The Russian-Ukrainian War Thread

T.C.P

4 aircraft all shot down around the same time? Shortly after Ukraine received an assortment of mid-range and long-range western SAMs? I suppose it's possible. I suspect a Ukrainian op is more likely.
Fair enough, but would Ukraine risk their western Sams so close to the border when their legacy sams are precariously low in missiles and Russia sending constant missile and drone barrrages to their cities. And that too with so many sams recently lost to the recent Lancet attacks. It could very well be a mix of both as well, a couple losses to a Ukr sams and a couple to Russia's own AA. But usually whenevr the Ukr have such a success they brag about it. By now I would have expected evry single Ukra channel (especially the overzealous non state controlled ones) to start heavily lauding their Ad's successes.

In other news, their wwas a big explosion in Ternopil, with a lot of misinformation surrounding it. A bunch of russian channels, tried to pass explosions in Syira and Iraq as the explosion in ternopil (which is sad, russian cyber patriots need to do better), but a few footages out seem to be more credible. rybar in particular is claiming it was an attack on a rail station.

Also in another tidbit, the original discord server for the much talked about leaks appears to be........you guessed it, a warthunder discord! Ha hA. Warthunder strikes again!

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fair enough, but would Ukraine risk their western Sams so close to the border when their legacy sams are precariously low in missiles and Russia sending constant missile and drone barrrages to their cities. And that too with so many sams recently lost to the recent Lancet attacks. It could very well be a mix of both as well, a couple losses to a Ukr sams and a couple to Russia's own AA. But usually whenevr the Ukr have such a success they brag about it. By now I would have expected evry single Ukra channel (especially the overzealous non state controlled ones) to start heavily lauding their Ad's successes.
Maybe. Or maybe they want Russia chasing their tail, hunting for Ukrainian infiltrators with MANPADS. Ukraine hasn't lost any IRIS-T, or Patriots, and forward deploying them to strike Russian jets from ambush when they're in the middle of their own strike operations would be bold but potentially quite impactful. How close would they really have to get considering Russian aircraft are completely not expecting this?

EDIT: Military observer claims the two downed helos were Mi-8 Rychag-AV variants, i.e. EW models supporting a gliding bomb strike by the Su-34, with the Su-35S offering protection against Ukrainian jets. If accurate, an attempt to counter this recent Russian tactic of such strikes makes sense. This of course doesn't answer the question of how it was done, but it makes friendly fire highly unlikely.

Last edited:
That's the point. This talk from some media or opinions in West that Putin Russia is only bluffing on nuclear is not taken account when Russia found themselves push in to the corner, they will use everything they got including nuclear.
Those in the West who think Russia is only bluffing about going nuclear (me included) point to the fact that Russia is not pushed into a corner by any rational means. They try to paint a picture that they are pushed into a corner in order for the bluff to be credible, but nobody believes they are actually insane and really believe their own propaganda.

You keep repeating the idea that Russia is the one who decides when it feels threatened and pushed into a corner, as if there is nothing objective about the situation and everything is just perception.

Most people in the West believe there are many objective facts about the situation, and Russians know them too, despite the propaganda claims they make to the opposite. They know they were not cornered, but they pretent to think they were, in order for their bluffs to be more credible. That’s why we consider them bluffs, not real threats.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update. Mar 28th-29th

Zaporozhye-Dnepropetrovsk.

A damaged (destroyed?) Ukrainian M777 in Zaporozhye region after a Russian strike.

Reportedly a HIMARS strike hitting the train depot in Melitopol'.

The North.

Ukraine downing a Shahed over Kiev.

Russian strikes landing in Kiev.

Oskol Front.

A boat allegedly being used by Ukrainian infiltrator team on the Severskiy Donets river, getting destroyed near Kremennaya.

Apparently a Ukrainian BMP-1 captured near Svatovo.

LDNR Front.

Russian Wagner forces artillery strike on a Ukrainian infantry element, Artemovsk/Bakhmut.

A destroyed Ukrainian T-64BV in Artemovsk/Bakhmut.

Aerial footage of the western outskirts of Artemovsk/Bakhmut. It gives a good impression of what terrain the fighting takes place on.

A Ukrainian column near Zaliznyanskoe village, on the road into Artemovsk/Bakhmut from Slavyansk getting hit. Multiple vehicles appear to be taken out.

Ukrainian Varta armored car damaged on the road into Artemovsk/Bakhmut.

Ukrainian 2S3 getting hit near Artemovsk/Bakhmut by a Russian loitering munition. It catches fires and appears to burn down.

The road into Artemovsk/Bakhmut, we can see a destroyed Kipri MRAP, Dingo armored car, burned out BTR-4 (likely the one we saw before in action and then destroyed), and a destroyed SUV.

Allegedly an overrun Ukrainian position on the Avdeevka axis, warning footage of corpses. 6 POWs were apparently captured.

Ukrainian M777 getting hit near Avdeevka. Note we can see the gun firing.

A suspected Ukrainian howitzer position near Avdeevka gets hit. A major forest fire starts, and there are explosions that might be ammo cooking off.

Allegedly a Ukrainian T-64 burns near Avdeevka. I think we've seen this footage before.

Russian airstrikes in Avdeevka.

Pervomayskoe, 9th Bde, former DNR 9th Rgt, MT-12s firing on Ukrainian positions.

Sparta btln quadcopter munition drops. Note the unit is active in the Pervomayskoe area.

Russian artillery fires in Mar'inka.

Russian T-90M ops in Mar'inka. Likely the 150th Motor-Rifles.

Donetsk was remote mined again, injuring two civilians, one whom is dead, and the other in critical condition. Reportedly German AT2 mines were involved.

DNR forces have captured a Ukrainian anti-UAV rifle the PIRANHA-5RADK.

Russia.

Allegedly a Ukrainian UAV was downed near Gvardeyskoe, Crimea. It was initially reported as ordinance disposal of WWII-era munitions.

Svitino village, Moscow region, a crashed Ukrainian UAV was found near a rail line. Likely a failed strike attempt.

The Russian mayor of Vorkuta has signed a contract and is going to serve in the war zone. Mostly Russian municipal officials are notoriously corrupt and out for themselves. But exceptions do exist.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Misc.

Russian Tor SAM getting hit by a Ukrainian loitering munition, apparently the 4th such strike in a month. This is likely the effect of the SB 600 drones arriving.

Ukrainian M109 getting hit by a Russian loitering munition. Location and context unclear.

Russian barrel-launched Invar-M ATGM from a T-90M striking allegedly a Ukrainian radar. The launch distance is apparently 5060ms. I can't tell what they hit but it goes up pretty noticeably.

Overrun Ukrainian positions. Location and context unclear. Warning footage of corpses.

Ukrainian forces operating the TRF1 somewhere in the Donbas.

Russian forces brought down a large Ukrainian rotary drone carrying mortar shells.

Ukrainian M113 and BTR-4 destroyed. location and context unclear. This might be Artemovsk/Bakhmut, that road bend with the destroyed BTR-4.

Ukrainian M1083 Oshkosh truck knocked out by Russian mortar fires.

There are reports of a Ukrainian Su-27 pilot KIA right after a recent mass Shahed strike. It's possible that this is a friendly fire incident. It's also possible Russian engaged the jets trying to shoot down the Shaheds.

Ukrainian forces have captured an intact Lancet loitering munition that failed to explode.

Russian Buk and S-300 TEL mockups through the lens of a Ukrainian UAV. Note the mockups are clearly quite primitive and thus discovered.

A breakdown of the Shahed drones Russia is sourcing from Iran reveals many western components. Iran has been under sanctions for many decades and has gotten good at sourcing sanctioned goods.

Ukraine using civilian trucks to transport rockets.

A rare Ukrainian Kevlar-E ersatz IFV spotted. It's a 2S1 chassis with a Shturm combat module.

Ukrainian forces show off an extremely rare captured GAZ Vodnik.

Ukraine has begun mounting K-1 tiles on their Leo-2A4s.

Russian BTR-82A in Ukraine uparmored with rails.

NATO/EU.

Challenger 2s arriving in Ukraine.

There are reports that France intends to purchase 40 Mirages from the UAE to transfer to Ukraine. This comes after reports that Ukrainian pilots were training on Mirages in France.

All 3 Portuguese Leo2A6s have reportedly arrived in Ukraine.

I believe this is the first sighting of the CRARRV, CR 1 based ARV, in Ukrainian service.

First sighting of the Crotale NG SAM in Ukraine. Given the recent losses in Strela and Osa SHORAD, these are much needed replacements.

I believe this is a first sighting of the Swedish RBS-56 BILL 2 in Ukrainian service.

Ukrainian service members training in Germany.

Marders arriving in Ukraine. 40 total have been handed over so far. Given German plans for Puma production, further handovers of Marders are very likely.

First sighting of AMX-10RCs in Ukrainian service.

Strykers heading through Germany, presumably to Ukraine.

TOW Bunker Buster missiles have shown up in Ukraine.

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
hat's mean everything from the West is not free from disinformation and propaganda. This means for non western especially those in the fences, doesn't mean has to take everything from West as truths.
This is correct when applied to western media and to a lesser extent western governments , however the scale of disinformation from Russia is of several magnitudes higher than what would come from most western governments who's statements are in the main are based on facts, but they do at times make significant omissions as opposed to direct falsehoods. In other words they will tell the truth but not the whole truth which can lead to misinterpretation. The back ground reason that they don't go to the level of the Russians is the significantly lower levels of corruption in the society of these countries in general. I do remember a post some time ago in which a ex Finnish intelligence experiences in Russian some years ago were referred too in regard to the general level of honesty in Russian society and the reasons for this, did you read this? There were several other references about that time.
There would be no government in the world that does not corrupt the truth from time to time to a greater or lesser extent. However in general, western in Governments this as I have said before, this is more of a case of omission to give a false impression than a direct lie.

Last edited:

KipPotapych

In other news, their wwas a big explosion in Ternopil, with a lot of misinformation surrounding it. A bunch of russian channels, tried to pass explosions in Syira and Iraq as the explosion in ternopil (which is sad, russian cyber patriots need to do better), but a few footages out seem to be more credible. rybar in particular is claiming it was an attack on a rail station.
According to rybar, it was a strike on the rail manufacturing and repair plant (my interpretation of the Google translate below):

But we can, with reference to our own undercover sources, confirm that a productive blow was delivered to the Ternopil Railway Mechanical Repair Plant. Most likely, the plant's capacities were used for the restoration and modernization of military equipment.

And a video of the explosion (authenticity is questionable? I don’t know):

Videos of another strike, in Khmelnytskyi, on the other hand, appear to be legit and that one, by the looks and sounds of it, was at an ammo dump. Another version suggests an oil/fuel storage facility was hit, but it seems to me the former is more likely. The second link shows a video of one of the big explosions (various sources suggest there were up to 10) and you can hear the smaller ones going in the “background”, which suggests to me it was not a fuel storage, but who knows.

P. S. Before joining this forum, I have never used Telegram for purposes other than communication.

Omo23

4 aircraft all shot down around the same time? Shortly after Ukraine received an assortment of mid-range and long-range western SAMs? I suppose it's possible. I suspect a Ukrainian op is more likely.
It totally impossible to shot down 4 of your in your own airspace.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not impossible but unlikely. Timing, and if the nature of the aircraft is accurate, suggest intent. And it's consistent with other factors as well as previous actions.

KipPotapych

^ I saw a “theory” bouncing around on a couple of Russian Telegram channels that they were shot down by AAM’s and the involving parties likely took off from none other but the Mirgorod airfield. Not sure if you remember, but we had a brief discussion back in… January or February (?) in regards to why it is still operational. Any thoughts on that “theory”? And why is that base still a thing?

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Who says that? The possibility exists that it will occur. The probability of such an act occurring is low but not zero.
^ I saw a “theory” bouncing around on a couple of Russian Telegram channels that they were shot down by AAM’s and the involving parties likely took off from none other but the Mirgorod airfield. Not sure if you remember, but we had a brief discussion back in… January or February (?) in regards to why it is still operational. Any thoughts on that “theory”? And why is that base still a thing?
It has been suggested that the AAMRAM was used.

Videos of the shootdowns.

Allegedly photo of Russian beach defences in Crimea.

Footage of Russian MTLB being attacked by a FVP loitering munition. Video is from both Ukrainian and Russian sources of the attack.

Video of Ukrainian deep air strike into Luhansk.

Allegedly remains of Storm Shadow missile used in Luhansk air strike.

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1657543222300667904

Series of videos of Ukrainian 56th Motorised Brigade seizing a series of Russian positions.

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1657161435762290689

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1657516903634546692

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1657518073723625472

Ukrainian Bradley IFV in Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/InUAOfficial/status/1657438055354056706

Oryx estimation of Russian IFV losses.

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1657433015629279232

Ukrainian video on its indigenous Oplot tank.

https://twitter.com/oleksiireznikov/status/1657060299847901185

Omo23

Not impossible but unlikely. Timing, and if the nature of the aircraft is accurate, suggest intent. And it's consistent with other factors as well as previous actions.
A very terrible friendly fire it is...and this solidify the panick in the Russian camp.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ukrainian forces have retaken the ruins of Novoselkovo. This small village was extremely contested and reduced to literally rubble. Since the village directly behind it, Kuz'movka, lies in a depression, Russian forces withdrew to nearby hills. It's unclear if this is the beginning of a more significant Ukrainian push.

Before last year invasion, Putin already talk about his red line on Ukraine. Most everyone in the West agree he will not going to invade, and call it his red line as a bluff. Well February last year, he call that bluff.

Personally for the sake of the world, I do hope he's bluffing on nuclear threat. However he also keep raising that tone on Russia existential threat. So let's see if he's bluffing this time. However last year invasion shown Putin and Russian Elites don't follow Western logic.
It’s all about the perceived consequences. Before the invasion, the Biden administration made big efforts to suggest there will be no consequences if Russia makes a small military operation in Ukraine. It was obviously a trap for Putin, which he fell into. He even named his invasion as a “special military operation” in the hope that the Americans will look the other way. But it was a trap and he is now caught in this quagmire with no good exit options.

Now, if the the Americans would want Russia to use tactical nukes, they could potentially fool them into believing there will be no consequences, but I don’t think the US administration wants to escalate it to this level, as the current situation is very favorable to the US. As long as the US explicitly tells Russia not to use nukes because there would be severe consequences if they do, Putin will not use nukes.

The same would have happened with the invasion if Trump was POTUS, because Trump would have explicitely told Putin not to invade. Even now, Trump is pretending that he would put a quick end to the war if he is elected president again, as he would force both sides to the negotiating table. But this is getting political so I will stop here, but I think you get my point.

Russia’s so called red lines are red only if the US doesn’t threaten retaliation, because they know very well they are in the wrong in this conflict.

swerve

Super Moderator
NATO/EU.

There are reports that France intends to purchase 40 Mirages from the UAE to transfer to Ukraine. This comes after reports that Ukrainian pilots were training on Mirages in France.

Presumably the UAE's Mirage 2000-9. 40 is an interesting number. It's not the entire surviving fleet, AFAIK. They're listed as having almost 60. But it's more than those upgraded from Mirage 2000AD.

KipPotapych

^ That’s not what happened. (<- referred to a post that has been moved to another thread)

In other news, plot thickens, lol. The Washington Post article today makes more revelations about Prigozhin. Allegedly, of course, and according to the previously leaked documents.

It is behind a paywall, so I’ll copy and paste a few excerpts:

In late January, with his mercenary forces dying by the thousands in a fight for the ruined city of Bakhmut, Wagner Group owner Yevgeniy Prigozhin made Ukraine an extraordinary offer.

Prigozhin said that if Ukraine’s commanders withdrew their soldiers from the area around Bakhmut, he would give Kyiv information on Russian troop positions, which Ukraine could use to attack them. Prigozhin conveyed the proposal to his contacts in Ukraine’s military intelligence directorate, with whom he has maintained secret communications during the course of the war, according to previously unreported U.S. intelligence documents leaked on the group-chat platform Discord.[…]

Two Ukrainian officials confirmed that Prigozhin has spoken several times to the Ukrainian intelligence directorate, known as HUR. One official said that Prigozhin extended the offer regarding Bakhmut more than once, but that Kyiv rejected it because officials don’t trust Prigozhin and thought his proposals could have been disingenuous.

A U.S. official also cautioned that there are similar doubts in Washington about Prigozhin’s intentions. The Ukrainian and U.S. officials spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive information.[…]

Other leaked documents reveal Russian Defense Ministry officials privately wondering how to respond to Prigozhin’s criticism of the military’s performance and his demands for more resources, which they apparently conceded were not illegitimate grievances. The documents also speak to a power struggle between Prigozhin and top officials, including Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu.

Against that tense backdrop, Prigohzin has carried on a secret relationship with Ukrainian intelligence that, in addition to phone calls, includes in-person meetings with HUR officers in an unspecified country in Africa, one document states.[…]

The leaked U.S. intelligence shows Prigozhin bemoaning the heavy toll that fighting has taken on his own forces and urging Ukraine to strike harder against Russian troops.

According to one document, Prigozhin told a Ukrainian intelligence officer that the Russian military was struggling with ammunition supplies. He advised Ukrainian forces to push forward with an assault on the border of Crimea, which Russia has illegally annexed, while Russian troop morale was low. The report also referred to other intelligence noting that Prigozhin was aware of plummeting morale among Wagner forces and that some of his fighters had balked at orders to deploy in the Bakhmut area under heavy fire, for fear of suffering more casualties.[…]

In wartime, it is not unusual for opposing parties to maintain some form of communication. And the documents don’t reveal Prigozhin’s intention in talking to his erstwhile foes in Ukraine. In an interview, a Ukrainian official characterized the contacts in the spirit of “keeping your friends close and your enemies closer.”[…]

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
^ That’s not what happened.

In other news, plot thickens, lol. The Washington Post article today makes more revelations about Prigozhin. Allegedly, of course, and according to the previously leaked documents.

It is behind a paywall, so I’ll copy and paste a few excerpts:
And Ukraine rightly, didn't trust him. More to the point Putin may take that offer as treason and Prigozhin may be defenestrated. Putin has quite low tolerance for such actions.

Larry_L

Presumably the UAE's Mirage 2000-9. 40 is an interesting number. It's not the entire surviving fleet, AFAIK. They're listed as having almost 60. But it's more than those upgraded from Mirage 2000AD.
I have been hoping for some secret way Ukraine would have better aircraft for their offensive, but this is probably not it. The Drive has put out a report that conflicts with information provided by Intelligence Online. It seems more likely that Indonesia will be getting the bulk of these aircraft while the rest will be recovered by France. The language is mostly the same that we hear all along, like "nothing is off the table" and "Ukraine has other needs". An unnamed official has said that “No buy-back for shipment to Ukraine is envisaged at this stage,”

Quote: “Regarding deliveries [of fighter jets] to Ukraine, we must study requests on a case-by-case basis and leave all the doors open,” Gassilloud said, after talks in London with British counterparts, including U.K. Defense Minister Ben Wallace.

On the positive side the UK announced that they will begin "basic training" for Ukraine pilots.

Quote: "This summer we will commence an elementary flying phase for cohorts of Ukrainian pilots to learn basic training. This will adapt the programe used by UK pilots to provide Ukrainians with piloting skills they can apply a different kind of aircraft. This training goes hand in hand with UK efforts to work with other countries on providing F16 jets – Ukraine’s fighter jets of choice. "

Last edited:

Larry_L

There are reports that Russia's 4th Motorized Rifle Brigade has lost two Colonels on the southern flanks of Bakhmut. It is unclear exactly what is happening here. Ukraine is losing ground inside the city while gaining ground on the flanks. In any case they have continued fixing Russian forces attention on this area while opening up the envelopment, allowing a withdrawal from the city if they wish. For awhile it looked like leaving the city would result in heavy losses.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update. Mar. 29th-Apr. 1st

Kherson-Nikolaev-Odessa.

Ukrainian mobilization efforts, Odessa.

Zaporozhye-Dnepropetrovsk.

Allegedly Ukrainian infantry withdrawing after a failed attack, Zaporozhye region.

Russian Su-25s lobbing rockets in Zaporozhye. Note they're so low that the UAV filming this is above them.

Russian Giatsint-B fires, Zaporozhye region. Note pre-war the Giatsint family of howitzers was almost completely withdrawn from service, only a few remained in Coastal Troops. With the losses taken in this war they became a prime candidate for reactivation. As a result they are now far more common in both their towed and SP variant.

Russian GMZ-3 minelayer working in Zaporozhye region.

Oskol Front.

Russia apparently striking Ukrainian positions in the woods of Kremennaya, then assaulting the position. Ukrainian troops appear to withdraw.

Allegedly a Ukrainian armored vehicle burns near Balka Zhuravka.

Apparently a Ukrainian POW captured by Russian forces near Kremennaya.

Russian strikes landing in Kharkov.

The Kharkov prison got hit. Allegedly a piece of it was being used as a Ukrainian staging area.

LDNR Front.

Ukrainian 2S1, SUV, and a UAZ van destroyed near Seversk.

Ukrainian infantry engaged on the streets of Artemovsk/Bakhmut.

Allegedly Ukrainian Grad getting hit near Artemovsk/Bakhmut.

Allegedly a Ukrainian missile strike against the AZOM factory in Artemovsk/Bakhmut. The facility fell to Wagner forces.

Ukrainian POWs allegedly captured by Wagner forces in Artemovsk/Bakhmut. I count 19.

Wagner forces raising flags on a tall buildings in Artemovsk/Bakhmut. With hindsight we know that Ukrainian forces will end up in a very small perimeter on the western outskirts.

Ukrainian M113 captured near Artemovsk/Bakhmut by Wagner forces.

A Ukrainian Strela-10 somewhere near Artemovsk/Bakhmut.

A Ukrainian M113 unit somewhere near Chasov Yar. Note distinct camo pattern. It's clearly UA pixel painted over their desert color.

Ukrainian MRAP in Chasov Yar. The town is a major artery for troops and supplies towards Artemovsk/Bakhmut.

Russian artillery hitting a Ukrainian mortar team. Note some appear to be wearing partly civilian attire. Avdeevka.

Ukrainian IFVs getting hit near Avdeevka.

Footage from March 19th of destroyed Russian vehicles near Avdeevka. We had some previous footage of those failed attacks.

Ukrainian tax office destroyed in Avdeevka after a Russian strike.

Reportedly two civilians were KIA in Avdeevka, presumably from Russian shelling.

3 destroyed Ukrainian Mastiff MRAPs and a BMP-1 near Vodyanoe. Note this area hasbeen contested for a while, and these vehicles might have been lost during Ukrainian counter-attack attempts that we saw here previously.

Russian forces in Mar'inka, we can see BMP-2 fires against alleged Ukrainian positions. We also see a rare Kamaz Grad variant. To the best of my knowledge only one artillery btln of such vehicles were ever received.

Russian incendiary munitions landing, Ugledar.

The ruins of the summer cottages in Ugledar. This is the area the 155th Marines have a foothold in.

DNR artillery hitting Ukrainian infantry in a treeline.

Battle damage in Druzhkovka from a Russian strike. The target was allegedly a Ukrainian staging area.

Some footage of the ruins of Severodonetsk. Unlike Mariupol', there are no significant reconstruction efforts underway here.

Russia.

Colonel General Teplinskiy, commander of the VDV, has been recalled from vacation and is heading to the front line in Ukraine. It's unclear what he will be taking command of.