Ukranian Crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.

swerve

Super Moderator
I believe we are talking about different things, I'm afraid. I am saying I think that is where the claims or perception of protestors starting the shooting came from, in addition to the point you made about the tapped call. I don't know if it is correct, and I don't make any such claims. I am simply pointing out where I think the claims and perception also came from, rather than asserting that they are or are not correct.

I am saying that the clips and their broadcast are part of the claimed evidence and a basis for the perception. I am not verifying or disputing the accuracy of the footage or claims. Frankly I don't think we will ever know definitively who started shooting in any organised fashion or who planned it, or if it was planned in an organisational way.
My apologies. I misunderstood you.

I agree, it's likely we'll never know exactly what happened. No doubt some of the participants will tell their stories eventually, but then there'll be the problem of disentangling truth & lies.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm amazed at the horrid condition of the Ukrainian armed forces, it's worse than 1990s Russia. Do the units literally never leave the barracks, the gear never maintained, with no spare parts? As well, a running joke about Ukrainian units on the move has been the availability of fuel..

I'm curious about the Crimean units, are they going to equipped with Russian gear from storage? I assume Russian units will provide security for the Crimea while they re-equip and retrain the Crimeans to Russian army standards.
Of course it's worse then 90s Russia, it's had more time to decay. Even the current activity is in many ways made possible by private contributions and extreme budgetary measures. As well as a certain willingness of the leadership to disregard the losses being taken (both human and material). Also note how long its taking to do anything. If the Russian military had moved fast in Eastern Ukraine, there's a good chance the Ukrainian military would be able to put up no more resistance then they did in Crimea. Of course the more time goes by, the lower the chances of putting Ukrainian military forces out of commission without bloodshed. This is not to say that Ukraine will be able to put up some sort of effective defense, but they will certainly create a situation where blood will be spilled.

I strongly suspect that Svoboda and Right Sector would love nothing more then a brief but bloody war, making sure that Ukraine was separated from Russia for good with mutual violence.

Of course it's worse then 90s Russia, it's had more time to decay. Even the current activity is in many ways made possible by private contributions and extreme budgetary measures. As well as a certain willingness of the leadership to disregard the losses being taken (both human and material). Also note how long its taking to do anything. If the Russian military had moved fast in Eastern Ukraine, there's a good chance the Ukrainian military would be able to put up no more resistance then they did in Crimea. Of course the more time goes by, the lower the chances of putting Ukrainian military forces out of commission without bloodshed. This is not to say that Ukraine will be able to put up some sort of effective defense, but they will certainly create a situation where blood will be spilled.

I strongly suspect that Svoboda and Right Sector would love nothing more then a brief but bloody war, making sure that Ukraine was separated from Russia for good with mutual violence.
Feanor , after today,s talks between Kerry And Lavrov do you think right now the possibility of a russian intervention is nearer than before the talks ? because as long as I see is practically imposible an agreement between USA And Rusia.

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feanor , after today,s talks between Kerry And Lavrov do you think right now the possibility of a russian intervention is nearer than before the talks ? because as long as I see is practically imposible an agreement between USA And Rusia.
I don't know what took place in the talks, so I don't have an answer for you.

Anyways, events continue to unfold. Protests in Odessa. Big ones from the looks of it. Ukrainian news reported several hundred pro-Russian activists. Several thousand is probably closer to the truth.

a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma -

Meanwhile the Ukrainian government abandons its service members in Crimea. The few that don't want to join Russia or remain in Crimea as civilians, are left on the street. The Russian government is giving one time payments of 2000 grivnas to Ukrainian service members who want to return to Ukraine, provided they register. However registration takes time, and there appear to be difficulties with transportation. Some of them are left homeless, with their belongings. Bank cards of Ukrainian banks registered in Crimea are blocked by the Kiev government, so they can't access their pay checks. Most of them are being fed by the Russian military, and locals often donate money to help them along. Russia is trying to get them returned to Ukraine, but earlier there were issues where the Ukrainian border guard service did not let them through. Personally I find this situation disgusting and appalling. I think it perfectly illustrates the nature of the Ukrainian government.

Блог ÐлекÑандра Шакуна - МО Украины гордитÑÑ Ñвоими офицерами в Крыму только на Ñловах.

Interviews with ex-Ukrainian service members. First one is the command of the 501st Marine Btln. He says he stood in defiance of Russia for a month, but he was abandoned. His only orders were to hold out. He says the parents of his marines stood protesting with Russian flags, because his marines are locals (80% of them). When he tried to report the situation to higher ups, with prepared info from his officers, higher ups refused to listen to his report, and said they already knew what to do. He said that he's happy that they could avoid blood shed, in the complex situation and that resistance was futile because they were outnumbered and outgunned. He said it was wrong to have Russian and Ukrainian troops face off with weapons. He said he knew his Russian counter-parts personally, and was confident that nobody would shoot each other. He said that 250 people are staying and serving in the Russian military, out of his battalion. He will retain command over the battalion, in the Russian military. He said 36 people have left so far, to go to Ukraine. But some people are changing their minds and staying, despite their initial decision to leave.

The second video is a series of interviews with Ukrainian service members, after their unit switched sides. It's long so I won't type it all up. If you speak Russian watch it, if you don't, sorry. The general gist of it is that the majority are staying to serve in the Russian military, many of them Russians themselves. They don't feel that Ukraine would accept them if they went there, and they themselves would rather stay here because they're Russians and Crimeans. Generally they seem to think that things will be better under Russia, one stating that "it's not like it could get any worse". They also show the raising of the new flag, and playing the Russian national anthem.

http://u-96.livejournal.com/3296798.html

Some photos of Russian air defense positions near the Gvardeyskoe airfield in Crimea. You can see what should be S-300PM and Pantsyr-S1.

http://u-96.livejournal.com/3296623.html

wittmanace

"Meanwhile the Ukrainian government abandons its service members in Crimea. The few that don't want to join Russia or remain in Crimea as civilians, are left on the street. The Russian government is giving one time payments of 2000 grivnas to Ukrainian service members who want to return to Ukraine, provided they register. However registration takes time, and there appear to be difficulties with transportation. Some of them are left homeless, with their belongings. Bank cards of Ukrainian banks registered in Crimea are blocked by the Kiev government, so they can't access their pay checks. Most of them are being fed by the Russian military, and locals often donate money to help them along. Russia is trying to get them returned to Ukraine, but earlier there were issues where the Ukrainian border guard service did not let them through. Personally I find this situation disgusting and appalling. I think it perfectly illustrates the nature of the Ukrainian government.

Read more: http://www.defencetalk.com/forums/geo-strategic-issues/ukranian-crisis-12973-23/#ixzz2xWP3ZwuF"

I don't understand why they have done this. I have found Kiev's treatment of Ukrainian troops to be atrocious, if reports are correct. What is the motivation for this? It seems to me, that it is treatment that would pretty much push any soldiers to join the Russians, as well as creating division between the government in Kiev and the army. I realise Kiev has a lot to deal with, but you would have thought Crimea, it's troops etc would feature near or at the very top of the list. Is there any rationale for this? Or is it pre existing tensions and issues between the army and Kiev?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't understand why they have done this. I have found Kiev's treatment of Ukrainian troops to be atrocious, if reports are correct. What is the motivation for this? It seems to me, that it is treatment that would pretty much push any soldiers to join the Russians, as well as creating division between the government in Kiev and the army. I realise Kiev has a lot to deal with, but you would have thought Crimea, it's troops etc would feature near or at the very top of the list. Is there any rationale for this? Or is it pre existing tensions and issues between the army and Kiev?
Nobody cares would be a good way to sum it up. They're in the middle of an internal power struggle,from the looks of it, and are desperate to keep Right Sector down in Kiev. The fate of a few thousand (probably less now) service members who don't have their weapons or equipment, stranded in Crimea, is not high on the priority list. To be honest it makes all too much sense. It's a combination of inefficiency, bureaucratic incompetence (the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing), and a fundamental lack of concern over something that is a very minor issue to those in Kiev. Plus as long as they're in Crimea they're Russia's problem. Once they get to Ukraine, the MoD has to feed them, house them, etc. And most of them are Navy personnel.

The post-independence Ukrainian government has never been overly concerned with the well being of its citizens. The new government in Kiev however is a new low. From their taking of IMF loans (which will promptly be embezzled) on nasty conditions, to their idiotic anti-Russian stance (why would you want to piss off your biggest trading partner, and the country that GAVE YOU 15 BILLION in loans with very few strings....), to their idiotic internal policies (lets take away money from social spending and give it to the military and the MVD)...

:(

To be honest, dealing with the facts, this situation is probably a minority of cases. Some of the Ukrainian service members have already made it to Ukraine successfully. I think I posted the video here of the few marines who wanted to continue service in Ukraine, arriving in iirc Kiev. And I doubt that all those who weren't able to get across are stuck homeless. Undoubtedly many have friends, whom they can stay with. However the very fact that ANY of them are reduced to this state is depressing. What's really surprising is that the Russian government is handing out money to Ukrainian service members who want to continue serving in Ukraine. Even if it's just travel expenses.

I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that some border crossing points the Ukrainian border guards were turning away service members, and at others letting them through.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
An update to the abandoned military personnel.

A Russian blogger who re-posted the news was immediately bombarded by offers from his readership to donate money for these service members. After doing some investigating, he managed to find that the info was most likely out dated. As of right now Ukrainian military personnel that wishes to return to Ukraine is being shuttled to Perekop by the Russian military where it appears they can now cross the border. They are still receiving hand outs from Russia in the form of 2000 or 4000 grivnas, as travel money. It is somewhat impressive how quickly people volunteered to donate.

u_96:

Klaus

Unfortunately I couldn't find more details on which military equipment seized by Russian forces in Crimea will be returned. At Belbek they captured about 35 MiG-29, it would be interesting to know whether these will also be handed over.

It would also be interesting to know whether only Ukraine's military is in such a state of decay or whether this is also true for other former SSSR-republics. Belarus didn't modernize its forces in a significant way, too, not to speak of Moldova or Armenia.

German newspaper FAZ today writes that Russia seems to be changing its tactics in dealing with Ukraine, as secession of other regions in the east of the country is getting more unlikely without bloodshed. According to them, the Kremlin will likely try to inflict further damage on Ukraine's economy to weaken the new government, and will also try to undermine the legitimacy of the upcoming presidential elections.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unfortunately I couldn't find more details on which military equipment seized by Russian forces in Crimea will be returned. At Belbek they captured about 35 MiG-29, it would be interesting to know whether these will also be handed over.
45 MiG-29s and 4 L-39s. They also got a Coastal Defense Brigade, essentially a Motor-Rifles Brigade. So a tank btln, a bunch of BMP-1 and 2, 2S1 SP Arty. They also got a bunch of BTR-60s. Combat ones, not the support vehicles. That's all I know of, but there's probably more. They got a bunch of ancient support vehicles on ZiL, GAZ, and Kamaz chassis.

It would also be interesting to know whether only Ukraine's military is in such a state of decay or whether this is also true for other former SSSR-republics. Belarus didn't modernize its forces in a significant way, too, not to speak of Moldova or Armenia.
The situation in Belarus is better. They lack new equipment, but they train more actively. They also have made attempts to modernize. For example I know they've used UAVs for artillery fire control. I don't know if that's standard or an experiment, but there was a photoset of Belarussian Uragan Arty using a UAV. They have gotten S-300 units donated from Russia, and have bought Tor-M2 on MZKT wheeled chassis. Though they're still not in great shape. I read, on some Belorussian blog, an account of a Belorussian reservist who got called up for training, on a joint exercise with Russia. He said he was embarrassed, when he compared their equipment, and training, with the Russian military.

In Kazakhstan it's also better then in Ukraine, by quite a bit. They have considerable oil money, and they have spent a lot of it on the armed forces.

In the rest of Central Asia it's pretty bad. The region is unstable and in several countries the militaries have seen combat recently, so they're more willing to fight then the Ukrainians, but as far as equipment or training, they're pretty badly off.

The Georgian military needs no comments. Azerbaijan and Armenia have both made considerable efforts to modernize. Azerbaijan has spent a lot more money, and has a lot more modern equipment including Mi-35Ms, S-300PMU2s, T-90S tanks, new SP Arty (the Vena iirc) etc. Armenia has less shiny new gear, but also trains fairly intensively. Iirc they receive some Russian military aid.

German newspaper FAZ today writes that Russia seems to be changing its tactics in dealing with Ukraine, as secession of other regions in the east of the country is getting more unlikely without bloodshed. According to them, the Kremlin will likely try to inflict further damage on Ukraine's economy to weaken the new government, and will also try to undermine the legitimacy of the upcoming presidential elections.
This is not a change of tactics. The economic aspect was always there. The new damage right now is being caused by the policies in Kiev. For example Ukroboronprom recently announced (Ð”ÐµÐ½Ð¸Ñ ÐœÐ¾ÐºÑ€ÑƒÑˆÐ¸Ð½ - "Укроборонпром" замораживает ÑотрудничеÑтво Ñ Ð Ð¾ÑÑией) that they will no longer do business in Russia. If they carry this out, healthy enterprises like Motor Sich and Zarya Machinebuilding will take huge hits. That having been said, make no mistake. The Putin government is definitely pushing on Ukraine economically. It's just not something that has changed recently. They've been for a while. And they will certainly take advantage of the economic damage and internal instability, to promote their agenda. I'm just not sure if they will push for a pro-Russian government in Kiev, or a break-off of more regions.

If the Kiev government wanted to fix this mess they should back off on the threats and posturing, given that out of all the parties in question they have the most to lose, and the least to present with.

Klaus

The struggle about the gas price for Ukraine has indeed never really calmed down over the last few years, but I can't recall any situation when Russia put such economic pressure on Ukraine as it does now. It remains to be seen whether an intervention in the eastern part of the country is really off the table or not.

As it appears the pro-Russian demonstrations in Charkov, Donetsk and so on were not comparable in size to what happened in Crimea. And the authorities in Kiev will probably not wait until something like this happens again. So a breakaway of further regions seems not that likely for the moment.

What I can't understand is why the government in Kiev is talking about joining the EU or even NATO all the time. As if somebody there would really want them. As for Germany, where I live, the majority of the population is against further expansion of the EU and also doesn't want more conflicts with Russia. The only thing Turchinov and Yatsenyuk reach is further escalation.

Good to see that at least Belarus is retaining some military capabilities. But for Kazakhstan I would expect more new acquisitions. They should have enough money to buy new equipment, but the only larger contracts about which I heard were for transports and some upgrade programs. Don't they need new combat aircraft and tanks, too?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Updates, it looks like Russia will return some or all of the Ukrainian Navy ships.

u_96:
Ð”ÐµÐ½Ð¸Ñ ÐœÐ¾ÐºÑ€ÑƒÑˆÐ¸Ð½ - Судьба флота

Meanwhile the US has donated several hundred thousand MREs to Ukraine. Not one week later, they're for sale over the internet.

Íîâîñòè NEWSru.com :: Óêðàèíöû íàøëè âûõîä èç êðèçèñà: ïîëó÷åííûå îò ÑØÀ ñóõïàéêè ðàñïðîäàþò ÷åðåç èíòåðíåò
О новоÑÑ‚ÑÑ… и о жизни - Второй фронт открыт!

Ukrainian Rada passed a law requiring the SBU and MVD to disarm Right Sector.

Íîâîñòè NEWSru.com :: Ïàðëàìåíò Óêðàèíû ïðèíÿë ïîñòàíîâëåíèå î íåìåäëåííîì ðàçîðóæåíèè áîéöîâ "Ïðàâîãî ñåêòîðà". Îïåðàöèþ äîëæíû ïðîâåñòè ÌÂÄ è ÑÁÓ

And another encounter in Kiev between Right Sector and the Euro-Maydan self-defense forces backed up by the police. The result was the arrest of a Right Sector activist who was responsible for a shooting in central Kiev, that wounded the vice-mayor.

The Tatar Medzhlis in Crimea has declared it will cooperate with Russian authorities in Crimea, and has delegated two representatives to the Crimean government.

Also GazProm has decided to retain gas discounts for Ukraine, keeping the price at 385 dollars, instead of raising it to 490. This might be a moot point, given that they're in debt and aren't paying it.

http://www.vz.ru/economy/2014/4/1/679936.html

Meanwhile there is some concern that Crimean students in a Ukrainian air force academy are being held against their own will there. The institution stated that they are being given a choice whether to continue or go back to Crimea.

http://www.vz.ru/politics/2014/4/1/680024.html

Also mobilized personnel in one of the Ukrainian Army units that were called up for service for "10 days" but are now being retained indefinitely, helped a film crew from a Ukrainian TV show get into their field camp. 640 people are living in 10 tents. They have not been issued uniforms. As soon as they got to the military commissariat, they were rushed through medical, and loaded into buses. They were lied to about the duration, and none were allowed to get their personal belongings. If they leave, they're threatened with 3-8 years of jail time. A lot of them have lost their jobs because they've been mobilized. The tents have holes, and it gets quite cold at night. The bedding and sheets are disgusting. The showers are outdoors. There is no clean water. They get water out of the ground, that's basically river water. The medical commission basically did not even inspect them. In 10 days they have gone to a rifle range once, shooting off 15 rounds each. The rest of the time they have done absolutely nothing.

http://twower.livejournal.com/1256899.html

nkvd

It looks lie the Tatars after an understandably emotional reaction to the takeover have finally put their thinking cap on and will try to get as much concessions as they can get from the Kremlin.
Feanor a question perhaps a stupid one at that .Russia has put T-72Bs in Crimea but why not the T-90s?Not enough T90s?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feanor a question perhaps a stupid one at that .Russia has put T-72Bs in Crimea but why not the T-90s?Not enough T90s?
Russian commentators were asking the same question. Why not upgraded T-72s? There's plenty of T-72B3s, as well as T-90As. So far the Crimean operation has been a showcase of shiny new gear. This seems to be the exception.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
The shiny new gear is probably needed for the higher profile units and not for some local garrison units which include the Ukrainian troops which switched sides.

Or they just want to train for the next tank biathlon...

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Updates.

Ukraine has limited certain consumer goods, primarily food, from Russia.

Íîâîñòè NEWSru.com :: Íà Óêðàèíå çàïðåòèëè êîíôåòû "Ìèøêà êîñîëàïûé", ðîññèéñêèå ðûáíûå êîíñåðâû è ïëàâëåíûé ñûð

Also the Ukrainian government has imposed heavier taxes on a number of things, including foreign packages shipped to Ukraine, alcohol, cigarettes, medicine, and real estate (including apartments). Gas prices for ordinary citizens have gone up by almost 100%, despite earlier reports that it would be a lot less. This is the first stage of the "reforms".

ЛОГОВО ÐЕТОЛЕРÐÐТÐОГО СРЕДÐЕВЕКОВОГО МРÐКОБЕСР- Почем Ñвобода от...? Вторым вопроÑом "от чего", пока только "почем"

There's certain evidence that the shooters at the Maydan were using buckshot, that's not in use by the police. This would indicate a non-state actor.

Right Sector personnel leaving the Dnestr hotel in Kiev. Note the "musical instruments".

ЧаÑтный руÑÑкий журнал - Музыканты Правого Сектора

Photos from the 169th Training Center, Desna. It's a demonstration, as you can see. The upgraded BRDM-2, the BTR-3 and BTR-4, as well as the T-84M are not in use by regular Ukrainian units. Some T-64BM Bulat are in service.

u_96: Desna training center...
u_96:

Ukrainian military vehicles and aircraft have gotten two fat white stripes, as "fast identification stripes" to distinguish them from their Russian counterparts. The photos are from Desna.

bmpd -

Meanwhile it appears that Russian troops haven't left the border region, merely rotated units.

u_96:

And it looks like Zarya MachineBuilding may lose Russia as a customer. NPO Saturn is accelerating their program for producing gas-turbine plants for ships. They intend to deliver the first one to the Russian Navy in "about 3 years". On the one hand this isn't news, they were always planning to do this, on the other hand if the VMF has to wait for 3 years, the shipbuilding program will be set back by at least 5. Realistically I think this is an attempt to exert pressure on Ukraine to stick to the delivery of currently contracted goods.

bmpd -

Foreman

Ukrainian export

Hi ev1! I've got some specific question. When this long-running strike in Ukraine is over?
I'm a manager in a shop floor at Hankook Tire's factory not far from Budapest. And our manufacturing activity much depends on carbon black supplies by Kremenchug carbon black plant. Still because of that cursed everlasting Maidan strike there haven't been fresh deliveries as long as four months. Seems that no one works in Ukraine at all. And now when carbon black stock started exhausting our direction has been seeking for new suppliers and ways for maintaining high quality of our production with materials of other manufactures. Meanwhile my workfolk have been remaining without work and without any fair wages as well.
So I just want to know when this political outrage in Ukraine is over and those local pps would return to work?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi ev1! I've got some specific question. When this long-running strike in Ukraine is over?
I'm a manager in a shop floor at Hankook Tire's factory not far from Budapest. And our manufacturing activity much depends on carbon black supplies by Kremenchug carbon black plant. Still because of that cursed everlasting Maidan strike there haven't been fresh deliveries as long as four months. Seems that no one works in Ukraine at all. And now when carbon black stock started exhausting our direction has been seeking for new suppliers and ways for maintaining high quality of our production with materials of other manufactures. Meanwhile my workfolk have been remaining without work and without any fair wages as well.
So I just want to know when this political outrage in Ukraine is over and those local pps would return to work?
Best case scenario, maybe another month or so. Worst case, not at all. Honestly I'm not sure at this point.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Updates.

There will be 8 exercises involving NATO countries, in Ukraine this year. This is part of an attempt to demonstrate both support for Ukraine by NATO, that Ukraine is well supported internationally.

Íîâîñòè NEWSru.com :: Íà Óêðàèíå â ýòîì ãîäó ïðîéäóò âîñåìü âîåííûõ ó÷åíèé ñ ó÷àñòèåì ñòðàí ÍÀÒÎ

The acting president of Ukraine also mentioned that Ukraine may become a NATO member, and claimed that more and more Ukrainians feel that way.

Íîâîñòè NEWSru.com :: Òóð÷èíîâ ðàññêàçàë î ñòðàøíîì ñíå Ïóòèíà è æåëàíèè óêðàèíöåâ âñòóïèòü â ÍÀÒÎ

Meanwhile Russia is planning to conduct all export transactions in roubles. Whether this is a real intention, or merely bluster, is unclear.

Íîâîñòè NEWSru.com :: Âëàñòè ÐÔ ïðèäóìàëè îòâåòíûå ñàíêöèè äëÿ Åâðîïû: çàñòàâÿò åå ïåðåéòè íà ðóáëè, ïîïóòíî "íàöèîíàëèçèðîâàâ" âåñü ðîññèéñêèé ýêñïîðò

Meanwhile the IMF states that sanctions against Russia are having an effect, and admitted that Russian economic aid earlier saved Ukraine.

Íîâîñòè NEWSru.com :: Ãëàâà ÌÂÔ ïîäñ÷èòàëà ïîòåðè ðîññèéñêîé ýêîíîìèêè îò ñàíêöèé Çàïàäà è ïðèçíàëà, ÷òî ïîìîùü Ðîññèè ñïàñëà Óêðàèíó îò êàòàñòðîôû

It looks like Ukraine will have to pay full price for natural gas after all.

Íîâîñòè NEWSru.com :: Ïðåìüåð-ìèíèñòð ßöåíþê íàçâàë îòìåíó ñêèäêè íà ãàç äëÿ Óêðàèíû ïîëèòè÷åñêèì ðåøåíèåì Ðîññèè

Arrest have begun, of Berkut members who allegedly participated in shootings of the protesters, by the Ukrainian government.

Íîâîñòè NEWSru.com :: Íà Óêðàèíå çàäåðæàíû áîéöû "Áåðêóòà", ñòðåëÿâøèå ïî ïðèêàçó ßíóêîâè÷à â ìàéäàíîâöåâ èç óñòàðåâøèõ 70 ëåò íàçàä êàðàáèíîâ

In Donetsk a pro-Russian protester has been sentenced to two years in prison, for raising the Russian flag over the administration building.

Ukrainian authorities have blocked travel for Russian citizens from Crimea into Ukraine.

Íîâîñòè NEWSru.com :: Ðîññèÿíàì ïåðåêðûëè ïóòü íà Óêðàèíó ÷åðåç Êðûì

The National Guard will be getting 100 APCs. A hodge podge of BTR-4s, BTR-3s, BTR-80s, and a single BTR-70. However BTR-4s will be the majority, despite the quality issues.

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/797098.html

Another set of exercise photos, this one from some airmobile unit, in Ukraine. This is more activity then the Ukrainian military has engaged in, in a long time.

u_96:

Sevastopol and Crimea have become part of the Russian Military District South.

Íîâîñòè NEWSru.com :: Êðûì è Ñåâàñòîïîëü ñòàëè ÷àñòüþ Þæíîãî âîåííîãî îêðóãà Ðîññèè

Meanwhile in Russia 25 Ukrainian citizens have been arrested in Russia, for allegedly attempting to carry out terrorist acts. I recall somebody here earlier wondering about Ukraine's ability to say derail a trainload of tanks, inside Russia, using agents. I guess this is the answer.

Íîâîñòè NEWSru.com :: Çàäåðæàíû 25 óêðàèíöåâ, ãîòîâèâøèõ òåðàêòû â ñåìè ðåãèîíàõ Ðîññèè

Status
Not open for further replies.