The Russian-Ukrainian War Thread

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Misc.

Old footage of Russian loitering munitions striking an S-300 TEL, Krab, 2S1, a towed gun, and a Strela-10 decoy.

Krab howitzer gets hit by something while moving and catches fire. We can see the crew bailing out. Based on the snow on the ground, I think this is old footage.

Ukrainian artillery position getting hit by a loitering munition. It catches fire, and it looks like ammo is cooking off.

Russian 123rd Bde, former LNR 2nd Bde, quadcopter munition drop on a Ukrainian fighting position causes a fire allegedly by striking a fuel storage container. You can see burning people trying to escape.

Allegedly a Ukrainian munition supply truck burns.

Russian loitering munition strike against a Ukrainian van parked next to a destroyed Strela-10. Note, striking trucks with loitering munitions isn't exactly good use of these scarce assets. Boris Rozhin thinks the van might be a UAV control vehicle.

Allegedly footage of a Russian FPV drone that lands at a Ukrainian position but doesn't detonate. Ukrainian service member takes the drone into a dugout and it explodes there. It's unclear if this is intentional or accidental.

Allegedly Ukrainian munition storage getting hit.

Allegedly a Ukrainian BMP getting hit by a Russian ATGM strike.

Ukrainian forces digging out soldiers after a Russian strike presumably against a Ukrainian staging area.

Ukraine's PRP-BMD hybrid is destroyed already. Note we've seen at least 3 such vehicles.

Some footage of Russian forces mounting a roof cage on a 2S1 and showing off their S-60 guntruck.

Russian Buk-M3 in Ukraine. Note the shortage of missiles. These are relatively modern and capable systems but remain highly scarce. I don't recall seeing new deliveries take place since the war started.

Russia claims to have shot down a Ukrainian Grom-2 missile.

Russian mobilized personnel in Ukraine, footage of positions. This is likely somewhere along the Dnepr where the front line is highly static.

Russian FPV drone with a MON-50 landmine as a payload (Claymore equivalent).

Russia has begun using plastic munition containers as opposed to the usual wooden ones. Note, this change is long overdue.

Russian supply truck with a ZU-23-2 with an improvised turret (but a rather well designed one). Apparently it's used to ferry food to the front line.

Ukrainian service member mounting a Fagot ATGM on a Humvee.

A Ukrainian technical with a triple Maxim gun setup.

Ukrainian territorial defense training on KS-19 AAA. Note they claim they captured these from Russian forces in Kharkov region. I'm of the opinion that these were Ukrainian guns all along in the Balakleya arsenal. We have seen no signs of their use by Russian forces.

A look at an improvised FPV drone, Ukrainian. Note the cheaper these munitions can be made, the more they can be used.

Ukrainian forces operating the M58 MICLIC mineclearing system. It's being towed by a MaxxPro MRAP.

NATO/EU.

Ukraine has received Bandwagen 206 transporters. We can see at least two.

Ukrainian forces receiving Strykers and Cougar 4X4s.

Light Weight Mine Rollers for Strykers heading to Ukraine. All in all Ukraine is set to receive 20 of these.

Reportedly Ukraine will receive 100 Polish Rosomak APCs.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are reports that Russia's 4th Motorized Rifle Brigade has lost two Colonels on the southern flanks of Bakhmut. It is unclear exactly what is happening here. Ukraine is losing ground inside the city while gaining ground on the flanks. In any case they have continued fixing Russian forces attention on this area while opening up the envelopment, allowing a withdrawal from the city if they wish. For awhile it looked like leaving the city would result in heavy losses.

This is what I have from Russian sources on the Ukrainian advances.

Note Rybar has mostly the same but doesn't illustrate the Russian retreat quite so well. This comes as Wagner forces are still advancing inside Artemovsk/Bakhmut. Ukrainian forces appear to be primarily holding 3 blocks of large buildings; Nest, Constructor, and Domino.

And it appears Russian forces used the fact that all attention is elsewhere to grab the village of Masyutovka near Kupyansk, and force a crossing across the Oskol, grabbing a foothold on the other side. They're allegedly up against Ukraine's 24th Territorial Defense Bde.

EDIT: Typo, 14th TerDefBde.

Last edited:

Vivendi

Substantial military support has been announced this week.

Germany has presented a new €2.7 billion package including 18 wheeled howitzers, artillery ammunition, guided missiles for air defence systems, 4 IRIS-T SLM anti-aircraft missile launchers for air defence, 12 IRIS-T SLS launchers, more battle and infantry fighting vehicles (30 Leopard 1 A5 and 20 Marder), over 100 armoured combat vehicles and over 200 reconnaissance drones. Germany also pledged to provide long term €11Billion in military support (no time frames given).
bne IntelliNews - Ukraine secures €2.7bn military package from Germany on Zelenskiy's European tour
Germany to give Ukraine EUR 11B purely in defense aid - Zelensky (ukrinform.net)

France pledged additional military aid for Ukraine on Sunday, including light tanks, armored vehicles, training for soldiers and other assistance. Macron’s office said France will supply dozens of light tanks and armored vehicles “in the weeks ahead,” without giving specific numbers. Also promised were more air defense systems, but details weren’t made public. France aims to train about 2,000 Ukrainian soldiers in France this year and nearly 4,000 others in Poland.
France pledges more military aid as Ukraine's Zelenskyy makes surprise Paris visit to meet Macron | AP News

The UK will provide hundreds of air defense missiles and further unmanned aerial systems including hundreds of new long-range attack drones with a range of over 200km. The UK will also start training Ukrainian pilots on Western fighter jets this summer, a program designed to prepare the Ukrainian pilots ultimately fly the F-16.
PM welcomes President Zelenskyy to the UK ahead of anticipated Ukrainian military surge - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Italian PM promised full support for Ukranian EU membership process, and also pledged to continue military support, but without providing any details. Italy fully supports the Ukranian 10-point plan (which says that Russia must withdraw completely from Ukraine, including from Crimea and Eastern Ukraine).
Italian PM promises full support for Ukraine's EU integration, believes in Ukraine's victory - Euromaidan Press

It's great to see Germany finally stepping up, and also fantastic that the UK keeps providing a high level of support. Hopefully this will increase the pressure on France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Greece, Turkey to also step up.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Moved general discussion surrounding relations between Russia and the west to the appropriate thread.

vikingatespam

Is there a good site that rolls up info on whether or not the Khinzal was shot down near Kiev ? I have been trying to summarize some of the pros and cons.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is there a good site that rolls up info on whether or not the Khinzal was shot down near Kiev ? I have been trying to summarize some of the pros and cons.
It was a Kinzhal shot down near Kiev. I posted images above that show the combat section with clear damage from a kinetic intercept.

This is alreayd being shared everywhere-

Ukr defense battery fires over 30 missiles in 2 minutes. One missile at the end gets through. No confirmation if the battery was actually hit.
If the very first arrival of the Patriot ends in the units getting wiped off the map nearly instantly, that might have foreign advisers reconsider the advisability of deploying such expensive systems to so little effect. Which makes for a great motivator for Russia to hit them as hard as possible. Assuming they can find them.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
If the very first arrival of the Patriot ends in the units getting wiped off the map nearly instantly, that might have foreign advisers reconsider the advisability of deploying such expensive systems to so little effect. Which makes for a great motivator for Russia to hit them as hard as possible. Assuming they can find them.
The Patriot is quite an old system and there are newer systems out there. Remember that the US has neglected its GBAD for 20 years, which is a long time. Just ow much Patriot has been upgraded I can't remember, but I wonder it's been upgraded enough to counter modern smart systems. Yes it shot a Khinzal down, but that's only one so definitely not something that we can draw any useful inference from.

T.C.P

4 aircraft all shot down around the same time? Shortly after Ukraine received an assortment of mid-range and long-range western SAMs? I suppose it's possible. I suspect a Ukrainian op is more likely.

here is the report by the cit team. they believe that it was an S-300 ambush, with Ukr having a lot more redundant launchers than missiles left, it is worth risking some launchers.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Patriot is quite an old system and there are newer systems out there. Remember that the US has neglected its GBAD for 20 years, which is a long time. Just ow much Patriot has been upgraded I can't remember, but I wonder it's been upgraded enough to counter modern smart systems. Yes it shot a Khinzal down, but that's only one so definitely not something that we can draw any useful inference from.
The variant of the Patriot that would likely be able to down a hypersonic inbound is not quite an old system. Two possible conclusions, one being that the Patriot provided to Ukraine is a more modern variant. The other is that the Kinzhal isn't really hypersonic.

here is the report by the cit team. they believe that it was an S-300 ambush, with Ukr having a lot more redundant launchers than missiles left, it is worth risking some launchers.
Makes sense to me. The S-300 is old but capable. Especially if the enemy isn't expecting it.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update. Apr. 2nd-4th

Kherson-Nikolaev-Odessa.

Russian Shahed strikes, Odessa. Reportedly Shkolniy airfield was the target.

Zaporozhye-Dnepropetrovsk.

Melitopol', allegedly a Ukrainian HIMARS strike hit the local rail depot. 6 civilians reported wounded, with some missile fragments falling on the town.

Russian forces using FPV drones to drop leaflets on Ukrainian positions.

The North.

Kiev air defense, anti-Shahed unit. A bunch of AAA, namely .50 cals and DShKs.

Russian head of the Akimovka village administration, Zaporozhye region, had his car blown up in Melitopol'. He himself was wounded.

Oskol Front.

Helmet cam footage from the Svatovo axis of Russian forces assaulting a Ukrainian position. Warning footage of corpses.

Russian VDV engaging targets with a BMD-2 and I think a T-90M MBT, Kremennaya woods.

Russian TOS-1 fires near Kremennaya.

LDNR Front.

Russian loitering munition strike hitting a Ukrainian howitzer, Artemovsk/Bakhmut. We can see the gun firing before the strike.

Ukrainian M777 getting hit by a Russian loitering munition.

Ukrainian MaxxPro MRAP after allegedly taking an ATGM hit and surviving.

Wagner forces raise their flag over the ruins of the regional council building, Artemovsk/Bakhmut.

Ukrainian CASEVAC near Artemovsk/Bakhmut. Note the M113 transferring to an ambulance, and the Strela-10 in the background.

Wagner fighter in the Artemovsk/Bakhmut regional council building.

Russian airstrikes, Avdeevka. It seems to be a favored location.

Russian MT-12 fires, Avdeevka. Note these anti-tank guns have been used as ersatz howitzers on practically every axis.

Russian mortar strikes, outskirts of Avdeevka.

Russian 58th SpN, former DNR 3rd SpN, AGS-17 fires near Vodyanoe.

Ukrainian AT-105 knocked out near Krasnogorovka, Mar'inka area.

Russian airstrikes in Ugledar.

Ukrainian YPR-765 hit near Ugledar by an ATGM launch.

Ukrainian column hit near Ugledar. A GAZ-66 burns in the foreground, with surviving vehicles around, and other fires burning.

Ukrainian BMP-2 firing and then getting hit by an ATGM launch from the 58th SpN btln.

Battle damage from Russian strikes in Konstantinovka.

Russia.

Nikolaevo-Dar'ino village, Kursk region, got hit by a HIMARS strike. 7 civilians reported wounded.

Evpatoria, Crimea, a T-12 (predecessor to the MT-12). Possibly intended for coastal defenses.

Work on mounting the rail sections of the Crimean bridge continues.

Misc.

Ukrainian Krab and munition supply truck getting hit by a Russian loitering munition.

Ukrainian M777 getting hit by a loitering munition.

Ukrainian MBT getting hit by a Russian loitering munition. Note it hits the rear of the chassis and causes a fire.

Russian T-80BV getting hit by allegedly a Javelin. The tank behind it quickly backs up.

Russian TOS-1 fires, allegedly now operated by the VDV. I suspect this is the Kremennaya area.

Ukrainian air defenses firing on Shaheds. Possibly the same AAA element as we see above in Kiev.

Assorted destroyed Humvees, location and context unclear.

Ukroboronprom demonstrates munitions for dropping from UAVs.

Ukrainian forces using SB 300 loitering munitions.

More footage of Ukrainian forces training with KS-19s.

Ukrainian forces using Israeli 120mm mortar cluster munitions.

Ukrainian BTR-60 BMD-2 hybrid.

Russian forces with a BS-3. I think this is the first sighting in this war. However pre-war the DNR troops of interior had some in service.

Russia SpN using the Ironiya electro-optic, somewhere in Ukraine.

Russian Kord 6P67 assault rifle in Ukraine.

NATO/EU.

Challenger 2s first sighting in Ukraine, Zhitomyr region.

Ukrainian forces have apparently received the Mk14 Mod0 ASM thermobaric hand grenade.

Reportedly Poland has already handed over some MiG-29s to Ukraine.

Australian EOS Defence is supplying 100 RCWS modules to Ukraine, likely the R400S-MK2-D-HD.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is alreayd being shared everywhere-

Ukr defense battery fires over 30 missiles in 2 minutes. One missile at the end gets through. No confirmation if the battery was actually hit.
More links to the footage incase that one disappears. Note the have more angles here.

And fragments found on the ground afterwards.

KipPotapych

The variant of the Patriot that would likely be able to down a hypersonic inbound is not quite an old system. Two possible conclusions, one being that the Patriot provided to Ukraine is a more modern variant. The other is that the Kinzhal isn't really hypersonic.
I am surprised the latter in particular hasn’t been mentioned or I have missed it. It has been discussed since 2018.

It doesn’t make the intercept insignificant though.

Today, the headlines all over are informing us that “Ukraine shot down six hypersonic missiles launched by Russia”. But did they shoot down “all six” last night, on top of 12 other missiles reportedly shot down, along with unspecified number of drones? Well, that is a question we will not get immediate (or at all) answers to. This would also be the first time, I believe, when the Ukrainians claim 100% intercept rate. Which is pretty farfetched, imo. I didn’t even believe their 80-90% claims prior.

If the Russians are right and they did hit a Patriot unit, that’d be a pretty significant loss, both monetarily and symbolically, any way you spin it, really. I wonder how many of the interceptors on the videos published were coming from a Patriot. Any clues from the pros anywhere? It has got to be no more than a couple of weeks (at most) since they received the Patriots.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am surprised the latter in particular hasn’t been mentioned or I have missed it. It has been discussed since 2018.

It doesn’t make the intercept insignificant though.

Today, the headlines all over are informing us that “Ukraine shot down six hypersonic missiles launched by Russia”. But did they shoot down “all six” last night, on top of 12 other missiles reportedly shot down, along with unspecified number of drones? Well, that is a question we will not get immediate (or at all) answers to. This would also be the first time, I believe, when the Ukrainians claim 100% intercept rate. Which is pretty farfetched, imo. I didn’t even believe their 80-90% claims prior.

If the Russians are right and they did hit a Patriot unit, that’d be a pretty significant loss, both monetarily and symbolically, any way you spin it, really. I wonder how many of the interceptors on the videos published were coming from a Patriot. Any clues from the pros anywhere? It has got to be no more than a couple of weeks (at most) since they received the Patriots.
Patriots launch at an angle. S-300s launch straight upward and then arc towards the target. Not sure what other setup would be firing off 30 missiles like that. Buk TELARs carry 4. A battery is two TELAR and a TEL-loader. Presumably an entire Buk btln parked in one location could fire off 30 missiles (24 from the TELARs and some from the TEL-loaders that I believe can also be used to launch with external guidance) but this seems a rather far-fetched scenario.

KipPotapych

^ Thanks. Confirms my thoughts as well.

That’d be a over $120M launch in 2 minutes, damage to whatever Russians allegedly hit aside.

KipPotapych

Looks like CNN confirms that a Patriot was damaged, but doesn’t say to what extent:

A US-made Patriot air defense system was likely damaged, but not destroyed, as the result of a Russian missile barrage in and around Kyiv early Tuesday morning local time, a US official tells CNN.

The US is still assessing to what degree the system was damaged, the official said. That will determine whether the system needs to be pulled back entirely or simply repaired on the spot by Ukrainians forces.

relic88

Would think if damaged (or even maybe not) that they would pull it from there and not risk another barrage in the same position and depleted missiles.

vonnoobie

That’d be a over $120M launch in 2 minutes, damage to whatever Russians allegedly hit aside.
And your point of that is? They have a task to do, if you aren't going to do it because "too costly" then you have already lost.

Looks like CNN confirms that a Patriot was likely damaged, but doesn’t say to what extent: ]
Fixed for you, posting a link and then reinterpreting what they specifically say is not a good thing to do.

Would think if damaged (or even maybe not) that they would pull it from there and not risk another barrage in the same position and depleted missiles.
Just so Russia can have free reign to bomb Kyiv? :rolleyes: These systems generally have spare missiles, also you are making the assumption that Russia will be in a position to launch such an attack so soon. Russian missile attacks have generally shown a downward trend excluding the odd spikes.