The Russian-Ukrainian War Thread

Ranger25

Staff member
I fully understand that but does spinning the same narrative over and over again actually lead to.any tangible results or does it reveal weakness on the part of NATO? I'm pretty sure the Russians would have got the message at this stage. Ultimately, to move things forward requires compromises and trade off by both sides. I doubt if the Russians are going to back off because of the threat of sanctions or because of NATO battle groups deployed in the Baltics and Poland.

I could be sabre rattling which the Russians are good at at it it could be the prelude of an invasion. On thing's for sure, the Russians can't keep their troops forward deployed and at high readiness indefinitely.

Perhaps Putin has taken a page out of the DPRK playbook. Sabre rattling with the thoughts of NATO confessions.

Perhaps in regards to Aegis Ashore in Romania and Poland or against Future US MRBM systems. The US Army is working on several (close to being ready) longer range systems well beyond the previous ranges of 350KM. Systems from 500-1000KM are in the later stages of development.

STURM

Perhaps Putin has taken a page out of the DPRK playbook. Sabre rattling with the thoughts of NATO confessions.
I think sabre rattling in parallel with other actions; intended to deliver the intended political results or create the conditions where an opponent would be willing to compromise or make concessions is something the Russians have long been doing and have experience of. Putin I'm sure fully understands NATO and how far he can push things to get the desired effect.

Vivendi

But would not solve anything. As the cliche goes; some are more equal than others; Russia's demands can't be totally ignored; it's still a major power and one which has a large nuclear arsenal. As much as NATO would wish for a more 'cooperative' or 'docile' Russia; isn't going to happen anytime soon. As for demanding a return of the Crimea; great in principle but dicey in reality.
Not sure what you mean by "Russia's demands can't be totally ignored"; I suggested Ukraine should offer to stay outside of NATO, this was actually one of the key demands Russia have.

Why would return of Crimea be off the table? If Russia could get guarantees from Ukraine that Ukraine would not join NATO, they should be willing to return Crimea, of course also with a guarantee that they can keep their base there.

It would also be a huge mistake to assume that a future more democratic Russia would be more cooperative and ready to dance to the West's tune; it could be even more assertive than a Russia under Putin.
Not sure what you mean by "ready to dance to the West's tune". Europe and the US are willing to enter a dialog, and find agreements with Russia that can reduce the tensions. European countries in particular are extremely interested in reducing not increasing their defense spending, and return to "business as usual". They did reduce the defense spending after the cold war when Russia was not considered a threat. If Russia is willing to enter agreements that can convince Europe that they are not a threat then Europe will agree to remove troops from Eastern Europe, enter into missile agreements, etc. etc. The NATO buildup we see now is a reaction to Russian escalations and Russian threatening behavior, not the other way around.

Fair enough but the problem with U.S. and Brit intel is that since Iraq; there is quite a lot of public scepticism about how accurate they are. Granted they could not provide more details to protect their sources but ultimately we have no idea as to how credible/accurate they really are. I'm not suggesting that NATO was indulging in misinformation as part of a wider plan to deter Russia [maybe it was?]; merely questioning how accurate/credible the intel was. Also it could have also been intended for a Western audience and not necessarily for Putin.
Head of NATO has confirmed the that intelligence is made public to deter Russia from attacking. He represents all NATO countries not just the US and the UK, thus he is more credible than either US or UK official statements. He would not stay in the job for long if a several NATO countries decided that he did not do a good job. On the contrary NATO has prolonged his contract in the past, and asked him to prolong even further, demonstrating that in overall, NATO countries are very happy with what he is doing.

Another general note; you highlight the divisions within NATO. Keep in mind though that when Russia tried to exploit this by sending letters to several European countries (including non-NATO countries like Finland and Sweden) demanding that each country provide a separate response to Russia's demands. Europe refused to play ball, and sent back one united response to Russia, demonstrating European unity and cohesion. Of course different countries have different opinions. But faced with the current threat from Russia, they decided to speak with one voice. Another aspect of "different countries have different opinions" is that this is a strength not just a weakness. NATO and EU are both organizations of (mainly) democratic countries, and this is also reflected in how both organizations are organized and how they work. Having different perspectives and different opinions are strengths of a democracy, not just a weakness, as Russia, China (and you?) seem to believe.

Maybe but I could play devil's advocate and say that if indeed Russia had made a decision to ultimately invade; it would still have done so even if a false flag operation had been exposed. One plan was no longer feasible so they switched to another plan.
These are just speculations, we do not know. It may well be that the decision to invade has not been made yet. However, if this is the case. the implication is that a decision to not invade has also not been made.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not sure what you mean by "Russia's demands can't be totally ignored"; I suggested Ukraine should offer to stay outside of NATO, this was actually one of the key demands Russia have.

Why would return of Crimea be off the table? If Russia could get guarantees from Ukraine that Ukraine would not join NATO, they should be willing to return Crimea, of course also with a guarantee that they can keep their base there.
Russian annexed Crimea outright, invested tens of billions into local infrastructure, and handed out passports. Russia has repeatedly stated that returning Crimea isn't up for discussion. There's no way Putin can return Crimea with massively losing face and likely triggering a major internal crisis. It also leaves open the question of whether the population of Crimea would want to be returned to Ukraine (not likely). Even selling Donbass downriver would be regarded as a problematic move at best, and be widely seen, domestically, as a major defeat.

Not sure what you mean by "ready to dance to the West's tune". Europe and the US are willing to enter a dialog, and find agreements with Russia that can reduce the tensions. European countries in particular are extremely interested in reducing not increasing their defense spending, and return to "business as usual". They did reduce the defense spending after the cold war when Russia was not considered a threat. If Russia is willing to enter agreements that can convince Europe that they are not a threat then Europe will agree to remove troops from Eastern Europe, enter into missile agreements, etc. etc. The NATO buildup we see now is a reaction to Russian escalations and Russian threatening behavior, not the other way around.
Russia's problem is not only, and not so much, the NATO buildup as it is NATO expansion.

These are just speculations, we do not know. It may well be that the decision to invade has not been made yet. However, if this is the case. the implication is that a decision to not invade has also not been made.
It's possible that there never was any intent to invade. Unfortunately it's really not clear at this point.

STURM

Not sure what you mean by "Russia's demands can't be totally ignored"
It's self explanatory.Russia is too significant to to be ignored. NATO can reject some of its demands but not all of them. That is three-point of diplomacy as you very well know. Both sides having to make the needed compromises and trade offs to achieve a mutually beneficial agreement.

Why would return of Crimea be off the table?
You axtually believe that after everything which has happened, that Putin would willingly give it up? It's a preposterous as suggesting that Russia actually believea that NATO would be willing to withdraw from eastern Europe or that NATO should consider it..

The NATO buildup we see now is a reaction to Russian escalations and Russian threatening behavior, not the other way around.
So you say but what's happening now didn't happen in a vacuum did it? The Russians don't exactly see or perceive things they way you have. If they did things wouldn't have gotten to where they are now.

Head of NATO has confirmed the that intelligence is made public to deter Russia from attacking[/QUOTE]

Great and kudos to the esteemed gentleman but has it actually led to the desired result? As stated previously if Russia,was keen on invading it wouldn't careless if a supposed false flag had been exposed because it could still go ahead with an invasion using an existing or other pretext.

Having different perspectives and different opinions are strengths of a democracy, not just a weakness, as Russia, China (and you?) seem to believe
I'm quite familiar with the basic concepts or tenets of democracy and my reference to certain weakness on the part of NATO was due to a host of other factors, which I laid out in previous posts.

These are just speculations
Quite a lot of what we write/say is based on speculations, based on what we know, what we think we know, how we perceive things and how it fits in our narrative ...

What is not speculation is the fact that it's a two way street, agree or not Russia is acting in a way it has to in order to safeguard its interests against what it perceives has been long standing U.S. led NATO policy to progressively expand closer and closer to its borders.

Last edited:

Vivendi

It's self explanatory.Russia is too significant to to be ignored. NATO can reject some of its demands but not all of them.
You deleted the part where I wrote that my suggestion was that Ukraine should accept to not join NATO. This was one of the key demands from Russia. By meeting this key demand I don't understand why you say that "Russia's demands can't be totally ignored". Fully meeting one of Russia's key demands does not reconcile with the statement of "totally ignoring Russia's demands".

STURM

You deleted the part where I wrote that my suggestion was that Ukraine should accept to not join NATO..
Faie enough so here's me acknowledging it..

Ultimately its up to NATO and the Ukraine. To me a far more possible or plausible arrangement would be.for the Ukraine to continue to be a Western friendly country but one which is non aligned or even possibly even neutral. Perhaps this would be acceptable to Russia, assuming of course it was acceptable to the Ukraine.

meeting this key demand I don't understand why you say that "Russia's demands can't be totally ignored"
Again, the whole concept of diplomacy [as you very well know] is centered on the premise that both sides are willing to make certain compromises or concessions in order to reach a,mutually beneficial agreement.

NATO initially dismissed all of Russia's demands. I'm stating a,fact, not who's right or wrong or who is being unreasonable.

Last edited:

Vivendi

NATO initially dismissed all of Russia's demands. I'm stating a,fact, not who's right or wrong or who is being unreasonable.
OK, so we were just talking past each other. You misunderstood what I said, and I consequently misunderstood what you were trying to say.

denix56

The Ukrainian Secretary of the Verkhovna Rada Committee on National Security has told, that he sees at most 130k Russians including the LDNR guys. He also told that Russia (as well as Ukraine) has problems in its battle groups, as most of them are not battle-ready, forcing Russia to combine multiple battle-ready units to form battle-ready groups leaving the rest as the background.

While I am suspicious on what my government says, it does not look like completely unreal, as organisation and readiness was/ is a big issue in all post-Soviet countries, as armies were oriented mainly to be able to show neighbors that they are powerful and numerous, not to perform some successful real large-scale operations.

swerve

Super Moderator
Again, the whole concept of diplomacy [as you very well know] is centered on the premise that both sides are willing to make certain compromises or concessions in order to reach a,mutually beneficial agreement.
Yes, but sometimes one party makes completely unreasonable demands & there's no scope for compromise. See Argentina & the Falklands, where they insist that the UK accepts certain conditions before negotiating on anything else, & those conditions are the ones the UK considers non-negotiable, such as the Falkland Islanders being excluded from the negotiations.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update.

Belarus.

United Resolve 2022 continues. One of the highlights is the formation of a joint missile unit, including Belorussian Polonez systems and Russian Iskanders.

Lukashenko says that recognition of the LDNR would come only jointly with Russia and be mutually advantageous. He also said he can't exclude Belarus may choose to do so.

Russia.

Another troop train leaves Crimea.

The Russian embassy in Ukraine appears to be burning papers.

The Rebels.

There are increased reports of exchanges of shellings on the front line. Artillery shells have landed inside Donetsk. Rebel positions near the Donetsk airport have also been hit. There are also allegations that a kindergarten on the Ukrainian side of the front line was hit by rebel shellings.

Khodakovsky, a former rebel leader, called on veterans of the rebel forces to be ready to return to action.

DNR sources claim that Ukraine is planning an amphibious operation on the Azov sea.

LNR sources report a sharp increase in exchanges of fire at the front line. They are of course blaming Ukraine.

DNR sources report that Ukraine is preparing to evacuate the Rada and the office of the president. The reliability of the claim is unclear.

The West.

OSCE observers report over 500 explosions in the Donbass over 24 hours.

Blinken suggested that a false flag terrorist attack or chemical weapons attack would be the pretext for a Russian invasion.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
When an adversarial Embassy starts burning papers it generally means that trouble is a coming soon. The next thing to watch for would be Russian diplomatic staff family movements and the movements of the diplomatic staff themselves. If Belarus has an Embassy in Kiev what are they up to as well?

Vivendi

Is it likely that Ukraine would choose this moment in time to launch attacks on the rebels in Donbas? With 150,000 Russian troops close to the Ukrainian border it seems suicidal to attack Donbas now. Thus the most logical explanation is that the shelling we see is instigated by the Russians and their collaborators in Donbas, as provocations.

The Norwegian Minister of Defense is not attending the Munich security conference starting today. It was reported yesterday that he abruptly changed travel plans and returned to Norway "to be available to make decisions". He refers to the Ukraine situation. Highly unusual, and a bit peculiar since Norway is quite far from Ukraine.

The Norwegian foreign minister is attending the Munich conference.

Forsvarsministeren avlyser reise til sikkerhetskonferanse (forsvaretsforum.no)

Last edited:

swerve

Super Moderator
Not that peculiar. Norway has a border with Russia. So do four other NATO countries, three of which also have borders with Belarus, & Russia has made demands that NATO should withdraw from at least some of them & linked those demands to Ukraine.

swerve

Super Moderator
When an adversarial Embassy starts burning papers it generally means that trouble is a coming soon. The next thing to watch for would be Russian diplomatic staff family movements and the movements of the diplomatic staff themselves. If Belarus has an Embassy in Kiev what are they up to as well?
Countries usually have embassies in neighbouringcountries, however few diplomatic missions they may have in total, & Belarus is no exception.

The ambassador is Igor Sokol & the phone number is +38 044 537-52-00. It's at 3 M. Kotsiubynskoho Street.

Vivendi

Not that peculiar. Norway has a border with Russia. So do four other NATO countries, three of which also have borders with Belarus, & Russia has made demands that NATO should withdraw from at least some of them & linked those demands to Ukraine.
I still don't see how this can lead to events that would trigger the Norwegian minister of defense to have to make urgent decisions during this weekend. Do you have specific scenarios in mind?

Perhaps he just wants to be in Norway during the Russian nuclear missile testing that has been announced for tomorrow, in part taking place in Norwegian EEZ? That's the only thing I can think of at the moment.

STURM

When an adversarial Embassy starts burning papers it generally means that trouble is a coming soon.
It certainly does but one would think they'd do it without it being known outside the embassy. If I recall correctly days before Babarossa the Soviets got wind of the fact that the Germans were burning documents at their embassy. In this why would the Russians let it be known that they've burnt documents, unless of course the intention was to make it known.

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is it likely that Ukraine would choose this moment in time to launch attacks on the rebels in Donbas? With 150,000 Russian troops close to the Ukrainian border it seems suicidal to attack Donbas now. Thus the most logical explanation is that the shelling we see is instigated by the Russians and their collaborators in Donbas, as provocations.

The Norwegian Minister of Defense is not attending the Munich security conference starting today. It was reported yesterday that he abruptly changed travel plans and returned to Norway "to be available to make decisions". He refers to the Ukraine situation. Highly unusual, and a bit peculiar since Norway is quite far from Ukraine.

The Norwegian foreign minister is attending the Munich conference.

Forsvarsministeren avlyser reise til sikkerhetskonferanse (forsvaretsforum.no)
Let's see what happens. Saakashvili chose the unlikely moment to attack right after Russia ended exercises in which they practiced defending and counter-attacking in that exact scenario. And he did this despite western partners repeatedly advising him against it. Keep in mind the other side of the story. Russia has been saying that Ukraine is preparing an attack against the LDNR this entire time.

Both the LNR and DNR have announced civilian evacuations in the expectation of an imminent Ukrainian attack. In Donetsk, civil defense sirens are going off. This comes after shellings have hit the city.

Ukrainian military inside sources state that they've gotten unofficial permission to open fire. There are reports of sporadic exchanges of fire along various sides of the front line.

Sandhi Yudha

It indeed seems that the rebels announced the start of evacuations of civillians.

And what Feanor alreqdy told, Ukrainian troops have used heavy artllery.

Last edited:

Vivendi

Let's see what happens. Saakashvili chose the unlikely moment to attack right after Russia ended exercises in which they practiced defending and counter-attacking in that exact scenario. And he did this despite western partners repeatedly advising him against it. Keep in mind the other side of the story. Russia has been saying that Ukraine is preparing an attack against the LDNR this entire time.
Saakashvili was probably mentally unstable. In any case, Ukrainian leadership has both the benefit of hindsight from the "Georgia incident" that you refer to, but have also been exposed to Russian aggression since 2014. The Russian troops are much more capable than in 2008. Also, the buildup of Russian troops around Ukraine is unprecedented, with more than 150,000 soldiers! What is the logic of attacking Donbass now? If Ukraine did so, they would lose everything. Russia would have a pretext to invade, and Ukraine would lose goodwill and sympathy in Europe, US and Canada. As I said, it would be suicidal. What Georgia did in 2008, even with the limited information available at that time, was stupid. For Ukraine to become aggressive now, given what we know about the Russian playbook in combination with the current situation, would be insane.

Russia has plenty of agents within Ukraine. Russia has also plenty of experience in planning and executing false flag operations.

Note that Russia is now claiming that OSCE is not to be trusted anymore. So after being a respected and unbiased observer of the conflict for so many years, they are suddenly, at this particular moment, becoming unreliable and biased? Very convenient for the rebels, and for Russia.