaller Arleigh Burke. Definitely more capable than OHP they're replacing, and it's USN and not Euro standard eventough using FREMM based design.

Attachments

JohnJT

Got this picture from Naval Recognition, in which the picture shown more detail projection ON FFGX weapons and sensors suit.
Based on that, well it's basically smaller Arleigh Burke. Definitely more capable than OHP they're replacing, and it's USN and not Euro standard eventough using FREMM based design.
Here's the page link:

The program costs listed in this article are significantly higher than those published earlier. The navy is estimating $940 million each for later ships. This figure sounds more realistic to me, basically half the cost of an AB.

The number of ships being built by the PLAN is both impressive and alarming. We need to keep our naval strength high and designs like this can give us the numbers and capability we need.

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Here's the page link:

The program costs listed in this article are significantly higher than those published earlier. The navy is estimating $940 million each for later ships. This figure sounds more realistic to me, basically half the cost of an AB.

The number of ships being built by the PLAN is both impressive and alarming. We need to keep our naval strength high and designs like this can give us the numbers and capability we need.
Every country costs their Defence acquisitions differently, so even if they were absolute like for like the price would be determined differently by each country, just depends on their accounting. It is a very difficult thing to get into and understand and takes a lot of research to try and get the info from each country

Cheers

seaspear

Would the U.S be looking for export for this ship it appears more capable than the type 31e considered by some for New Zealand,s navy

Redlands18

Would the U.S be looking for export for this ship it appears more capable than the type 31e considered by some for New Zealand,s navy
NZ could be interested, being built by a 5eyes partner certainly wouldn’t hurt and the similarities to the RAN Type 26 would certainly help to but that will depend very much on what New Zealand‘s requirements will be. Type 31e is pure supposition on members part and there is no interest being shown by the NZG but according to BAE, there has been some dialogue on the Type 26.

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Not all that common with the Hunter class; Nixie, Nulka and Mk 41 is about it. Could still be a good choice for the RNZN in the future although they might be a bit pricey for NZ. Joining what is almost now the “Commonwealth Frigate Program” Gordon’s T26 variant would also make sense; but the Kiwis are only part way through the upgrade of their ANZACs and their replacement is still many years away, so all is currently speculation.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Not all that common with the Hunter class; Nixie, Nulka and Mk 41 is about it. Could still be a good choice for the RNZN in the future although they might be a bit pricey for NZ. Joining what is almost now the “Commonwealth Frigate Program” Gordon’s T26 variant would also make sense; but the Kiwis are only part way through the upgrade of their ANZACs and their replacement is still many years away, so all is currently speculation.
There is also the question of what the contract says about the US exporting a warship that is based off an Italian FREMM. The US could very well be prohibited from exporting in, to prevent competition between the US and Italy for export orders. Or it could be that Italy needs to authorize exports in a manner similar to what happens when other countries want to export kit that is either sourced from the US or contains US IP.

It also might be a complete non-issue as the US shipyard might be busy enough with orders for the USN to not attempt to compete in the international warship production industry.

JohnJT

Not all that common with the Hunter class; Nixie, Nulka and Mk 41 is about it.
Don't forget Aegis and co-operative engagement capability. Those are two hugely important capabilities for both ships and should ensure that the Hunter class and FFG(X) are able to operate well together.

Last edited:

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
NZ could be interested, being built by a 5eyes partner certainly wouldn’t hurt and the similarities to the RAN Type 26 would certainly help to but that will depend very much on what New Zealand‘s requirements will be. Type 31e is pure supposition on members part and there is no interest being shown by the NZG but according to BAE, there has been some dialogue on the Type 26.
The US FFX is to be based on the Italian FREMM, not the type 26. I can't see a ot of similarities to the RAN's Hunter class

oldsig

Redlands18

The US FFX is to be based on the Italian FREMM, not the type 26. I can't see a ot of similarities to the RAN's Hunter class

oldsig
MK 41 with SM-2, ESSM, CEC, Aegis, Nulka and both are being built by 5 eyes partners are the important similarities i was talking about, the ability to work closely together is probably more important then having the same Hull and Machinery. The 2 ANZACs are due to be replaced in the mid 30s, this project has been covered extensively in the RNZN thread.
The USN FFGX is designed around being able to work closely with other USN units and Allies. In some very important ways the FFGX will actually be more similar to the Hunters then the RN City class will be.
Now as to whether the US is allowed to export the FFGX we don’t know at this stage or if the US Shipyards will have the capacity to build them.

Albedo

Firefighters battled a three-alarm fire on the ship Sunday morning, SDFD's Mónica Muñoz said. Several different agencies worked to fight the blaze.
The ship could burn for days, "down to the water line," San Diego Fire Chief Colin Stowell told CNN's Erica Hill Sunday afternoon.
There was an explosion just as personnel were leaving the ship, Stowell said.
No personnel from any agency is left on the ship, he said.
"The navy is the only one that will work from the pier side, as well as the harbor PD on the fire boats, working from the water side to contain the heat of it," according to Stowell.
It looks like they've abandoned efforts to fight the fire from inside the ship which can't be good. At least the upcoming July 15, 2020 commissioning of the USS Tripoli is timely to mitigate the impact on fleet numbers. Once the fire is finally put out I guess they'll have to decide whether it's more economical to repair the USS Bonhomme Richard or life-extend the USS Wasp.

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Nasty. The photo looks like it started around midships; hangar, plant, who knows. Constructive total loss certainly looks like a possibility.

Redlands18

It looks like they've abandoned efforts to fight the fire from inside the ship which can't be good. At least the upcoming July 15, 2020 commissioning of the USS Tripoli is timely to mitigate the impact on fleet numbers. Once the fire is finally put out I guess they'll have to decide whether it's more economical to repair the USS Bonhomme Richard or life-extend the USS Wasp.
This has not been a good last few years for the USN, with several Burkes suffering serious collisions and now this.

t68

Seems like Forbes are already laying the boot in USS Bonhomme Richard fire. They are blaming lax fire safety practices pointing fingers before any investigation.

But from the article it seems the fire was fairly intense as they say buckling of structural steel no idea and melting tyres on the flight deck it seems to me it’s in the hanger, water tight doors are open as the ship is settling down in the bow from fire hoses if this is correct or not